Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

superjew posted:

I missed this, did anyone watch? I figured it would have been uploaded immediately but I guess it hasn't yet.

I was confused by that post also. It's tomorrow, the 9th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Py-O-My
Jan 12, 2001

Taitale posted:

They have elected to ban the substances until the testing regime has been established. Once that has happened, they can be tested and if found safe will be sold again.

Not arguing with you, but I can't help that I'm reminded of this:

quote:

Some question has been raised whether the use of the plant itself produces "severe psychological or physical dependence" as required by a schedule I or even schedule II criterion. Since there is still a considerable void in our knowledge of the plant and effects of the active drug contained in it, our recommendation is that marijuana be retained within schedule I at least until the completion of certain studies now underway to resolve the issue.

That was in 1970.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So Michele Leonhart is fired now, right?

...right?

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

KingEup posted:

Don't forget to tune to the livestream on Marijuana policy tomorrow:

May 09, 2014 | 10:00 a.m.

http://oversight.house.gov/hearing/mixed-signals-administrations-policy-marijuana-part-three/

Anyone have any idea if this hearing is just related to the DC Decrim, or is this a larger hearing, part of which will involve the DC Decrim?

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi türa imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
For those of you still interested in legal marijuana in Colorado, here is SB155 that is about to be signed (or has been but hasn't been reported yet);

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2014a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/D9A3D581C1128B5D87257C620055A505?open&file=155shhsfin.pdf

and it contains some fairly awesome language;

quote:

15 (III) CRITERIA FOR SELECTING ENTITIES TO RECEIVE GRANTS AND
16 DETERMINING THE AMOUNT AND DURATION OF THE GRANTS, WHICH SHALL
17 INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
18 (A) THE SCIENTIFIC MERIT OF THE RESEARCH PLAN, INCLUDING
19 WHETHER THE RESEARCH DESIGN AND EXPERIMENTAL PROCEDURES ARE
20 POTENTIALLY BIASED FOR OR AGAINST A PARTICULAR OUTCOME; AND
21 (B) THE RESEARCHERS' EXPERTISE IN THE SCIENTIFIC SUBSTANCE
22 AND METHODS OF THE PROPOSED RESEARCH AND THEIR LACK OF BIAS OR
23 CONFLICT OF INTEREST REGARDING THE TOPIC OF, AND THE APPROACH
24 TAKEN IN, THE PROPOSED RESEARCH; AND

Taking into account BIAS in the enabling legislation makes me happy to be from Colorado!

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

SgtScruffy posted:

Anyone have any idea if this hearing is just related to the DC Decrim, or is this a larger hearing, part of which will involve the DC Decrim?

I have no inside information, but the speaker list strongly suggests tomorrow's hearing will focus on the DC effort.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

SedanChair posted:

So Michele Leonhart is fired now, right?

...right?

Nope. Still here, still loving things up.

As a general rule it takes several years for the government to reverse policies the people disagree with and which don't work.

Cache Cab
Feb 21, 2014
Look, I don't want my kids doing drugs. I know they could do them when they are illegal, but I've spent a lot of time and effort teaching them to respect the law and follow the rules. If drugs become legal, it undermines a lot of what I've taught them.

Marijuana, I don't know, I smoked that a lot back in the day and I don't think it's so bad...but for my kids...I don't know if I'd want that.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Cache Cab posted:

Look, I don't want my kids doing drugs. I know they could do them when they are illegal, but I've spent a lot of time and effort teaching them to respect the law and follow the rules. If drugs become legal, it undermines a lot of what I've taught them.

Marijuana, I don't know, I smoked that a lot back in the day and I don't think it's so bad...but for my kids...I don't know if I'd want that.

Yes, I too would like the state to permanently ruin the future career prospects of children who engage in behavior their parents disapprove of.

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
drugs are poo poo

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cache Cab posted:

Do you teach your kids not to hurt other people because it's illegal, or because it's immoral?

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cache Cab posted:

You are literally the stupid woman that says "think about the children!"

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

Cache Cab posted:

I've spent a lot of time and effort teaching them to respect the law

That's unfortunate

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Cache Cab posted:

respect the law and follow the rules.

And the law can change. That's the point. I'm not seeing the problem here

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Cache Cab posted:

Can we make a list of all the legal things you don't let your kids do / don't want your kids to do? I'm sure there are plenty. Should we ban them too?

Also what the Kernel said. Let's say your kinds don't listen to you at some point (it happens) and they do use drugs. Would you support them going to jail?

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Laws set the tone for the discussion. If marijuana is legalized, a parent has to explain that although marijuana is legal for adults, it's not good to use because it makes you a retard. That's a much easier sell when it's illegal.

Cache Cab
Feb 21, 2014
Of course I wouldn't support them going to jail, it's just that legalizing drugs that I and the schools have spent a lot of time telling them is something they shouldn't do is going to send a mixed message. I've talked to my kids about drugs, and I mostly say, "Don't do drugs because they are bad for you and can get you addicted." But then I usually throw in that they are also illegal, so maybe if my kids are dealing with pressure from friends or if they are curious to experiment, the drugs being illegal will 1) limit availability and make it harder to do the drugs, and 2) create an extra layer of defense since I have told me kids to respect the law.

If they do get arrested, then that deterrent has failed and I will do what I can to defend them and keep them from getting the book thrown at them. I hate to bring up slippery slopes, but this really does feel like one. Marijuana, okay, fine, whatever. What about OTC Vicodin? I can see the use; a lot of people get really bad migraines. What about amphetamines? Cocaine? Should we just make it all legal and easily accessible?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cache Cab posted:

Of course I wouldn't support them going to jail, it's just that legalizing drugs that I and the schools have spent a lot of time telling them is something they shouldn't do is going to send a mixed message. I've talked to my kids about drugs, and I mostly say, "Don't do drugs because they are bad for you and can get you addicted." But then I usually throw in that they are also illegal, so maybe if my kids are dealing with pressure from friends or if they are curious to experiment, the drugs being illegal will 1) limit availability and make it harder to do the drugs, and 2) create an extra layer of defense since I have told me kids to respect the law.

If they do get arrested, then that deterrent has failed and I will do what I can to defend them and keep them from getting the book thrown at them. I hate to bring up slippery slopes, but this really does feel like one. Marijuana, okay, fine, whatever. What about OTC Vicodin? I can see the use; a lot of people get really bad migraines. What about amphetamines? Cocaine? Should we just make it all legal and easily accessible?

How long should you personally spend in jail for using marijuana?

Cache Cab
Feb 21, 2014
Illegal doesn't mean there has to be jail time. I think the way it works now is good, in that usually if the cop can tell it's a good kid and not some kind of thug or big dealer, they can just let them off with a warning. This way my kids know there is a scary threat of jail, so they will take it seriously, but if they slip up they can get just a slap on the wrist...but hopefully some sense scared into them as well.

When I smoked weed, I remember feeling really slow for days after. I can't imagine what that does to your brain with regular use. Imagine if you could just buy it at the gas station with your energy drinks or what not...

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cache Cab posted:

I know they could do them when they are illegal, but I've spent a lot of time and effort teaching them to respect the law and follow the rules.
Well, if you want them to continue respecting the law, doing things that make the law respectable seems like a good idea? Because when they inevitably break the law to try those drugs anyway, they are definitely going to lose respect for it (and you) when none of the horrible consequences that were promised happen... or, alternatively, horrible consequences happen and your kid gets to continue "respecting" the law from behind bars, and will forever have that anchor hanging around their necks.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cache Cab posted:

Illegal doesn't mean there has to be jail time. I think the way it works now is good, in that usually if the cop can tell it's a good kid and not some kind of thug or big dealer, they can just let them off with a warning. This way my kids know there is a scary threat of jail, so they will take it seriously, but if they slip up they can get just a slap on the wrist...but hopefully some sense scared into them as well.

When I smoked weed, I remember feeling really slow for days after. I can't imagine what that does to your brain with regular use. Imagine if you could just buy it at the gas station with your energy drinks or what not...

Okay cool no laws for rich or white kids got it

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

Laws set the tone for the discussion. If marijuana is legalized, a parent has to explain that although marijuana is legal for adults, it's not good to use because it makes you a retard. That's a much easier sell when it's illegal.

It may seem like a much easier sell, but it almost certainly isn't, given the prevalence of marijuana use. Whatever discussion parents are having with their kids in the context of legality clearly isn't working, in general. The conversation about cigarettes, though? That one's been more effective. Funny, that.

Cache Cab
Feb 21, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

Well, if you want them to continue respecting the law, doing things that make the law respectable seems like a good idea? Because when they inevitably break the law to try those drugs anyway, they are definitely going to lose respect for it (and you) when none of the horrible consequences that were promised happen... or, alternatively, horrible consequences happen and your kid gets to continue "respecting" the law from behind bars, and will forever have that anchor hanging around their necks.

Hmm... I think I see where you all are coming from. I guess "Debate and Discussion" really is the name of the game here, and the discussion has convinced me that maybe at least marijuana SHOULD be legal. After seeing how that would work, I may be open to further legalization or decriminalization.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Cache Cab posted:

So, how may black guys should go to jail for something in order to deter your kids from doing it?

Cache Cab
Feb 21, 2014
I wasn't talking about black kids. My son had this friend Danny (white kid, by the way), and even though he's only eleven, he's a real piece of poo poo. Luckily they stopped being friends a few months ago, but I could tell this kid was going to be a real piece of work over the next few years. He was always lying to me and making my son do stuff he otherwise wouldn't do. This is the kind of kid that is going to start smoking marijuana when he's 13 or 14, and probably move up to bigger drugs soon after. I think if this kind of kid gets caught, and the cop sees his bad attitude and that kind of thing, that's when the harder laws in place make sense. Get the Dannies off the street on a minor cocaine bust before they are doing armed robbery...that kind of thing.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What the hell is wrong with you?

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

Cache Cab posted:

I wasn't talking about black kids. My son had this friend Danny (white kid, by the way), and even though he's only eleven, he's a real piece of poo poo. Luckily they stopped being friends a few months ago, but I could tell this kid was going to be a real piece of work over the next few years. He was always lying to me and making my son do stuff he otherwise wouldn't do. This is the kind of kid that is going to start smoking marijuana when he's 13 or 14, and probably move up to bigger drugs soon after. I think if this kind of kid gets caught, and the cop sees his bad attitude and that kind of thing, that's when the harder laws in place make sense. Get the Dannies off the street on a minor cocaine bust before they are doing armed robbery...that kind of thing.

What the gently caress is wrong with you? He's an eleven year old child. He needs to be taught good morals and be shown good things. He's probably had a lovely life, been abused, neglected, whatever, and he's acting in the only manner he knows how: shittily.

You can't blame that on an -ELEVEN YEAR OLD CHILD-. Be a loving adult and help the child.

Edit: As far as doing marijuana and other drugs? Jesus my first drug was alcohol, which is a pretty terrible drug. I've been smoking marijuana steadily for years now, and it is my only drug I use. Yet I still live a relatively normal life, have a job, have a home, live well. The only problem I've had recent was an arrest and a small stint in jail, now I'm a felon. This is a result of the legal system regarding marijuana, not a consequence marijuana has brought on me itself.

I know this is extremely anecdotal, and another could come with the opposite about how marijuana ruined their life. If it is so anecdotal, why don't we leave the experimentation up to the individual and educate them the best we can as opposed to just throwing them away. After all, we're going to use drugs anyways, regardless of legality or not.

Mellow_ fucked around with this message at 16:09 on May 9, 2014

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
You have to nip that sort of rebellious behavior in the bud. More time with Father Flanigan and then boarding school to beat it out of him.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

AuxPriest posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you? He's an eleven year old child. He needs to be taught good morals and be shown good things. He's probably had a lovely life, been abused, neglected, whatever, and he's acting in the only manner he knows how: shittily.

You can't blame that on an -ELEVEN YEAR OLD CHILD-. Be a loving adult and help the child.

Yeah, Cache Cab's line of thought is what leads to minors or "just turned 18" folks being incarcerated for life in our wonderful American Gulag Archipelago or being let out X amount of years later branded as felons with virtually no way to climb back up in society and inevitability adding to the nation's already high rates of recidivism.

CheesyDog posted:

Okay cool no laws for rich or white kids got it

Hey now, affluenza is a very serious issue which means we need to take special care of the rich or white kids since the rascals didn't really know what they were doing. Give 'em a slap on the wrist and send them on their way. They'll reform easy.

Blacks and poors, though? First sign of danger means lock 'em up good! They were gonna be dirty drug dealers and users anyways!

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 9, 2014

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Cache Cab posted:

You are so stupid it's painful. I would try my best to keep my kids away from dumbass parents like you.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, re: respect for law is king:

Please do yourself a huge favor and read Thoreau's On the Duty of Civil Disobedience. It beautifully and eloquently states why Cache Cab's "respect for the law" over what is right is utter bullshit and societally dangerous and poisonous.

ChlamydiaJones posted:

For those of you still interested in legal marijuana in Colorado, here is SB155 that is about to be signed (or has been but hasn't been reported yet);

http://www.leg.state.co.us/clics/clics2014a/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/D9A3D581C1128B5D87257C620055A505?open&file=155shhsfin.pdf

and it contains some fairly awesome language;

Taking into account BIAS in the enabling legislation makes me happy to be from Colorado!

Holy poo poo, this is awesome.

I'm not even from Colorado and I feel proud of that state. :3:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 9, 2014

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cache Cab posted:

This is such a kneejerk response. You're doing a disservice to your kids by lying to them (yes, you're lying to them). You're telling them that all illegal drugs are bad, and by your own admission that legal drugs aren't. Caffeine, Nicotine, Alcohol. Do you know what these have in common? They're all legal to buy and consume in any amount, and they all have far, far worse side effects than Marijuana (and they're all highly addictive!). To address your specific point, you can't imagine what weed does to your brain with regular use because you're not a toxicologist. You don't know, but they do. And the answer is nothing. There is no reliable evidence that it has a negative effect at all. But Alcohol and Nicotine have terrible, well documented affects on your body. They're addictive, and dangerous.

You should be teaching your kids to understand the effects of what they put into their bodies and know their limits. If you're not completely honest with them, they are going to end up killing themselves binging on alcohol. I would MUCH rather see kids smoke weed than drink alcohol. Why? because alcohol kills. Weed doesn't.

In case you need this point driven further home, do you know what's also legal? Prescription opiates. If your kid (god forbid) gets into a bad accident and needs medicine to manage the pain, their doctor will prescribe them opiates. Because they spent their whole life learning "Illegal drugs are bad, but legal drugs aren't," they won't think twice about taking them. Hell, maybe if the pain is really bad, they'll take 2 instead of 1, or take them 3 hours apart instead of 4. I mean, they're legal, so they can't be bad, right? Think about it. You're setting them up for opiate addiction. Do you know what people do when they can't get their opiate fix? They buy loving heroine from a street dealer. Heroine that is made in a basement lab that isn't sterile, isn't pure, and isn't safe.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but you have to see what you're doing. You think you're protecting them, but by not telling them the whole truth and being open and honest, you're setting them up to make bad decisions. They may be kids now, but they will be adults. They will probably have kids of their own, and they need to know what's safe and what's not to keep their kids safe. They need the truth, because if you lie to them now, they will always believe the lies. Own up to it. Tell them you haven't been entirely honest, and treat them like intelligent beings that need all the correct information to make correct decisions.

Disclaimer: Caffeine isn't bad for you. Studies show that it actually helps both your heart and your brain. It's also really hard (impractical) to overdose on. It is still addictive, and does have more side-effects than marijuana, however. NEVER mix it with alcohol.

forgot my pants
Feb 28, 2005
Wow, I see 23 new posts and figure there's been news, but instead it's just a bunch of people taking the bait from an obvious troll.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Oh hey Jim Jordan in the DC hearing is bringing up the IRS Scandal. Awesome.

Edit: He came prepared with facts, figures, and quotes, so he could hijack the meeting. gently caress you, Jim Jordan.

SgtScruffy fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 9, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Please tell me all of that was a joke OH YEAH, I bought you that title for even stupider poo poo than this.

Jesus christ America.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

forgot my pants posted:

Wow, I see 23 new posts and figure there's been news, but instead it's just a bunch of people taking the bait from an obvious troll.

Sadly, I doubt Cache Cab is trolling. People actually think that lying to their kids protects them. They don't even think of it as lying, because they don't know any better. It's what they were taught.

Even if he/she is trolling, it's still common enough that it needs to be addressed.

Cache Cab
Feb 21, 2014

KillHour posted:

This is such a kneejerk response. You're doing a disservice to your kids by lying to them (yes, you're lying to them). You're telling them that all illegal drugs are bad, and by your own admission that legal drugs aren't. Caffeine, Nicotine, Alcohol. Do you know what these have in common? They're all legal to buy and consume in any amount, and they all have far, far worse side effects than Marijuana (and they're all highly addictive!). To address your specific point, you can't imagine what weed does to your brain with regular use because you're not a toxicologist. You don't know, but they do. And the answer is nothing. There is no reliable evidence that it has a negative effect at all. But Alcohol and Nicotine have terrible, well documented affects on your body. They're addictive, and dangerous.

You should be teaching your kids to understand the effects of what they put into their bodies and know their limits. If you're not completely honest with them, they are going to end up killing themselves binging on alcohol. I would MUCH rather see kids smoke weed than drink alcohol. Why? because alcohol kills. Weed doesn't.

In case you need this point driven further home, do you know what's also legal? Prescription opiates. If your kid (god forbid) gets into a bad accident and needs medicine to manage the pain, their doctor will prescribe them opiates. Because they spent their whole life learning "Illegal drugs are bad, but legal drugs aren't," they won't think twice about taking them. Hell, maybe if the pain is really bad, they'll take 2 instead of 1, or take them 3 hours apart instead of 4. I mean, they're legal, so they can't be bad, right? Think about it. You're setting them up for opiate addiction. Do you know what people do when they can't get their opiate fix? They buy loving heroine from a street dealer. Heroine that is made in a basement lab that isn't sterile, isn't pure, and isn't safe.

I hate to beat a dead horse, but you have to see what you're doing. You think you're protecting them, but by not telling them the whole truth and being open and honest, you're setting them up to make bad decisions. They may be kids now, but they will be adults. They will probably have kids of their own, and they need to know what's safe and what's not to keep their kids safe. They need the truth, because if you lie to them now, they will always believe the lies. Own up to it. Tell them you haven't been entirely honest, and treat them like intelligent beings that need all the correct information to make correct decisions.

Disclaimer: Caffeine isn't bad for you. Studies show that it actually helps both your heart and your brain. It's also really hard (impractical) to overdose on. It is still addictive, and does have more side-effects than marijuana, however. NEVER mix it with alcohol.

Thanks for the well thought out points. I will seriously re-evaluate how I've been communicating with my kids about drugs...and I'll think more about other things that are illegal but maybe shouldn't be. It's really nice to be on a forum where you can discuss stuff like this and come away learning something... even if it's hard for me to admit (to myself) that I was wrong and didn't think this through all the way.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cache Cab posted:

Thanks for the well thought out points. I will seriously re-evaluate how I've been communicating with my kids about drugs...and I'll think more about other things that are illegal but maybe shouldn't be. It's really nice to be on a forum where you can discuss stuff like this and come away learning something... even if it's hard for me to admit (to myself) that I was wrong and didn't think this through all the way.

Thank God. You're not a bad parent for wanting to protect your kids. You just need to remember that they won't always be kids, and you won't always be there to make decisions for them. This is something to remember not just about drugs - every hard decision they will ever make will be made easier with correct, factual, unbiased information.

Trust that your kids want to do the right thing for themselves. They just need to know what it is.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

OK the hearing is in recess, which at first I hoped was so that the chairman could tell Jim Jordan to shut the gently caress up about the IRS, but then I realized that the chairman is Darrell Issa so now I hate everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

e: Crosspost. Never mind?

KernelSlanders fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 9, 2014

• Locked thread