Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm probably a moron, but where do you select what server to play on?

Edit: never mind I'm found it 10 seconds later... I am a moron.

Also could someone on nexus dominion toss Spoooge an invite all the list memembers are offline

Raged fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Doublestep posted:

Okay, I've seen a few mentions of "shiphands" but I can't find anything about it. Anyone care to enlighten?

The closest I can compare is Chronicles from Rifts. Mini dungeons you can do in a group out solo with good gear and a level out two over the minimum

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Doublestep posted:

Okay, I've seen a few mentions of "shiphands" but I can't find anything about it. Anyone care to enlighten?

Shiphands are instances that scale from 1-5 people. They play like extended quests, giving you a series of objectives to complete somewhere away from the world. As they go up in level, they play with mechanics a lot more, but we use 'em as a way to break up the questing experience a little.

There are six in the shipping game.

This is something I can answer since I actually work on them! :v:

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phrasing posted:

I fought Metalmaw in Deradune with a bunch of pubbies. It took a while for forty level 10's to burn through 1.3 million health but it was fun and by no means a tank and spank. It had some brutal telgraphs that really show promise for future encounters.

I tanked metalmaw and when he was down to 800k I went to take a poop and i came back and i was still tanking him.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Cyster posted:

Shiphands are instances that scale from 1-5 people. They play like extended quests, giving you a series of objectives to complete somewhere away from the world. As they go up in level, they play with mechanics a lot more, but we use 'em as a way to break up the questing experience a little.

There are six in the shipping game.

This is something I can answer since I actually work on them! :v:

Ah, okay, I just saw the article on them from the official website.

Are they repeatable/have different outcomes a la Adventures or are they static?

Cyster
Jul 22, 2007

Things are going to be okay.

Doublestep posted:

Ah, okay, I just saw the article on them from the official website.

Are they repeatable/have different outcomes a la Adventures or are they static?

Some of them are randomized, but not to the extent of Adventures. They're level-up content and don't currently have veteran modes.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Normal Adult Human posted:

I tanked metalmaw and when he was down to 800k I went to take a poop and i came back and i was still tanking him.

Well gently caress me when I fought him he kept running around and flhing into the air killing everyone so I assumed he was gibbing whoever had threat.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I just chased a streaking rabbit-thing through town as it shouted and threw shinies to passersby, which I then collected for Explorer cred.

Yeah okay I'll play this game I guess.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bussamove posted:

I just chased a streaking rabbit-thing through town as it shouted and threw shinies to passersby, which I then collected for Explorer cred.
Hopefully it was an Aurin and you murdered it at the end.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

It was one of those rabbit NPCs-- Lopp, I think they're called? Whatever it was late-90s platformer music was playing and it was magical.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
Do settlers eventually make permanent buildings? I'm less excited about Settler if it's mostly non-permanent stuff, although I just built a shield booster and watched... now five pubbies run by and use it, which is gratifying.

The color scheme, the endless NPC prattle, the questionable UI... this is Star Wars Galaxies 11th Anniversary Edition.

e: oh - what's the point of the broken banners and torches and so on - the "repairable" settler buildings?

straw man fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 10, 2014

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

At around what level do you get the ability to own your own home? If that's a level thing.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Nelson Mandingo posted:

At around what level do you get the ability to own your own home? If that's a level thing.

14. The house costs 1 gold.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

dreffen posted:

14. The house costs 1 gold.

What a weird level, you'd think it'd be 15.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

straw man posted:

Do settlers eventually make permanent buildings? I'm less excited about Settler if it's mostly non-permanent stuff, although I just built a shield booster and watched... now five pubbies run by and use it, which is gratifying.

There was a big multi-phase settler project in one of the early Dominion zones to build a town church. I don't know exactly what the end result would have been because one of the phases was bugged, but I imagine it would have been something more impressive than just those buff booths.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

straw man posted:

The color scheme, the endless NPC prattle, the questionable UI... this is Star Wars Galaxies 11th Anniversary Edition.

e: oh - what's the point of the broken banners and torches and so on - the "repairable" settler buildings?
You get stacking rep increase buffs from each one you repair from what I've seen in the tutorial areas.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

I'm in the "I really want to like this" boat as well. I love the art style and the animations and all the life they've put into the areas. I enjoy the combat too, but...

It really does feel like how SWG did to me. They spent so much time trying to follow a years out-of-date formula and didn't pay attention to any modern MMO systems. I'm pretty sure GW2 ruined me, because having to wait for a quest mob to spawn so you get your turn at killing it is just laughable in 2014.

I notice there's inconsistencies about that though. Some quests I did and I saw other people doing the same thing obviously in their own "instance" of the quest. Then some you get the problem with waiting your turn to kill something.

I think I just don't have the patience anymore for the old style slow levelling slow getting around game. If this was a F2P game I'd definately pick it up and play it for a bit. But for full price and a monthly fee? That poo poo is crazy talk.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Enos Shenk posted:

I think I just don't have the patience anymore for the old style slow levelling slow getting around game. If this was a F2P game I'd definately pick it up and play it for a bit. But for full price and a monthly fee? That poo poo is crazy talk.

Agreed, this looks like it could be fun, but I can't get over the $60+subscription hump after watching the few MMOs I've participated in go F2P six months after I throw down the big bucks.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Enos Shenk posted:

I'm in the "I really want to like this" boat as well. I love the art style and the animations and all the life they've put into the areas. I enjoy the combat too, but...

It really does feel like how SWG did to me. They spent so much time trying to follow a years out-of-date formula and didn't pay attention to any modern MMO systems. I'm pretty sure GW2 ruined me, because having to wait for a quest mob to spawn so you get your turn at killing it is just laughable in 2014.

I notice there's inconsistencies about that though. Some quests I did and I saw other people doing the same thing obviously in their own "instance" of the quest. Then some you get the problem with waiting your turn to kill something.

Am I the only one that gets credit just for hitting things and not tagging them?

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
IIRC, you get credit based on your participation in the kill. So if a mob grants 50 XP and 10% quest credit and you do half the damage, you'll get 25 XP and 5% credit.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Reason posted:

Am I the only one that gets credit just for hitting things and not tagging them?
Quest credit? Yeah, they decided not to restrict that and they also divvy up xp and loot to both of you. They would rather have more people playing together even informally than fighting over spawns and poo poo.

Oh hey look at me late with a worse answer

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

Enos Shenk posted:

They probably paid some attention to GW2 - the double-tap dodge feels like it was taken straight from GW2 but with WoW-style skill charges. Which sounds like a grand idea, except both games' dodge mechanisms feel anemic as gently caress after playing a monk in WoW.

I think it would be a major improvement to cut the entire tutorial zone and start new players at the crashed dropship, but the XP gain still feels too slow. Part of the charm of leveling WoW alts is burning through zones and skipping most of the quests - it's like you're giving a drive-by middle finger to the long-expired MMO quest grind. Now Wildstar is dangling a carrot of nice art and cool mechanics from a stick of fifty more levels the old fashioned way.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I solved my CTD problem. Since I have a low amount of RAM the game defaulted to bilinear filtering, but my Geforce 560 says nuts to that. I changed to anisotropic filtering and everything was smooth sailing.

First thoughts:

The opening Arkship is boring. Is it a prerequisite for MMORPGs to have lame first zones?

The combat was serviceable. It was more responsive than ESO so there's that. I could get behind this if it amps up down the line.

The tone? I don't know about the tone. It's presented as a sophomoric Starship Troopers... "cupcake"? Uh oh, I think I'm too old for this game.

Graphics and the overall look is the game's strongest point. It oozes visual atmosphere.

Overall? I'll play again, but I doubt I'd sub because I doubt I have time to play a treadmill zone progression game again, but I could see this game having legs like Rift did.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 10, 2014

Minsky
May 23, 2001

If an MMO succeeds, the amount of time you spend leveling should be miniscule compared to the time you spend in the end-game, so I have a hard time judging an MMO just based on how tedious the questing is unless it is exceptionally grindy and slow, and I really don't feel like WildStar qualifies: I'm 25 now on my Medic, and I think I've played maybe a total of 10 hours over three weekends (most of that having been spent wiping on the Stormtalon Lair first boss).

If the MMO fails, it doesn't really matter how boring the questing was anyway because the game probably failed in the end game like almost all MMOs tend to do.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
The devs said that they plan to add a skip tutorial option once you have done it once but that it probably won't be in right at release. The combat gets better as the difficulty ramps up and mobs gain more abilities.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

Minsky posted:

If the MMO fails, it doesn't really matter how boring the questing was anyway because the game probably failed in the end game like almost all MMOs tend to do.

MMOs fail explicitly because the questing is boring. (Not to say a bad endgame has never killed an MMO - just that I think losing a critical mass of players because not enough people will finish the grind is the #1 MMO killer.)

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

straw man posted:

They probably paid some attention to GW2 - the double-tap dodge feels like it was taken straight from GW2 but with WoW-style skill charges. Which sounds like a grand idea, except both games' dodge mechanisms feel anemic as gently caress after playing a monk in WoW.

I think it would be a major improvement to cut the entire tutorial zone and start new players at the crashed dropship, but the XP gain still feels too slow. Part of the charm of leveling WoW alts is burning through zones and skipping most of the quests - it's like you're giving a drive-by middle finger to the long-expired MMO quest grind. Now Wildstar is dangling a carrot of nice art and cool mechanics from a stick of fifty more levels the old fashioned way.

I wouldn't exactly say it's long-expired, and I doubt the style will be out of favor for very long. A lot of players enjoy putting in a non-trivial amount of work to have their characters progress. It's just like the way you might put in a non-trivial amount of work on the gear treadmill to have your character progress, which is seemingly less of an issue from most people, just in a different style. It's also not even like the quests are droningly bad; the combat is engaging enough to carry it well enough, and I appreciate the difficulty curve.

Aside from that, you don't even have to do those fifty levels the old fashioned way. You have to do like, six, and then you unlock PvP Battlegrounds which they have designed as an alternative to leveling up as opposed to questing. You also unlock adventures and dungeons which apparently can also serve the purpose but slightly less effectively. There's actually definitely options, and if you don't like either questing (standard PvE) or battlegrounds (standard PvP) you might want to consider a different genre of gaming.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

straw man posted:

MMOs fail explicitly because the questing is boring. (Not to say a bad endgame has never killed an MMO - just that I think losing a critical mass of players because not enough people will finish the grind is the #1 MMO killer.)

I don't know if I agree with that, but I don't really have any evidence that isn't anecdotal to show one way or the other. I feel like games like SWTOR and The Secret World are two examples of games that faltered post-launch yet it can't really be blamed on the leveling experience: I think the former failed in the lack of stuff to do at cap, and the latter was constantly broken because FunCom.

I certainly wouldn't mind an MMO with a very short leveling portion and the majority of the budget being directed towards content everyone enjoys at max level. I wonder why no-one has tried it, except maybe Guild Wars 2, but I'm not a fan of that game for other reasons.

Minsky fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 10, 2014

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
If anyone having performance issues was playing on a client that used UI 1.0 from a handful of patches ago, there's been reports of conflicting config files located in your %AppData%\Roaming\NCSOFT\WildStar folder, and that deleting the folder and letting it be re-populated can have dramatic improvements on your framerate.

Hope it helps.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

a cat on an apple posted:

Aside from that, you don't even have to do those fifty levels the old fashioned way. You have to do like, six, and then you unlock PvP Battlegrounds which they have designed as an alternative to leveling up as opposed to questing. You also unlock adventures and dungeons which apparently can also serve the purpose but slightly less effectively. There's actually definitely options, and if you don't like either questing (standard PvE) or battlegrounds (standard PvP) you might want to consider a different genre of gaming.

Definitely two things at work here, then. One, my personal dream of a game with RPG combat that will drop you into a PvP zone at level 1. Planetside with WoW mechanics. Two, how did I spend so much time in that awful tutorial zone and not learn that PvP does start that early? I was legitimately about to walk away from this game at level 4, but now I have to keep going for another hour or so.

Minsky
May 23, 2001

The "level up rewards" UI screen is a bit of a mess. Important features like dungeon/adventure/pvp unlocks tend to get buried amongst eight other smaller things you get that level, like "+1 AMP point" etc.

Although I think they should move the first adventure to be sooner than level 15 (like 10-12) if it's possible to scale it down that low because that is a fun distraction and the XP is good... when the objective doesn't bug out.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

straw man posted:

Definitely two things at work here, then. One, my personal dream of a game with RPG combat that will drop you into a PvP zone at level 1. Planetside with WoW mechanics. Two, how did I spend so much time in that awful tutorial zone and not learn that PvP does start that early? I was legitimately about to walk away from this game at level 4, but now I have to keep going for another hour or so.

I can definitely understand that, actually! I still have fond childhood memories of the idea of The World from the .hack// franchise being real, and the game is portrayed to be ruthlessly PvP, with less emphasis on quests themselves and more on just the nature of the ruthless world, regardless of your character's actual level.

You didn't learn that because the User Interface is still a bit obtuse. Fortunately, they're working on improving it, but it's not exactly an option that's made obvious. I'd rather the option be there but not obvious than the option obviously not there, though. :shrug:

Minsky posted:

Although I think they should move the first adventure to be sooner than level 15 (like 10-12) if it's possible to scale it down that low because that is a fun distraction and the XP is good... when the objective doesn't bug out.

They've actually been talking about creating an adventure or dungeon for around Level 10, according to CRB_Gaffer's recent AMA. It's a common request.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I can't say I'm digging the plot (There's a plot?) that much, or the questing.

But drat, the PVP is fun.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

These green bars are bouncing up and down. What do they mean?

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

That's a medic aoe ability, occasionally the graphic gets stuck.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I mentioned it a bit in the last thread but I want impressed with the level 20 dungeons. Same amount of lot as adventures but the times as long, corridors from one boss to the next and trash mobs have way too much hp. Boss fights are a lot of fun though, they get pretty hectic and feel about on par with WoW raid bosses with having to carefully watch mechanics. Hopefully they get better further into the game and the first are just simple so you can get used to them.

They feel really disconnected from the main game though, no quests leading to them, don't seem to tie into a zones sorry at all except for a short quest line you do at level 8. Do they even have a physical entry point?

Dude you need to sleep.

I actually stumbled on the Stormtalon entrance when I was doing Exile quests, the mobs and quests in the area were hinting at what the dungeon might contain, but if I ever got the dungeon quest it was indeed not something memorable at all.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Bussamove posted:

It was one of those rabbit NPCs-- Lopp, I think they're called? Whatever it was late-90s platformer music was playing and it was magical.

Yo I just did this thing myself and basically exactly what you said

That music had me in tears while I was chasing the Lopp.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

Someone found an apparent fix for performance issues. Delete everything in this folder.

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\NCSOFT\WildStar

Outdated config files and other nonsense.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Phrasing posted:

Someone found an apparent fix for performance issues. Delete everything in this folder.

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\NCSOFT\WildStar

Outdated config files and other nonsense.

uppped me from 70-90 fps at ultra to 90-100 so yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I went from 40 at ultra to 75 at ultra.

• Locked thread