Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Wrexham beats Man U

/Thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Nondevor posted:

Upsets like that Man U match are always great. I also appreciate how Bailey keeps featuring in the extra skits even though he barely plays in Premier League soccer. Wrexham's best iconic player :unsmith:
I really hope he gets good coaching stats :3:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

JT Jag posted:

I really hope he gets good coaching stats :3:

Then win a voting contest when he becomes a coach to ensure it. :) Giving me a 4.5 or even 5 star coach at that point is fine when I already have someone almost as good.

He's got a role with the team as long as he's active, I'll be renewing his contract at the end of the season.

PotatoManJack posted:

Wrexham beats Man U

/Thread

We haven't beaten them in the Champions League final yet. :)

Lokesin
Apr 20, 2013
Finally caught up with the thread a few days ago, had some ideas on the nicknames front.

I've been calling Mateo Mujkic 'Magic Meteor' in my head, and Scott Shirra 'The Sheriff'.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

habeasdorkus posted:

I've spent the last few years building up an immunity to vegemite.

As a man who's tried vegemite, I pray for your soul.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
I like "Shooter" or "Shoota'" for Shirra. It's simple.

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Lokesin posted:

Finally caught up with the thread a few days ago, had some ideas on the nicknames front.

I've been calling Mateo Mujkic 'Magic Meteor' in my head, and Scott Shirra 'The Sheriff'.

I can get behind 'the sheriff' for Scottie

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
It waa nice to be back in Wrexham. Reminded me of happier times. Times I was in charge of England's most shocking club.

Not a relegation contender.

:smith:

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Sky Shadowing posted:

It waa nice to be back in Wrexham. Reminded me of happier times. Times I was in charge of England's most shocking club.

Not a relegation contender.

:smith:

England's most shocking club? No wonder you're down on the south coast now, boyo! Pleidiol Wyf I'm Gwlad!

Anyway. My re-election campaign.

Any questions? :colbert:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Silly AJ_Impy, everyone knows that the President's role is to embezzle money out of the club.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Tehan posted:

Silly AJ_Impy, everyone knows that the President's role is to embezzle money out of the club.

Hypothetically, let's say the vast amounts of 'other' on our accounts is getting funnelled into my pockets. That doesn't mean I can't throw a few thousand at the team if the whim takes me. If it's helping me to get richer, why wouldn't I want it to keep doing so? I stand by my promises: I want the League, the Champion's League, and Arsenal relegated.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Tehan posted:

You've got to clean it before you embezzle it!

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

chiefnewo posted:

You've got to clean it before you embezzle it!

Regarding this, a question about RL football:

In Spain, club owners are the luckiest bastards and will routinely* win second or third prizes in the lottery year after year. Does it happen in other countries, too?

*This may be an exaggeration, but it has happened quite often, because buying a winning ticket for an extra 10-15% is a good way of laundering money. We are up there with Italy in the rank of European countries with the biggest submerged economy. As a bonus, lottery prizes were exempt from taxes until last year or so.

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:35 on May 8, 2014

CVE
Jan 27, 2012

Tehan posted:

You don't know the half of it. He is embezzeling so much it's getting troublesome to hide it in the books or make up new asine cost to hide them in.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

AJ_Impy posted:

England's most shocking club? No wonder you're down on the south coast now, boyo! Pleidiol Wyf I'm Gwlad!

Club is in Wales, but plays in the English leagues, old boy, which is what I meant. Can't be the talk of Wales when everyone expected it. :smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CVE posted:

You don't know the half of it. He is embezzeling so much it's getting troublesome to hide it in the books or make up new asine cost to hide them in.

Nowadays stealing is so difficult you need to get your club into the Champion's League to get a decent deal going. It's a disgrace I tell ya

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fat Samurai posted:

Regarding this, a question about RL football:

In Spain, club owners are the luckiest bastards and will routinely* win second or third prizes in the lottery year after year. Does it happen in other countries, too?

Nah, here in the US we just call all of our professional sports leagues "non-profit" and let them get away with all sorts of fiscal skulduggery.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Nowadays stealing is so difficult you need to get your club into the Champion's League to get a decent deal going. It's a disgrace I tell ya

We're actually in the red so far this year. The primary reason is that "non-soccer costs" and "other" expenses are going to more than double from last year, otherwise we'd be well in the black. I'm OK with this on one condition, that AJ_Impy is funnelling all of that money to building me my dragon.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

habeasdorkus posted:

We're actually in the red so far this year. The primary reason is that "non-soccer costs" and "other" expenses are going to more than double from last year, otherwise we'd be well in the black. I'm OK with this on one condition, that AJ_Impy is funnelling all of that money to building me my dragon.

I promised you that dragon, and I Meant it. :colbert:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I feel like I need to mention this to the board, the present date is New Years eve:

The offer is negotiable, and while it's lower than I'd accept it's not so risible as to reject out of hand. Mujkic has 11 goals and 7 assists on the season, and is the 4th highest rated player in the Premier League. He's only 23.

Thoughts?

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
It's about time we had a Megabastard try to steal one of our players. I don't know how realistic it is that we'll be able to keep ahold of the mighty meteor with the interest of a club like Barcelona. If you do need to sell him, make them pay through the nose for him.

Could easily backfire as well and put his contract demands well out of our reach (for now).

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

See if they accept 25 million, something like 15% of next sale, any other add ons you can think of, and a friendly. If the big boys are coming in for him (And since one is, that means the others aren't far behind) then we don't have a great chance at holding on to him. Hell, the fact that we've kept him this long is pretty amazing. And, at Barcelona, at least we don't have to play him twice a year.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
No. He and Rocky seem like they're developing a real rapport and we don't want to gently caress that up.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Now that the big boys are sniffing, what are the odds that he'll pout if he doesn't get to go to an elite club? If you think this is as close to max value as you'll get for him, pull the trigger.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
What do we spend the money on? Where are we thin?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
No on selling The Meteor. He's a pillar of the team, and part of our 1-2 frontline punch.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Zanziabar posted:

It's about time we had a Megabastard try to steal one of our players. I don't know how realistic it is that we'll be able to keep ahold of the mighty meteor with the interest of a club like Barcelona. If you do need to sell him, make them pay through the nose for him.

Could easily backfire as well and put his contract demands well out of our reach (for now).

Well, I'm under the opinion that teams in Europe sell their players far too easily. But he's only under contract for another year and a half, so it's not like we have him safely signed long term.

the JJ posted:

What do we spend the money on? Where are we thin?

Well, left wing to start. Without Mujkic we have only Mejasic, Petts, and a youth player (Argenti) ready to step into his positions at mid and attacking left. Left back too. And really, all of our positions except for striker and attacking central midfielder could be improved. We have players who will, after they develop, be very good at most spots. But they're all young and so aren't at their full potential yet.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Now that the big boys are sniffing, what are the odds that he'll pout if he doesn't get to go to an elite club? If you think this is as close to max value as you'll get for him, pull the trigger.

Not even close to max value, he's 23 and still able to improve for another year or two. The problem is if he doesn't want to sign a new contract at the end of the season we've only got him for 1 more year and might have trouble ever getting more value for him.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

I thought he'd be sated if Wrexham at least makes it to the Europa League. Now I know you know more than we do about Wrexham's standing in the table, but right now I'm highly confident we can get there and hopefully extend his contract.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

If you can get him for 28 plus sweeteners eg friendly do it. Also what's the biggest transfer you've seen in fm?

LionYeti fucked around with this message at 03:14 on May 9, 2014

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

They can pry the Meteor from our cold, dead hands. We'll always be able to make more money; We'll likely never have another chance to mold a literal prodigy from the tender age of 19.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Ask for 40m and their first-born, if they say yes pull the trigger.

Alternatively the Browns are open to deals tonight. Draft Day was a documentary apparently.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Never Meteor is a staple of Wrexham. Selling would be sacrilege.

Lokesin
Apr 20, 2013
I don't really like the idea of selling Mujkic. You've gone to a hell of an effort to keep him in the club, and now that it's finally paying off in big ways (Hi Man U!), the megabastards want him. No.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Well, left wing to start. Without Mujkic we have only Mejasic, Petts, and a youth player (Argenti) ready to step into his positions at mid and attacking left. Left back too. And really, all of our positions except for striker and attacking central midfielder could be improved. We have players who will, after they develop, be very good at most spots. But they're all young and so aren't at their full potential yet.

Selling a left winger to buy a different left winger doesn't sound great but passing off one wonderboy to get, what, three-ish very good players...

I guess maybe we sit on it and see if we need depth or dazzle more as the year goes on.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

habeasdorkus posted:

I feel like I need to mention this to the board, the present date is New Years eve:

The offer is negotiable, and while it's lower than I'd accept it's not so risible as to reject out of hand. Mujkic has 11 goals and 7 assists on the season, and is the 4th highest rated player in the Premier League. He's only 23.

Thoughts?

Unless they offer half their squad, we're keeping Meteor :colbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
If you can get £30-35M+ for Mujkik you gotta take that offer, you can get a ton of great prospects with that money.

Not a cent less.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

JT Jag posted:

If you can get £30-35M+ for Mujkik you gotta take that offer, you can get a ton of great prospects with that money.

Not a cent less.

A wonderkid in the hand is worth 2 in the youth stables. :colbert:

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010
Exactly, don't sell him for peanuts because of how important he is but his sale could let us improve the overall quality of the team to better challenge for Europe and or a decent cup run. If they're interested and they are, they have the funds to get him if they really want. Of course, we could just pull off an alternate time line Tottenham and flounder for a few seasons after selling our wonderkid.

Trundel
Mar 13, 2005

:10bux: + :awesomelon: = :roboluv:
- a sound investment!
Is there the chance that selling vs not selling will negatively affect the board's opinion of you?

I'm torn on selling the Meteor though... all that money could buy a lot of statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Stall the decision and see if Mujkic will accept a new contract for what you consider to be reasonable wages. If he signs, Barca can kiss off; if not, you can cash in. But not for £22m, though. Take 'em to the cleaners.

• Locked thread