Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I fuckin' love King Kai, and the VA they got for him works perfectly.

Same guy who voices Goku, even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Except for the part where he vaporizes a ton of people in front of his son and goes EEEEEEVIL and all.

Eh, you can honestly handwave that away via the fact that death in DBZ has no real meaning and the characters are well aware of that. Either you a) get wished back to life or b) go to live in an awesome otherworld. It was still a dick move on Veggies part, but he could easily have been counting on the gang to wish everyone back after the dust settled.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It is kind of odd seeing guys like Piccolo, Vegeta and Android 18 becoming good guys when before they were mass murdering psychopaths. Okay, so Piccolo Jr. wasn't really that bad, Piccolo Sr. was more the crazy murdering type, but Vegeta wiped out entire planets and killed Nappa just because. He single-handedly committed genocide multiple times.

I think it's because they all spent so much time on Namek they just forgot that Vegeta killed all their friends.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Gammatron 64 posted:

It is kind of odd seeing guys like Piccolo, Vegeta and Android 18 becoming good guys when before they were mass murdering psychopaths. Okay, so Piccolo Jr. wasn't really that bad, Piccolo Sr. was more the crazy murdering type, but Vegeta wiped out entire planets and killed Nappa just because. He single-handedly committed genocide multiple times.

I think it's because they all spent so much time on Namek they just forgot that Vegeta killed all their friends.

Vegeta didn't kill a single person from Earth until the Buu Saga, outside of filler and possibly his and Nappa's landing on Earth.

I am not even kidding.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Android 18 didn't kill anyone in the regular timeline. The one who did was obliterated by Future Trunks.

EDIT: Vegeta also didn't really become a good guy until what, the latter half of the Buu arc? Dude was sort of just the guy everyone fought along with but didn't really like all that much.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 8, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Vegeta didn't kill a single person from Earth until the Buu Saga, outside of filler and possibly his and Nappa's landing on Earth.

I am not even kidding.

Oh yeah, I just remembered it was Nappa who killed everybody.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

VanSandman posted:

I am not even kidding.

He murdered an entire village of Namekians pretty fuckin' gleefully.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

ImpAtom posted:

He murdered an entire village of Namekians pretty fuckin' gleefully.

FROM EARTH, I said.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
They all lived on Earth for a bit so they're retroactively Earthlings. :colbert:

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

BlitzBlast posted:

They all lived on Earth for a bit so they're retroactively Earthlings. :colbert:

loving Nameks, coming to my planet, taking my jobs.

But yeah I think most of them put up with Vegeta with grudging tolerance rather than friendship or respect. Given Goku's long absences he was more or less the strongest dude on Earth for a long period, after all.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
It makes sense that they'd put up with Vegeta. Until Gohan's Mystic upgrade and his brief tenure as the only SSj2, Vegeta was consistently the second strongest character next to Goku. But Goku was, more often than not, absent. So it would behoove the rest of the gang to stay on Vegeta's good side since for the most part he could end all of them. And Goku isn't going to fight Vegeta without a good reason (And even then, Goku likely wouldn't kill him).

So long as Vegeta didn't go on murderous rampages it was in the best interests of everybody to deal with his presence throughout most of the series.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Im not going to lie, i love Dr Gero's performance. :allears: It might suffer from a lack of Freiza, but this is still amazing.

"Hum, what a shame. Looks like you just initiated your self destruct sequence. Let me give you a countdown." :magical:

Edit: Hah, and at the end. "Now lets tend to the elderly..... The F*** did he go?!", They really nailed the spirit of Prince "Im trying too hard." Vegita didn't they? :swoon:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 21:36 on May 8, 2014

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Thyrork posted:

Im not going to lie, i love Dr Gero's performance. :allears: It might suffer from a lack of Freiza, but this is still amazing.

"Hum, what a shame. Looks like you just initiated your self destruct sequence. Let me give you a countdown." :magical:

That was beautiful.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Esroc posted:

It makes sense that they'd put up with Vegeta. Until Gohan's Mystic upgrade and his brief tenure as the only SSj2, Vegeta was consistently the second strongest character next to Goku. But Goku was, more often than not, absent. So it would behoove the rest of the gang to stay on Vegeta's good side since for the most part he could end all of them. And Goku isn't going to fight Vegeta without a good reason (And even then, Goku likely wouldn't kill him).

So long as Vegeta didn't go on murderous rampages it was in the best interests of everybody to deal with his presence throughout most of the series.

See, this is why I'm disappointed they didn't do a saga with Teen (Cell Games) Gohan. For once the most powerful fighter was someone who doesn't want to fight, and there could have been some interesting standoff as Gohan's hesitant, Vegeta's off moping, and etc. it would probably just end like Bojack did, though, with nobody being able to function until Goku makes some move.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

WhiffleballDude posted:

Same guy who voices Goku, even.

Wow, didn't realize that. I always love when a guy is talking to himself in a scene and I'm clueless about it.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Abridged even has a line about Vegeta not being able to kill anyone while on Earth.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Oh my god, 18 is exactly what i hoped she would be. :swoon:

Edit: Episode 39 is just incredible. "I'm going to break his arm." "Kinda proving his point their sis." "Shut up Ann." :haw:

18 was always my favourite. In a world of people who talk too damned much, she acts all "Hey, hes talking again. Opening!" and squaring her off with Vegita? That was well played. While the abridged version does it better, her fight with Vegita was pretty damned special to me back when.

This one? Well if anything else i have something to watch when i get writers cramp.

Now the question is, should i contain myself or does no one mind me sharing this kind of thing? :allears:

Sonata Mused posted:

Abridged even has a line about Vegeta not being able to kill anyone while on Earth.

He seems to be doing a good job of blowing up innocent drivers!

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 8, 2014

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Gammatron 64 posted:

Maybe it's just the DBZ effecting my viewing, but Piccolo Jr. in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai always seemed like he was faking it. There are just parts throughout it that make it seem like he doesn't have the same evil side his father does, although he desperately tries to act like he does. I don't think he commits a single act of cold blooded murder in the manga, although I could be totally wrong about that.

Also, with regards to Vegeta talk. Vegeta is always more chill and less evil when he's been humbled by Goku/Android 18/Cell/whoever. He goes into pompous rear end in a top hat mode whenever he gets a powerup and thinks he's on equal or higher footing as the strongest (Vegeta at SSJ and SSJ form 2), but outside of that he's just your typical anti-hero. See cyborg Freeza, post-Perfect Cell beatdown in the Cell Saga, and naturally when he comes back in the Buu saga.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

crankdatbatman posted:

Maybe it's just the DBZ effecting my viewing, but Piccolo Jr. in the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai always seemed like he was faking it. There are just parts throughout it that make it seem like he doesn't have the same evil side his father does, although he desperately tries to act like he does. I don't think he commits a single act of cold blooded murder in the manga, although I could be totally wrong about that.

That's the impression I got too; he still had all the old grudges of King Piccolo, but otherwise he was a clean slate. Then Goku showed him mercy and it started him down a different path than his "dad".

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I also feel the same way about Piccolo. I bet all he really wanted was to kill Goku, and had he succeeded at the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai, he probably would've just retired to the wilderness.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

crankdatbatman posted:

Also, with regards to Vegeta talk. Vegeta is always more chill and less evil when he's been humbled by Goku/Android 18/Cell/whoever. He goes into pompous rear end in a top hat mode whenever he gets a powerup and thinks he's on equal or higher footing as the strongest (Vegeta at SSJ and SSJ form 2), but outside of that he's just your typical anti-hero. See cyborg Freeza, post-Perfect Cell beatdown in the Cell Saga, and naturally when he comes back in the Buu saga.

Yeah, IIRC, Piccolo Jr. didn't kill anyone in the manga. Granted, he tried to, and would have blown up the audience if they hadn't fled, but he didn't actually kill anyone.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Thyrork posted:

Oh my god, 18 is exactly what i hoped she would be. :swoon:
The voice acting for the two of them just nails it so well, but her in particular. She doesn't sound bitchy or angry, just mildly bemused or impatient to do something more interesting.

"This guy!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

The voice acting for the two of them just nails it so well, but her in particular. She doesn't sound bitchy or angry, just mildly bemused or impatient to do something more interesting.

"This guy!"

"...yep."

*horrible beatdown ensues*

That show's as quotable as the Simpsons, I swear.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Dr Gero is great :)

SERIOUSLY! WHAT THE gently caress IS NAMEK!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b65MLS6_w9Q&t=423s

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Now the question is, should i contain myself or does no one mind me sharing this kind of thing? :allears:

I for one love these "late" reactions, hell, half the time they make me want to go rewatch the bits mentioned!
Speaking of DBZ:A, the newest one is on 92 % done according to their webpage :f5:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

A personal favourite DBZA quote from recent episodes:

Vegeta: Huh...looks like i'm a size 19.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY

Zorak, you failed this year. I don't see a Piccolo Day thread. :colbert:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

ZoninSilver posted:

I for one love these "late" reactions, hell, half the time they make me want to go rewatch the bits mentioned!
Speaking of DBZ:A, the newest one is on 92 % done according to their webpage :f5:

Got around to seeing it upto the current episode. Cant :f5: hard enough! guess ill go back to the start of it now and watch the Saiyan conflict.

I was never that fond of that saga. Cant really figure out why since the formula never changes that drastically.

Oxxidation posted:

"...yep."

*horrible beatdown ensues*

That show's as quotable as the Simpsons, I swear.

"How quickly bravado goes out of the window when your flat on your rear end." :allears:

Uh, so.. this is a thing? Never got to watch all of Dragon Ball if that's what its from.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Thyrork posted:

Uh, so.. this is a thing? Never got to watch all of Dragon Ball if that's what its from.

It is, except the English dub had a different date for Piccolo Day or something? Can't remember what they did in the German dub but who cares about that in an English forum anyway.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
In America we celebrate King Piccolo Day on May 13th.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ZoninSilver posted:

They've been wrong before, but their latest news update said the new episode should be up this weekend.

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~
Happy Piccolo Day!

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
TOO SOON

Zackcat
Nov 28, 2009

Let me tell you about Silent Hill Visual Novels~

Pierson posted:

TOO SOON

Never Forget :911:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Have you had your daily dose in honor of Piccolo?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

I'm so glad Mr. Satan was able to save the world from Piccolo's evil.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Buu arc is the best arc because it is the culmination of Toriyama's greatest troll--having the world literally hail Satan as their savior.

Hail Satan and Hail Piccolo

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
Piccolo was defeated by a mysterious hero.
Who was this hero?
Mr. satan of course! It all make sense!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

visceril posted:

Buu arc is the best arc because it is the culmination of Toriyama's greatest troll--having the world literally hail Satan as their savior.

Hail Satan and Hail Piccolo

In Bojack Unbound's Funimation dub, they call him Satan instead of Hercule.

The crowd chants his name.

• Locked thread