Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

flare posted:

No it was pretty in out. I'll go ahead and schedule it.

Called the vet and the vet tech assured me that in the southeast US this is super common and I should expect it at least once a year. She also seemed pretty confident it was a tape worm and I'm going to pick up some topical medication for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidulus
May 6, 2014

Eyeball Kid
I've been asking this question on and off of other people and I would like to get your take on it.

In the projected future, I would like to get a diamond or ring-necked dove and while I'm waiting for my life to more or less settle down, I've just been doing cursory research on how to introduce a bird to an already catted home. The cat I already have is about 6-years-old and hasn't exhibited as strong of a drive to hunt as I've seen in some other cats. Still, I don't trust my cat on her own volitions and want to be prepared with knowledge on what to do/expect.

Note- the closer I get to actually buying the bird, I do want to consult my cat's vet about what to do, but any additional advice is certainly appreciated.

Also, here's a picture of my fluffy butt (ignore the ugly-rear end wallpaper)-

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sidulus posted:

I've been asking this question on and off of other people and I would like to get your take on it.

In the projected future, I would like to get a diamond or ring-necked dove and while I'm waiting for my life to more or less settle down, I've just been doing cursory research on how to introduce a bird to an already catted home. The cat I already have is about 6-years-old and hasn't exhibited as strong of a drive to hunt as I've seen in some other cats. Still, I don't trust my cat on her own volitions and want to be prepared with knowledge on what to do/expect.

Note- the closer I get to actually buying the bird, I do want to consult my cat's vet about what to do, but any additional advice is certainly appreciated.

Wow. You really do go for expensive cat food.

Sidulus
May 6, 2014

Eyeball Kid

Deteriorata posted:

Wow. You really do go for expensive cat food.

I was going to get my cat her own personal chicken coop, but the neighbors objected. They just don't understand my cat's refined palette.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

What's a good brand of wet food?

entire thread for this question:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3549663&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

Sidulus posted:

You're on the right track. Never trust your cat, no matter how blase she will seem about the bird (also doves are social so get two. :)) Doves aren't really climbing birds like parrots, so I'd recommend getting a cage with very, very tight bar spacing to keep paws out. Doves themselves actually spend a lot of time foraging on the ground, so maybe something like a Critter Nation (typically made for rats, but a really giant cage with really small bars) would work. Always make sure the door is closed between the cat and the birds when you're not there to supervise.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
I'm sure something like this has been asked before somewhere in the thread, but search doesn't seem to be working.. I love cats, but I am moderately allergic to them. I have two young kids at home, no pets currently, and the house is usually empty during weekday working hours. If it weren't for the allergies, I'd definitely be adopting mutts from a shelter, but I've heard that certain breeds are semi-hypoallergenic (supposedly some produce less of the allergen compound in their saliva than an average cat). While I appreciate the thread title's advice, I'd really prefer not to buy two very expensive purebreed cats if possible. Given all this, I'd love some advice from anyone knowledgeable. (I've heard Siberians are hypoallergenic and great with kids (and they look beautiful), but also that they are very social and might not do that well alone all day.)

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I've also heard that some breeds are somehow less allergenic - Russian Blue is one I've read - but in my experience being a cat allergy sufferer, I am most allergic to cats that have not been spayed or neutered, especially males. I am also more allergic to neutered males than spayed females. I think it may have to do with whatever hormone in their dander that causes my allergies?

With a good air filter, daily claritin, and time, I've become immune to my own cats, but it took about two months to achieve that end. It was a rough two months - when I first got Ozma she was unspayed and my eyes swelled completely shut. Bad times! But now, over a year later, I'm able to rub my face in her belly with no real ill effects. My skin will get slightly itchy if Pizza goes overboard nuzzling me, which he does frequently, but washing the area takes care of that. They also make anti-allergy cat wipes that are little cat-safe moist towlettes which may be useless but they don't call it the placebo "effect" because it does nothing.

If you think you can power through the time before you build up a resistance to your own pet and don't mind daily allergy meds, based on my personal experience which is not a guaranteed experience, I'd say go for it. Neither of my cats are pure bred.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Huntersoninski posted:

I've also heard that some breeds are somehow less allergenic - Russian Blue is one I've read - but in my experience being a cat allergy sufferer, I am most allergic to cats that have not been spayed or neutered, especially males. I am also more allergic to neutered males than spayed females. I think it may have to do with whatever hormone in their dander that causes my allergies?

The site that lists hypoallergenic breeds also says this-- unfixed cats and male cats are more allergenic, supposedly. Dunno if it's a reputable site but its here. It also says Balinese produce less allergen than most cats. Wikipedia agrees, but the source linked is... that article :raise:

Huntersoninski posted:

If you think you can power through the time before you build up a resistance to your own pet and don't mind daily allergy meds, based on my personal experience which is not a guaranteed experience, I'd say go for it. Neither of my cats are pure bred.

I don't mind that if it works, but I would hate to take home a new kitty, have me and my whole family get attached to it, only to realize a month later that its just not working and that we have to give kitty back. I guess nothing is guaranteed, even with a "hypoallergenic" breed, but is there any way to get an idea ahead of time whether or not I'll successfully adjust? I assume just spending a day at the shelter isn't going to be the same..

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
I instantly started sniffling when I entered the humane society for the first time but I am now perfectly fine with my two spayed DSHs. I still have a gigantic thing of cetirizine, but I never really use it.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
FWIW, when I was young, I was very allergic to cats. They made my nose run hugely, constant coughing and sneezing, eyes run and get bloodshot, etc. I basically couldn't sleep in any house that had had cats in it any time in the past few years. My brothers were the same way.

Then I moved in with my old roommate, they had a single, fixed Manx female. It was bad for about two weeks, then it abruptly went away. I never used any allergy meds or anything. Now both my cats sleep on my bed and everything, and I can even have them up in my face without any problem.

One of my two brothers also overcame the allergy by just living with his ex-wife's four cats for years. The other brother hasn't, but he never moved in with cats either.

Sidulus
May 6, 2014

Eyeball Kid

Rodent Mortician posted:

You're on the right track. Never trust your cat, no matter how blase she will seem about the bird (also doves are social so get two. :)) Doves aren't really climbing birds like parrots, so I'd recommend getting a cage with very, very tight bar spacing to keep paws out. Doves themselves actually spend a lot of time foraging on the ground, so maybe something like a Critter Nation (typically made for rats, but a really giant cage with really small bars) would work. Always make sure the door is closed between the cat and the birds when you're not there to supervise.

Thanks for the advice.

Honestly, she's an indoor cat so I'm not exactly sure how she'd react to a bird that is not blocked off via a window, but, again, being a hunting animal by nature I want to err on the side of caution more than anything else.

The tip about the cages is good. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

Have you heard anything about acclimating a cat to the bird being out of the cage while you're around to supervise the two of them?

Buddy_Cthulhu
Jun 10, 2005

Dr VideoGames 0.299 posted:

Any suggestions? I don't want my cat to spiral into a deep cat depression because it thinks life is pointless if it can't catch the red dot.

Cleo is pretty finicky and gets bored with toys easily, but holy poo poo does she love a tiny mouse on a wire.
http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Catcher-Teaser-Wand-Mouse/dp/B000LPOUNW

She's yanked two out of the handle so far from how hard she goes after the things.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Did a post in the pet nutrition thread, but no responses yet, so a quick question for UK goons - any opinion on Butchers cat food?

Ingredients list is grain and soy free, so it's already head and shoulders above every other common brand.

Asking because the food I was feeding has suddenly changed their recipe - added broth, now neither cat will eat it, and they've so far turned their noses up at the selection of premium foods I'm trying to test them with.

I can't slowly transition them on to new food because the recipe changed with no warning.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Lays down and sleeps right there while I'm trying to play World of Tanks...

Calling him Tigger now because of his stripes and him being a feisty little fella. Intimidated a grown black male cat I keep outside and so far Tigger seems to be the one in charge when they interact. :v:

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

Lays down and sleeps right there while I'm trying to play World of Tanks...

Calling him Tigger now because of his stripes and him being a feisty little fella. Intimidated a grown black male cat I keep outside and so far Tigger seems to be the one in charge when they interact. :v:

If you didn't want him to sleep, why did you use the sleep button on the remote then?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Drythe posted:

If you didn't want him to sleep, why did you use the sleep button on the remote then?

Oh you.

endlessmonotony posted:

DO NOT USE A FLEA COLLAR.

Forgot to ask about this before, what is the reason(s) to not use a flea collar?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

MariusLecter posted:

Oh you.

Forgot to ask about this before, what is the reason(s) to not use a flea collar?

Biggest reason is that they don't really work very well. Flea treatments that you apply to the animal's skin and makes their blood toxic to fleas and ticks are far more effective.

We use Revolution with our cats. One application each month, and they're completely free of parasites.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Bought my cat a catnip plant from the supermarket.

He's eaten a quarter of it so far. :lsd:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Mister Macys posted:

Bought my cat a catnip plant from the supermarket.

He's eaten a quarter of it so far. :lsd:

That's restrained. When we grow catnip in pots (cat pot in pots, geddit?) we put half inch wire mesh in a sort of bubble round/over the plant and anchor the base heavily. The cats nibble off anything that pokes out but don't ruin the plant.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
I wanted to update that our cat does, in fact, LOVE Da Bird and it's become the toy of choice. She doesn't even bother with the laser any more. I feel like a parent whose kid has chosen books over videogames.

My only complaint about Da Bird is how quickly she's chewed the feathers off of it and now all we have is a red plastic nub. I'm thinking I need to go a craft store, get some fake feathers and some Gorilla Glue and make a longer lasting toy.

Inasfar as the biting, she still occasionally lunges for our hands while petting or scratching. Like, I'll put my hand down in front of her face, and she'll sniff it and then push her head and body into my hand, and I pet or scratch accordingly, but after a few moments she'll whip around with her fangs out and I jerk my hand away and yell NO.

I don't know if this is the proper way to discourage her from biting. I don't know if CAN discourage her. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to live with an animal I'm constantly afraid is going to bite the poo poo out of me.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

I don't know if this is the proper way to discourage her from biting. I don't know if CAN discourage her. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want to live with an animal I'm constantly afraid is going to bite the poo poo out of me.
Watch for a wagging tail. Usually cats who get overstimulated have a 'tell' in their body language before they lash out. Other than that, implement a two-second rule for petting, then disengage. When you've gone for a week without any biting (or near-biting), start to slowly increase the time. She may never be a cat who you can pet for long, but you should be able to predict and prevent bites.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

I'm sure something like this has been asked before somewhere in the thread, but search doesn't seem to be working.. I love cats, but I am moderately allergic to them.

My allergist recommended Allerpet-c and it has been great! I wet them down 2-3 times a week and I can snuggle without getting a rash. Also get a good hepa filter vacuum and you're good to go with any cat.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:
Here's my cat Pistachio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfGP4_RaGXY
Short video my girlfriend recorded.

Being snuggled at my desk.

She's cute as hell and I love her. I also have a black cat named Shadowfax but I don't have any videos of him uploaded at the moment. :ohdear: Soon!

Quick question, are there any pet harnesses for cats that are particularly safer than others? Any goon advice from those that have taken their cats out on a leash? It's more so she can be outside and supervised, as we live on a busy intersection corner but have a nice yard for a cat.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
We got a small harness with a strap around the neck and one that goes behind the front legs, with a strap that connects both that runs down the back where the leash attaches for our cat. We also got a bungee leash, I read those were preferable because cats tend to wander and sometimes lurch and this prevents them from pulling too much and potentially hurting themselves or ripping the leash out of your hands.

The cat took to it well and we brought him outside a few times earlier this year, he seemed to enjoy himself but I had to watch to make sure he didn't try squeezing behind or under things where I couldn't follow with the leash. And be weary around trees, I would not want to let my cat climb a tree and get away from me.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

And be weary around trees, I would not want to let my cat climb a tree and get away from me.

When I was at the old apartment and let Buttercup out on a leash he would use the trees nearby to get onto my shoulders. But unless you're dealing with a known shoulder mounted cat it can be an issue.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

My only complaint about Da Bird is how quickly she's chewed the feathers off of it and now all we have is a red plastic nub. I'm thinking I need to go a craft store, get some fake feathers and some Gorilla Glue and make a longer lasting toy.
I'd be worried that chewing on the glued parts would get the cat sick, or the scent of it might make them lose interest in the toy... they do sell replacement "birds" for Da Bird, even economy-size packs of them.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Our mostly indoor cat when missing for a week and half and we eventually got her back safe and sound, but skinny as hell. Any tips on how to fatten the little jerk back up?

mistressminako
Aug 4, 2007

Beware the man in the wheelchair lurking off-screen.

AuxPriest posted:

Quick question, are there any pet harnesses for cats that are particularly safer than others? Any goon advice from those that have taken their cats out on a leash? It's more so she can be outside and supervised, as we live on a busy intersection corner but have a nice yard for a cat.

I use Come With Me Kitty. It's a nylon strap harness that hooks around the back and shoulders. I also have a MetPet Walking Jacket but my current cat has broken out of it several times and it goes around the neck which had the potential to choke the cat on the lead.

I take my cat to the vet in only the harness and he never has had a problem.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

AuxPriest posted:

I have a Kitty Holster brand jacket thing and my buddy Harold (the only of our 4 cats that actively wants to go outside) loves it.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Cornuto posted:

Our mostly indoor cat when missing for a week and half and we eventually got her back safe and sound, but skinny as hell. Any tips on how to fatten the little jerk back up?

Supplement her dry food with wet food? Seemed to work for the underweight rescue I had.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

Downhome posted:

Buy a Da Bird and allow your cat to have a ball...

http://www.amazon.com/GoCat-Apart-F...eywords=da+bird

Here is our Clancy playing with it for the first time a year ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRzduHZXODY

The toy simulates the way a bird flies around with the fluttering of wings, and cats love it to death. I can't recommend this toy enough, especially at this price.

Took your advice on this one and my cat Noobert loves the thing. Excellent recommendation. He chased it until he could chase it no more. It's funny because he ended up panting exactly as yours did in the video.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Even Buttercup approved of Da Bird.

One of the only toys I could ever get him interested in. I'd know when playtime was done because he'd just hold onto it with one paw, claws out and not let go. Afterwards, headbutts...

Steezo fucked around with this message at 09:24 on May 10, 2014

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I have a 17 lb cat who recently snuck outside and managed to bring a flea infestation into the house. I bought some Advantage II for him and my other normal size cat. It seems to be working for the normal size cat, but the fat one still seems to have fleas, particularly around his tail and hind quarters. Should I be giving him a double dose of Advantage since he's so fat?

And if you guys have ideas for removing fleas from carpets, beds, couches etc. I'd love to hear em. I've vacuumed everything, spread borax on all the carpets and the vacuumed it up, set out little trays of soapy water in all carpeted rooms, and I'm still finding some refugees.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

coronaball posted:

I have a 17 lb cat who recently snuck outside and managed to bring a flea infestation into the house. I bought some Advantage II for him and my other normal size cat. It seems to be working for the normal size cat, but the fat one still seems to have fleas, particularly around his tail and hind quarters. Should I be giving him a double dose of Advantage since he's so fat?

And if you guys have ideas for removing fleas from carpets, beds, couches etc. I'd love to hear em. I've vacuumed everything, spread borax on all the carpets and the vacuumed it up, set out little trays of soapy water in all carpeted rooms, and I'm still finding some refugees.

They usually have a different type for cats larger than ten pounds.

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

My cat finally responds to Da Bird now. She used to cower in fear from it, now she must kill it.

Carlton Banks
Jan 5, 2004

"The Tigers' biggest obstacle to a championship will be keeping a straight face. The Tigers in three."
I'm moving from IL to CO next month and I'm worried about what to do with my cat since she freaks the gently caress out over 3 block drives to the vet, so I can only imagine how much a ~1000 mile drive is going to traumatize her. Do you guys have any thoughts about vet sedation vs Thundershirts? Or are there any better options? Sedation seems like it would be risky (and who knows what will happen when she wakes up halfway through the trip), but I've also never seen anyone use Thundershirts so I have no clue if they actually work for severe anxiety.

(I could have swore I saw this discussed at some point, but search shows nothing, sooo)

Bonus picture of the fat ball of fur in question:

CompactFanny
Oct 1, 2008

Re: fleas

You have to vacuum A LOT. Try to do it twice or more every day until it's under control. I wouldn't double dose fatcat, call the vet and ask them first.

DisMafugga
Apr 29, 2013

coronaball posted:

I have a coworker that raved about Diatomaceous Earth. Linked below, but it's basically a dried microscopic algae that is like shards of glass for fleas/larvae. I've never used it personally, but it was spoken of very highly. I like the idea that you can use it outside the house around the yard as well. If nothing else it may be something you can use to supplement your other efforts.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/parasites/a/Diatomaceous-Earth-For-Flea-Control.htm

It says it is possible to use it directly on your pet, but honestly I would not on my own. Always a good idea to consult your vet before doing anything unorthodox as well.

CompactFanny is correct that you have to vacuum a hell of a lot. You're in for a long fight if they're dug in unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downhome
Jul 5, 2012
This really belongs here more than in the puppy thread...

Earlier tonight my wife and I decided to go out together for the first time since we adopted Betty, our 9 week old Boston Terrier puppy. Clancy, our two year old Siberian Forrest Cat loves playing with Betty and they are best buddies. We have a Dropcam set up in the living room and when we got home tonight we decided to check it to see what happened. Well, Betty started barking almost as soon as we left (he put her in her crate in our bedroom). As soon as Betty started barking Clancy got up and walked to the bedroom door and after a short while of listening to Betty bark, well, just take a look... After this, for the next three hours or so Betty didn't so much as make a single time and Clancy came back to the living room and slept on the coffee table for almost the entire time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxbz5qxOfJ4