Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

DrNutt posted:

So are the giants in Black Gulch supposed to be behind a locked door? I finished the game but wanted to take on the optional endgame bosses so I was looking for giant souls, and dropped down by the second worm thing, and there's just a big locked door I can't get past. I know I've been down there before and saw the giants. What gives?

Fall down one more level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Was looking at some of the spells I was missing out on as a meathead, and man the intelligence/faith requirements get steep. I assume most sane people salt Soul Geyser until it's something less than the massive 64 intelligence vanilla requirement?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cowcaster posted:

Was looking at some of the spells I was missing out on as a meathead, and man the intelligence/faith requirements get steep. I assume most sane people salt Soul Geyser until it's something less than the massive 64 intelligence vanilla requirement?

That or basically get spices that lower the requirement. I forgot which enemies drop it but at least you can farm them. I recall the Grave of Saints that the undeads in there drop spices.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've only seen one person ever use that spell and that was while fighting Velstadt, and never seen anybody use the 65 faith requirement miracle. They don't seem like they're worth the investment.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've only seen one person ever use that spell and that was while fighting Velstadt, and never seen anybody use the 65 faith requirement miracle. They don't seem like they're worth the investment.
They're really not. I'm not sure why everybody thinks that Soul Geyser is awesome, but it doesn't seem to do all that much damage when I use it. GRS is oodles more efficient on a per-cast basis.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

They're really not. I'm not sure why everybody thinks that Soul Geyser is awesome, but it doesn't seem to do all that much damage when I use it. GRS is oodles more efficient on a per-cast basis.

I hear tell they nerfed it quite a bit with the PC release patch. Also comparing it to great resonant soul seems unfair.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, true. It isn't that much better than individual casts of Soul Spear or Crystal Soul Spear either, though.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Stokes posted:

We now know the specifics to the World's Worst Game Mechanic.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/693332-dark-souls-ii/69198395

code:
Tier   Soul Memory
    1  0 - 9,999
    2  10,000 - 19,999
    3  20,000 - 29,999
    4  30,000 - 39,999
    5  40,000 - 49,999
    6  50,000 - 69,999
    7  70,000 - 89,999
    8  90,000 - 109,999
    9  110,000 - 129,999
    10 130,000 - 149,999
    11 150,000 - 179,999
    12 180,000 - 209,999
    13 210,000 - 239,999
    14 240,000 - 269,999
    15 270,000 - 299,999
    16 300,000 - 349,999
    17 350,000 - 399,999
    18 400,000 - 449,999
    19 450,000 - 499,999
    20 500,000 - 599,999
    21 600,000 - 699,999
    22 700,000 - 799,999
    23 800,000 - 899,999
    24 900,000 - 999,999
    25 1,000,000 - 1,099,999
    26 1,100,000 - 1,199,999
    27 1,200,000 - 1,299,999
    28 1,300,000 - 1,399,999
    29 1,400,000 - 1,499,999
    30 1,500,000 - 1,749,999
    31 1,750,000 - 1,999,999
    32 2,000,000 - 2,249,999
    33 2,250,000 - 2,499,999
    34 2,500,000 - 2,749,999
    35 2,750,000 - 2,999,999
    36 3,000,000 - 4,999,999
    37 5,000,000 - 6,999,999
    38 7,000,000 - 8,999,999
    39 9,000,000 - 11,999,999
    40 12,000,000 - 14,999,999
    41 15,000,000 - 999,999,999
It's stunning how terrible this is. 41 Tiers? Really?

What the gently caress. This can't be right. It would be impossible to do coop/dueling if it was this strict.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bobnumerotres posted:

What the gently caress. This can't be right. It would be impossible to do coop/dueling if it was this strict.

It explains a lot about why bellbroing took a poo poo and died for me.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Bobnumerotres posted:

Did you actually read how it works? You're not locked to people only on your own tier. Depending on what you're doing your range extends a certain number of tiers above and below you.

That said holy hell is 41 tiers overdoing it.

Back on Great Resonant Soul, I don't plan on abusing it now, but I will eventually. When that time comes are 30int/30faith the preferred stats?

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 10, 2014

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah this actually makes sense because every time the bell covenent would take a weird gap in activity it'd be right after I breached one of those new "tiers".

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bobnumerotres posted:

RBA Starblade posted:

Sometimes people have to be told the completely obvious. Thanks Cowcaster.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Cowcaster: Did you recently get summoned as a shade in the peasant portion of tseldora and fall off a cliff? If not, then I summoned someone with the same name as you.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Getting to 30 Sun Medals is getting very frustrating now, Soul Memory 848k and getting almost no bites at the Covetous Demon anymore. :(

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

VisAbsoluta posted:

Getting to 30 Sun Medals is getting very frustrating now, Soul Memory 848k and getting almost no bites at the Covetous Demon anymore. :(

So go to a different boss. What's the problem?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Appoda posted:

Cowcaster: Did you recently get summoned as a shade in the peasant portion of tseldora and fall off a cliff? If not, then I summoned someone with the same name as you.

Hahaha, where the boulders are? Yeah, that happened to me earlier today. The bunch of angry peasants just crowded me right off the cliff before I realized what was happening. And me, complaining about people falling off cliffs in this very thread too.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Back on Great Resonant Soul, I don't plan on abusing it now, but I will eventually. When that time comes are 30int/30faith the preferred stats?
What you really want is the Abyss Ring. It's a free 20% extra damage on top of whatever scaling, catalyst and infusion give you.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Chomp8645 posted:

So go to a different boss. What's the problem?

Problem is the other ones I'm getting summoned result in the host dying constantly, like the Old Iron King, Smelter Demon or the Najka. I don't mind this when I'm cooping and chilling, but since I'm farming it's a bit dull.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

VisAbsoluta posted:

lol, try any of the other bosses? Iron keep will get you tons of hits, any of the 4 lord souls areas will.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

VisAbsoluta posted:

Problem is the other ones I'm getting summoned result in the host dying constantly, like the Old Iron King, Smelter Demon or the Najka. I don't mind this when I'm cooping and chilling, but since I'm farming it's a bit dull.

It's still on you for choosing such an early boss. Move on to a different area.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Chomp8645 posted:

Sometimes people have to be told the completely obvious. Thanks Cowcaster.

It ceased finding nearly anybody after 1 mil, regardless of what tiers it looked for besides it smartass. At 2 million it didn't find anyone in ten hours. Lower levels it found it pretty easily. They should've stuck to soul level.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 10, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

What you really want is the Abyss Ring. It's a free 20% extra damage on top of whatever scaling, catalyst and infusion give you.

Come to think of it, does a bellowing dragoncrest ring or equivalent even exist in this game? Dark bead, oolacile ivory catalyst, and a bellowing dragoncrest ring carried my melee guy through Lost Izalith in Dark Souls 1.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
It might not be the best but if you want to play magic without feeling like it's overpowered, don't upgrade your catalysts or use the soul-consuming hexes like I did for about half of the game. I sure as hell wasn't doing breathtaking damage then. :v:

I still can't bring myself to actually use the ones that eat up souls, though. I basically Dark Orbed my way through the entire game once I learned it, since it was my favorite spell in Dark Souls 1.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So I discovered the chariot. The host keeps dying within a few seconds everytime so I haven't really gotten to fight him yet. In other news the Skeleton Lords is really easy as long as you kill all the adds before killing the next lord. Beat it on my first try and barely lost any health. Total pushover.

Lastly, I love how the armor merchant in majula turns from :negative: "PLEASE for the LOVE of GOD buy my wares" and pretty much begging you to buy something turns into a :smug: "You better by something before it sells out" douche who is leaning back in his chair making you feel like a pauper. Pretty funny.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cyberventurer posted:

It might not be the best but if you want to play magic without feeling like it's overpowered, don't upgrade your catalysts or use the soul-consuming hexes like I did for about half of the game. I sure as hell wasn't doing breathtaking damage then. :v:

I still can't bring myself to actually use the ones that eat up souls, though. I basically Dark Orbed my way through the entire game once I learned it, since it was my favorite spell in Dark Souls 1.

Sunlight Spear can kill some bosses in two hits even in ng+. It's not just hexes that are powerful.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Come to think of it, does a bellowing dragoncrest ring or equivalent even exist in this game? Dark bead, oolacile ivory catalyst, and a bellowing dragoncrest ring carried my melee guy through Lost Izalith in Dark Souls 1.
Not a general item like the ring and the Dusk Crown, no. Magic in general scales way, way better in DS2 than it did in DS1, though, so it's not nearly as necessary.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

Hahaha, where the boulders are? Yeah, that happened to me earlier today. The bunch of angry peasants just crowded me right off the cliff before I realized what was happening. And me, complaining about people falling off cliffs in this very thread too.

Haha, that's funny. I was screwing around too, trying to kill peasants with HEAVENLY THUNDER! :science:

After you died, I promptly ran away. :witch:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Does lingering dragon crest ring interact with miracles at all? Such as making healing spells last a bit longer and thus restore more HP?

VisAbsoluta posted:

Wouldn't help with OIK, but you could try wearing the Red Eye Ring against other bosses to make them go after you.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

RBA Starblade posted:

It ceased finding nearly anybody after 1 mil, regardless of what tiers it looked for besides it smartass. At 2 million it didn't find anyone in ten hours. Lower levels it found it pretty easily. They should've stuck to soul level.

Well you have to ask, does anyone with 1m SM need to kill the drat gargoyles? SL wouldn't fix jack since a dude with a high SL probably wouldn't linger in belfry.

Just spend 2-3 hours rushing a character to belfry if you need to that fix.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Drakes posted:

Well you have to ask, does anyone with 1m SM need to kill the drat gargoyles?

Compare to Dark Souls' forest covenant, where I don't think I ever failed to get in a fight within a few minutes, at nearly any soul level. I actually ended up going to Belfry Luna more than Sol by the end too, oddly enough. I got the hint that the game doesn't want anyone in those covenants to do them for long and switched to using red soapstone signs for pvp while just throwing the ring on every now and then, but it's still pretty lame.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drakes posted:

Well you have to ask, does anyone with 1m SM need to kill the drat gargoyles? SL wouldn't fix jack since a dude with a high SL probably wouldn't linger in belfry.

Just spend 2-3 hours rushing a character to belfry if you need to that fix.

Yeah this is absolutely true. People who go through Luna aren't doing it to be invaded by bell cops, they're doing it to kill the boss and get the Bastille key. At one million SM you should move on to Sol, but you still won't find as many people there because there just aren't as many people looking to fight two people at once because that's lame as poo poo for the invadee.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

That would be because a lot of people would explicitly sit in the forest while human for the sole reason of getting invaded. I don't think anybody is doing that in the Belfries with how stacked those areas are.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Man, the foggy portion of Shaded Woods is probably my favourite area of any Souls game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah this is absolutely true. People who go through Luna aren't doing it to be invaded by bell cops, they're doing it to kill the boss and get the Bastille key. At one million SM you should move on to Sol, but you still won't find as many people there because there just aren't as many people looking to fight two people at once because that's lame as poo poo for the invadee.

It doesn't matter where you stand, you go to either Luna or Sol. You don't have a choice in the matter.

quote:

I don't think anybody is doing that in the Belfries with how stacked those areas are.

That probably has a lot to do with it too. The sentinels being totally underwhelming in NG is pretty bad as well.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

It doesn't matter where you stand, you go to either Luna or Sol. You don't have a choice in the matter.

It's stacked in the favor of the area you're currently in. More people will go to Luna in general because there's stuff to do there so obviously you're still gonna get hits there but the fact of the matter is that 99% of them just want you to go away so they can fight the boss. The PvP covenants are poorly implemented, yes, but not because of soul memory.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

VisAbsoluta posted:

Just play a bit to get 1mil soul memory then hang out at the second dragonrider fight at Drangleic Castle. It's piss easy and you'll get hits at up to 1.5mil.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tabletops posted:

are you in a covenant, by chance? maybe, a covenant of champions?

Nope!! It times out, it isnt outright disabled. Also whenever I place my own signs or try to use the orbs.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Manatee Cannon posted:

Really? I don't know what your doing, but 99% of my belfry invasions are people who have cleared out the level and are just waiting for people to come PvP.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I can Fashion Souls too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Tabletops posted:

Really? I don't know what your doing, but 99% of my belfry invasions are people who have cleared out the level and are just waiting for people to come PvP.

You must have the worst luck, I see that incredibly rarely. The feller generally being some min/maxxer whos just sitting around to tear through the scrubs.

Getting invaded in the DS1 forest was much less irritating than the belfry. The matchmaking was shoddy so it usually didn't dump two phantoms on you asap, the place was much larger allowing more room to run and scatter to, and I don't recall the NPCs hitting like a truck. The belfry midgets can probably 2-3 shot most early characters.