Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does anyone have that hexer guide post? Having trouble finding it and want to locate a bunch of the more important pieces of equipment now that I'm relatively late into my first playthrough.

Also, does Gavlan disappear/move after you finish the area he's in? I can't seem to find him where I originally did in Harvest Valley and want to sell a bunch of stuff/buy poison resist items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Ytlaya posted:

Does anyone have that hexer guide post? Having trouble finding it and want to locate a bunch of the more important pieces of equipment now that I'm relatively late into my first playthrough.

Also, does Gavlan disappear/move after you finish the area he's in? I can't seem to find him where I originally did in Harvest Valley and want to sell a bunch of stuff/buy poison resist items.

Which hexes do you want to use? If you really want to upset some people get a batstaff and use dark fog. That makes people real mad I've learned.

But yeah gavlan moves to doors of pharros.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The following numbers are 12 faith/4 int dark pyro flame +10, fully hollowed with penal cuffs +5 against the derps in FoFG (I'm out of Old Knights). Followed by maxed.

Great Fireball: 495, 684
Fire Orb: 352, 489
Fireball: 352 (not a typo, retested a lot), 293 (wut?)
Flame Swathe: 775, 1143
Lingering Flame: 507, 617
Great Combustion: 605, 814
Combustion: 399, 536
Fire Storm: 483, 74x
Chaos Storm: 773, 117x
Fire Whip: Ticks too fast to tell.
I don't have Great Chaos Fireball or Fire Tempest.

Oh poo poo moment of the day: Forgot to switch off chaos storm before warping to Majula, and accidentally hit the button when I got there. Luckily the Emerald Herald was standing a bit away from the bonfire.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 07:05 on May 9, 2014

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Here is the link to the hex guide.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

So after playing for 50 hours I have to ask; why is there an NPC that is a cat? Is it just a Dark Souls thing or... what?

Don't know why it took me 50 hours to start questioning the loving cat.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Spudd posted:

So after playing for 50 hours I have to ask; why is there an NPC that is a cat? Is it just a Dark Souls thing or... what?

Don't know why it took me 50 hours to start questioning the loving cat.

Simply put:

:iiam:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Why would there not be an NPC that is a cat?

That's the real question.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Artificer posted:

I can't use the Heide Spear at all even because of a lack of Dex. Does no one have any experience at all with the Heide Lance? How does it compare to the Chariot/Grand Lance for a Faith build?

I used heide spear for PvP exclusively until I had the stats to support a mundane Santiers/ave, then switched to resonant weapon/dark santiers.

It's great. Reach is good, 2handed damage was really high for the attack rating (1handed hits around 100 dmg, at +0, in PvP, whereas I was 2handed spearing for 250+, it was really good in low level pvp).

the Heide Lance is OK, but the Heide Great Lance is better.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Chomp8645 posted:

Why would there not be an NPC that is a cat?

That's the real question.

Was there one in Demon Souls? I knew the Forest Covenant leader was a cat like beast thing.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Thanks!

Nuebot posted:

Which hexes do you want to use? If you really want to upset some people get a batstaff and use dark fog. That makes people real mad I've learned.

But yeah gavlan moves to doors of pharros.

So far I haven't done much pvp so I've just been using dark orb/dark weapon and occasionally the AoE (I have resonant soul/great resonant soul, but haven't needed to use them yet).

I'm pretty high soul level though (from doing a lot of coop); right now I'm 135 and still haven't beaten the game, though I think I'm getting close-ish.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Thanks!

So far I haven't done much pvp so I've just been using dark orb/dark weapon and occasionally the AoE (I have resonant soul/great resonant soul, but haven't needed to use them yet).

I'm pretty high soul level though (from doing a lot of coop); right now I'm 135 and still haven't beaten the game, though I think I'm getting close-ish.

You can farm up a bat staff from those white mage dudes in the spider boss area. If you're interested in just trolling people what it does, is seriously buff up Dark Fog so that it pretty much instantly poisons whoever you cast it on. So you can just poison them out of 1k health and laugh at them. Most people never seem to carry poison curing herbs around either. Not even after the third time I've danced on their corpse.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Nuebot posted:

You can farm up a bat staff from those white mage dudes in the spider boss area. If you're interested in just trolling people what it does, is seriously buff up Dark Fog so that it pretty much instantly poisons whoever you cast it on. So you can just poison them out of 1k health and laugh at them. Most people never seem to carry poison curing herbs around either. Not even after the third time I've danced on their corpse.

I aint scurred of poison, honestly. I mean its annoying but with 2k+ health it's really not a big deal, though I guess it depends on how you play though. I rarely do the attrition game, even when it's the only way I can win. I prefer to go out in a blaze of glory and just man mode it up. Your poison only makes my lance harder!

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?
So... have I just missed some obvious thing or is really vague about what to do next after getting the ashen mist heart?

I mean I knew where to go because I kind of pieced it together from reading this thread but as far as I can tell the game doesn't say anything about it.

Actually, I don't think it ever told me why I went and got that in the first place but at least it told me where to go.

Edit: On a possibly related note; are you supposed to be able to go talk to that giant queen looking gal you see in dranleic castle? I haven't found any way over to her at least so that might be why I felt a bit lost.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Mr Wikstroem posted:

So... have I just missed some obvious thing or is really vague about what to do next after getting the ashen mist heart?

I mean I knew where to go because I kind of pieced it together from reading this thread but as far as I can tell the game doesn't say anything about it.

Actually, I don't think it ever told me why I went and got that in the first place but at least it told me where to go.

Wait, where AM I supposed to go after the Ashen Mist Heart?

Mr Wikstroem
Nov 22, 2007

And now you read this in a seally Svedisch accent Jå?

Artificer posted:

You're supposed to go and "talk" to those treelike giants that you've seen here and there as far as I can tell. At least that's something you can do with it. :shrug:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Tabletops posted:

I aint scurred of poison, honestly. I mean its annoying but with 2k+ health it's really not a big deal, though I guess it depends on how you play though. I rarely do the attrition game, even when it's the only way I can win. I prefer to go out in a blaze of glory and just man mode it up. Your poison only makes my lance harder!

Yeah but when someone starts to run at me or tries to heal from the poison, my big black balls get all up in their face.

Mr Wikstroem posted:

You're supposed to go and "talk" to those treelike giants that you've seen here and there as far as I can tell. At least that's something you can do with it. :shrug:

Also there's a rock you can chat with in the room where you murdered a that spider

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Also the bellbro pvp sometimes is so weird. most of the time I'll get people atleast in the same ballpark of my level/sm.

occasionally it'll throw really low level dudes though. I actually got this guy twice in a row now, the first time he backstabbed me for like 10% of my health and I proceeded to one shot him. Second time he just rolls off the edge at the beginning of the belfry luna when he sees me roll up. Has 1032 health. Must be SL 50 or less probably. Wearing partial elite knight, partial royal swordsman, using what I think is the heide knight sword or a regular longsword.

meanwhile I'm SL 212, SM 6.6 million.

I mean, I remember when I was grinding the belfry luna for chunks and leveling in the bellbros, around that same level actually. I ran into a few times where I was against obviously high level dudes, atleast once or twice there were dual-avelynn users.

I dunno if the matchmaking just gets desperate or if its just buggy or what, had a similar experience red orb invading earlier in the Bastille while I was waiting between matches.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Man is 2.6 million really low/high for NG+ or something? Because I'm barely seeing any summon tokens :(

Also loving lol @ this blue sentinel. He's invaded me probably a half dozen times in the last half hour in Heide's and I keep killing him. Sorry bro! Maybe find someone else to kill?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Artificer posted:

What that other guy said plus you should also go back to where you fought Duke's Dear Freja.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mr Wikstroem posted:

Edit: On a possibly related note; are you supposed to be able to go talk to that giant queen looking gal you see in dranleic castle? I haven't found any way over to her at least so that might be why I felt a bit lost.

I actually didn't catch it until the third playthrough but, Nashandra (The Queen, you talk to her from far away because there's no way to get into the room she's in) will tell you to go into the memories of the giants in the forest after you get the Ashen Mist Heart

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 9, 2014

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Mr Wikstroem posted:

There's only one that you HAVE to do in order to beat the game, the rest are completely optional. It's behind that king's door in Forest of Fallen Giants.

BUT I would recommend going through the king's door in Drangleic Castle (near the King's Gate bonfire) first. If you do the giant memory first you will have to fight two boss fights back to back

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

gently caress it. Burned a Bonfire Ascetic for the Heide Greatlance. Turns out it isn't a 100% drop and got another Heide Lance. Ah well. I'll get it some other time maybe. Perhaps in NG+.

How is the Grand Lance once infused with Lightning and with/without Sunlight Blade on it?

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Artificer posted:

gently caress it. Burned a Bonfire Ascetic for the Heide Greatlance. Turns out it isn't a 100% drop and got another Heide Lance. Ah well. I'll get it some other time maybe. Perhaps in NG+.

How is the Grand Lance once infused with Lightning and with/without Sunlight Blade on it?

Mine is 259/115, my dark grand lance is 238/238 though. I'm pretty sure theres no moveset differences between them. Seems like the grand lance is just a straight upgrade. The scaling is all similar enough that it wouldn't matter. thats like 100 extra damage basically.

If it matters though, I spent 8 ascetics at shrine of winter getting that lance. I got almost all the armor as well (still missing boots), and 9 twinkling titanite out of it, and 9 rings of life protection.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tabletops posted:

Mine is 259/115, my dark grand lance is 238/238 though. I'm pretty sure theres no moveset differences between them. Seems like the grand lance is just a straight upgrade. The scaling is all similar enough that it wouldn't matter. thats like 100 extra damage basically.

If it matters though, I spent 8 ascetics at shrine of winter getting that lance. I got almost all the armor as well (still missing boots), and 9 twinkling titanite out of it, and 9 rings of life protection.

Okay. Uh. I think I will definitely just not give a poo poo about the great lance, then. Hahah.

Edit: I wonder if I should burn ascetics for the Ring of Blades +2, Cloranthy Ring +2?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Character Name: Bear Seek Lest
I tried. :frog:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Man is 2.6 million really low/high for NG+ or something? Because I'm barely seeing any summon tokens :(

Also loving lol @ this blue sentinel. He's invaded me probably a half dozen times in the last half hour in Heide's and I keep killing him. Sorry bro! Maybe find someone else to kill?

Low, probably. I started lower than that but with some perseverance I got through my sunbro summons and they started to ramp up in frequency after a while. It also depends on where you are. At that point I doubt you'll have much luck outside of the Forest.

Spudd posted:

Was there one in Demon Souls? I knew the Forest Covenant leader was a cat like beast thing.

No cats in Demon's Souls, which doesn't mean much since they aren't the same world. Shalquior is probably just a reference to the forest covenant, as you mentioned.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Artificer posted:

Okay. Uh. I think I will definitely just not give a poo poo about the great lance, then. Hahah.

Edit: I wonder if I should burn ascetics for the Ring of Blades +2, Cloranthy Ring +2?

Chloranthy, yes. I would do it for the blue tearstone and the southern band +2 as well, even if your not a caster now... they're nice to have. Currently using my southern band so I can use sacred oath, using it in place of my ring of blades since it's a bigger buff.

ROB + 2 is nice, and i've been considering getting it myself, but I really suck against the presuer, so i can't imagine 2.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tabletops posted:

Chloranthy, yes. I would do it for the blue tearstone and the southern band +2 as well, even if your not a caster now... they're nice to have. Currently using my southern band so I can use sacred oath, using it in place of my ring of blades since it's a bigger buff.

ROB + 2 is nice, and i've been considering getting it myself, but I really suck against the presuer, so i can't imagine 2.

Any other rings of note for PvP purposes?

Edit: Also thinking of the Royal Soldier's Ring +2...

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

dis astranagant posted:

The following numbers are 12 faith/4 int dark pyro flame +10, fully hollowed with penal cuffs +5 against the derps in FoFG (I'm out of Old Knights). Followed by maxed.

Great Fireball: 495, 684
Fire Orb: 352, 489
Fireball: 352 (not a typo, retested a lot), 293 (wut?)
Flame Swathe: 775, 1143
Lingering Flame: 507, 617
Great Combustion: 605, 814
Combustion: 399, 536
Fire Storm: 483, 74x
Chaos Storm: 773, 117x
Fire Whip: Ticks too fast to tell.
I don't have Great Chaos Fireball or Fire Tempest.

Oh poo poo moment of the day: Forgot to switch off chaos storm before warping to Majula, and accidentally hit the button when I got there. Luckily the Emerald Herald was standing a bit away from the bonfire.

After killing the last boss i warped to Majula and either alt tabbing or hitting my overlay combo casted chaos storm and knocked the emerald to like 1/8 hp. I just sat there laughing during the animation like welllp

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Artificer posted:

Any other rings of note for PvP purposes?

Edit: Also thinking of the Royal Soldier's Ring +2...

RSR is good, great even, if you really need the encumberance.

Right now I'm rolling with Chloranthy, Third Dragon Ring, Southern band and the bell bro ring, when I'm doing PvE i replace the bell ring with a ring of life protection.

I kind of feel like Third dragon and Chloranthy are basically staples of all builds, but In the case of casters (hexers specifically) i can see them ditching both in favor of the blue tear ring (50% cast speed ring) and the dark damage ring.

Otherwise, everyone else will probably use TDR and Chloranthy, and whatever else.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Cast speed is Clear Bluestone ring, Blue Tearstone is bonus defense at <30% HP.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Am I the only one that likes Life Rings for PvP? I will lose most PvP if I'm not sitting on a ton of health, but start stacking it and I will be winning a majority. Same even applies to PvE. Anytime I neglect health I pay for it with stupid deaths. If I prioritize getting health to 20 the game is a breeze. If nothing else, it subconsciously takes the edge off, which helps with playing deliberately and otherwise keeping your cool. Even things like poison that might otherwise make you panic with a less durable character become much less threatening when you know that simply allowing it to tick alone will not kill you.

I guess if you don't have problems keeping your cool under constant pressure, rock on, but even if it weren't for that, there is latency to account for, and having that health buffer means I can sort of feel out the effective range of whoever I'm currently fighting by eating a couple of hits, then ranging accordingly. Some fights WYSIWYG, and it is really fun to dance just outside their attack range, baiting out more attacks before you punish. Othertimes you seem well outside their attack range, and get staggered by a full combo. Being able to survive that combo means you know the range you're dealing with and can counter appropriately. Hell, I'd slap on Red+Blue Tearstones to make better use of the deep HP pools, but I make use of a lot of other stuff so it isn't just about def/damage.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If you use an ascetic at a bonfire, then enter NG+, does that bonfire then become NG++?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jay Rust posted:

If you use an ascetic at a bonfire, then enter NG+, does that bonfire then become NG++?

What is done cannot be undone. So, yes.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Nuebot posted:

So am I reading this right? Did they seriously just take down VAC from this game like a week after putting it up? Its not showing up on the store page anymore and I've been seeing a bunch of posts on other sites talking about it.
http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558755529569809677
"FromSoftware will be temporarily removing VAC support for Dark Souls II at 11:00PM Pacific Time May 8th to work on optimal functionality."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Presumably adding exceptions for things like GeDoSaTo and SweetFX/ENB, stuff which can't really do harm to the game.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Presumably adding exceptions for things like GeDoSaTo and SweetFX/ENB, stuff which can't really do harm to the game.

Nah, they're probably just getting it to work correctly and only ban per "engine". VAC is only supposed to ban per game engine, so everyone currently barred from Dark Souls 2 should not be since there shouldn't yet be any bans for the Dark Souls 'engine'. So until FROM gets this whole PC gaming thing down better, they're probably just pulling the system entirely.

Now, considering that, here's hoping they're also taking the opportunity to account for things like those graphics mods, because it would certainly be a kick in the pants to get banned for something like Fake Fullscreen, but to be honest, I expect more bumps in the road, unless Valve specifically is going to be handling the VAC detection/banning.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Man, I was doing so well until I got to The Gutter. My whole "Man, this game is really great not having a Blighttown :v:" bit ended pretty badly.

Worse is that I think I'm doing the game out of order, so I'm not getting many summon signs appearing, and I don't know the areas well enough to really help others to keep my humanity going. So many deaths and wasted minutes :negative:

In better news, I did help a dude named Blanka through Iron Keep. And yes, he looked like Blanka and only used fists. Best Bro.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Axel Serenity posted:

Man, I was doing so well until I got to The Gutter. My whole "Man, this game is really great not having a Blighttown :v:" bit ended pretty badly.

Worse is that I think I'm doing the game out of order, so I'm not getting many summon signs appearing, and I don't know the areas well enough to really help others to keep my humanity going. So many deaths and wasted minutes :negative:

In better news, I did help a dude named Blanka through Iron Keep. And yes, he looked like Blanka and only used fists. Best Bro.

I still need to do the gutter. I stumbled on it fairly early and never went back, as soon as I saw the incredible darkness and was surrounded by poison spitting statues I was just like "nope. Nope, nope, nope." and homeward boned out of there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
So, uh, twinking is still very much a thing if you put your mind to it. By way of experiment I rushed a fresh character straight to Iron Keep while skipping as many normal enemies as possible and summoning lots of phantoms for the bosses. Now I'm killing Bellfry invaders in about 2-3 hits with a +10 Uchigatana.