Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

OwlFancier posted:

BitKoins.

You aren't actually being paid by anyone to launch stuff into space, you just put mining processors on everything and use solar power to run them.

Jesus Christ not here too. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I am bad at this game and having a blast with it anyway. I've been playing career mode, and I've flown over a dozen missions and filled low Kerbin orbit with space debris, and I still haven't gone to the Mun yet. I'm just gathering as much science as I can - I've got that mod that adds more scientific instruments, so I stuck a couple of satellites in orbit with magnetometers, in addition to materials studies and goo observations and EVA/crew reports in every possible situation. This feels kind of like an extended, self-directed tutorial, gradually figuring out how to play the game through trial, error, and the brave sacrifice of lots of unmanned probes. It feels right. I kind of wish there was a reason to launch more satellites into orbit, though - that mod that requires comm relays for your space missions doesn't look like it's compatible with the current version.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Maxmaps posted:

Jesus Christ not here too. :argh:

Don't worry, bitcoins are a well-established punchline here.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

VanSandman posted:

Let me send you some KomedyKoins.

I just want money to be named Space Money because I have no humor. :eng99:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

T-man posted:

Let me send you some KomedyKoins.

I just want money to be named Space Money because I have no humor. :eng99:

Buckazoids.

:jeb:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
If they aren't KrakenKoins or some other word with Kraken in it I will be deeply disappointed.

The Kraken is the true leader of Kerbal kind.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Why not let people pick their own currency name and symbol at the start of a new game? It could default to spacebux, and people can have their buttcoins, dickbutts, ISK, etc. Everyone is happy.

Miss Cheggs
Mar 22, 2007

Space cash would be a simple easy name for a currency

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
I dunno. The Keso is growing on me.

Just don't call it the Kollar. :whip:

OAquinas fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 9, 2014

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

VanSandman posted:

Sorry, bitcoiners organized a campaign and have been bombarding me with messages to get us to sell KSP for bitcoins.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
space coins are the future

complexity is cool but when you stray into having 8 containers for one system and complexity for complexity's sake, it becomes bad gameplay

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 9, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Maxmaps posted:

Sorry, bitcoiners organized a campaign and have been bombarding me with messages to get us to sell KSP for bitcoins.

Why....?

Presumably even the most avid bitcoin fan must buy food, which means they must have normal human money of some description.

Just buy it with paypal like everyone else.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

OwlFancier posted:

Presumably even the most avid bitcoin fan must buy food, which means they must have normal human money of some description.

Because obviously bitcoin is the future, and a game about space travel shouldn't be stuck in the past! Duh.

Seriously, though, there's even sites that will sell you Steam gift cards for Bitcoin if you really don't want to use USD. Harrassing developers just makes you look like an rear end.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I remember in the old Bitcoin mock thread a bunch of times they organized campaigns like that. They spam a business with requests to accept butts so that they would think there's genuine demand for it. It's not so much that it's important to them to personally buy KSP using Bitcoins, it's that they're insufferable libertarian Bitcoin evangelists informing you of the future.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

space coins are the future

complexity is cool but when you stray into having 8 containers for one system and complexity for complexity's sake, it becomes bad gameplay

Randy Marsh is all about the Space Cash and so am I.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
I would totally play a mod that had life support, so long as it was a single resource. TAC is just too much for me.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

OwlFancier posted:

My main gripe with relying on mods for features like that is that the game gets monstrously unstable with all the mods you need to make a half decent colony mechanic in the game.

For this reason, my personal preference for game development focus is getting KSP 64-bit. I think it would really inspire more mod development.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Extraplanetary Launchpads is pretty cool, by the way, you can mine ore and process it into rocket parts and then launch things from a launchpad part. There's a workshop part that lets you use Kerbals to build parts and it can fit 20 of them in there.

I like to get a little base set up and then once I've got some mining rovers it feels pretty self sufficient. A simple life support mod that let me renew resources somehow would be cool to add on, though.

The mining and detecting ore is based on Kethane's code so you have to have that installed, too.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Elukka posted:

I remember in the old Bitcoin mock thread a bunch of times they organized campaigns like that. They spam a business with requests to accept butts so that they would think there's genuine demand for it. It's not so much that it's important to them to personally buy KSP using Bitcoins, it's that they're insufferable libertarian Bitcoin evangelists informing you of the future.

I thought my answer would always be simply that I will sell for BitCoins when I can pay my taxes in BitCoins, but that probably wouldn't be such a good idea with libertarians.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Met posted:

For this reason, my personal preference for game development focus is getting KSP 64-bit. I think it would really inspire more mod development.

That would be nice, the amount of moddability is really outstripping the 32 bit memory limitations at the moment.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gau posted:

I would totally play a mod that had life support, so long as it was a single resource. TAC is just too much for me.

I use TAC, but the only parts I use are the generic "life support" containers, which contain all the resources TAC adds. No need to fuss around with separate food/water/oxigen containers when 1 generic "life support" will do.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

About the resource extraction stuff again: I don't need the game to be particularly realistic in terms of things like that, as long as it is "in the spirit of realism" as it were, by which I mean that it should be challenging and have some of the same concerns as a real space mission, but I don't need the game to be a perfect analogue of the real world with real parts and stuff.

I personally don't really believe we'll be actually mining asteroids for heavy metals or whatever anytime soon, it sounds a bit too much like singularity libertarian magical thinking, but it would be pretty fun in the context of this game. What's really missing from KSP right now is an incentive to set up an infrastructure. Most simulation games are fun because you are progressing towards something, a functioning, complicated system of your own design which pays off in letting you design more complex parts and things, which in turn make the system function better.

KSP is still mostly about incidental rocket launches which don't really achieve anything and feel a bit anticlimactic once you reach your target since there is nothing to do on the planets. Implementing resource gathering, bases, satellite communication networks in the stock game would rule and I think is ultimately unavoidable to make the game feel "complete". Kethane and scansat are nice and all but still feel too much like mods in that they are not mutually coordinated by the people who make them. If you put them in the stock game you can balance them out, make them feed into a broader gameplay and create more of a challenge.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

Rynoto posted:

If they aren't KrakenKoins or some other word with Kraken in it I will be deeply disappointed.

The Kraken is the true leader of Kerbal kind.

On the note of things called "Kraken", has anyone heard of a drunk driving rocketry simulator for the KSP game? If only for the novelty, or a parody of those "drunk effect driving games" organizations put on.

Similarly, anyone have any serious controllers for flying set up? I'm not talking about the 360/DS4 gamepad, I'm talking about the "modified Steel Battalion rig" thing going.

Maxmaps posted:

You should find a clever buttcoin goon to milk that opportunity to "convert buttcoins to KSPs", where they invariably charge serious buttcoin people the equivalent of $60 for a single KSP.

Note: This may involve a thing called "doggiecoins" at some point; feel free to ignore the whole internet coin thing wholly.

Gau posted:

Can we revive the "air and 'snacks'" life support debate now? :allears:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Mistle posted:

Similarly, anyone have any serious controllers for flying set up? I'm not talking about the 360/DS4 gamepad, I'm talking about the "modified Steel Battalion rig" thing going.

"Modified?" Why would I need to modify my Steel Battalion controller when it works so well already?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I wanted a steel battalion controller, but they're so expensive, so I went with the cheaper option: a 3dConnexion SpacePilot :v:

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
The only thing I can think of that I'd modify on it is replacing the gearshiftything with an analog throttle.

Please tell me you have the mollyguarded eject button set to fire your launch abort system.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

Met posted:

We are actually coming at that from two fronts, trying a new memory management method for 25 and working on a 64 bit version.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Alehkhs posted:

"Modified?" Why would I need to modify my Steel Battalion controller when it works so well already?

I think it needs some upgrades:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/05/08/apollo_15_joystick/

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Mistle posted:

I have a flight sim rig I occasionally try and program for KSP. The control axis do... weird things. For example, if i set my rudder pedals to make the toe brake to be a gas pedal. I have to hold the toe brake exactly halfway down. Releasing it makes the craft go backwards. Depressing it makes the craft go forwards.

I think sometimes axis interact poorly with each other from different devices too. I've had pitch roll yaw and throttle all go completely haywire, but I never isolated the cause.

My advice is use a simple joystick, or a xbox 360 controller. Multiple input devices are haunted. :ghost:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I actually have one of those steel battalion controllers in my basement. But I cannot imagine using it for anything besides steel battalion. Between the ridiculous size, the non-centering joystick, and the 1-axis rudder stick, it would suck for other games.

Maxmaps posted:

We are actually coming at that from two fronts, trying a new memory management method for 25 and working on a 64 bit version.
Super excellent!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

SocketSeven posted:

I have a flight sim rig I occasionally try and program for KSP. The control axis do... weird things. For example, if i set my rudder pedals to make the toe brake to be a gas pedal. I have to hold the toe brake exactly halfway down. Releasing it makes the craft go backwards. Depressing it makes the craft go forwards.

I think sometimes axis interact poorly with each other from different devices too. I've had pitch roll yaw and throttle all go completely haywire, but I never isolated the cause.

My advice is use a simple joystick, or a xbox 360 controller. Multiple input devices are haunted. :ghost:

I have an Ace Edge stick from Ace Combat 6, so it's got the guts of a 360 controller. I wonder how that would work? Might find out this weekend or next...

Speaking of things you fly with a stick, I'm so happy! Last night I got in a bit of time and got an airplane working with FAR. Simple little deal, kind of looks like one of the Republic fighters from the late '40s. Seems limited for intake air since I'm just using one engine nacelle. Anyway, I disabled the cockpit torque wheel 'cause that's cheating. The plane takes off and doesn't squash the rear gear in the process, that was my problem last time. It's stable in straight flight once I got the elevators trimmed. Most of the control inputs work as expected. Still get an odd rolling moment from the rudder, though I'm wondering now if that's because the rudder is asymmetric (ie there's only one on top, not the bottom).

So I get a few kilometers out over the ocean from KSC, I've been climbing up through the clouds, and I try a hard pitch up. Thing stalls, like, right away. So that's neat, I can stall! Wrestle the controls until I get the nose pointed down (ie prograde cause I'm dropping) and I've got control authority again. Level out... try another hard pitch up, stall it out, this time it's a flat spin. gently caress, unrecoverable, 500m off the deck, slap spacebar to eject my cockpit and Tom Kerman gets his third tie from Kertheon.

poo poo yes. Instead of a pile of parts that vaguely resembles an airplane, I have An Airplane With lovely Stall Characteristics.
That's so much better!

e: and this morning in the shower I remembered the torque wheel that I turned off. Ah well. Still cheating.

Phy fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 9, 2014

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mistle posted:

On the note of things called "Kraken", has anyone heard of a drunk driving rocketry simulator for the KSP game? If only for the novelty, or a parody of those "drunk effect driving games" organizations put on.

Who needs a simulator? :cheers:

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
Watching Scott Manley's interstellar quest is so disheartening because I'm so bad at this game. Every time I watch it I'm like nope, not even gonna try playing again. I'm gonna wait for .24 so I can start over clean though and hopefully have a better grasp on what I'm doing.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

SocketSeven posted:

On my pedals the toe brakes show up as analog inputs. For everything except the throttle, KSP expects neutral to be the midpoint. From the game's point of view it's the same as if you pulled your stick all the way back and kept it there.

I've also found it has an issue with device enumeration and control binds. Specifically, it binds flight controllers in the order they were attached to the computer, and not by any sort of device ID. The enumeration order can change after a reboot, which had lead to several :jeb: moments where it takes my toe brakes as pitch and roll, throttle as yaw and joystick Y as throttle.

Mr. Mallory posted:

Watching Scott Manley's interstellar quest is so disheartening because I'm so bad at this game. Every time I watch it I'm like nope, not even gonna try playing again. I'm gonna wait for .24 so I can start over clean though and hopefully have a better grasp on what I'm doing.

Interstellar got a lot more fun this time around when I picked upgraded gas core reactors first over improved radiators and generators.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

SocketSeven posted:

That's because the toe brakes technically have a zero point of the middle, not the far end. You can use CH Control Manager to fix this easily if you're using CH pedals. Saitek probably has something similar I'd guess. I have a ludicrous amount of flightsim hardware, I've occasionally thought about using it for KSP but it's kind of impractical at best.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Klyith posted:

I actually have one of those steel battalion controllers in my basement. But I cannot imagine using it for anything besides steel battalion.

Sounds like selling words. The only civil course of action is to name your price, regardless how high.

e: stupid user using a swipe keyboard

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

Sounds like selling words. The only civil course of action is to name your price, regardless how high.

e: stupid user using a swipe keyboard

If you're willing to pay any price, ebay isn't exactly devoid of these. First hit is $175 buy it now:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=steel+battalion+controller&_nkwusc=steel+batallion+controller&_rdc=1

No clue on any of their suitableness/condition/etc, but they're not super hard to find.

illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.

Gau posted:

I kinda like the way it is right now, I can reprocess Water and Oxygen but need to carry enough food for the trip. Similarly, the kerbals will survive a long time without food and water, so my rovers will have 10 days of oxygen letting them roam far and wide while the kerbals go on a diet.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

illectro posted:

I kinda like the way it is right now, I can reprocess Water and Oxygen but need to carry enough food for the trip. Similarly, the kerbals will survive a long time without food and water, so my rovers will have 10 days of oxygen letting them roam far and wide while the kerbals go on a diet.

All fun and games until Bob eats Bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

illectro posted:

What I like about a multi-resource system is the possibility of ISRU stuff that doesn't work on a single magical resource like Kethane. Laythe might have everything, maybe you can only get water on Duna, etc.

• Locked thread