Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No, no, no. You see, you have to make something revolutionary or you're a worthless failure and so is your game! This is why I go to RTS threads and complain about all the micromanagement, because that is totally a flaw instead of a feature of the genre. :downs:

This is a good comparison, because too much micromanagement is bad for a RTS, too. I wouldn't play a RTS with obnoxious micromanagement and I wouldn't play a MMO with obnoxious bear asses, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Aside from the framerate issues the thing currently bugging me most is how they've decided to change the names of all the stats to something whacky and radical. I don't care about Moxie and Grit fluff in my numbers, just tell me straight up what stuff does. :byodood:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

No, no, no. You see, you have to make something revolutionary or you're a worthless failure and so is your game! This is why I go to RTS threads and complain about all the micromanagement, because that is totally a flaw instead of a feature of the genre. :downs:

The quality of micromanagement can vary between games though, from being an enjoyable part to just something that's dull and uninteresting.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a game breaking starting[?] bug. When the game loads up it won't let me click the user agreement. The music blares out loudly and it pops up, I can scroll down, but the buttons don't do anything.

I rate this MMO Beta 1 out 5 stars. :)

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ok, yeah, you're just trolling at this point.

I'm sorry, what?

Oh is this the part where you can't criticize a game without hurting people's feelings? Did you miss the part about how I wanted to like the game because of the charming characters and animations and everything else fell flat? Would you like to answer any of my points instead of just calling me a troll?

edit: In fact, I said I LIKE holy trinity hot bar mmo gameplay. This one just seems hilariously uninspired, especially for something the developer thinks people are actually going to drop sixty dollars plus a subscription on. They're loving nuts if they think this is going to succeed.

I get that there's some small segment of the population who likes vanilla wow, and that is obviously who the game is made for. If you're in that camp, awesome. For the rest of the world though, I doubt this is going to make any waves at all. But please, go on telling me how I'm trolling.

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010

Platypus Farm posted:

I got up to level, I think 13? Before I finally threw my hands up and quit and the game hasn't stopped feeling like a tutorial yet. By comparison, FFXIV, the most recent theme park mmo to come out with a similar model, takes the same quests and at least adds cool flavor and some level of excitement to rehased MMO quests.

I think FFXIV is a pretty bad example, pretty much everyone just does FATES to hit the cap. The story quests are probably what you're talking about, but the quests outside of the story quests are probably worse than Wildstar. I guess I also enjoyed the class/gather/crafting quests because they had neat little storylines, but these aren't the "leveling" quests everyone opted to straight up ignore.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I played the closed beta for a little bit in February, and so far the open beta feels like a step backward. Enemy animations seem jankier and glitchier than I remember, with mobs often just standing there with no animations at all when fighting them. My FPS is playable, not as bad as what some others are getting, but still not as good as it could be, and no noticeable improvement compared to several months ago. In several hours of play last night I crashed to desktop 3 times, which definitely didn't happen before. I don't know, man. :shrug:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Eigo posted:

I think FFXIV is a pretty bad example, pretty much everyone just does FATES to hit the cap. The story quests are probably what you're talking about, but the quests outside of the story quests are probably worse than Wildstar. I guess I also enjoyed the class/gather/crafting quests because they had neat little storylines, but these aren't the "leveling" quests everyone opted to straight up ignore.

Yeah, sorry I meant the storyline. The basic "go get me poo poo" quests were just as awful. I did two classes to the top so yeah I did the FATE grind on one of them and it was horrible.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Platypus Farm posted:

I'm sorry, what?

Oh is this the part where you can't criticize a game without hurting people's feelings? Did you miss the part about how I wanted to like the game because of the charming characters and animations and everything else fell flat? Would you like to answer any of my points instead of just calling me a troll?

It was the obvious falsehoods. I'm not going to bother arguing with someone who just lies through their teeth, seems pretty pointless to me. :shrug:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

It was the obvious falsehoods. I'm not going to bother arguing with someone who just lies through their teeth, seems pretty pointless to me. :shrug:

I have no idea what you're talking about. What "obvious falsehoods" and what are you talking about that I'm lying through my teeth? Like, I'm genuinely concerned that you've invented a new reality inside your own head at this point.

edit: I'm really trying to figure this out, because I had high hopes for this game all through it's development and ignored it until now so I didn't get some weird perspective from playing a broken rear end beta. Are you saying the game DOES NOT feel like it was made in 2005? If so, at what point does it stop? It definitely has not quit feeling like an overwrought tutorial as of yet.

Platypus Farm fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 9, 2014

Torka
Jan 5, 2008

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ok, yeah, you're just trolling at this point.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Calm down you angry goon.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SymfonyMan posted:

Here's a game breaking starting[?] bug. When the game loads up it won't let me click the user agreement. The music blares out loudly and it pops up, I can scroll down, but the buttons don't do anything.

I just restarted my computer making sure nothing was interfering. Nope, just a game stopping bug before I even make my first character. Smooth Wildstar. It would be nice if they let someone use tab and the spacebar to click the user agreement, but nope, looks like I'll be sitting this MMO out.

E: Seriously a user agreement screen bug?

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

I still feel like there's a lot of hyperbole in the complaints right now but let's not gas the thread either, shall we?

Comparing the questing to vanilla WoW is just plain silly, though - that wasn't nearly this streamlined.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Platypus Farm posted:

I'm sorry, what?

I think it's because all of your complaints are more subjective than anything. There haven't been many complaints about questing because a lot of people find it enjoyable enough, and even if you don't, there's alternatives to leveling and gearing up in PvP, and the game practically begs you to spend some time on challenges, considering that they drop extremely good gear for the area level. The questing is bland, sure, but there's enough variety to all of it that it doesn't matter too much.

You also have a strange obsession with bear asses.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Platypus Farm posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about. What "obvious falsehoods" and what are you talking about that I'm lying through my teeth? Like, I'm genuinely concerned that you've invented a new reality inside your own head at this point.

Seems pretty simple. You say that you personally enjoyed the level of effort made in other games to dress up and hide the drudgery of still basically identical quests, he says that's an obvious falsehood.

Know yourself before posting.

I personally agree that the questing experience is not up to the standards set by some other MMOs, or expansions of MMOs, but I'm also pretty resilient to the mundanity of questing so I'm still able to enjoy myself based on the more enjoyable way the fighting works.

At least that has been my impression of my impression, I may be wrong.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 9, 2014

whizperz
Jan 22, 2014
I initially wrote this game off after about 10 minutes during the last beta weekend. I want to give this game a chance during this open beta week but the performance on my machine is horrible. They need to spend some serious time looking at optimization before I can hit Play again.

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Still runs like rear end :( I know it's been in dev for like a decade but it seems too early to push out next month. I'm still keeping the faith! :black101:

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

:stare:

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Platypus Farm posted:

It's because in this game they're obviously zero effort. There's no neat setpieces, there's no interesting premise or any imagination at all. It's just "go click this poo poo on the ground. Go click this other poo poo."

I got up to level, I think 13? Before I finally threw my hands up and quit and the game hasn't stopped feeling like a tutorial yet. By comparison, FFXIV, the most recent theme park mmo to come out with a similar model, takes the same quests and at least adds cool flavor and some level of excitement to rehased MMO quests.

Hell, the latest wow expansion which I didn't enjoy at all after leveling was a FUN leveling experience. I'm sure it was awful after the second or third time, but the first time you were going through neat zones, exploring pretty much however you wanted to explore, and followed a number of interesting storylines throughout. Admittedly, in this game I just followed the Chua/medic path so it might be different for others, but this was like a 3 hour tutorial followed by going to a guy who says "I AM A GENERAL, GO AND FIGHT FOR ME" and then... that's it.

I agree with you that on-rails MMO quest structure is almost always the same. I disagree that it has to be soulless and boring though.

I hear the game is a bit of a slog until level 20 and then it starts picking up with dungeons and harder PVE combat.

I played MoP too and it was a pretty great questing experience. The standard for solo content HAS changed with the narrative driven SWTOR, WOW, FFXIV, Secret World. It is hard to keep a soloing experience that's consistently engaging through the entire process. SWTOR's 1-20 was amazing, but even then it slogged from level 23-30 before picking back up.

Having the early level slog is really bad for folks who don't want to grind it out to the promised land.

Tezzeract fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 9, 2014

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

a cat on an apple posted:

I think it's because all of your complaints are more subjective than anything. There haven't been many complaints about questing because a lot of people find it enjoyable enough, and even if you don't, there's alternatives to leveling and gearing up in PvP, and the game practically begs you to spend some time on challenges, considering that they drop extremely good gear for the area level. The questing is bland, sure, but there's enough variety to all of it that it doesn't matter too much.

You also have a strange obsession with bear asses.

The last thread had repeated complaints about the questing, almost identical to what Platypus Farm has said here.

I was in closed beta [edit: just a few weekend ones, not the proper CB] and the massive number of boring quests that seemed to progress you very little indeed was a big problem for me. I don't think they've changed that at all for open beta (I've only created a couple of characters so far, so haven't even gotten off the ship) so I don't think his opinion is particularly out-there or controversial.

In other news, I'm liking the new UI and the performance for me is phenomenal even with almost every option maxed. Good work.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

Aside from the framerate issues the thing currently bugging me most is how they've decided to change the names of all the stats to something whacky and radical. I don't care about Moxie and Grit fluff in my numbers, just tell me straight up what stuff does. :byodood:

The quality of micromanagement can vary between games though, from being an enjoyable part to just something that's dull and uninteresting.

Moxie and Grit as stat-names? I love this! (I didn't even notice until now, since I can't play the Wildstar-slideshow without getting a headache for any length of time.)

Now I'm even more sad that the game runs like poo poo.

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Thanks for all the Steer/KeyBindFreedom recommendations; ever since I played Neverwinter I've hoped an MMO would use such a control scheme and I'm really happy I can at least make this work with mods in Wildstar. But really, this should be the default.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Also, while we're talking about ways to make the game experience better, changing the FOV from like 50 to 60 or 70 prevents me from getting weird headaches when playing for a while.

I think I'm just oddly vulnerable to the loving crippled standard fields of vision games love so much these days.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Psykmoe posted:

Also, while we're talking about ways to make the game experience better, changing the FOV from like 50 to 60 or 70 prevents me from getting weird headaches when playing for a while.

I think I'm just oddly vulnerable to the loving crippled standard fields of vision games love so much these days.

Yeah, the low FOV in many games is a bit annoying. http://www.curse.com/ws-addons/wildstar/220180-customfov is good for this in Wildstar.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Tezzeract posted:

I hear the game is a bit of a slog until level 20 and then it starts picking up with dungeons and harder PVE combat.

I played MoP too and it was a pretty great questing experience. The standard for solo content HAS changed with the narrative driven SWTOR, WOW, FFXIV, Secret World. It is hard to keep a soloing experience that's consistently engaging through the entire process. SWTOR's 1-20 was amazing, but even then it slogged from level 23-30 before picking back up.

Having the early level slog is really bad for folks who don't want to grind it out to the promised land.

Awesome, thanks for the info. I can definitely grind it out if there's good stuff on the horizon. Seems like we have pretty similar taste in leveling experiences - I forgot SWTOR since I haven't played it in so long but yeah some of those class storylines were fun to go through. This just seems like a brick wall that hits you at level, like, two.

My favorite part of MMOs are late game dungeons and group play, so if this actually HAS that stuff down the line, then I can at least stick it out to 20 and see the dungeons.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Inepta Lacerta posted:

I still feel like there's a lot of hyperbole in the complaints right now but let's not gas the thread either, shall we?

Comparing the questing to vanilla WoW is just plain silly, though - that wasn't nearly this streamlined.

Smothering games in their crib is what goons do.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
I was finally able to to get the patch to download last night by hacking my System32 hosts file and was eventually able to get into the game.

So to give a small trip report on optimization changes for me with the Open Beta patch:

I run a SLI system with 2x 780ti cards and previously Wildstar didn't seem to use my 2nd GPU at all. With this most recent patch I'm pleased to say that there was some utilization of my 2nd GPU and it did help to stabilize my FPS.

Before in a graphic intensive area I was getting 20ish to 30ish FPS on Ultra High at 2560x1600. After the SLI patch I'm now getting 40ish to 50ish FPS in the same area on the same settings with V-Sync disabled.

Still not where I feel it should be, but this has been the biggest change from one patch to another for me thus far. I'm hoping Nvidia comes out with a Wildstar specific profile when it launches to help better maximize the SLI performance.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Which is funny because I'm getting 60+ FPS on a GTX 660 :v:

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Rhymenoserous posted:

My gfx car burnt out about 3 weeks ago playing BF4, watch dogs is coming soon so I got some mad R9 6GB card to replace it.

Seem yo be averaging 70/80 :getin:

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Yeah, we optimized for lower-end systems first. Still working on optimization for higher-end. A good deal of the content-side optimization is in maintenance mode at this point so I'm not as connected to the process as I used to be, but I know they're still working.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Rhymenoserous posted:

Same here, 660 buddy :hfive:

A friend of mine was having all sorts of problems until he turned off SLI. Give that a try.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Platypus Farm posted:

It's because in this game they're obviously zero effort. There's no neat setpieces, there's no interesting premise or any imagination at all. It's just "go click this poo poo on the ground. Go click this other poo poo."

I'm going to half agree with you here. I say half because I have only played three out of four of the first tier post-arkship tutorial zones and two of the second tier, but the quality varies tremendously among just what I have played. There are some actually cool set pieces in there, but it's entirely possible to pick a zone devoid of them, or certainly not find ones you like. The quests and challenges and even the Path content are similarly inconsistent. Depending on your side choice, path choice and first zone choice off the arkship, you will get a very different experience.

For example, Levian Bay has a huge rear end cool looking Eldan comm station, and if you're a Scientist you can do a little switch puzzle to ride an elevator to a giant electric ball looking thing that hovers over it. If I didn't have a lovely machine this would be even more impressive. But I also did Northern Wilds on the other side and all I got to do with Science was open a little door in a small lab and scan an extra datacube. But even the whole theme of Northern Wilds was the most boring to me out of the three I've looked at.

So basically you most likely did have a boring time through no fault of your own, just bad luck and an inconsistent level of effort or creativity on Carbine's end. At worst I might say you should have gone Explorer if you want the best chance of seeing crazy things, though that also means putting up with platforming in an MMO.

cloverpie
Nov 18, 2012

Boogalo posted:

Same here, 660 buddy :hfive:

A friend of mine was having all sorts of problems until he turned off SLI. Give that a try.

Also using a 660, but my FPS fluctuates from 20-50+. What settings are you guys using?

Also, any Asian/Oceanic/SEA goons playing? GW2 failed to live up to my expectations, and the combat in SWTOR bored me to tears, so I've been looking for a quality MMO to fill the void in my heart. So far it looks like Wildstar might be able to do that, but my ping is horrible (around 200ms minimum) Should I even bother buying this? :(

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

The biggest attraction about this game for me is definitely the movement and combat systems, and I think the general fun of gameplay is what should get you through the early levels before the meat of the game opens up around 20ish. Unfortunately it's very difficult to appreciate that stuff if you are experiencing poor performance; in fact I think a lot of the negative reactions you're seeing in this thread are heavily influenced by bad performance (except about questing, questing sucks). I had to jump through a few hoops to get things running well, but I think it's worth it since the combat feel in this game is really great once you are above slideshow range. Here are some things I did to bring my fps up to reasonable (anywhere between 35 and 70+ fps, seems to vary a lot by location). For reference I'm running a 2500k overclocked @ 4.7 and a Radeon HD 7850.

These may or may not have any useful effect on your setup:

1. Update to the latest Catalyst 14.4 non-beta drivers from 4/25. I was on 4.3 and going to 4.4 along with the following changes gave me a sigfnicant fps increase.
2. Force DirectX 11. To do this, right click your Wildstar shortcut, select "Properties", and add "-directx11" (without the quotes) to the end of the "Target" field. Alternatively, if this seems to not change anything or makes your performance worse, try forcing directx9 by adding "-directx9" in the same way. It seems to vary heavily by setup which of these will work better.
3. Disable the Combat Log, as it is apparently poorly optimized right now or parsing extra information for dev feedback or some bullshit. To do this, press Esc in game, click on the "Addons" tab on the left, click on "CombatLog" to highlight it, and click "Change load ruiles" at the bottom. Check "Do not load Addon". Close that dialog and click "Reload UI" in the bottom right.
4. I've heard claims that disabling the "TargetFrame" addon in the same way will also help fps, but gently caress if I'm gonna play without a TargetFrame. Not suggested, but if you're desperate enough, go for it I guess.

Video Settings - I am running everything on the highest settings except for the following changes:

1. Lowering "Dyamic Shadows" to low or medium didn't change the visuals much, but improved my performance.
2. Lowering view distance to about half helped FPS without removing a lot of the visible objects.
3. Lowering clutter detail to medium and small object detail to medium seemed to reliatively little visual impact while proving a bit of fps boost, but I think that shadows and view distance are the two big things you can tweak to get better performance without resorting to blurred crayola mode.
4. Lowering clutter distance by some arbitrary amount that looks ok to you seems to help a bit. Again, at this point I think it's very small gains and this probably doesn't matter.

Doing all that changed my average in this beta from the mid 20's to the high 40's in most outdoor areas and eliminated most of the big fps dips. Indoor areas are usually 60+. Optimization seems to differ tremendously by setup right now, so you may see no real returns, but hopefully this helps somebody.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pound_Coin posted:

Got both of these working, mouse-look and lmb for attack, how is this not the default set-up, what you start with is loving terrible, A&D to turn? this isn't 1997, I'm not using a loving keypad to play Hexen here.

It takes like two seconds to rebind A and D to strafe without any mods? Every MMO I've played had A and D bound to turn until I changed it. Also mouselook in MMOs is stupid because theres so much poo poo to click on, default has mouselook bound to holding right click I think.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.

Reason posted:

It takes like two seconds to rebind A and D to strafe without any mods? Every MMO I've played had A and D bound to turn until I changed it. Also mouselook in MMOs is stupid because theres so much poo poo to click on, default has mouselook bound to holding right click I think.

What poo poo are you clicking on constantly? Do you not find yourself hold your RMB down 90% of the time you're playing?

Slokir
Mar 18, 2012

Berious posted:

Sorry for what's probably a boring question by now but where are Eurogoons going?

Me and at least one other guy are on Hazak Exile Side.
Think we're scattered between severs tbh but if you end up on Hazak send me a message, characters name is Slokarin.
If enough EU goons show up we can get a guild going.

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

Reason posted:

You can set Steer up to use mouselock while moving and cursor while standing still. I have found this pretty much perfect for Wildstar. Let's you easily interact with the UI/environment while not having to hold down RMB the other 90% (or whatever) of the time. You can also set it to perma-mouselook during combat, which I personally find suits Wildstars combat very well. This is in addition to binding A and D to strafe obviously (I guess there are still people that don't do this for whatever reason?).

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Reason posted:

F is interact, and better than click to interact anyway also enjoy your RMB claw hand :c00lbert:

FoolishLobster
Sep 13, 2009

roboticbears posted:

You can set Steer up to use mouselock while moving and cursor while standing still. I have found this pretty much perfect for Wildstar. Let's you easily interact with the UI/environment while not having to hold down RMB the other 90% (or whatever) of the time. You can also set it to perma-mouselook during combat, which I personally find suits Wildstars combat very well. This is in addition to binding A and D to strafe obviously (I guess there are still people that don't do this for whatever reason?).

God drat Steer sounds awesome. First thing I'm doing when I get home. How about KeybindFreedom or whatever its called? Does it always have things bound to left and right click, or only when your cursor is locked?

BQuietNDrive
Dec 2, 2004
Furious Masticator
While someone mentioned not using Bijiplates as an add-on due to FPS, if you're stable on that end, it's pretty much a must-have. I'd suggest trying it since the default plates are pretty wonky.

Also, for performance, one of the biggest impacts seems to be Render Resolution. This was called something else a couple builds ago, and had a slider, but seemed to make the biggest impact on peoples' performance.

*Edit*

Anyone have an idea why I'm capped at 60fps? It's not a big deal since everything looks fine, I'm just curious. I just build a PC and am still trying to get a grasp on how everything works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prel
Jan 12, 2012

FoolishLobster posted:

God drat Steer sounds awesome. First thing I'm doing when I get home. How about KeybindFreedom or whatever its called? Does it always have things bound to left and right click, or only when your cursor is locked?

I haven't played with it too much, all I did was bind LMB to activate ability 1, but at least by default that seems to be active all the time. It doesn't go off when you're interacting with the UI or an object in the world, however.

re: Render Resolution - turning this down will definitely give you more fps, but it has a huge, tremendous, terrible impact on visuals. This is the "blurry crayola" mode I was referring to. Maybe worth it if you can't get anything else to work, but I would make it a last ditch option.

re: fps capped - do you have vsync on? This will cap you at your monitor's refresh rate (which is usually 60).

• Locked thread