Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
I got out of work slightly early today and managed to get a bottle of Hommage. Eeee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

You bastard. Oude Doesjel and Arctic Soiree were my consolation prizes.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Non goons are welcome to join in so long as someone is vouching for them. I am a bit hesitant about a team of 1 goon and 7 others though. Filling out a team with non goons is fine but I would like it if teams were mostly forums users. Either way have em fill out the form and just out their name or beer advocate username or something. Once we've got everyone who'd be interested on there it'll be easier to hash out team sizes and whatnot.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
New Glarus Berliner Weiss is in the wild again.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

LeafHouse posted:

Non goons are welcome to join in so long as someone is vouching for them. I am a bit hesitant about a team of 1 goon and 7 others though. Filling out a team with non goons is fine but I would like it if teams were mostly forums users. Either way have em fill out the form and just out their name or beer advocate username or something. Once we've got everyone who'd be interested on there it'll be easier to hash out team sizes and whatnot.

I'm kind of curious how many areas will be able to fill out shippers. I imagine at least 4-5, but that's a bit of a wild guess. There are a few other goons who live in my area (OH) that post in here occasionally, but I've never met any of them in person.

I got to try Habanero Sculpin tonight, and drat was it good. Really great flavor, and nice and spicy without being too over the top. I drank a pint of it, and that was about my limit, as I could tell I would have some wicked heartburn if I drank any more.

Where are all you goons that Hommage is hitting? Still haven't seen any of it in OH... I heard rumors that it's not coming to OH at all, but I want to believe.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat
A store in LA got 6 bottles only a day ago but they seem to have been an outlier since no other stores posted.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Furious Lobster posted:

A store in LA got 6 bottles only a day ago but they seem to have been an outlier since no other stores posted.

Hm. If that's the case, I would guess they didn't even get the bottles through their distributor. I think it's kind of lovely that Hill Farmstead got 80+ cases for their retail shop, but entire states went without...

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
They hit San Diego - or, at least three shops in the county - over the last 2/3 days. Managed to grab a bottle as I just happened to be in the vicinity of a place when they announced it was in stock.

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

A couple cases made it to greater Boston, but that's Shelton Bros for you.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

WTF is Hommage and why should anyone give a poo poo?

In related news, I only want to drink German and Japanese lagers at the moment. Someone please help. :(

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

WTF is Hommage and why should anyone give a poo poo?

In related news, I only want to drink German and Japanese lagers at the moment. Someone please help. :(

Fruited sour from Drie Fonteinen. Only released one other time. It's very good.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

dunno about the latter, but nothing wrong with the former- i have a feeling my top beer of the summer will be Weihenstephaner's lager.

sorry you Portland boys have it so rough, beer-wise.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Fruited sour from Drie Fonteinen. Only released one other time. It's very good.

I'm sure it is. I'm just being cranky about craft beer at the moment. I'll drink another Sapporo or 3 and I'm sure it'll pass. Eventually.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

New CCB bottle labels came out...

Rum Zukhov
Bourbon Zukhov
and.. LEON!

Comparing that to the list they told Catador members we'd see in Round 2...

Catador posted:

here are the bottles you are guaranteed as a member of the second edition of El Catador Club:
Barrel-aged Marshal Zhukov's Imperial Stout
Barrel-aged Caffè Americano Double Stout
A barrel-aged barley wine
Mystery Bottle #1
Mystery Bottle #2

Looks like 'BA barleywine' is Leon.. and at least one of the Zukhov's will be Catador. Sweeeeeeet.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 10, 2014

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
here's an early entry to cellar raid wednesday: I opened a fantome de noel today and I guess I hadn't given it a close look since I grabbed it eons ago, but I'm fairly certain it's an 09. Anyway it was the most crushable 10% beer I've had in ages, tons of apple, cherry, and slight funk. Better than the 2010s I've had which were far maltier.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

LeafHouse posted:

1 of them is Leighton who posts in here sometimes, so it's like 2 goons & 6 non. I'll hold off if you want to see how much participation you get from other areas?

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

So to briefly resume Trinity chat, I had their Three Flowers at the taproom today and it is absolutely delicious. Nice black pepper and coriander on a sweet floral base. They apparently bottle it, so for those who were interested, it's worth picking up.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I have a friend who is making a cross-country road trip from South Florida(Where I live), and is willing to pick up beers for me on the way. She's going to Asheville, Nashville, Talluride Colorado, and then ending up in Montana. I know it's kind of a vague task, but does anyone in those distribution areas have any recommendations?

I suggested she visit Wicked Weeds in Asheville for her own, because it doesn't appear they've bottles or growlers that I can see.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I have a friend who is making a cross-country road trip from South Florida(Where I live), and is willing to pick up beers for me on the way. She's going to Asheville, Nashville, Talluride Colorado, and then ending up in Montana. I know it's kind of a vague task, but does anyone in those distribution areas have any recommendations?

I suggested she visit Wicked Weeds in Asheville for her own, because it doesn't appear they've bottles or growlers that I can see.

Telluride Brewing makes some good but not amazing beer. I particularly like their Bridal Veil Rye Pale Ale. Going through CO so pretty much anything we have he should be able to get.

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Serious question...

I was torn between GBE and LTB... but...

I have an offer for (basically) a Backyard Rye I'm celling for a Baller Stout .

There are some other beers involves... but thats the main trade.

Opinions?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Wicked Weed has released like 5 bottles in the past 2 months, some of which see limited distribution, and they are releasing 2 more bottles at the end of this month. They also do growlers, but no fills of their sours typically.

Snack Bitch
May 15, 2008

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Any San Diego goons at the Lost Abbey event? Wouldn't mind splitting a bottle of something good.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
Yea I was at the beer store earlier and they had 3 different Wicked Weed beers, so they'll definitely have some available at the brewery.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

Catfish Noodlin posted:

Asheville

Have her visit Appalachian Vintner and/or Bruisin' Ales in Asheville.

WW Black Angel and Serenity (GABF Gold) should definitely be out. Olde Hickory's Irish Walker (GABF silver) should be as well, and maybe Event Horizon (it's still on the shelves in Winston at least). OH's Hickory Stick Stout is one of my favorite normal NC stouts. NoDa Hop Drop n Roll hits now and then. French Broad Rye Hopper is excellent. Mother Earth Park Day is a drat good pilsner, and Dark Cloud is a good dunkel. Foothills Jade and their May IPA might be there, both are very good. Asheville Ninja Porter is good, Pisgah Vortex II (RIS) may still be around. Those would be my NC recommendations.

Wicked Weed does growlers of most of their upstairs beers, but not the sours which are downstairs. I think they may not do growler fills on the weekends tho?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I'm always going to have a soft spot for Port City Brewing because it's the first brewery I toured, so I might be biased, but I think that their Maniacal Double IPA is pretty drat good. It has just the right balance of hops and sweetness. I'm glad that I didn't have to wait long to see their beers in NYC.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Somebody wrapped an actual good UI with analytics around BeerAdvocate.. check it out.

http://www.brewreport.com/search/Cantillon%20Fou%27%20Foune%2C%20Brasserie%20Cantillon

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
Thanks for the advice and information, you guys are the best.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

a worthy uhh posted:

Somebody wrapped an actual good UI with analytics around BeerAdvocate.. check it out.

http://www.brewreport.com/search/Cantillon%20Fou%27%20Foune%2C%20Brasserie%20Cantillon

Just checked Southern Tier's Unearthly and it recommends Flying Dog's Gonzo Imperial Porter, Goose Island's Matilda, and Gulden Draak.

I like the premise and the tags below the beer seem safe to judge a beer at a quick glance, but some of it needs work. I really like the premise though, I hope he can fix some of the hiccups.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

a worthy uhh posted:

I can't believed this hasn't been shut down after, what, 3 days?

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
I decided to reorganize my cellar this morning, and I had an accident. I laid out all of my beer on my table, and was trying to categorize everything, when my cat decided to jump up on the table to inspect what I was doing, despite the table having barely any room left on it. When I yelled at him to get off, he knocked over a bottle of LP Framboie '10, and that bottle took a Fou Foune with it. RIP in peace to two of my most prized beers :(

Kitty isn't getting any treats today!

In beer drinking news, I tried Stone's Sprocket beer last night, and I actually enjoyed it. I had been making fun of the concept of this beer from the second I heard about it, because they label it as a black rye kolsch, and that just makes no sense to me. It is exactly as advertised though, it's a roasty, very rye heavy, light bodied beer. I thought it was pretty awesome, and I think anyone who likes Rye beers, or Stouts/Porters should check it out.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Kudosx posted:

In beer drinking news, I tried Stone's Sprocket beer last night, and I actually enjoyed it. I had been making fun of the concept of this beer from the second I heard about it, because they label it as a black rye kolsch, and that just makes no sense to me. It is exactly as advertised though, it's a roasty, very rye heavy, light bodied beer. I thought it was pretty awesome, and I think anyone who likes Rye beers, or Stouts/Porters should check it out.

It was ok, but calling it a Kolsch is just silly.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

cryme posted:

It was ok, but calling it a Kolsch is just silly.

it was weird and i didn't like it and calling it a Kolsch is just silly.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Has anyone gotten a bottle of Valley of the Hearts Delight that had fruit chunks in it? I have two bottles left, and the bottom half of both of them look super cloudy. I took a bottle to a tasting about a month ago, and the bottom half of the bottle poured like a fruit smoothy.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Anyone in Knoxville, TN? I'm specifically gonna be in Oak Ridge. This state's beer laws seem to be as hosed as Mississippi with how stores are split based on abv % of their products. Anyway would appreciate info on bottle shops/bars with limited releases or interesting taps right now.

Sublimer
Sep 20, 2007
get yo' game up

Went for a nice 2k swim yesterday morning, then had this for breakfast.

Then took a long nap.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Sublimer posted:

Went for a nice 2k swim yesterday morning, then had this for breakfast.

Then took a long nap.

That cbs snifter is still one of my favorite pieces of glassware. You can almost fit a whole 750 in it.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Finishing a 750 of Fulton's War and Peace, a coffee stout I picked up in Minneapolis this weekend. It's very good. Roasty and bitter chocolate. This is a style more and more breweries are doing well and I'm totally okay with that. I wouldn't go out of my way to pay $15 for the bottle again but it was a nice experience.

On the trip I stopped at 4 different WI shops, but no NG Berliner was on the shelves. There's lots of reports that it's out, but I didn't see any in Madison or Beloit. I'll be heading through Kenosha in a few weeks, so hopefully it's still around then.

I stopped at Riley's in Madison on Friday. Nice little shop that's well curated. There was a Toppling Goliath truck outside when I pulled up but they were waiting for some sort of event for MBW to put things on the shelf. They did have BBA'd Numbskull and wine BA'd Grand Cru on the shelf, but as a WI goon mentioned this week, they were $40 a pop. I was tempted by the Grand Cru, but price was too rich. They did have small bottles of Birra Del Borgo's Rubbus Con Lamponi, though, which I've been hunting for a while. I had one a couple years back and loved it: a ton of brett brux and a nice raspberry finish. Unfortunately, every bottle I've seen since has been a larger one (bomber-ish size) for $20+ in Chicago. Great beer but not something I want to drink that much of. So my search for smaller bombers ended in Madison. Also grabbed a bottle of Big Bad Baptist because that's a good loving beer.

My NE Minneapolis shop had a few nice surprises, too. On top of the Fulton, I grabbed a smoked-pepper porter from Indeed (Hot Box) and surprisingly enough, a bottle of Cisco's Pechish Woods. The latter was pricey but I'm your standard beer nerd who will jump at a chance at a peach sour...

No, I didn't win the Upland lottery this time. Again. That's like 0-7 or something.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I know people give Flying Dog a lot of, sometimes rightfully so, poo poo, but Pearl Necklace is a great oyster stout.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Midorka posted:

I know people give Flying Dog a lot of, sometimes rightfully so, poo poo, but Pearl Necklace [...]

Hm.

Anyway, Galactic Double Daisy Cutter was really tasty. But that might also be because I have a man crush on Galaxy hops, they just smell so god drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
21st Amendment Hell or High Watermelon report: If you enjoy wheat beers at all find this beer. It tastes like a higher end wheat beer, but upon exhale you get a nice sweet natural watermelon experience. It's not overly sweet, very refreshing and easily drinkable. Going to be sad when it goes out of season, going to drink a lot of it before that happens.