Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I don;t think many people understand how to trigger it. I think you need to place a red soapstone sign near the door to the knight and you'll get summoned into the fight that way.

I've been summoned to the Mirror Knight fight from the bonfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Kaldaris posted:

This was my experience, this being my first Souls game and all. My friend was breezing through content (Hexxer) and I was struggling to learn boss patterns. (Swordsman, STR/DEX focus)

Then I made my own Cleric and saw how utterly broken magic was. :raise:

On that note, I am so so bad at Dark Souls PvP, can anyone type some general words of advice for a mans that's lightly armored and rolling about with Katanas/Falchions/Daggers?

I don't know about bigger weapons--I'm a caestus man myself--but for things like daggers, you want to absolutely hinge on stunlock blitzes when you can't get a backstab off. Adaptability is good, Stamina is king. You need to be able to hit them as many times as possible before rolling well out of their danger zone. Bracing knuckle ring is a must because any fast, rapid-fire weapons will eat through durability in a longer jaunt.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
So many arbiters in NG+, this is great.

And every one of them uses a lightning Avelynn.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

THE PWNER posted:

Anyone have controller recommendations that actually detect "left stick hard up" please? :(

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=afterglow+360

I have the blue one of these, and it's never failed me.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
NG+ is so infested with arbiters. If you ever leave your computer for any length of time, you can reasonably expect that one of them will have showed up and killed you with lightning before you get back.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
What weapon is it that's like a huge yellow glowy lightning greatsword?

I assume it's the miracle weapon buff, but I'm only 130k SM and I've seen at least 4 people with it in Belfry luna, so it can't be that right?

quote:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=afterglow+360

I have the blue one of these, and it's never failed me.

Thanks! I'll pick up one of those to replace my old rear end logitech controller thing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

THE PWNER posted:

Anyone have controller recommendations that actually detect "left stick hard up" please? :(

By "hard up" do you mean the jump attack?

If you can walk forward your controller should be working fine, and its just a matter of getting the timing down. The timing is admittedly very wonky.

If you're talking about something else please disregard :downs:

And just get a 360 controller already. They're available everywhere, including used, they're wired or wireless, and every game's UI is already designed for that controller so you're shooting yourself in the foot using anything else. It works natively with every game without so much as having to configure controls, it is the 'de facto'.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Zaphod42 posted:

By "hard up" do you mean the jump attack?

If you can walk forward your controller should be working fine, and its just a matter of getting the timing down. The timing is admittedly very wonky.

If you're talking about something else please disregard :downs:

And just get a 360 controller already. They're available everywhere, including used, they're wired or wireless, and every game's UI is already designed for that controller so you're shooting yourself in the foot using anything else. It works natively with every game without so much as having to configure controls, it is the 'de facto'.

It's definitely the controller. My controller has a "mode" button that swaps the input of the left stick and the dpad, and when I tested with that turned on, I was hitting jump/guard break 100%.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Ruggington posted:

Demon's souls had an easily restore-able mp bar, a much more powerful Iron Flesh, and a spell that literally prevented death. Magic has never been a strong point of balance in these games.

Doesn't mean they couldn't try harder. I mean, magic was horribly broken in Demon's Souls. It was still horribly broken in Dark Souls but there some signs of improvement, as you could no longer easily have infinite spell casts. Then they added items in Dark Souls 2 to replenish spell casts and its back to being completely broken again.

IMO pyromancy is the closest magic has come to being balanced in these games. Most pyromancy spells have rather limited range so you are still exposed to enemy attacks, but are strong enough to make them worth using. I can't see powerful, long range projectile spells ever being balanced. The game is designed with a melee focus in mind, and being able to negate the attacks of almost every enemy by killing them from across the room throws balance out the window. As long as you can do that, magic would never be balanced. They could give bosses a bunch of long range attacks to punish spell casters but then sorcery would still trivialize everything else.

If you ask me, they should just scrap magic entirely if they aren't going to redesign it. Long range spells just don't work with the Souls gameplay.

VVV These games are supposed to be hard. Having an entire magic system that turns it into easy mode kind of defeats the point of that.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 9, 2014

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I don't think From is striving for balanced gameplay mechanics, tbh.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

I assume it's the miracle weapon buff, but I'm only 130k SM and I've seen at least 4 people with it in Belfry luna, so it can't be that right?

Yeah that's the Sunlight Blade effect. Could be the Defender's Greatsword (its special effect is a shorter lasting Sunlight Blade effect if you hit L2 while twohanding it) but you get that for beating the penultimate boss so I highly doubt it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hey, I have a weird bug. None of the effects seem to work in my game. I can't see bloodstains, messages, torches etc. anyone have this problem before and know a fix that isn't reinstalling the game?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Lord Lambeth posted:

Hey, I have a weird bug. None of the effects seem to work in my game. I can't see bloodstains, messages, torches etc. anyone have this problem before and know a fix that isn't reinstalling the game?

Verify the integrity of the cache?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah that's the Sunlight Blade effect. Could be the Defender's Greatsword (its special effect is a shorter lasting Sunlight Blade effect if you hit L2 while twohanding it) but you get that for beating the penultimate boss so I highly doubt it.

Apparently it's from Shrine of Amana/After Velstadt. I'm guessing matchmaking just screwed up and put me up against higher SM people? Or is there an alternate way into Amana I don't know about?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Tracula posted:

Verify the integrity of the cache?

Did that and nothing changed.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

What's a good strength based but fast swinging sword to go for?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

THE PWNER posted:

Apparently it's from Shrine of Amana/After Velstadt. I'm guessing matchmaking just screwed up and put me up against higher SM people? Or is there an alternate way into Amana I don't know about?

Nope, but you could theoretically just sprint to the four great souls and Velstadt to buy the spell at low SM I guess. You have to have all four or a SM of over one million to open the Shrine of Winter on your first run. The only other alternative being some kind of crazy trade chain to get the Defender's Greatsword on a low level character and uh, I kinda doubt that one.

fake edit: well, to get that effect legit anyway. People could just be cheating.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Azuth0667 posted:

I think it's just a unique summon when someone summons you. It looks like you're coming through a dark gate or something.

I've never seen that before. Got a pic or vid of it? If it exists, I am gonna rejoin the covenant just for the fashion gate.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Internet Kraken posted:

Doesn't mean they couldn't try harder. I mean, magic was horribly broken in Demon's Souls. It was still horribly broken in Dark Souls but there some signs of improvement, as you could no longer easily have infinite spell casts. Then they added items in Dark Souls 2 to replenish spell casts and its back to being completely broken again.

IMO pyromancy is the closest magic has come to being balanced in these games. Most pyromancy spells have rather limited range so you are still exposed to enemy attacks, but are strong enough to make them worth using. I can't see powerful, long range projectile spells ever being balanced. The game is designed with a melee focus in mind, and being able to negate the attacks of almost every enemy by killing them from across the room throws balance out the window. As long as you can do that, magic would never be balanced. They could give bosses a bunch of long range attacks to punish spell casters but then sorcery would still trivialize everything else.

If you ask me, they should just scrap magic entirely if they aren't going to redesign it. Long range spells just don't work with the Souls gameplay.

VVV These games are supposed to be hard. Having an entire magic system that turns it into easy mode kind of defeats the point of that.

Who says Souls games are supposed to be hard? As you yourself point out, there's an almost effortlessly accessible mechanic which is basically unchanged through all three games in its ability to gently caress up almost every single enemy without exposing yourself to threat. Seems to me like these games are supposed to be breakable to whatever extent the player is willing to break them.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Internet Kraken posted:

I could use some character advice from the local muscle wizards.

This is my dual fist sunbro. I just fought Mirror Knight and he took like 10 minutes to kill. Not because I'm bad at the fight, just because I don't do enough damage. I was hitting him for like 50 damage per punch which is pathetic. I have a +10 lightning fist and a +10 dark fist so upgrades aren't the problem. Now duo fists sucking shouldn't be a surprise but I've heard people here talk like its legitimately good for damage which I'm just not seeing at all. What kind of build do I need to go to get better damage? Should I respec into more strength? I'm willing to do so as I don't care much about having high faith; I only went into faith for the cleric spells. The only offensive one I use is lightning spear and I don't plan on using the other ones just because I don't like faith offensively.

well your vit and dex suck. Caestus get awesome scaling damage due to the dual A/A scaling in Dex/str. IDK if that would fix all your problems, but it might help.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Olewithmilk posted:

What's a good strength based but fast swinging sword to go for?

A +10 mace.

Judas Priest
Jul 25, 2003
Breaking the law, breaking the law
Hey, speaking of which, how good is the mace in pvp?

This is gonna sound crazy, but I've got the defender greatsword and I prefer the aesthetics and the weight of the mace.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

skasion posted:

Who says Souls games are supposed to be hard? As you yourself point out, there's an almost effortlessly accessible mechanic which is basically unchanged through all three games in its ability to gently caress up almost every single enemy without exposing yourself to threat. Seems to me like these games are supposed to be breakable to whatever extent the player is willing to break them.

The Souls franchise is kind of like a modern Baldur's Gate. It's supposed to difficult and is very challenging for new players. But a veteran who knows the system can break it in hilarious ways and trivialize everything.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!

THE PWNER posted:

Thanks! I'll pick up one of those to replace my old rear end logitech controller thing.

Keep in mind that with those 360 controllers (Afterglow) you have to manually download and install the drivers, followed by going to the device manager and selecting the 360 driver to be used by the controller.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

How are so many people in the Dragon covenant at 1m SM? And I was seeing signs even below that. I am sprinting myself to get there but still have a ways to go, just got to Amana.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

superh posted:

It's probably the most embarrassing thing to do in DS2 but Covetous does have a OHKO or two... :negative:

Not quite a OHKO but he flopped over to try and kill the host, so I run up thinking he'd be vuln-SPLAT. Rolled back onto me. :saddowns:

Dogfood
Feb 15, 2004

Part of every balanced meal.

Judas Priest posted:

Hey, speaking of which, how good is the mace in pvp?

This is gonna sound crazy, but I've got the defender greatsword and I prefer the aesthetics and the weight of the mace.

I've been Blue Sentinels for awhile and have really enjoyed beating people to death with the mace.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only thing you're required to kill are the bosses. If you go out of your way to keep your SM low you can manage it pretty effectively.

skasion posted:

Well the motto of the last game was "Prepare to Die" so handing the player a class that trivializes the entire game seems to go against that. They've removed other things that were incredibly overpowered, such as Power Within. I don't get why they remove some broken things but not others, but trying to figure out From's design process seems futile.

Speaking of which, I don't know why I keep trying to make Mirror Knight work because it just does not. Haven't been summoned once for it, not getting invaded either. Still get people loving it up intentionally though. I realized however that I can just run up the elevator to black crystal out safely and deny them their souls. Do you get sin for killing people when summoned via a red soapstone? I'm worried they might accidentally run into the elevator and die as a result.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The Souls games are a lesson that wizards are #1 forever eat a dick idiots who use a sword woooo!!

Also you can get Sunlight Blade from Straid, who is right there in the same map as Bellfry Luna.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Captain Oblivious posted:

Soul Memory has serious problems, but Sunbros are pretty much the last people suffering from it, if at all :v:

Sunbroing is easy as it could possibly be.
Yeah, I'd forgotten about sunbros getting expanded range. I still don't like the feeling that if I keep helping people do a boss I'll be forced out of it.

turtlecrunch posted:

For the guy who wants to get rid of his mouse pointer: the latest gedosato version has an option for it in the ini file
I'll probably do that eventually, but I'm holding off on gedosato until its VAC status is clear.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

You do not get sin for red soapstones.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

once you beat the last boss, does it go straight to ng+, or can you choose when to start it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fereydun posted:

The Souls games are a lesson that wizards are #1 forever eat a dick idiots who use a sword woooo!!

Also you can get Sunlight Blade from Straid, who is right there in the same map as Bellfry Luna.

You can't buy it from him until you beat Velstadt.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

THE PWNER posted:

Fought plenty of high SL people when I was around SL 50-70 in bell bros.

Fight plenty of super low SL people now that i'm high SM too.

I think the bellbro (and possibly ratbro) covenants are just super lenient with the pvp ranges, since they are 'off the beaten path' stuff and not really part of the main game world.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can't buy it from him until you beat Velstadt.

Whoops! My bad! It could be Lightning Resin, then, maybe?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

bat duck posted:

once you beat the last boss, does it go straight to ng+, or can you choose when to start it?

You start it via a prompt at the Majula Bonfire.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fereydun posted:

Whoops! My bad! It could be Lightning Resin, then, maybe?

That could be it, I've never used the resins and haven't a clue what they look like when in use.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

poptart_fairy posted:

You start it via a prompt at the Majula Bonfire.

Thanks, time to finish the game then

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Souls games enforce Caster Supremacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Manatee Cannon posted:

That could be it, I've never used the resins and haven't a clue what they look like when in use.

They look the same, but I've found the resins to be completely unreliable compared to their spell versions. 2/3rds of every weapon I've tried it with just can't be enchanted with a resin, but can be with a spell. IDGI.