Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

"the Maid"

She sure cleans up enemy armies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well. After my last post, I decided to hire the Great Company and just kick the boy king's rear end; my character reclaimed the throne at age six. She's currently ten, and has picked up some nice traits from the same woman who educated her mother. Decided to look for potential matrilineal betrothals, see if there were any awesome alliances or eugenics candidates. Found the son of the Holy Roman Emperor.

The only son of the Holy Roman Emperor.

This could be fun, assuming something horrible doesn't happen again.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PBJ posted:

"the Maid"

She sure cleans up enemy armies.

I'm pretty sure that that level of martial skill means that she can defeat an entire army by glancing in its general direction.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So hey, here's some photographic evidence of "adventurer hosts are horribly broken": the adventurer here gets about 30k troops. With all my personal and vassal levies and my 7000 retinue troops (Ethiopian skirmishers, which is the only reason I have so many), I barely have over half their numbers. If I went all out and hired all the mercenaries and holy order troops available to me, they'd still outnumber me.

Here's my save from right before the invasion: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6T0HrwDQAQLVkFvSFR6X2FJMVE/edit?usp=sharing

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 07:39 on May 9, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Unlanded sons going off to become adventurers sounded so festive when I first heard about it. :(

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

So, uh, any ironman performance update in the beta patch? I didn't see it mentioned.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
It's based on max potential numbers isn't it? Do all your vassals love the poo poo out of you -and- aren't constrained by your levy laws? Just because you can't use the men yourself, doesn't mean they aren't there.

I love it sometimes when a Crusade manages to happen at just the right time. In my recent game as the last surviving patrilinial member of the Wessex line(he starts as a courtier in Scotland so I cheated a bit and gave him the county of Wessex in the Stanford Bridge start), the Pope called for a crusade for Jerusalem at just the right time(England was stable and I had a way too powerful megaduke who controlled most of the kingdom and had 100 opinion of me) and it was hilariously easy. Then I just created a merchant republic out of the coastline and gave the rest to my second son and bam profit. My only problem is that despite having two sons, the first has somehow managed to not have any kids despite beind perfectly fertile, and the second has one but they're both ugly and have no awful stats outside of diplomacy(which is good but still). Given that my control over England at this point is mostly because everyone loves me, and i'm a little worried about what will happen when I die. The infuriating part is how I can't seem to get any foothold on Scotland or Ireland because my chancellors are awful at fabricating claims and Scotland is ruled by a smug little bastard who interferes with any claim attempts and manages to be just likable enough that the Pope refuses to do anything to him. I very much look forward to exterminating him and his line with great prejudice, just like I did with William the Bastard after I stole the Kingdom of England out from under his hands the second he got distracted with France. God CKII is fun sometimes.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I just want to point out that you should never let your kids be educated by a zealous character, because they will screw up their ward's education. When you are the tutor and a child develops a bad trait, remember one of the options being something like "pray away his sin" or something like that? That has a 80-90% change to do nothing but gives you piety. Zealous tutor's will pick that option every time, so don't give them your kids to educate.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Zeron posted:

It's based on max potential numbers isn't it? Do all your vassals love the poo poo out of you -and- aren't constrained by your levy laws? Just because you can't use the men yourself, doesn't mean they aren't there.

Yeah, no poo poo. How is that supposed to help me though? Even if I magically made all my vassals have 100 opinion of me, they would still outnumber me.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 9, 2014

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
So I have finally reformed the Norse Faith, and I'm ready to set up an Empire.

Right now my char is the King of Ireland (Medium Crown Authority) and can create both Scotland and Denmark. What should I do to have the highest Crown Authority possible in the Empire?

Actually, how does the game decide the initial laws of a Kingdom/Empire when you create it for the first time?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Fister Roboto posted:

So hey, here's some photographic evidence of "adventurer hosts are horribly broken": the adventurer here gets about 30k troops. With all my personal and vassal levies and my 7000 retinue troops (Ethiopian skirmishers, which is the only reason I have so many), I barely have over half their numbers. If I went all out and hired all the mercenaries and holy order troops available to me, they'd still outnumber me.

Here's my save from right before the invasion: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6T0HrwDQAQLVkFvSFR6X2FJMVE/edit?usp=sharing

Looks to me like he's split 10k off his stack. Hire the Holy Order, raise your levies, and pummel the split stack?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jedit posted:

Looks to me like he's split 10k off his stack. Hire the Holy Order, raise your levies, and pummel the split stack?

Except then he just re-merges the stack before I get anywhere close to him.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Fat Samurai posted:

So I have finally reformed the Norse Faith, and I'm ready to set up an Empire.

Right now my char is the King of Ireland (Medium Crown Authority) and can create both Scotland and Denmark. What should I do to have the highest Crown Authority possible in the Empire?

Actually, how does the game decide the initial laws of a Kingdom/Empire when you create it for the first time?

I believe it takes them from your primary title. The nice part is that it clears your crown laws, so you can up authority again if you want after you make the empire.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
As a doge is it possible to mend the schism? I started as Amalfi for Cataphract retinues, and my second ruler was already Orthodox. Short term goal is creating Sicily, long term would naturally lead to expansion within most of those lands anyway so it seems like a good challenge if it is possible.

Redczar
Nov 9, 2011

paranoid randroid posted:

Is there a chance this would address an issue I've had where the Mac launcher has stopped appearing for me?

In case you hadn't found out, yes it does and it's glorious

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

paranoid randroid posted:

Is there a chance this would address an issue I've had where the Mac launcher has stopped appearing for me?

I hope so, yes!

Thanks!

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 9, 2014

londonmoose
Mar 22, 2011
Quick question about crown laws. I just formed Alba (Britannia as formed by Scotland :scotland:) for the first time, and hold the Kingdoms of Scotland (primary) and England. Ireland and Wales are also mine, but I never formed their Kingdoms.

I had to institute low crown authority for Scotland thanks to an rear end in a top hat faction that I wasn't in a position to say no to right at the start of my current PCs reign, so when I formed Alba, it was also on low authority. England is on medium. My question is basically, does empire crown authority supersede kingdom crown authority within its de jure territory? I'm guessing yes, because when I raised the empire crown authority to medium, all my Scottish vassals stopped fighting each other, even though Scottish crown authority is still on low. But on the de jure kingdom map mode it still lists the active crown laws of the individual kingdoms to be in effect (i.e. it implies Scotland is affected by low authority laws only).

Additionally, what happens if the crown authority of a kingdom is higher than that of its empire? I'm going to have to bring England to High temporarily so that I can switch succession to primogeniture, to match Scotland and Brittania. England is currently on gavelkind, thanks to an endless series of revolts over the last decades (it's how I managed to set up to inherit the entire kingdom at once, but it has left me with a right mess to deal with now).

This is all in a vanilla game.

Sorry if this is basic stuff - although I've played ck2 for over 150 hours now, it's actually only the first time I've ever formed a new empire from scratch! It's generally been my most successful ever run; starting as Duke of Lothian in 1066, managed to usurp Scotland less than 10 years into it, and formed the Empire less than 200 years later. Of course if you really know what you're doing, that's quite slow, but I generally actively avoid power-gaming, so I'm quite happy about it!

Cheers!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Zeron posted:

It's not supposed to work that way. Even if it were, that would be dumb as hell, because nobody in any reasonable context is going to have all their vassals at 100 opinion with maximum crown authority and feudal levies; it would just mean "Adventurers win every time, because they get the troops of your country's nega-universe hive-mind counterpart."

It's just a bug. Which is also why they're getting exactly 30,000 troops, instead of any number that would match the much messier levy totals of a kingdom.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 10:24 on May 9, 2014

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright, after the ignoble end of my vanilla Ironman Munster run, I'm back to trying HIP's Zoroastrian start. After several tries to win even a single war (for some reason things went much, much worse than they do for me in the base game), I managed to take over Khiva (duchy, not kingdom), and then I... Did nothing. The holy war change guts the Zoroastrian game; you basically get one war every five years because you don't have the income to repeatedly fabricate claims, which would still probably be even slower than relying on holy wars since all your neighbors are so big so you'd be getting a single province and then trucing instead of four or five, and you can't rely on eventually forming a kingdom and de jure warring the other half of it because all the kingdoms will be created before then and you can't usurp another religion's sole primary title. Unless a neighbor manages to form multiple kingdoms so you can usurp one, except in that case you're probably going to die because they're so much bigger than you. Meanwhile, no one else will even pretend to negotiate with you so the politics game doesn't happen; in the base game you'd eventually get some kingdoms and an empire going and then try to deal with that while you also fight to convert your lands and stuff, but you don't really reach that point here. Especially since the only thing really keeping you alive is you taking down your enemies before they can do the same to you, which you can't really do here.

I get why they changed how the holy war casus belli works. It's possibly the best commonly-available CB. However, without it Zoroastrian games are basically waiting to get to do anything, or more likely waiting to die. Or converting to something other than Zoroastrianism but then, well, it's not a Zoroastrian game anymore. It really sucks too because the other stuff in HIP, including that one mod that adds more unique stuff to Zoroastrianism, is really cool, but you can't do anything with most of it.

In less frustrated news, in this same game the Shia caliph actually managed to take over and now has a kingdom. It's still mostly Sunni but he's making progress, forcing vassals to convert to Shia. Will be interested in seeing how it turns out, assuming I'm not dead by then.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

This right here is really all the justification you need for breaking out the console and just console killing him. Putting band aids over bugs is why the thing exists.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
All this talk about elective made me want to try it on my Russia Empire, Im kinda bored waiting fot the mongols to come.

I never been elective as an empire, so how hosed I will be, considering that I have 6 vassal kings?

EDIT: about adventures: I had 3 or 4 target me, all with 30K, 40K hosts. But my retinues combined with my levies are way over that, so I never had much trouble beating then, they are just annoying. It seems like a scale issue.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 9, 2014

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
Its not an issue of scale, its an issue of simply not scaling. It's supposed to spit out something reasonably compared to your troop count, but always spits out something even and huge.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Angela Christine posted:

Unlanded sons going off to become adventurers sounded so festive when I first heard about it. :(

Yeh when I first found out about adventuring sons I thought they would be going off finding ancient relics and eradicating evil just for them to turn up at my door with 30k hostile troops saying "so about that title..."

I've never actually lost to an adventurer army what happens if your son wins and he gets some land does he become an ally because he's the same dynasty?

Also does anyone have any tips for starting as a Jew like start location and tactics?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Thrasophius posted:

Also does anyone have any tips for starting as a Jew like start location and tactics?

Playing as a Jew is basically CKII's Nightmare difficulty.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

Its not an issue of scale, its an issue of simply not scaling. It's supposed to spit out something reasonably compared to your troop count, but always spits out something even and huge.

Yeah, that's what I meant: 30K when you have around that in levies (plus your retinues) its pretty reasonable, even easy.

But when you can hardly amass half of it (like it happened to other posters here), then its overwhelming.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 9, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Has anyone ever seen the AI reform the norse faith on its own?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DStecks posted:

I've actually found Judaism to be a decently powerful religion so long as you don't start as Jewish but instead convert as a larger state. If you start as, say, the Tulunids, and convert using the Jews in East Africa, you can start holy warring all of Arabia and form Israel/the Temple in one or two generations. It doesn't really have the benefits of other religions (vassal popes as a Catholic, Muslim ducal revocation and decadence bonuses, Norse everything) but there are a lot of benefits to being the only state of your religion once you're powerful enough to at least white peace out of any Crusades/Jihads.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 9, 2014

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thrasophius posted:

Start as the King of Khazaria in 867, and use your event troops and mercenaries hired with your massive starting funds to shiv the biggest, meanest motherfucker on the block - the Cumans. From there you can more or less holy war your way to being the emperor of Tataria.

For me, the biggest challenge as the Khazars is that you'll have low MA for a very long time, so you'll basically never be able to convert your conquered provinces, and you'll have to deal with a fuckton of rebellions.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Warning to anybody with Sunset Invasion: disabling the DLC after the event chain has already tripped in your game won't stop it. :smith:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Enjoy your Aztecs. :kheldragar:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Lawman 0 posted:

Has anyone ever seen the AI reform the norse faith on its own?

Yes, once. When I was playing as Norse Russia. I really wanted to avoid doing it myself, didn't want to get involved in Scandinavia. After a couple of centuries where the Scandinavian rulers couldn't even form their respective kingdoms, let alone reform the faith, I was so frustrated. I was moving my retinues to the northern border all set to just press my dynasty members' many claims and/or subjugate the whole thing.

Right as I was about to declare war someone died, someone else lost a war, and Denmark ended up ruling most of Scandinavia and immediately reformed the faith (they lost it all within ten years but I did not give a gently caress, I had primogeniture!).

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Civilized Fishbot posted:

but there are a lot of benefits to being the only state of your religion once you're powerful enough to at least white peace out of any Crusades/Jihads.

That is exactly why I play Zoroastrian so I can blitzkrieg a holy war across a continent and consolidate a massive power base in a few years. Screw truce breaker penalty, the other religions hate you anyway.

DStecks posted:

Fister Roboto posted:

Start as the King of Khazaria in 867, and use your event troops and mercenaries hired with your massive starting funds to shiv the biggest, meanest motherfucker on the block - the Cumans. From there you can more or less holy war your way to being the emperor of Tataria.

For me, the biggest challenge as the Khazars is that you'll have low MA for a very long time, so you'll basically never be able to convert your conquered provinces, and you'll have to deal with a fuckton of rebellions.

If it's difficult then I'm in, I love the difficult starts because I just find it boring if I'm not having to wring every troop and piece of gold from the province to survive the neighbours. The only other starting Jew is the one in Abyssinia isn't it?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Bug Report: a character can die in battle to nobody in particular (presumably to an army with no flank commanders), but still get a red skull. Clicking that red skull crashes the game.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

So I am playing Cathars on Sicily, the aim is to kick the pope out of Rome at the moment. Also I got my daughter matrilineally married to the future emperor of HRE. The Catholics are so screwed if this one works out.

Whose courtiers will the kids be if the husband is a ruler but matrilineally married to my courtier?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Thrasophius posted:

That is exactly why I play Zoroastrian so I can blitzkrieg a holy war across a continent and consolidate a massive power base in a few years. Screw truce breaker penalty, the other religions hate you anyway.

If it's difficult then I'm in, I love the difficult starts because I just find it boring if I'm not having to wring every troop and piece of gold from the province to survive the neighbours. The only other starting Jew is the one in Abyssinia isn't it?

Yeah, and he's by far the more difficult of the two. You start as a two-province duke surrounded on all sides by Copts that hate your rear end, and even if you manage to get past them, you then have to deal with the Muslims.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

BioMe posted:

Whose courtiers will the kids be if the husband is a ruler but matrilineally married to my courtier?
The husband's. Once he actually inherits the throne, your daughter will move to his court.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

BioMe posted:

So I am playing Cathars on Sicily, the aim is to kick the pope out of Rome at the moment.

That sounds like a really bad plan, IMO. That goes beyond kicking the hornet's nest, you're fuckin' punting it.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

The husband's. Once he actually inherits the throne, your daughter will move to his court.

Okay yeah, that was stupid question. If she gets a ruler title after her husband then she leaves his court though. Would she get the kids then, or should I just make sure she'll have a title before her husband does?

DStecks posted:

That sounds like a really bad plan, IMO. That goes beyond kicking the hornet's nest, you're fuckin' punting it.

Nah it will totally work out trust me

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Eughhh, why does my lovely kingdom of Brittany revert to Gavelkind when my king dies? I'd managed to get in Tanistry via conquering Ireland and letting my guy go Irish but now the fucker is back to the goddamn Gavelkind.

Is there some kind of console command to revert it to that? It was annoying but a hell of a lot better than anything else I could do around there. (Alas, my Basque concubine did not give me the Basque culture heir for additional shenanigans)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

BioMe posted:

Okay yeah, that was stupid question. If she gets a ruler title after her husband then she leaves his court though. Would she get the kids then, or should I just make sure she'll have a title before her husband does?
I believe in that case that any kids already born when she gets the title would remain with the father, but future kids would be in her court.

• Locked thread