Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ugggg, I thought this was the direction it was going when the father rounded up a posse. It was so ham handed over the top " MAN IS THE REAL MONSTER" bullshit, that I wonder if Tim Buckley isn't writing this.

Okay, that's way over the line. This is miles better than Tim Buckley's poo poo. There's well more than a semblance of plot, the characters are well believable, and the setting actually has content.

Moreover, remember that this story is being told by a teenager, and that the posse has every right to be worked up in blood considering they're hunting something that eats children. I believe fully in redemption, and it makes for excellent plotlines, but right now you are looking at the story through the lens of a teenager. Everything is heavy-handed and simple at that age.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Whatever your feelings about Lost Side of Suburbia are, you can't deny that we're getting some great deranged faces from that mob.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Besides, there's still the chance that the girl saves Heckbender then it eats her anyway.

Maybe the monster is the real monster here.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

GorfZaplen posted:

He's turned Phil Fumble into a loving karate man. Phil "" Fumble.

In reality, karate classes tend to contain a quite significant percentage of dweebs and dorks so it's not exactly a total miss.

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Wanamingo posted:

Lost Side of Suburbia

I figured something like this was going to happen the moment all the guys, her father included, were drawn as furious hate-monsters. You could tell by the art alone.

So, the monster kidnaps her and her brother, intends to eat them, chains her in place... but hey, he liked books. That makes him better than the guys who are angry and hunting the monster, who she's sure would hate those books because..?

Meh. Meh to it all.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I don't know what else y'all were expecting from a comic called Lost Side of Suburbia

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Can't argue with either of these.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

GorfZaplen posted:

Heathcliff

At first when I scrolled to this post, I thought Heathcliff was riding on the Noid's shoulders.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I think the LSoS is definitely an enjoyable comic, and I agree, that I'd hate to see the story that was developed as well as it was, end in a clichéd way. Are there more after this story winds up? Or, does it just continue on.

Jill's a dyke to watch our for in today's Jane's World

TGIF. Non Sequitur's dumb story is about to finish up. Thank God.

Heavenly Nostrils

It's entirely possible to get glasses with zero power lenses. Just ask any hipster with 20/20 vision. :v:

Kliban

Huh. Ok. You make me think too hard, Bernard. :)

9 Chickweed Lane 5/9/2003

Not funny at all, Brooke, just stupid.

Zits

Speaking of stupid. dadclothes.png

Kevin & Kell

I saw it coming, but not bad, Holbrook. I do about 90% of my work from home, and when I need to "commute" to our corporate office, it's 1/4 mile away. The server farm I maintain is 2 miles outside of town. Don't hate. :v:

Nemi

It's me. I'm Grimm. But my wife is like that too, so we just end up pissing off whichever set of kids is watching with us by discussing everything, because they're not like that. "Will you guys go talk about it in the kitchen, or, better yet, just shut up?" :v:

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
LSoS chat: Aaaaah just shut up and keep reading, you chucklefucks.

Cul-de-sac

The Creeps

Candorville god, my eyes just slide off the words in this stupid loving strip.

Broomhilda why show when you can tell?!

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Johnny Aztec posted:

Ugggg, I thought this was the direction it was going when the father rounded up a posse. It was so ham handed over the top " MAN IS THE REAL MONSTER" bullshit, that I wonder if Tim Buckley isn't writing this.

Stockholm syndrome.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

VictorGrunn posted:

So, the monster kidnaps her and her brother, intends to eat them, chains her in place... but hey, he liked books. That makes him better than the guys who are angry and hunting the monster, who she's sure would hate those books because..?
Stockholm Syndrome.

E: gently caress, beaten.

mtomato
Oct 22, 2012

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

This comic...
What difference does it make if you have an ice cube melt under a window frame compared to just letting the window close by its own weight?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

I actually yelled "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" at my computer because of this one. Of loving course his step-dad is an atheist.

You too, huh?

All the gently caress you forever, Gilchrist.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Of course the uncle is a Cool Pastor who like classic rock and doesn't have a mean bone in his body. Good lord the wish fulfillment is actually getting worse here.

Anyway.

Ham Shears

That is the look of a man in deep emotional turmoil. :geno:

The Dinette Set

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Even in the 1970s, Joffrey was a dick

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (Feb 18, 1927)

Peanuts (May 12, 1967 (Two years before Apollo 11, but just imagine if Apollo 10 had been the magic mission instead: "Houston, Snoopy has landed."))

Funky Winkerbean, in which we finally get some realism in our "realistic" comic strip.

Popeye, in which we find a flaw in the "It's the Jeep" theory.

Rip Haywire

Pogo (May 11, 1956)

Droodles (January 10, 1956)

Out Our Way (December 8-9, 1924)

"I've gotta cure that boy of his compassion for defenseless animals."

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 9, 2014

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

:golfclap:

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Pointless trivia: The surname Ryynänen doesn't necessarily come from ryyni, "an individual grain of groats", but it could and that's enough for me.

Fok_It

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

"Oh yeah, you'd think he would be a bit upset about how people like him are not merely second-class citizens but can be murdered on a whim and made into clothes, but no, it's actually just that he doesn't wear ties."

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

LSoS chat: Aaaaah just shut up and keep reading, you chucklefucks.
Do not discuss the comics in the comic discussion thread! :argh:

mtomato posted:

This comic...
What difference does it make if you have an ice cube melt under a window frame compared to just letting the window close by its own weight?
Why not just shoot him through the window? What was actually achieved by propping it open? And couldn't the housekeeper have just left the window propped open with anything, then closed it when she returned since she was the one who was going to "discover" the body anyway? The camera is clearly outside the room and couldn't have seen that the window was open.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Tiggum posted:

"Oh yeah, you'd think he would be a bit upset about how people like him are not merely second-class citizens but can be murdered on a whim and made into clothes, but no, it's actually just that he doesn't wear ties."
I never seen a leather tie before, have you?

amishjosh
Jul 16, 2004
Yeah

when a body meets a bear coming through the rye

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Ema Nymton posted:

Bolo tie :colbert:

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I think the LSoS is definitely an enjoyable comic, and I agree, that I'd hate to see the story that was developed as well as it was, end in a clichéd way. Are there more after this story winds up? Or, does it just continue on.

There are a couple of weeks left in this story, and several more stories after that. Kory switches up who has the lead role, but some characters show up in multiple stories and he keeps continuity. Trying to be careful not to spoiler for people who haven't been following LSOS since the beginning, so...

There's a twist at the end of this one. He doesn't go for the obvious ending.

If you remember the end of The Bogey (the one that the end of was posted in the previous thread), there's a callback to this story at the very end of it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ema Nymton posted:

I lived through the loving 80s. I've seen more leather ties than you've had hot dinners.

Men's fashion was ridiculous in those days. Women's moreso, although I still find the combination of leotards and a ripped-neck sweatshirt strangely Droolworthy Comix.

Pooch Café

Still possible that Fish is in there. You could start a koi pond inside a bull mastiff's jowls.

Ballard Street

Martin's right to be nervous. Those retirees can be vicious.

flavor.flv fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 9, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ema Nymton posted:

Well, no, but the comic specifically says "a tie made from some prey's pelt", so apparently that's how they make them in Kevin & Kell world.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

The joke, ladies and gentlemen!

:downsrim:

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

DOGG

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Heven't we gone through this already?

Pibgorn
http://i.xomf.com/lqkwl.jpg

Yep, Brooke managed to rub out another hand panel again.

Aardmania fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 9, 2014

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane
]

Shouldn't that be simu- oh, it's Brooke. :eng99:

Scary Gary

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

And that's my job!

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

It may just be me, but are everyone in the classic Popeye retarded or something?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Aardmania posted:

Piranha Club

These are re-runs, right? There's no way these are being written recently.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Why not just shoot him through the window? What was actually achieved by propping it open? And couldn't the housekeeper have just left the window propped open with anything, then closed it when she returned since she was the one who was going to "discover" the body anyway? The camera is clearly outside the room and couldn't have seen that the window was open.

If she shot him through the window, she'd lose her alibi. With a bullethole in the glass, it would be obvious that the shot came from outside, so the fact that she left before the murder and wasn't caught on camera re-entering the home wouldn't matter.

As for the "propped open with anything" part, that's just so you have a clue to go off of in the form of a puddle. Inspector Danger so rarely gives actual clues instead of insane jumps of logic that no one could reasonably come up with off the top of their head that I'll cut it some slack when it does.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 9, 2014

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Magic Hate Ball posted:

These are re-runs, right? There's no way these are being written recently.

Bud Grace is just that out of touch.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

You actually never did Gil. You're mom's taking advantage of your poor memory to screw with you. Although somehow she let you have a cat.

Retail

I wonder what would have happened if Marla had left Arthur in charge of the store by himself. Oh wait, she already did that on his first day on the job.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Dustin

Speak of the devil... And uh, just how are you supposed to watch Jeopardy? In complete silence?

On the Fastrack

Disney of all people/companies really does not need to be apologized to.

Safe Havens

Dave has the same weakness as Newspaper Spiderman - masonry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

GorfZaplen posted:

Bud Grace is just that out of touch.

He's making jokes that would've seemed outdated when I was in elementary school, it's almost impressive.

• Locked thread