Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like what your team did in the draft?
This poll is closed.
Yes! 216 60.34%
No 20 5.59%
lol 65 18.16%
gently caress 38 10.61%
I'm a Skins fan, is something going on right now? 19 5.31%
Total: 358 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Doltos posted:

They could kick Oher inside. He was having a ton of trouble in Baltimore before he left.

They just gave a ton of money to one guard and drafted another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Volkerball posted:

It's funny learning afterwards that my hope for the top 5 was exactly the same as McKenzie and Allen, so we were cheering for the exact same situation the whole time. If we would have traded down had the Jags not Jagged, I would've been pretty happy with that result.

Hey, I called it a couple days ago, if Watkins/Mack were gone, trade the pick, I'd have loved a boatload of 49er 2nd and 3rd picks. And yes, I jumped out of my seat when we got Bortled.

Thank you, Jacksonville Jaguars.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Sweeney Tom posted:

@TonyGrossi
Per @SalPal_ESPN, #Browns have sold 1200 season ticket packages since midnight after the Johnny Manziel draft.

How many season tickets did the #Jaguars sell since midnight?

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
If the Pats take a QB, obviously we'd hear even more about Mallett to the Texans. Bengals could be landing spot for Savage as well

GOD NO

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Think Stevie might be a scheme casualty. I think Buffalo is going with an idiot proof offense build around speed.
Stevie is a good receiver for cerebral quarterbacks because his skills are not physical but in his ability to outfox and get open. Last year he got stupidly open but Manuel had as much idea where he was as the corner.

Don't know if he will be a good fit for San Fran but he definitely can be a weapon if utilized correctly.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Gerund posted:

...and you will know Taylor Lewan by the threats of rape is a p decent band. I like their single "Another Morning Facemask"

That's a good one, as is their hit, Ode to Holding.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Atticus Finch posted:

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora
If the Pats take a QB, obviously we'd hear even more about Mallett to the Texans. Bengals could be landing spot for Savage as well

GOD NO

I'd be ok with taking Savage

I mean, like, in the 6th

whatis
Jun 6, 2012

Burger Trench posted:

Yeah. I've been generally pretty okay with the Bills moves the past 24 hours. No one else seems to agree, though, so I hope I didn't forget to remove my homer glasses.

I think pre-stabbing, everyone would have agreed Mike Williams and Stevie Johnson are in the same tier of receiver. I'm also not jiving with the "why would you trade up for a receiver in this deep class" mentality. It's because Sammy Watkins is supposed to be an exceptional prospect. There's (theoretically, at least) a huge difference between a Watkins and a Beckham, Jr. If Watkins can become what the Bills expect him to be, we're talking about a top 5 receiver, not a top 25.

I don't have much of an issue either. As you said, Watkins has the potential to be a tier above (he's really loving young, too) and the team made a move to improve his year for what seems like the first time in a decade. They've proven time and time again that they suck at the long-game development strategy, so gently caress it, go hog wild--prove you suck at the short-game too.

As far as the Johnson thing goes, I think there's some injury concerns that played into the decision to trade him, but we'll see how he does next season.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

warcrimes posted:

I'm actually wondering why the 49ers end of the deal isn't under a bigger microscope. They now have three possession recievers and still nobody to stretch the field, which is what they've needed for, oh, I don't know, ten years? In fact, I've been pretty underwhelmed with the 49ers moves so far. They didn't package picks to move up and grab one of the elite CBs and reached for Ward at a position that wasn't an immediate need.

Ward is a hybrid S/CB (played both in college). He'll be starting off as a nickle corner, which was absolutely the position of need for the team. Johnson is good for the team because he has three years left on his contract, and Crabtree (and possibly Boldin) is gone after this year.

I expect them to get a speed WR today.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Vic Tafur Friday, May 9 at 10:55am-

Not everybody loved the Raiders picking linebacker Khalil Mack in the first round. Here’s Jon Gruden:
The ESPN analyst and former Raiders head coach Gruden said Mack is raw “in space” as an outside linebacker. “He reminds me of Sio Moore,” Gruden said. “I’m still shocked they didn’t pick a quarterback.”
Of course, Gruden was having a heart attack any time any team passed on his guy Johnny Manziel. Manziel finally went to the Browns 22nd.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

MourningView posted:

They just gave a ton of money to one guard and drafted another.

Yeah then I don't know at all. Warmack/Levitre should hold the inside, Schwenke was a third rounder iirc, and then Roos/Oher on the bookends. I guess the pick was a BPA pick after how good Lewan's draft process was.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Volkerball posted:

I was just pleading all the way through the top 4, somebody, SOMEBODY take someone that isn't Mack, Clowney, Watkins, Robinson. I was cheering my rear end off at the Jags. We owe them more than we can ever explain.

gently caress. Yes.

When The Jags took Bortles and the Bills traded up for Watkins I wanted to jump up and salute the TV because I didn't give a poo poo what happened after that, the Falcons were either getting Mack or Matthews.

But I sat there and smiled, then watched the rest of the draft anyway, hoping there wouldn't be a run safeties. :smith:

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

Coldforge posted:

Ward is a hybrid S/CB (played both in college). He'll be starting off as a nickle corner, which was absolutely the position of need for the team.

I expect them to get a speed WR today.

Fair enough, you're the 49er fan and better plugged in than I am. Although a Raider guy, I'm looking forward to watching what the niners do today.

ChristianDB
Jun 29, 2008

pasaluki posted:

Think Stevie might be a scheme casualty. I think Buffalo is going with an idiot proof offense build around speed.
Stevie is a good receiver for cerebral quarterbacks because his skills are not physical but in his ability to outfox and get open. Last year he got stupidly open but Manuel had as much idea where he was as the corner.

Don't know if he will be a good fit for San Fran but he definitely can be a weapon if utilized correctly.

Thank you for the explanation. I was really confused as to why draft a wide out and get rid of a veteran "slot" receiver since he could just get opened. I would love him on the patriots.

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

I still cant believe Dennard fell right in our laps god bless the steelers

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I woke up this morning in a post-bortles nfl.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

I'd be ok with taking Savage

I mean, like, in the 6th
I believe he's implying today.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

warcrimes posted:

I'm actually wondering why the 49ers end of the deal isn't under a bigger microscope. They now have three possession recievers and still nobody to stretch the field, which is what they've needed for, oh, I don't know, ten years? In fact, I've been pretty underwhelmed with the 49ers moves so far. They didn't package picks to move up and grab one of the elite CBs and reached for Ward at a position that wasn't an immediate need.
I don't really get Johnson in SF and thought that Carolina and Jacksonville should have gotten in on the bidding for the price that Johnson went for. SF in my mind still needs to draft a receiver because Boldin and Crabtree are not going to be there for much longer.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Your team has 5 rings. I don't think you get to play the downtrodden masses for a few decades yet.

...but I have 10 fingers

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

Atticus Finch posted:

I believe he's implying today.

I kind of don't even see the point of taking a QB high, like even a theoretically good non-Savage one, at this point because Campbell got a significant amount of money and carrying 3 QBs seems poor, seems like it makes the most sense to take a QB late if anything that can be snuck onto the p-squad rather than a high profile guy.

I mean whether you think that that's the answer to the Andy Dalton problem is one thing (its not) but I think that's what the Bengals will do

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Chilichimp posted:

But I sat there and smiled, then watched the rest of the draft anyway, hoping there wouldn't be a run safeties. :smith:

I watched the whole thing in the vain hope that it would be the Raiders trading up to 30 or 32 for Bridgewater. :sigh:

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I still cant believe Dennard fell right in our laps god bless the steelers

Is it just me or was anyone else saying, "drat, that was a good pick," a LOT last night. While a boring narrative, the only real head scratchers were Bortles and the Dolphins reaching big time with James.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Rasczak posted:

...but I have 10 fingers

You're thinking small my friend. 11 is the sweet spot.

I mean why even bother if you're not going to get a cock ring out of it.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Stevie in SF has to be because of Sherman.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You're thinking small my friend. 11 is the sweet spot.

I mean why even bother if you're not going to get a cock ring out of it.

Alright now we're on the same page, good talk Puppy Bowl

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Burger Trench posted:

I can't wait. Sherman and Revis both struggle against Johnson.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.

Burger Trench posted:

Well pretty clear Crabtree can't hack it vs. Sherman, so force Seattle to devote the best CB in the game to another receiver. Makes sense.

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't really get Johnson in SF and thought that Carolina and Jacksonville should have gotten in on the bidding for the price that Johnson went for. SF in my mind still needs to draft a receiver because Boldin and Crabtree are not going to be there for much longer.

Stevie is too much of a character for the post Steve Smith panthers

waah fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 9, 2014

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I doubt the Johnson acquisition has anything to do with Sherman and more to do with Crabtree being a free agent after this year and Boldin being a release candidate in 2015 as well.

That would probably be re-enforced if they do take a WR tonight.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

I kind of don't even see the point of taking a QB high, like even a theoretically good non-Savage one, at this point because Campbell got a significant amount of money and carrying 3 QBs seems poor, seems like it makes the most sense to take a QB late if anything that can be snuck onto the p-squad rather than a high profile guy.
Because Campbell is on a one year contract and Mike Brown is not completely sold on Dalton. Keeping 3 QBs will be lame but instead of keeping 7 WRs they'll keep 6. That seems like a fair exchange (RIP Baby Hawk).

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I doubt the Johnson acquisition has anything to do with Sherman and more to do with Crabtree being a free agent after this year and Boldin being a release candidate in 2015 as well.

I wouldn't doubt it factored in. No shortage of reasons, including Stevie wanting to move back to the bay area.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Doltos posted:

Yeah then I don't know at all. Warmack/Levitre should hold the inside, Schwenke was a third rounder iirc, and then Roos/Oher on the bookends. I guess the pick was a BPA pick after how good Lewan's draft process was.

BPA, when the team has several needs it has to fill.

Cool.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

If any of you want to have fun with an idiot, email booth@kfan.com . I'm at work and Dan Barreiro just spent the first segment of his show saying that because he is regarded as really nice, graduated college early, has a questionable deep ball, and is the most game ready QB of this class, all like Christian Ponder, Teddy Bridgewater is Christian Ponder and the Vikings have failed.

:( Bump, you're usually more pragmatic than this with football.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Don't forget the draft starts at 7 tonight rather than 8.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
:lol: The Raiders never worked out or had Khalil Mack visit. Reggie said he never shows his cards at the presser. They worked the poo poo out of Carr and Savage. :)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Executive VP/GM Rick Smith said the Texans have not had any conversations with the New England Patriots about quarterback Ryan Mallett.
— Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) May 9, 2014

Rick Smith on Ryan Mallet rumors: We have not been in any conversations with the NE Patriots. #Texans
— Deepi Sidhu (@DeepSlant) May 9, 2014

Rick Smith says the #Texans have not had any conversations with the New England Patriots about trading Ryan Mallett.
— Tania Ganguli (@taniaganguli) May 9, 2014

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Awesome.

quote:

What was Easley like to cover? What’s his personality like? Was he a team captain or well-liked by his teammates? Do you have a favorite story?

Dominique Easley cannot be explained. The closest comparison I can think of personality-wise is Tracy Jordan from 30 Rock. New England is an interesting spot for him to land because that seems like the team most likely to shut down some of his antics.

After a big win at Florida State, he emerged from the locker room with a giant barrel of animal crackers under his arm and spoke of the afterlife. He carried around a Chucky doll at all times and treated it like an actual child. He made some vaguely sexual references about what he did to LSU’s offensive line two years ago. He constantly dances in between plays. He will start a fight with anybody on any opposing team at any time. He yelled something that cannot be printed here at the Tennessee band. I don’t know how he found it, but when he was a sophomore, before he had really accomplished anything, he came charging out of the tunnel with a tractor chain hanging from his neck.

He claims to not actually be interested in football and does not watch it on TV, preferring instead to go with SpongeBob. He was asked once how it is possible that he does not enjoy the sport he plays. He said, “I just don’t really care about it. I just don’t care about it. I enjoy beating up people.”

Florida actually sent him to last year’s SEC Media Days, which were in Alabama, and he was asked a question about the legacy of Bear Bryant. Easley responded by asking if that was some kind of cartoon character.

Most of that gets filed under goofiness. Volatile, but in a fun way – if that’s possible. Easley was a media favorite and seemed to be well-liked by the majority of his coaches and teammates. And no one ever questioned his toughness or work ethic.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/05/09/reporter-take-dominique-easley/4PMFPba5DdV4PtJ9nRsSHJ/story.html

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

quote:

He claims to not actually be interested in football and does not watch it on TV, preferring instead to go with SpongeBob. He was asked once how it is possible that he does not enjoy the sport he plays. He said, “I just don’t really care about it. I just don’t care about it. I enjoy beating up people.”

He can be buddies with Wilfork

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

College coaches FSU - Jimbo Fisher, Ohio State - Urban Meyer, Stanford - David Shaw are doing analysis on NFL network right now. They'll be doing more this weekend

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

:3:

• Locked thread