Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

I know this is from a few pages ago:

jassi007 posted:

Estimates are 1200-1500 judges from 2005 and up that will be eligable for it. If its 1 copy each, well consider that players wanting a full playset its going to be insanely expensive and make no impact on regular FoW price at all. That is my opinion anyway. Most of the finance people are talking $500-1000+ per card. I wonder if most judges will hold them given its all l2's and up, and we assume 1 per judge.

On the flip side, 'dat Elesh Norn. I must have one.

https://twitter.com/HeleneBergeot/status/464420907243429888

I imagine WotC realizes just how much demand there will be for this card. I'm looking forward to getting mine, but I might unload it if the price is right.

I also know some judges weren't thrilled with the "certify a new judge" requirement.

EDIT: Yeah, 'dat Elesh Norn. Also, they revealed seven new judge promos. This is strange for a number of reasons, but mainly because they only rotate six new ones in each year. I wonder if they're also sending a promo to all judges this year.

BXCX posted:

Not that I'm playing in all that many Competitive and Pro level events, but I've been using one of these to keep track of life totals lately:

I'm assuming that it wouldn't be allowed even though it's basically just a replacement for pen and paper. Hopefully they don't end up extending the ban to Regular/FNM, it's been really nice not having to scramble around for paper when I run out or have a life pad explode in my backpack.

Most of my fellow L2+ judges have said they would allow it. Always check with your Head Judge, but I don't see it being an issue. There just isn't the same room for abuse that tablets and cellphones have. Also, there are currently no plans to extend the ban on electronic devices to Regular REL.

Brownhat fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

beergod posted:

Getting back into MTGO after a few year hiatus. What are some standard staples for now and any upcoming rotation? Dual lands? Thanks

Mutavault. Almost every competitive standard deck has Mutavault, often as a 4-of. Its therefore expensive. It's likely to rotate because its a Core Set rare that's played way too often.

The other card I'd probably call a "staple" is Thoughtseize. This was reprinted in Theros, and does not rotate until Fall 2015.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Angry Grimace posted:

Mutavault. Almost every competitive standard deck has Mutavault, often as a 4-of. Its therefore expensive. It's likely to rotate because its a Core Set rare that's played way too often.

The other card I'd probably call a "staple" is Thoughtseize. This was reprinted in Theros, and does not rotate until Fall 2015.

Are people really running 4 of Mutavault? I can't see that helping your mana in the majority of decks...

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

OssiansFolly posted:

Are people really running 4 of Mutavault? I can't see that helping your mana in the majority of decks...

Not necessarily, but a lot of decks actually do, simply because a lot of decks are either MBD or a variant of MBD.

The top three decks at the SCG thing last week were MBD, U/W control and a Junk midrange deck. The first ran 4, the second ran 3 and the third ran 0. If 3 color decks become a thing, then you'll see a lot less of Mutavault.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 9, 2014

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

3 Mutavault 66.05% 76.28% 3.5

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/format-staples/standard

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

Anyone know whats going on with the art on JOU cards in the regular MTGO client? It's all missing except Ajani, lol.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
The chipmunk IS the +1/+1 counter. Ajani is covering ghor-clan Rampagers in chipmunks. This let's them do more damage because

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
So I had some jank foil (and a couple non-foils) cards just sitting out in the open for at least a year. A layer of dust settled over them, and now I finally picked them up and cleaned it off. However, I noticed for some of the cards, the dust is leaving this gritty feel all over the front, as if some of the dust is refusing to come off easily. Any idea what's a good way to... clean cards?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

demons. posted:

Anyone know whats going on with the art on JOU cards in the regular MTGO client? It's all missing except Ajani, lol.

Weird, I pulled Ajani, Mentor of Heroes in a draft last night and that was the only card that didn't have any art.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Weird, I pulled Ajani, Mentor of Heroes in a draft last night and that was the only card that didn't have any art.

There were people in the release room talking about it as well so it's not just me.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

demons. posted:

There were people in the release room talking about it as well so it's not just me.

It is not just you.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp
Ajani isn't the only one with art. There's also, uh, this:

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Gods, MODO is such a terrible piece of poo poo.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
so, V3 going dark in July? and we have to play the beta? could MTGO be any more of a trainwreck??

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

JerryLee posted:

If it helps, I liked the pun
___________/

big surprise, maro

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

JAMOOOL posted:

so, V3 going dark in July? and we have to play the beta? could MTGO be any more of a trainwreck??

Presumably they're going to spend the next two months working on stability issues. At least, I hope they realize that's what they need to focus all of their resources on.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Archers gone wild! See what MODO doesn't want you to see! Only $9.95 on pay-per-view.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Yeah stability and lag time is #1, but the dozens of ways the new client is inexplicably unintuitive and user-unfriendly may not get addressed for a long time.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Can someone elaborate on what the deal is with free drafts on MODO? I don't have an account, and was messing around with the Free Trial on the beta client where you can play one of the preconstructed decks against other people. I thought the free drafts thing immediately filled up?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

JAMOOOL posted:

Yeah stability and lag time is #1, but the dozens of ways the new client is inexplicably unintuitive and user-unfriendly may not get addressed for a long time.

They're aware that the collection view needs work, but you'd have a hard time convincing me the queues page, play area, and drafting/sealed are any worse than v3.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I honestly and truly think the play area is worse than the old client. I've been in the actual beta for the new client for over a year and when I first tried it the very first comment I made was that there needed to be a way to pop out the graveyard. There still isn't (as of the last I tried out the client at least, so a month or so ago) an obvious way of doing this.

e; I realize this is just one thing, but it is one of many things.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
In my (limited) experience with the beta client, it just seemed like so many of the design decisions came from a desire to do something new or clever without actually thinking if it would improve the experience.

A better-performing, more attractively skinned version of v3 with maybe a few incremental improvements would have been perfectly good but they decided the wheel needed reinventing.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I really want a disgruntled employee to leak some of the rules-handling code, because I am so morbidly curious. I bet it's positively lovecraftian at this point.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

It must be a spoiler from the new set!

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The March Hare posted:

I honestly and truly think the play area is worse than the old client. I've been in the actual beta for the new client for over a year and when I first tried it the very first comment I made was that there needed to be a way to pop out the graveyard. There still isn't (as of the last I tried out the client at least, so a month or so ago) an obvious way of doing this.

I agree. My own pet peeve is the lack of the clear targeting arrows v3 has. It is very annoying to have to mouseover spells and effects all the time to figure out what is being targeted.

Kabanaw posted:

They're aware that the collection view needs work, but you'd have a hard time convincing me the queues page, play area, and drafting/sealed are any worse than v3.

If the best they can do is "not any worse" than v3 (and even that is arguable), they should probably wait on release until they have a product that is actually an improvement over it's predecessor.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

^^^ They're changing targetting "very soon," according to Worth. I would agree that they should probably release something that's an improvement - but at the very least, if they can get it to "as good as v3" then they can turn off the old client and then stop spending resources implementing new sets on two clients and instead focus on improving one.

The March Hare posted:

I also think there's a lot of things in the new client that work much better than in the old. Lands stacking greatly increase the space on the battlefield. Tokens stacking do the same thing. Counters are represented by a distinct symbol with a number (which I believe they mentioned they'll be shrinking somewhat and moving off the center of the card) instead of the same symbol with a bit of text near it. The macros like tap all lands in this stack or attack with all creatures can save a ton of time. I don't think there's many changes they made that don't reduce to "that could be implemented."

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

That piece has been sitting in the set files since Theros was released, oddly enough. I dig through the image files and always find new weird things after updates. Steelform Sliver was in there months before the M14 sliver announcement, there's a weird sketchy version of one of the Face the Hydra cards, etc.

Did we ever figure out what this was from?

Yesterday's download didn't seem to include any Journey into Nyx art which I found odd.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Angry Grimace posted:

Aaron Forsythe said in an interview that reprinting Mutavault was a mistake, so yeah, we're not likely to ever see that in a core set again.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Every time people say "They'll never reprint something that powerful in Standard again", something like Mutavault or Thoughtseize gets reprinted.

Eagerly awaiting an M15 that features Brainstorm, Lightning Bolt, Dark Ritual, Worldly Tutor, and Swords to Plowshares.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

qbert posted:

Every time people say "They'll never reprint something that powerful in Standard again", something like Mutavault or Thoughtseize gets reprinted.

Eagerly awaiting an M15 that features Brainstorm, Lightning Bolt, Dark Ritual, Worldly Tutor, and Swords to Plowshares.

I imagine that out of all of these, Dark Ritual would completely obliterate the format the most.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I think Mutavault could be fine in a format with better mana. Did it dominate Standard like this back when Lorwyn was in Standard? I guess Faeries ran it, but...

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Angry Grimace posted:

I imagine that out of all of these, Dark Ritual would completely obliterate the format the most.

Also the effect is in red now.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Angry Grimace posted:

T1 master of feast t2 desecration demon!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Brainstorm would probably destroy Modern

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Attorney at Funk posted:

I think Mutavault could be fine in a format with better mana.

Are you high? The only better mana is if we had allied and enemy fetches and revised duals.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

JAMOOOL posted:

Brainstorm would probably destroy Modern

We were unhappy with how the addition of Brainstorm to Modern has warped the format, so we have banned islands

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

And then Modern will truly be the best format... :allears:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Printing Brainstorm into a Standard format that didn't have shuffling (or at least forced you to work harder for it than getting it free with your manabase) would potentially be reasonable.

They would have to ban it in Modern though, which would call down a bunch of snark from people who don't understand, or just have a weird principled objection to, the Modern banning philosophy.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

kizudarake posted:

Are you high? The only better mana is if we had allied and enemy fetches and revised duals.

The mana was leagues better last year. This format has great mana for really slow decks, and decks that are monocolor or monocolor with a splash. These are also the two kinds of decks that really want Mutavault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

This, but unironically.

• Locked thread