Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Ignimbrite posted:

This is the style of infinite health hack that I've seen in the game. It's like he had a +10000hp per tick healing factor.

So we have X-men in this game. Call in the Sentinels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

Character Name: Bear Seek Lest
I tried. :frog:

Needs the wandered set to complete the cheap imitation look. Granted your character would still look better than the actual emerald herald. I find it hilarious that she has heterochromia. So anime it hurts.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ignimbrite posted:

This is the style of infinite health hack that I've seen in the game. It's like he had a +10000hp per tick healing factor.
In case you care how it actually works, it's this: Most "hackers" really don't hack anything, they just use a trainer, because basically everything about DS2 multiplayer is handled client-side. The trainer modifies the memory values of the game.

When you meet someone with "infinite health," what they have probably done is freeze their current health value to their maximum health value. The consequence of this is that your game, which expects to have done damage on your side, shows the value going lower and then receives information from their side that their health isn't actually lower at all, making it shoot back up. In reality the whole thing takes maybe a millisecond or so.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Internet Kraken posted:

Needs the wandered set to complete the cheap imitation look. Granted your character would still look better than the actual emerald herald. I find it hilarious that she has heterochromia. So anime it hurts.

http://www.anime-planet.com/characters/tags/heterochromia

you weren't kidding

Cardiovorax posted:

In case you care how it actually works, it's this: Most "hackers" really don't hack anything, they just use a trainer, because basically everything about DS2 multiplayer is handled client-side. The trainer modifies the memory values of the game.

When you meet someone with "infinite health," what they have probably done is freeze their current health value to their maximum health value. The consequence of this is that your game, which expects to have done damage on your side, shows the value going lower and then receives information from their side that their health isn't actually lower at all, making it shoot back up. In reality the whole thing takes maybe a millisecond or so.

Pretty disappointing that it's all client side still, when DS2 was originally announced they made it sound like the game would have dedicated servers of some description, which would presumably also enable them to do server side calculations for stuff.

Thinking about it that's pretty impossible because then people would have to play through the game on From's servers like Diablo 3. I much prefer the current system to that even if it means there's hackers.

THE PWNER fucked around with this message at 12:51 on May 9, 2014

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
Can you ascetic memories? I want another grand lance. Or i could deal with the hiede lance I got, but it looks boring :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

Can you ascetic memories? I want another grand lance. Or i could deal with the hiede lance I got, but it looks boring :v:

Yep! I don't know what bonfires most of them are tied to, but the Memory of Jeigh is one of the best ways to get souls really quickly in the game.

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011

You can ascetic the giant lord's memory at least. Do your lances sound effects work by the way?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Yes but you can't get another GL because it's in an iron chest. :(

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

So guys I don't think SM does gently caress-all for coop. My second char is post-drangleic and I still get shade summons for the drat Copse all the time.

I'm summoned for the bone orgy/bones wild chariot ride all the time, proudly one-shotting skeletons and generally running ahead and wrecking the bosses before the hosts even know what's happening.

Anyhow, not being able to flip switches at all as a phantom is so hosed. I mean there's a couple that should be disabled like ones that unlock major shortcuts but just outright preventing phantoms of any type to interact with the world at all is a really lovely blanket solution.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 9, 2014

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

THE PWNER posted:

Pretty disappointing that it's all client side still, when DS2 was originally announced they made it sound like the game would have dedicated servers of some description, which would presumably also enable them to do server side calculations for stuff.

Thinking about it that's pretty impossible because then people would have to play through the game on From's servers like Diablo 3. I much prefer the current system to that even if it means there's hackers.
Yeah, they were pretty much lying there. 99% of the game is local, the only thing the servers really do is making matchups and handling the routing. On the plus side, that means for all the shenanigans people can come up with their character, they can't really do anything about yours, either positive or negative. Well, unless someone comes up with a deleveling bug again, but I hope From did better this time.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Foxhound posted:

Yes but you can't get another GL because it's in an iron chest. :(

Noooooo

Oh well. It's three weeks till I can play next. I probably won't remember.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

What rings do you guys default to, or find the most useful in general?

Third Dragon Ring is a must on almost all characters forever. It just brings so much for its slot. Otherwise it varies. Since my main guy is strength and melee I tend to favor Stone Ring and Chloranty. For the last slot I swap between Soldier's Ring if I'm trying out gear that is heavier than my usual stuff or situational things like resistance or poise or Gower's.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bobnumerotres posted:

So guys I don't think SM does gently caress-all for coop. My second char is post-drangleic and I still get shade summons for the drat Copse all the time.

I'm summoned for the bone orgy/bones wild chariot ride all the time, proudly one-shotting skeletons and generally running ahead and wrecking the bosses before the hosts even know what's happening.

Anyhow, not being able to flip switches at all as a phantom is so hosed. I mean there's a couple that should be disabled like ones that unlock major shortcuts but just outright preventing phantoms of any type to interact with the world at all is a really lovely blanket solution.

It does. That you still got summoned in the Copse doesn't really mean anything :v:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

AFK Souls: AFK harder edition.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

It does. That you still got summoned in the Copse doesn't really mean anything :v:

Uh what I'm trying to say is that if there are limits they are so relaxed it pretty much doesn't matter. I'm working but I'm gonna see how far I can push it later today. Maybe I can get summoned for the Last Giant and two-shot him with soul spears.

TheRedCrumpet
Mar 11, 2013

"I bet most of us here at one point thought 'Man, it would be so hot to taste my own cum'"
Has any one found out what the giant book in the mansion is for? Is there some law to it, a secret in some fashion (maybe future DLC access?) or is it just there to look pretty and confusing?

TheRedCrumpet fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 9, 2014

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Bobnumerotres posted:

Uh what I'm trying to say is that if there are limits they are so relaxed it pretty much doesn't matter. I'm working but I'm gonna see how far I can push it later today. Maybe I can get summoned for the Last Giant and two-shot him with soul spears.

The limits are known. It's about 25% of your SM either direction.

There have been a lot of people in this thread who literally never figured out Huntsmans' Copse and beyond existed until completing pretty much everything else, so in light of that it does not surprise me at all that there would still be people in range to summon you.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm pretty sure I explored the Gutters and got to Black Gultch before ever using a de-stoning branch, so yeah there will tend to be people who are way higher and way lower than you are in most areas. Hell, my current character ran straight for the Black Gultch after Dragonrider to get the branch from there instead of having to go through however many bosses and enemies with the other places.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Can't you go straight for the branch the second you get to majula? I mean it's not like there's anything threatening at all between the bottom of the well and the branch. The cat ring costs 13,000 souls or so which you can easily build up from going through the forest -> last giant.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
If you have the HP to take the fall damage and know the area then the only thing that really is standing between you and the bottom of the Gutters are the Royal Rats, unless you can skip them too somehow.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you go to the Gutters super early then the dog monsters are actually dangerous since they do a big chunk of damage and have a relatively high amount of HP. Your main enemy is still gravity though.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

nftyw posted:

If you have the HP to take the fall damage and know the area then the only thing that really is standing between you and the bottom of the Gutters are the Royal Rats, unless you can skip them too somehow.

You can skip the Grave of Saints by falling a bit further down the Majula hole. There's a passage there that leads directly to the room with the exploding dudes.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

nftyw posted:

The amount of HP doesn't matter though, it's % based. That fall is intentionally just enough to kill you from full HP, only ways to get down are:

1. cat ring, behind a 13k soul paywall. (and you need to be human or it will still be enough to kill you)
2. ladder dude that only moves there once you clear earthern peak
3. fall control spell that isn't available until iron keep.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Bobnumerotres posted:

The amount of HP doesn't matter though, it's % based. That fall is intentionally just enough to kill you from full HP, only ways to get down are:

1. cat ring, behind a 13k soul paywall. (and you need to be human or it will still be enough to kill you)
No, HP actually does matter, although I'm not sure how. I've died doing that jump with full health and the cat ring before, in any case. The cat ring only halves fall damage if you would have had enough health to survive the fall anyway, same with the Fall Control sorcery.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Just keep in mind that removing your gear will reduce the fall damage as well (I think)

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Bobnumerotres posted:

Fall damage isn't % based, but the reduction is.

Also you can survive greater falls if you take off all your gear.

e;fb

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

You can also get the butterfly wings by asceticing the Majula bonfire.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Holy hell how do you resist curse, after I got all the giants souls and headed down to the basement, Nashandra is kicking my rear end.

Kick-rear end music though :allears:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ignimbrite posted:

Holy hell how do you resist curse, after I got all the giants souls and headed down to the basement, Nashandra is kicking my rear end.

Punch her floating curse balls.

Seriously.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Ignimbrite posted:

Basically, you have to stab the little wisps of dark smoke one at a time. They die in one hit (but can't be targeted and doesn't make any sound when you hit them). So basically dash in, knock one out before it curses you, and then let your curse gauge fall before you take out another. Taking out two should give you enough play room to swing at Nashandra.

Of course, if you summon player phantoms they can kill the wisps really quick (unless they are assholes who just stand at the door and shoot lightning spears forever, making an easy fight not just easier but super boring for the host too).

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Ignimbrite posted:

Broken Cog posted:

Punch her floating curse balls.

Seriously.

Balls Balls Balls.

And yeah fall damage definitely isn't a percentage, that wouldn't make any sense, you'd be able to survive any height.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

david... posted:

Balls Balls Balls.

And yeah fall damage definitely isn't a percentage, that wouldn't make any sense, you'd be able to survive any height.

Uh I think they meant that if you fall X distance you take Y% of your max life as damage, implying that at a certain height you'd take 100%+ of your max hp as damage.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Foxhound posted:

Of course, if you summon player phantoms they can kill the wisps really quick (unless they are assholes who just stand at the door and shoot lightning spears forever, making an easy fight not just easier but super boring for the host too).

Dark Souls 2 phantoming in a nutshell.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

It's pretty amusing to see areas littered with blood stains. It just shows how little attention some people pay to their surroundings. The road leading down past the boulders in Tseldora :allears:

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Foxhound posted:

Uh I think they meant that if you fall X distance you take Y% of your max life as damage, implying that at a certain height you'd take 100%+ of your max hp as damage.

I'm dumb.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'm in Huntsmans Corpse and I've run into an area with a bunch of skeletons that will not die. Does it have something to do with the jars that spit out some kind of aoe dark damage? I eventually got overwhelmed and fell off a bridge running from three or four of those guys.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Oblivious posted:

The limits are known. It's about 25% of your SM either direction.

There have been a lot of people in this thread who literally never figured out Huntsmans' Copse and beyond existed until completing pretty much everything else, so in light of that it does not surprise me at all that there would still be people in range to summon you.

It goes OVER 100% range (in either direction) if you're both using the same God with the name-engraved ring. The calculators on the wiki are completely wrong when it comes to name-engraved ring. I matched up with a 6 million SM friend when I was almost 13 million.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Using the hex that summons blood pools of dead players to hurts is funny as heck. It seems to make them a bit brighter too. Suddenly you're surrounded by pools of blood! :getin:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Ice Fist posted:

I'm in Huntsmans Corpse and I've run into an area with a bunch of skeletons that will not die. Does it have something to do with the jars that spit out some kind of aoe dark damage? I eventually got overwhelmed and fell off a bridge running from three or four of those guys.

There are necromancers resurrecting them in the same cave. These guys do not respawn, so you only have to kill them once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Ice Fist posted:

There should be a necromancer in the room connected to the wooden bridge that you need to kill first. Doesn't hurt to take out the vases though, they give you a curse buildup.

Edit: I found that as a caster, it's best to approach the first skeleton cave via the wooden bridge. Melee characters can go from whichever way they see fit.