Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

* Flexile Sentry is actually a two-headed snake, not a robot

I thought it was two undead stitched together. I guess that explains why it makes the sound of the lizard men from Dark Souls.

I don't like that NPCs get a bunch of cool hair options that we don't get. Why can't I have a beard as luxurious as Giligan's? Total bullshit :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ciaphas posted:

Do lightning infused weapons immediately scale on Faith, or do they only "scale" because of the enchants like Sunlight Blade scaling?

Immediate scaling.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Do lightning infused weapons immediately scale on Faith, or do they only "scale" because of the enchants like Sunlight Blade scaling?

Any inherent lightning damage they do scales off your faith. The enchant spells work differently, there's no scaling involved there. Sunlight Blade, as I recall, adds a flat 50 lightning damage and a 30% damage buff to lightning damage.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

I can't for the life of me succeed as a caster character. I tried tossing spells at the Pursuer, but it was taking so long that my melee instincts took over and I just stabbed him to death with my dagger.

Is there a trick to handle aggressive, fast melee enemies that I'm missing? Hell, I'm even struggling slow enemies like the Old Knights in Heide's Tower of Flame. Spells just don't seem to deal much damage this early on. Without a summoned shade to help out, my damage output is severely troublesome and it's almost tedious.

Pure sorcery sucks until you get get spells that don't have soul arrow in the name and even then you're gonna have a rough time in PVE because most of the other sorceries have very limited shots and are hard to collect multiple copies. Meanwhile Lightning Spear one and two shots everything and has 2 powerful upgrades.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Nashandra will forever be known to me as the bride of Geiger since that is literally the first thing that popped to mind when I saw her.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
If anyone wants to check out my fully upgraded apartment in the luxurious Pharros Phlats, I'd love to have some company :wink:

Soul Memory is 841k

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Vanderdeath posted:

I thought he raised him as a girl because his first son was like "NO, gently caress YOU, DAD" and didn't want a repeat of that, too.

He was raised as a girl because of his frailty and affinity with the moon IIRC.

Also:

Sup

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

ATTN: Greatbow users, what kind of arrows are you using for PVP?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

"Well? It ain't gonna suck itself."

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Pure sorcery sucks until you get get spells that don't have soul arrow in the name and even then you're gonna have a rough time in PVE because most of the other sorceries have very limited shots and are hard to collect multiple copies. Meanwhile Lightning Spear one and two shots everything and has 2 powerful upgrades.

I use great heavy soul arrow in pvp. It's actually pretty darn good when used with homing crystal soulmass

I love my pure sorcery guy, he's the bees knees.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

turtlecrunch posted:

No testing for Crystal Soul Spear?

734 damage. It's Great Lightning Spear with 1/3 as many shots and the occasionally useful ability to hit several dudes in a row.

Stringbean posted:

I use great heavy soul arrow in pvp. It's actually pretty darn good when used with homing crystal soulmass

I love my pure sorcery guy, he's the bees knees.

quote:

Also some numbers shooting the Old Knights in Heide's Tower of Flame with 99 int/faith and beefy weapons

Climax: 2934
Great Resonant Soul: 1261
Affinity: 231 per hit does the same with sorcerer's staff +0
Dark Orb: 666
Dark Hail: 221 per hit, max 1547
Great Lightning Spear: 735
Sunlight Spear: 848
Emit Force: 543

Staff of Wisdom:
Soul Spear: 573
Soul Greatsword: 694
Great Heavy Soul Arrow: 387
Homing Crystal Soul Mass: 150 per hit does the same with sorcerer's staff +0
Homing Soul Mass: 100 per hit, see above
Soul Geyser: 354 per hit, 4 hits max
Soul Bolt: 258 per hit, kills them too dead to get max hits :v:
Crystal Soul Spear: 734

CMW'd Blue Flame:
Soul Spear: 505
Soul Greatsword: wildly inconsistent results ranging between 550 and 735.
Great Heavy Soul Arrow: 337
Homing Crystal Soul Mass: 150 per hit

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:17 on May 9, 2014

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Genocyber posted:

That's the hex that makes a skull that lowers defense by 100. Warmth is a rare drop from the rats only, afaik (aside from buying it from Agdayne, of course).

It also heals enemies!

I dropped one when I was trying to melee the giant lord, and he slowly got healed by it too.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Isn't the amana staff better than the wisdom one?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

dis astranagant posted:

734 damage. It's Great Lightning Spear with 1/3 as many shots and the occasionally useful ability to hit several dudes in a row.

Harder to dodge in PvP at least. Still, yikes. Sorcery got hosed harder than I could have ever realized.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

FrickenMoron posted:

Isn't the amana staff better than the wisdom one?

Unless its scaling is way better, it's weaker.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Tabletops posted:

It also heals enemies!

I dropped one when I was trying to melee the giant lord, and he slowly got healed by it too.

Warmth heals everyone, making it terrible for healing in combat. However it lasts an absurdly long amount of time and there is no limit to how much health it can restore, making it a great tool for exploration. Its also the only way for invaders to heal outside of faith that I can think of. So its a pretty useful spell, which makes how you acquire it all the more confusing. It being limited to a late game vendor is annoying but logical if the developers think its too powerful early on. However, you can farm it off rats that appear really early in the game if you seek them out. So you can acquire it early, just in an incredibly bizzare way that relies purely on luck, which is just :psyduck:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Unless its scaling is way better, it's weaker.

The Amana one gets a damage bonus when Human, allegedly. I've been told in the past that Amana beats out Wisdom for raw damage because of it, but loses on cast speed.

No idea how true that is.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011

How many Guardian Dragons and Painting Phantoms must I slay just for one monastery scimitar, Dark Souls?

Apparently, more than all of them. This is worse than farming for Channeler Tridents in the first game.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Captain Oblivious posted:

The Amana one gets a damage bonus when Human, allegedly. I've been told in the past that Amana beats out Wisdom for raw damage because of it, but loses on cast speed.

The human bonus is comparable to the Dark Pyro Hollow bonus. It basically doesn't help and if you have 50 Int, you should use the Wisdom Staff.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So have anybody using Durante's GeDoSaTo program gotten banned by VAC yet?

I'm just curious because I really want the ability to hide my mouse cursor.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010
Okay, I figured out a totally safe way to farm Jeigh. I think I may be getting too much soul memory to ever get the black dragon armor set, though. All I have left to do before NG+ is grab the crap from Iron Keep.

I've tried maxing fire defense by all of the regular tricks, and I still can't get to the chest in the room past the Smelter Demon. Not even close, really. I wouldn't even mind if I could open it, die, and then collect it on a second run.

YOSPOS King
Apr 14, 2014

by XyloJW
Lighting mods... holy crap. But not sure if I've heard enough good things to take the risk.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

with 99 int and alive:
Magic Staff of Animu +10: 264+242. Crystal Soul Spear hits Old Knights for 705
Magic Staff of Wisdom +5: 297+248. Crystal Soul Spear hits Old Knights for 734

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mariposa posted:

Okay, I figured out a totally safe way to farm Jeigh. I think I may be getting too much soul memory to ever get the black dragon armor set, though. All I have left to do before NG+ is grab the crap from Iron Keep.

I've tried maxing fire defense by all of the regular tricks, and I still can't get to the chest in the room past the Smelter Demon. Not even close, really. I wouldn't even mind if I could open it, die, and then collect it on a second run.

What are you farming there, the boss? What's the point? Anyway, to answer your question just walk up to the platform next to the boss. He can only do an overhand attack when you're there, he can't do the shockwave and the fireballs can't hit you.

edit: misread because I'm dumb :saddowns:

edit 2: if you use Flash Sweat and roll in one of the urns of water you should be able to combat the lava damage with just a lifegem or two. That's how I did it.

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 9, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Count Bleck posted:

So have anybody using Durante's GeDoSaTo program gotten banned by VAC yet?

I'm just curious because I really want the ability to hide my mouse cursor.

VAC bans are staggered so AFAIK there haven't been many bans yet.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jumped off a cliff once and the Magic Staff of Animu +10 went down to 264+196. Twice for +150, thrice for 105, four times 59 (and my dark bonus went to -11), 5 times +14 (-37 dark)

And while I'm slumming it:
Pyromancy Flame +10 is 250+260
Dark Pyro Flame +10 is 300-14
Pop an effigy:
Dark Flame +10 is 300-248

gently caress Dark Pyromancy Flame.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 9, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Something I wonder about the Dark Pyromancy Flame

Wretch Status lets you get even more Hollow right? So what are the stats on it at full hollow? Moreover, does the Ring of Binding negate the bonuses from being super duper hollow? Or do you still count as being Hollow Status X despite the Ring of Binding artificially boosting your HP?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Something I wonder about the Dark Pyromancy Flame

Wretch Status lets you get even more Hollow right? So what are the stats on it at full hollow? Moreover, does the Ring of Binding negate the bonuses from being super duper hollow? Or do you still count as being Hollow Status X despite the Ring of Binding artificially boosting your HP?

It maxes out at 50% sadly.

Mariposa
Sep 12, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

What are you farming there, the boss? What's the point? Anyway, to answer your question just walk up to the platform next to the boss. He can only do an overhand attack when you're there, he can't do the shockwave and the fireballs can't hit you.

edit: misread because I'm dumb :saddowns:

edit 2: if you use Flash Sweat and roll in one of the urns of water you should be able to combat the lava damage with just a lifegem or two. That's how I did it.

Yes, I'm farming the boss, because I wanted to gain 30-40 more levels. But your strike-through text is exactly what I do. It took me a while to figure it out; before, I was circle-strafing around his feet, which is a lot more dangerous.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dunno what wretch status is but I stood next to a curse jar for a while and got 300+220 dark pyro flame, 264-214/195-167 staff of animu. Ring of scrubs has no effect on either the flame or the staff.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

It maxes out at 50% sadly.

That is bullshit :colbert:

Re: dis astranagant

If you accumulate over 100 sin you get promoted from Sinner to Wretch, at which point your max HP is capable of descending all the way to 10%. The fact that this doesn't affect the Dark Pyromancy Flame is lame as hell.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Reddit/r/Dark Souls 2

"It finally happened. Dark Souls made me cry."

quote:

...tl;dr - Hooked up with a girl at a party, two years later ran into her at a family reunion. Turns out I slept with my cousin...

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Couple questions, I've got a character at 1 million SM that I'm thinking of just pvping with. I can just skip the 2 great souls I don't have, right? I probably won't kill Vendrick either.

I want to get Great Magic Weapon which from what I read can be had at the first tier of Company of Champions covenant (I don't feel like going down in the Gutter to Black Gulch).

On the wiki it talks about a NPC that spawns 12 times in Doors of Pharros, how does that work, will he spawn every time I rest at a bonfire or what?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Average Bear posted:

Reddit/r/Dark Souls 2

"It finally happened. Dark Souls made me cry."

The Real Dick Souls Starts Here

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Dunno what wretch status is but I stood next to a curse jar for a while and got 300+220 dark pyro flame, 264-214/195-167 staff of animu. Ring of scrubs has no effect on either the flame or the staff.

It's tied to sin. At 10 sin you're accounted a sinner and can be invaded by sentinels, at max you're given wretch status and your minimum health caps out at like 5% or something crazy like that if you die enough without reviving to reach it.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Well, finally beat it. This thread is huge and my complaints have probably already been stated. Some good improvements in this game, but a few steps back in other regards. Still a good game, and I'll start up NG+ after I take a break for a few days. With 60 hours worth of play between three characters, I can't say I didn't get a good deal out of it.

Lots of stuff to like. And I love co-op in these games, so doing that was very enjoyable this iteration. I kind of wish bosses would get more move sets when they detect co-op partners. Would be nifty to see more multi person attacks if the situation calls (not just AoE of course).

Think my favorite fight ended up being Smelter Demon. Really enjoyed throwing Red eye ring on with a Gyrm's Greatshield and tanking that for others. Though he's not as easy as the Ruin Sentinels since he'll actually switch targets often even with the ring. Too many easy bosses though, that probably could have been cut out for more level. I mean, Prowling Magus and Congregation, Covetous Demon, The Rotten, just to name a few. Ahh well, I had fun.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vanderdeath posted:

I thought he raised him as a girl because his first son was like "NO, gently caress YOU, DAD" and didn't want a repeat of that, too.

Wait the raised as a girl bit is canon

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Some more pyro flame poo poo.

99 int/faith
Normal +10: 250+260, 510 total
Dark +10: 300+220, 520

40 int/faith
Normal +10: 250+201, 451
Dark +10: 300+170, 470

4 int/12 faith (cleric minimum)
Normal +10: 250+88, 338
Dark +10: 300+74, 374

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I can't use the Heide Spear at all even because of a lack of Dex. Does no one have any experience at all with the Heide Lance? How does it compare to the Chariot/Grand Lance for a Faith build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So am I reading this right? Did they seriously just take down VAC from this game like a week after putting it up? Its not showing up on the store page anymore and I've been seeing a bunch of posts on other sites talking about it.