Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like what your team did in the draft?
This poll is closed.
Yes! 216 60.34%
No 20 5.59%
lol 65 18.16%
gently caress 38 10.61%
I'm a Skins fan, is something going on right now? 19 5.31%
Total: 358 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
I totally forgot, all the Lions fans in the bar groaned when they took Ebron. "Pettigrew 2.0" was the feeling. Great work Detroit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

gently caress Jerry Jones forever. No reason to pass up Dix there.

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
I'm pretty mixed on the Calvin Pryor selection. Obviously, safety is a need (and has been for a long time), but if I was gonna go defense in the first I think I would have preferred Dennard. I have a feeling the Jets think Milliner is going to improve drastically with a real offseason of work and that Dimitri Patterson is going to stay healthy and perform admirably. I imagine they're hoping that the front 7 play is going to bail out the secondary a bit too. I wouldn't be surprised if they went with a OLB in round 2 or 3 to bolster the pass rush.

Basically, it's a fine pick, I'm just not that excited about it. He seems like a solid player and a vicious hitter, and apparently Rex thinks he'll be able to cover TEs. Will be easier to evaluate once today is done with.

firstyear
Sep 9, 2009
At least Pettigrew's a good blocker. From what I can tell Ebron is basically a receiver, and in a wideout class as deep as this one you've got to figure they could have found a solid pass catcher later and spent the tenth overall on fixing the defense.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Volkerball posted:

I'm not sure what Mack will go with since 85 isn't allowed.

quote:

Christopher Hansen @ChrisHansenNFL · 5h
There is a way @46Mack can wear #46. Just have to fill up the 50s and the 90s & there are enough LB/DLs on roster to do it right now.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

So for anyone wondering if Pittsburgh reached for their pick

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac/statuses/464603714272387072

quote:

Dallas Cowboys were ready to select Ryan Shazier at No. 16 until #Steelers grabbed him. Agent was on phone w Cowboys.

I have also been hearing Ravens wanted Shazier a lot, as well, and had to settle for Mosley. I love our pick even more.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 9, 2014

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bigass Moth posted:

I totally forgot, all the Lions fans in the bar groaned when they took Ebron. "Pettigrew 2.0" was the feeling. Great work Detroit.

Lots of tantrums on lions forums too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Petey posted:

The Patriots drafted Dominique Easley. Noted homer blogger and Belichick whisperer @jerrythornton1 called this as the Pats' pick back in early April.

The NFL writeup, however, is, uh,

I am having a hard time getting excited about this pick. Can anyone convince me I should?

If the injuries aren't an issue going forward he's probably going to be an awesome player. The pick sucks though because you probably could have gotten him a round or two lower.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Lmfao

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
There's a chance Morgan Moses falls to the Bengals :getin:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I think the Vikings have had the best first round of the past three seasons of any team:

code:
2014	1	9	Anthony Barr		OLB	UCLA
2014	1	32	Teddy Bridgewater	QB	Louisville

2013	1	23	Sharrif Floyd		DT	Florida
2013	1	25	Xavier Rhodes		DB	Florida St.
2013	1	29	Cordarrelle Patterson	WR	Tennessee

2012	1	4	Matt Kalil		OL	USC
2012	1	29	Harrison Smith		FS	Notre Dame

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Happy with the giants getting obj

Not sure if I'm happy with the bucs getting evans

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Mike Garafolo tipped the Calvin Pryor pick earlier in the day on SNY. I like it. I really wanted Dennard at that position but there's more depth at CB than safety and he was the best safety in the draft.

@BrianDawkins
Trust me...Calvin Pryor in Rex's scheme?... Better Look out!!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Professor Funk posted:

I'm pretty mixed on the Calvin Pryor selection. Obviously, safety is a need (and has been for a long time), but if I was gonna go defense in the first I think I would have preferred Dennard. I have a feeling the Jets think Milliner is going to improve drastically with a real offseason of work and that Dimitri Patterson is going to stay healthy and perform admirably. I imagine they're hoping that the front 7 play is going to bail out the secondary a bit too. I wouldn't be surprised if they went with a OLB in round 2 or 3 to bolster the pass rush.

Basically, it's a fine pick, I'm just not that excited about it. He seems like a solid player and a vicious hitter, and apparently Rex thinks he'll be able to cover TEs. Will be easier to evaluate once today is done with.

It's a fine pick and he'll be a good player but it's just frustrating how the Jets just completely ignore the need for impact offensive players for the 6th draft in a row. Pryor could play like a pro bowler this season and it won't matter in terms of wins and losses unless the offense takes a big step forward and they won't be doing that with their present personnel.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Can't wait to pick Demarcus Lawrence in the 2nd and see the meltdown in realtime.

Seriously though, I'd be ok with it. Or ASJ. Or Marqise Lee/Any of the 10 good WRs left.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
Day 2: Pick 38, Atlanta Falcons Select: Jeremiah Attaochu :getin:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Ozu posted:

Can't wait to pick Demarcus Lawrence in the 2nd and see the meltdown in realtime.

Seriously though, I'd be ok with it. Or ASJ. Or Marqise Lee/Any of the 10 good WRs left.

I wouldn't be surprised. Thats what happens when you have a coach who is completely disconnected from the offensive side of the football.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
happy with ford, devastated that JFF is not a chief. SO loving CLOSE

last fine I felt that it was regarding Brady Quinn so bear that in mind

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

firstyear posted:

At least Pettigrew's a good blocker. From what I can tell Ebron is basically a receiver, and in a wideout class as deep as this one you've got to figure they could have found a solid pass catcher later and spent the tenth overall on fixing the defense.

Ebron isn't as bad in that regard as a lot of prospects, he'll probably be a functional in-line guy and could be pretty good in that regard.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Already up by MSG. Owns.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ozu posted:

Already up by MSG. Owns.

The fact that him and Bortles were drafted before Bridgewater is going to be a punchline for years to come.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Johnny Manziel loving owns

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

John Brown posted:

gently caress Jerry Jones forever. No reason to pass up Dix there.

The reason is that Zack Martin is a better pick than Clinton-Dix

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
If Derek Carr isn't taken by the Raiders, how far does this dude fall?

QB Needy teams
Texans (Won't draft a Carr)
Raiders
Bucs? (Literally just said Glennon is their guy)
Titans (Still all in on Locker?)
Rams?
Cardinals?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I hope the Browns and JFF clown the AFCn for the next decade.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Probably the best part of drafting Manziel is all the Cleveland media people were so sure that it was not going to happen and now they look like huge idiots. It's great, feed me more.

Best part is still the homeless man anecdote.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The funniest thing is calling the draft office a war room and the marketing of this whole thing as serious business. RAARRRGGHH THE NFL IS LIKE WAR MAN. at least it is funny.

fan of the browns
Apr 6, 2012

my enemy...
the enemy of every human who has ever lived...
this is the life-force that watches over the Dinosaurs.

Rap posted:

Johnny Manziel loving owns

Ray Farmer loving owns.

RFF + JFF 4EVA

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ozu posted:

JFF was my favorite college player of the last few years so I pretty much have to watch them now.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Rasczak posted:

Dallas Cowboys writeup because why not

Primary Needs

Defensive End: With the loss of Ware, the starters at DE are George Selvie who played surprisingly well last year, and opposite him either Anthony Spencer (who had microfracture surgery on his knee and might not be able to return from that, last I heard he was still on crutches) or Jeremy Mincey. Woof. I keep hearing good things about Tyrone Crawford but he's never healthy, and otherwise the depth sucks.

Defensive Tackle: Dallas signed Melton in the offseason, and Nick Hayden is the other starter and is probably a stopgap although he did pretty decent last year. Depth sucks.

Guard: Need an upgrade to Right Guard Mackenzy Bernadeau. I don't think he even has a backup right now. Zack Martin

Outside Linebacker: Could use an upgrade to SAM Linebacker Justin Durant.

Wide Receiver: Miles Austin is designated a June 1st cut, leaving Dez Bryant, Terence Williams, Dwayne Harris, Cole Beasley, and a couple of guys I don't even recognize.

Secondary Needs

Quarterback: Romo's had two back surgeries in the past year and turned 34 in April. Current backups are Orton, Weeden, and Hanie.

Safety: Dallas appears to be content to roll with JJ Wilcox at Strong Safety (I thought Barry Church was the SS, but he switched to FS last year). It remains to be seen if Wilcox is the long term solution.

Running Back: Demarco Murray is good as the starter when healthy, but they could probably use an infusion of talent behind him. I should note that Mean Green alum Lance Dunbar also owns when he's healthy and I will brook no argument on the matter.

Punter: Chris Jones is pretty mediocre.

Offensive Tackle: Tyron Smith owns at LT and Free was pretty good at RT last year, but the depth behind them is woeful.

Center: Frederick owns but I don't think they currently have a backup.

Good job Dallas alright keep it up :buttslap:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
The Cowboys could probably do fine by getting whoever's left at QB for a backup but it was seriously disappointing that they passed up Manziel/Bridgewater.

Disappointing and hilarious granted, but still a bit disappointing.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
Redskins have to take Kouandjio or Su'a-Filo tonight right? I don't see many other logical picks at that spot.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Ozu posted:

Look at this guy who thinks that JFF won't be broken and flame out within two years up in Cleveland

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I still can't believe the Browns gave us a third rounder to move up 4 spots. That's a monster steal for the Eagles. I also can't believe the Bills gave up a first rounder next year to move up to 4 and take a WR of all things.

Kinda meh on the pick but now we can trade Brandon Graham if we want to and OLB should be set for a while. Hoping we grab a WR today.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Blitz7x posted:

If Derek Carr isn't taken by the Raiders, how far does this dude fall?

QB Needy teams
Texans (Won't draft a Carr)
Raiders
Bucs? (Literally just said Glennon is their guy)
Titans (Still all in on Locker?)
Rams?
Cardinals?

They didn't pick up his 5th year option, so I'm thinking they're done with Locker.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
http://espn.go.com/blog/washington-redskins/post/_/id/7519/redskins-have-plenty-of-options-at-34

quote:

Washington will make the second pick of the second round when the draft resumes Friday night. One thing the Redskins did not do Friday was trade backup quarterback Kirk Cousins. Cleveland had offered the Redskins a fourth-round pick, an NFL source said, but the Redskins stuck to wanting a high pick (likely a second-rounder). It's debatable if there is any market for him because of the high price tag -- though the Redskins made it clear earlier in the offseason that they did not want to trade him.

Oh, what could have been

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chilichimp posted:

They didn't pick up his 5th year option, so I'm thinking they're done with Locker.

They signed Charlie Whitehurst

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
KC's pick is understandable from a cost perspective, but if you're really looking at saving big money I still don't get passing up on Bridgewater. Houston will cost less than extending Alex Smith.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

They signed Charlie Whitehurst

Oh, well, that's seals it. Locker is loving gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

excidium posted:

KC's pick is understandable from a cost perspective, but if you're really looking at saving big money I still don't get passing up on Bridgewater. Houston will cost less than extending Alex Smith.

If Andy didn't think Bridgewater was good enough then I'm ok with it. But the no wide receiver thing is gonna kill me unless we manage to grab someone good in the 3rd.

• Locked thread