Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Edit: Better source

Aaaagghh I hate JRjr's art so drat much. How have his pencils not evolved even the tiniest bit over the last twenty years? Gah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Edge & Christian posted:

But really, the lesson in all of this is that Batman needs to learn to be more trusting.

The love you make is equal to the love you take, dude.

(Didn't his parents also get exhumed in front of him at some point during this?)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Goon posted:

Aaaagghh I hate JRjr's art so drat much. How have his pencils not evolved even the tiniest bit over the last twenty years? Gah.

I don't think he needs to evolve, just get put on suitable projects. I thought the opening arc of the new Captain America series looked awesome cause it was all apocalyptic landscapes and mud monsters.

JR's gonna jr.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The New52 needs a reboot. That's not even a sarcastic comment, this is such a mess and it isn't like going back to #1 issues again is going to hurt anything considering they're doing gimmick month every month now. DC couldn't even be hosed enough to go through Wikipedia for each character and decide which major events happened for each character.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 9, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's the explicit death and rebirth mention in Action Comics #16.

No description of the threat. Obviously there's the heaviest of allusions. The 5th dimensional imp behind everything bad pulls a 'Super-Doomsay' out of the multiverse, but it's all wide-open vague and metatextual (e: You have to even wonder what he's talking about with 'A.D. Yesterday: 1st Age of Superhumanity'.) When Clark beats the mask off the Super-Doomsday and there's a Doomsday/Superman face behind it, he doesn't seem to have any tinge of recognition.
Actually, just thinking about it now, In Pak's Doomsday villain month issue there's a Kryptonian fable about the ultimate Krypton Warrior eternally facing the ultimate threat or something like that. With Doomsday infecting Clark in the upcoming storyline, making a Super-Doomsday for our world, it seems they're trying to support Morrison's story.

Soule's comments actually don't say whatever happened never happened, if this is the interview.
http://www.newsarama.com/20267-did-death-of-superman-happen-in-the-new-52-soule-on-that-question-new-doomsday-event.html

Not to say there haven't been contradictory statements about it outside of the comics. Morrison left them with a weird wavy idea of it. There was a Lobdell/Pak/Soule interview where Lobdell was going off on how they've (e: Soups n Dooms) met before many times and how it's not something Superman or anyone wants to talk about, and there was a palpable sense that the other two were going 'Uhhhh..."

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:07 on May 9, 2014

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Not to say there haven't been contradictory statements about it outside of the comics. Morrison left them with a weird wavy idea of it. There was a Lobdell/Pak/Soule interview where Lobdell was going off on how they've met before many times and how it's not something Superman or anyone wants to talk about, and there was a palpable sense that the other two were going 'Uhhhh..."
Lobdell can't even get the continuity right within three issues of his own loving book do not listen to a word this man says.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Flameingblack posted:

The New52 needs a reboot. That's not even a sarcastic comment, this is such a mess and it isn't like going back to #1 issues again is going to hurt anything considering they're doing gimmick month every month now. DC couldn't even be hosed enough to go through Wikipedia for each character and decide which major events happened for each character.

I would be fine with them pulling the hugest, douchiest cop out ever and saying all of the New 52 is Ultimate DC. I've become that which I hate, a dude who cares about the "real" version of Batman.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

All the New 52 needs is new management.

Just take the Marvel Now approach and stop hiring idiots like Lobdell and get rid of your overbearing editors.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

HitTheTargets posted:

I would be fine with them pulling the hugest, douchiest cop out ever and saying all of the New 52 is Ultimate DC. I've become that which I hate, a dude who cares about the "real" version of Batman.

Except they started in Ultimatum and never stopped.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

WickedHate posted:

Except they started in Ultimatum and never stopped.
And they cancelled their Ultimate Spider-Man after 12 issues.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Urdnot Fire posted:

And they cancelled their Ultimate Spider-Man after 12 issues.

Voodoo?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Just take the Marvel Now approach and stop hiring idiots like Lobdell and get rid of your overbearing editors.

If the whoevers that got Pak, Soule and Parker in last year, that let Lemire take research trips into an impoverished community and make it integral to his superhero team book can rise up in influence over the sorts that are supposedly setting up Mr. & Mrs. Finch's Zenescope Wonder Woman takeover, we might be okay.

And approve Azzarello's Catwoman pitch, whatever it is. Thanks.

e:

Forums Barber posted:

I don't know how anyone can pretend that DC has any loving idea what they're doing at this point.

Actually, that's not fair, "at this point" is inaccurate, it's been that way for years.

Where's that complaints thread?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 10, 2014

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I know this is a week or so late... But drat Red Lanterns... It's so drat good. It really is my favorite book out of DC right now and I'm so excited that Guy Gardner is in a great book again.

Forums Barber
Jan 5, 2011
I don't know how anyone can pretend that DC has any loving idea what they're doing at this point.

Actually, that's not fair, "at this point" is inaccurate, it's been that way for years.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Teenage Fansub posted:

Where's that complaints thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550798 Still alive.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Was Montevideo ever un-destroyed? Is it still gone in the New 52?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mimir posted:

Was Montevideo ever un-destroyed? Is it still gone in the New 52?

I doubt anyone at DC remembers or cares about One Million other than G-Mo.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I doubt anyone at DC remembers or cares about One Million other than G-Mo.

They just did a nice omnibus of it.

e: This year's gimmick month certainly sounds DC One Millionish.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 10, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

They just did a nice omnibus of it.

That was like a year ago man.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Looked it up, remembered this thing, said "Oh yeah".

Remember the time when 4 former American superhumans fled to South America, built their giant green floating city over the ruins of the capitol of an independent nation, which was destroyed by a nuclear-powered superhero suit piloted by an immortal superhuman. They somehow got permission from the Uruguayan government to build a city on top of their old, busted city. Did building a massive floating death-ship over the bombed-out capitol of Uruguay not provoke some serious strains against Argentina and Brazil?

This new city would be shaped for maximum surface area on the bottom, so that if it fell, it would do the greatest possible damage. They built buildings on top of the giant cone thing, which seems really pointless since they're already in a floating ship. They could've just had decks. Then, they invited dissatisfied superheroes from all over the world to join them, and piloted their city around the world solving problems by looming at them. In their very next appearance, in another series, they fell on another city, Kinshasa, while the JLA was gone.

I don't remember that arc, so it probably had something to do with that Gorilla Grodd thing, but still. They flew their city near Kinshasa, (the capitol of the Congo) in a place where it was likely to fall on another city, and then it did. Way to job, dudes. And then in Final Crisis, a throwaway line indicates that Superbia fell out of the sky a third time in response to an attack by Darkseid's forces. It probably fell on Montevideo again.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

God, I loved that era of DC, but never understood anything about any of that poo poo. I liked the JLA arc where the heroes were introduced but lost the thread after that until it all fell apart.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I gotta read that JLA Classified story again. I read it as an intro to Seven Soldiers because it was on some reading list, but I don't think I got it in the slightest and hardly remember anything. There was a cube universe?

I'm going through DC One Million now, so that's a next stop. Then there's a good excuse to read Seven Soldiers again :)

EDIT: The cover to Futures End 14 just popped in front of me while reading something. The solicits being so many weeks ahead I kinda wanna stay clear, but anyhow...
http://imgur.com/JmKfKwe
That's some Earth 2 on the right. I'm going in on an Earth merger having happened in the five year gap.
Suddenly the Earth 2 dudes will pop up in issue #28 going "JSA to the rescue! Yeah, Batman Beyond, we've been here a while! Ever since our planet became New Apokolips and we blew it up, let's say, oh, just over four years ago!" and in time for this and the Earth 2 weekly wrapping up, we get a good ol' Crisis to make it so (e: and an 'Earth 2' cancellation, of course!)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 10, 2014

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Edge & Christian posted:

To be fair, the big storylines for the five years or so leading up to "Irrationally Mistrusting rear end in a top hat Batman" were:

-Evil conspiracy turns Gotham City into a No Man's Land abandoned by the federal government
-Lex Luthor parlays that into being elected president
-Batman is framed for murder and none of crew trust him
-Batman's childhood best friend comes back and tries to kill him and gets Harold his tech guy to betray him
-Also his old childhood friend replaces Alfred with some sort of sleeper agent Clayface assassin
-Jason Todd comes back from the dead to try to kill him
-Spoiler steals his plans and sparks a massive gang war where she and a bunch of other people are maimed and killed
-In the aftermath of this disaster, Leslie Tompkins decides to let Spoiler die to 'prove a point' to Batman, abandons him and runs off
-Also the Gotham Police turn against him
-Also Oracle turns her back to him
-Also Dick Grayson decides to go deep cover as a supervillain and refuses to let Batman know what he's doing
-Also it turns out the Justice League brainwashed him (and his sometimes girlfriend Catwoman, who also betrayed him to his old childhood friend)
-Then one of his teammate's wife kills one of his friends and also tricks someone into murdering Tim Drake's dad
-Consequently Tim Drake disowns him and runs off to join some weird black ops dude
-Oh yeah also his friend Max Lord shoots Ted Kord in the face and then uses his mind control powers to get Superman to try to murder Batman (for at least the third time in two years where Superman tries to kill Batman while 'under mind control') and also turns out to be some sort of mass-murdering psycho who also steals his satellite
-Also his sidekick's best friend has some sort of killcrazy trigger implanted in him by Lex Luthor and repeatedly tries to kill Robin

But really, the lesson in all of this is that Batman needs to learn to be more trusting.

I feel this list should be copy & pasted every time someone brings up bat-jerk in a thread. And the list should be updated for every major event on how batman is dicked over.

I think the whole Talia drugging him, then making Damian/Damian-clone also would seriously gently caress with his trust factor.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Teenage Fansub posted:

I gotta read that JLA Classified story again. I read it as an intro to Seven Soldiers because it was on some reading list, but I don't think I got it in the slightest and hardly remember anything. There was a cube universe?)

Yeah, the infant universe of Qwewq (first appeared in g.mo JLA and again in All Star Superman!) was the larval stage of Neh-Buh-Loh/Nebula Man who briefly used The Master/Pulse 8 to take on human shape. The Sheeda tried to eliminate the JLA because they were looking for "seven soldiers." (The wrong seven, obviously.)

Especially worth it to see the first appearance of Cyril and Beryl as Knight and Squire.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

That's actually my favorite thing he does. With the Ultramarines, they had a big introductory story where the fight the JLA and then team up to fight the Shaggy Man/Wade Eiling, before fading into perennial guest star status. But Cyril and Beryl jump straight to guest star status acting like they've been around for years, and it's GREAT.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

I gotta read that JLA Classified story again. I read it as an intro to Seven Soldiers because it was on some reading list, but I don't think I got it in the slightest and hardly remember anything.
Most importantly, we got to see Batman's Sci-Fi Closet™.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

And found out Batman was really mad the Iron Giant liked Superman so much.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Lobdell wrote a good ending for the Titans rushed as all hell but pretty nice, I got a good laugh at Kon becoming the Silver Surfer though :haw:

Also Eternal keeps being really dull and unimpressive.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I got a good laugh at Kon becoming the Silver Surfer though

Please explain this because last time I heard Lobdell killed the kid off and made the bizarre decision to replace him with the evil son of Lois and Clark from the future.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Also Eternal keeps being really dull and unimpressive.

I thought #5 was the best issue yet by far. Great Andy Clarke art and some good Tim Drake stuff, finally (Just assuming there isn't a good moment in all of Lob's Titans.) I liked the Daily Planet stuff, Harper Row n her bro.
Absolutely the best thing I've ever read from Tynion IV.

Apparently his creator owned out last week, The Woods, is good too?

edit: Oh. Duh. Gotham Gazette, not Daily Planet.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:21 on May 12, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

goldenoreos posted:

Please explain this because last time I heard Lobdell killed the kid off and made the bizarre decision to replace him with the evil son of Lois and Clark from the future.

I'm lazy so, see it here:

http://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/4705844.html#cutid1

Teenage Fansub posted:

I thought #5 was the best issue yet by far. Great Andy Clarke art and some good Tim Drake stuff, finally (Just assuming there isn't a good moment in all of Lob's Titans.) I liked the Daily Planet stuff, Harper Row n her bro.
Absolutely the best thing I've ever read from Tynion IV.

Apparently his creator owned out last week, The Woods, is good too?

edit: Oh. Duh. Gotham Gazette, not Daily Planet.

I dunno the whole Nanoflu was dumb and I don't really like Clarke's art, everyone looks really loving creepy.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Waterhaul posted:

Management will burn DC to the ground first, your division failing do to lack of product demand is easier to spin then getting fired. "Comics are a failing relic and I was the only reason DC stayed open as long as it did."

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
The whole "A.L.F.R.E.D." thing in Future's End sure is original.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Is Scott Lobdell having a contest with himself to see what dumb twist he can do next with Superboy?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=52753

Tomasi posted:

Andy Kubert's stuff looks awesome, and it's going to be this whole epic storyline of how Batman gets a new Robin.

gently caress YOU DC, gently caress YOU :livintrope:

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

It's probably still Damian, or Carrie Kelly. Tomasi doesn't strike me as a guy to build something new when there's so many leftover bricks around.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Maybe it'll be Bruce Wayne and Catwoman's Evil Son from the future.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
Would rather have a new character

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What were you expecting out of a thing called ROBIN RISING?
We already knew 'Batman and' is going back to 'Batman and Robin', right?

It is a bit lame of the article to spoil that it isn't going to be Damian (unless a fresh Damiclone counts as 'new'), but that's comic promotions.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

What were you expecting out of a thing called ROBIN RISING?
We already knew 'Batman and' is going back to 'Batman and Robin', right?

Damian's return :colbert:

Normallly I'll cahlk it up to misguiding and Damian really coming back from the dead but at this point DC's editorial is such a mess that I can see the idiots creating a FIFTH Robin (in the N52 at least)

• Locked thread