Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Midnight Moth posted:

Gil

You actually never did Gil. You're mom's taking advantage of your poor memory to screw with you. Although somehow she let you have a cat.

When I was a kid and I asked my parents for a hamster, they always said, "Nope! We have cats! No way you can keep a hamster AND a cat!" I totally accepted that. It's only at right this moment that I'm realizing that plenty of people manage to keep hamsters and cats at the same time without any tragic consequences... :sigh: my parents might not have been completely truthful about why they wouldn't let me have a hamster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
To be fair I know a kid whose pet parrot was eaten by a stray cat. Unless he was bullshitting me but it was a kid and he seemed legit sad about it.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Hey thread, look what came today! Squee!

Front of box:

Back of box:

What's inside? (I feel kinda like Alice on her manhole cover)

Random page I flipped to in book 1:

Also, if you didn't pre-order, I feel bad for you son. Amazon currently has it for $47.00, but the US list price (and what's on the packaging) is $75.00. I paid $31.00 when I pre-ordered.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I had a dwarf hamster once, but my dog bit its skull open. Me and my brother used to let it run around the room and somehow the dog got in there and it just sort of happened in a second - it was pretty awful.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Midnight Moth posted:

To be fair I know a kid whose pet parrot was eaten by a stray cat. Unless he was bullshitting me but it was a kid and he seemed legit sad about it.

If it's any consolation, the kid probably just had a pet parakeet.

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.

Wanamingo posted:

If it's any consolation, the kid probably just had a pet parakeet.

It was one of these which I guess is a parakeet.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

RandomFerret posted:

I lived through the loving 80s. I've seen more leather ties than you've had hot dinners.

Men's fashion was ridiculous in those days. Women's moreso, although I still find the combination of leotards and a ripped-neck sweatshirt strangely Droolworthy Comix.

Same here. Add leg warmers, and I'll loving melt.

I knew quite a few people with leather ties, but I never owned one. I used to wear a super skinny tie (vintage 50s) all the time, though. That got paired with my black sharkskin suit coat with the sleeves rolled up above my elbows. I had parachute pants too. drat I miss those. :v:

Julet Esqu posted:

When I was a kid and I asked my parents for a hamster, they always said, "Nope! We have cats! No way you can keep a hamster AND a cat!" I totally accepted that. It's only at right this moment that I'm realizing that plenty of people manage to keep hamsters and cats at the same time without any tragic consequences... :sigh: my parents might not have been completely truthful about why they wouldn't let me have a hamster.

Three cats and a gerbil here. When the gerbil arrived, the cats were interested for about an afternoon. I think that once they realized it was in a cage, and there was nothing they could do, they gave up. All three couldn't give two fucks about the gerbil now, even when it's roaming the house in it's little gerbil ball while its cage is being cleaned.

This is beyond horrible. Did he actually get paid for this poo poo? I mean, the concept is on par with Computoons, but Computoons is funny to me because it's so bizarre. DOGG is just crap.

Right, I've been saying all week I'm going to post these and Ima do that right now. To recap, they're MAD magazine parodies of comics of the time, so sort of prehistoric CSMT edit type stuff. The issue was from December, 1959. They're not terribly funny, but they seemed to be thread-related. Timg'd because huge. Anyway, here:

Henry

Mary Worth

Li'l Abner

Pogo

And, I have absolutely no clue about the middle character in this one, but it's obviously Dennis the Menace top, and Blondie bottom.

So there you go. It was a one-off deal.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

scarycave posted:

I had a dwarf hamster once, but my dog bit its skull open. Me and my brother used to let it run around the room and somehow the dog got in there and it just sort of happened in a second - it was pretty awful.
Hamsters seem designed to traumatize children, there's so many horrible ways for something that small to go.
My mother and her siblings owned some hamsters years ago. They went to bed one night with two hamsters, woke up with one and a half hamsters. They THINK the one-half was dearly departed before his roommate started tucking in. Possibly.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, I think all of y'all who are annoyed about LSoS are PBFing the gently caress out of it. "This is a nuanced situation and kind of a lovely one as a result" isn't the same thing as "MAN IS THE REAL MONSTER."

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

And, I have absolutely no clue about the middle character in this one, but it's obviously Dennis the Menace top, and Blondie bottom.

So there you go. It was a one-off deal.

I think the guy in the middle is supposed to be Smilin' Jack. I've seen him in other comics parodies that have run in MAD.

fake edit: The wikipedia link mentions the issue number of one of the parodies. I think I might dig up my copy of Totally Mad and see if it's there.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
So many here post every day - I can't keep up like that!

Apple Mary
12/10/34

12/11/34

12/12/34
A fire happened.

12/13/34

Fritzi before-the-Tits
6/14/27

6/15/27

6/16/27

And just because I love Milt Gross:
Gross Exaggerations
6/13/27

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Slammy posted:

Apple Mary
12/13/34

I'd love to see Mary Worth run like that. Or Wilbur ("Oh no, the sandwich shop is on fire!"), or anyone else in modern-day Mary Worth, for that matter.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Andertoons

Four Eyes

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

Oh, Brother

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Slammy posted:

Apple Mary

Wait, is the reference in the 1959 Mary Worth I posted upthread referring to this Apple Mary? It suddenly makes sense.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Wikipedia posted:

Jason Crabb is a Christian music singer and musician.
Of course he loving is.

"It was then meant to be that we said, 'goodbye'!"? Who talks like that?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Nancy makes me want to vomit until I die.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

drat, that's actually pretty sad.

Marvel at this technology-savvy youth! Why, he's even wearing an Internet T-shirt!

Apartment 3-G

:haw: She's depressed as poo poo, and I don't care why!
:v: Awesome! See you!

Pros & Cons

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

*jerks off onto dusty old copy of toys in the attic, has to stop because image of jimmy carter keeps intruding*

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Guys, I figured out what Gilchrist is trying to do. His Nancy is the Apple Mary of today; in sixty years, Nancy will have become a super-popular dramatic soap opera strip only adults read. We're witnessing the seeds of a momentous change.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Aardmania posted:

Pibgorn
http://i.xomf.com/lqkwl.jpg

Yep, Brooke managed to rub out another hand panel again.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Why does he spell it with two Gs?

Look how much bigger his head is than hers. :downs:

Wanamingo posted:

Arlo and Janis
Janis after sex: "So, were you thinking about your parents?" :psyduck:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Tiggum posted:

Holy poo poo, you're right, he's John Merrick!

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Sally Forth

The Amazing Spider-Man

Juliet Jones

Phantom Classic

:argh: You hoodoo!

Everything about this one tickles me. :)

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
How did Spider-Man take that picture :psyduck:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

I hope he's not kidding and the next arc is about trying to find the real JJJ.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Shadeoses posted:

HOW DID HE DEVELOP IT SO FAST?

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Shadeoses posted:

VoidBurger posted:

HOW DID HE DEVELOP IT SO FAST?

The greatest newspaper Spider-Man story arc ever ends in the most perfect possible way.

:allears:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

I'm starting to think Larry Lieber could teach Tom Batiuk a few things about last-panel smugface.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Say what you will about Peter Parker's mental state - dude can take pictures of himself like a pro.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Well, I think in the past Spider-Man has webbed up cameras and had them take pictures of himself. I think he does it pretty frequently, since he's the guy that gets all of the photos of himself. poo poo like that should be old hat for him. Maybe he sets up a remote system? The print is because it's just easier to show that than a tight shot of a digital camera screen with text bubbles or whatever.

E: beaten like a joke in Mike du Jour

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Pvt.Scott posted:

Well, I think in the past Spider-Man has webbed up cameras and had them take pictures of himself. I think he does it pretty frequently, since he's the guy that gets all of the photos of himself. poo poo like that should be old hat for him. Maybe he sets up a remote system? The print is because it's just easier to show that than a tight shot of a digital camera screen with text bubbles or whatever.

E: beaten like a joke in Mike du Jour
But he would have had to set up the camera MILES away from where the action was happening to get this shot. :psyduck: Unless he has thousands of cameras all over NYC. BUT HOW DID HE DEVELOP THE PICTURE SO QUICK ANYWAY.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

VoidBurger posted:

But he would have had to set up the camera MILES away from where the action was happening to get this shot. :psyduck: Unless he has thousands of cameras all over NYC. BUT HOW DID HE DEVELOP THE PICTURE SO QUICK ANYWAY.

Very large polaroid camera

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Proportional image-developing abilities of a spider.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Radio Patrol

This fight has been going on for weeks. It's pretty good. I just kind of wish I knew anything about the participants besides "One's a cop and one's a dancer or maybe an Apache, I guess."

Rip Kirby

Yeah... You've pointed all that weaponry right at his fuzzy little head. :stare:

Kismet Kildare here looks a little bit Audrey Hepburney to me. Wiki tells me that she was just starting to break out into stardom in 1954, when this was published, so maybe?

Big Ben Bolt

sweetguts
Apr 29, 2013

I know what I'm about.

This arc or whatever of Nancy is going to end with Phil proposing to Fritzi in the schmaltziest manner possible. we will get months and months of wedding planning jokes even worse than the ones in Luann, and it will all culminate in a big wedding Sunday strip where they get hitched on the back of a pickup truck decorated with an American flag decal, parked in the middle of an old-fashioned Americana-type church while angels serenade them with classic rock. calling it.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

I'll go with this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

sweetguts posted:

This arc or whatever of Nancy is going to end with Phil proposing to Fritzi in the schmaltziest manner possible. we will get months and months of wedding planning jokes even worse than the ones in Luann, and it will all culminate in a big wedding Sunday strip where they get hitched on the back of a pickup truck decorated with an American flag decal, parked in the middle of an old-fashioned Americana-type church while angels serenade them with classic rock. calling it.
and then it ends and the syndicate gives the strip to a fully recovered Richard Thompson

:smith:

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Tiggum posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

Rex Morgan MD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Byzantine posted:

comic strip Spider-Man has the same weird logic as 70s cartoon Spider-Man.

• Locked thread