Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Alrighty, cool! Turns out they make enough grapes per day I don't think it's a huge loss. Gives me an excuse to start working on ranking up my tree seeds to 10, anyways.

Actually, speaking of crop levels--does higher level corn heal the soil more? If so, is there any way to speed up the process reliably? I got lucky and found a level 10 potato somewhere so now the store sells level 10 potato seeds, but I can't imagine counting on that happening again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm not sure, I think I had maxed my corn's level before I started using it to top off my fields regularly. Just use greenifier or whatever and make sure your sickle is best one you can craft to level your crops as quickly as possible.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
You don't have to plow corn plants; you can actually just drop a piece or two of dried grass or some ears of corn and plow those into the soil. You even get to keep your trees!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

How do you grow trees? Are there seeds somewhere?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

gmq posted:

How do you grow trees? Are there seeds somewhere?

There is a magic tree that dispenses them west and then north of the Obsidian Mansion. AFAIK you can get one per day. If you complete enough quests though, seeds do eventually show up at the shop.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Oh nooooo I didn't think typhoons could happen in Fall, augh.

Oh well, the lumber and stone will be good for expanding the farm. Just how many times can you expand it, anyways? I'm at three fields, and I've gotten two side rooms thus far.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
4 Expansions I believe, giving you a total of 5 fields inside the palace.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Chump Farts posted:

There is a magic tree that dispenses them west and then north of the Obsidian Mansion. AFAIK you can get one per day. If you complete enough quests though, seeds do eventually show up at the shop.

Those quests require you to harvest 50 of the fruit in question, so you still need the mansion trees.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Trebuchet King posted:

What if it's trees that are in the low-HP soil?

Just wanted to chime in that it doesn't matter if the soil drops to 0 HP for trees; mine have been like that for awhile, and they're still producing fruit as long as I water them.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

What does it mean, then, when the trees have a brownish-orange tint to them? I'd thought it meant I forgot to water the day before, because it goes away on watering, but I took a few game days to double check the wateredness of everything before resting and it doesn't seem to be that.

One other question for the day--what's the weather effect with all the floating ghost things?

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.

Trebuchet King posted:

What does it mean, then, when the trees have a brownish-orange tint to them? I'd thought it meant I forgot to water the day before, because it goes away on watering, but I took a few game days to double check the wateredness of everything before resting and it doesn't seem to be that.

One other question for the day--what's the weather effect with all the floating ghost things?

It means they need water, you have your finger on it.

The ghosts are Runeys and the weather condition means congrats, all your poo poo is now magically harvestable. I dunno if it has an official name or not, I just called it a runey spree whenever it popped up. It happens now and then, and can be a big boon if you're working on pain in the rear end crops that take forever to grow.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I redid all of my crops on Spring 1 Year 2 (technically 3 because of the timeskip) including planting a bunch of trees to have a giant orange, apple, and grape tree.

I had a ghost storm on Spring 2, nearly all of my trees immediately exploding into full bloom. It was beautiful.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Runey weather is the best weather. While it doesn't make every crop fully bloom at once (mainly the golden vegetables I think), it's extremely useful for just about everything else.

The villagers also acknowledge it sometimes! Porcoline mentions that he tried eating the Runeys or something like that.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Okay, I suspected it was something along those lines; I noticed that sometimes picking crops on those days left little ghosts behind that I think gave me XP? I was surprised no NPCs said anything to clue me in, though.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Trebuchet King posted:

Okay, I suspected it was something along those lines; I noticed that sometimes picking crops on those days left little ghosts behind that I think gave me XP? I was surprised no NPCs said anything to clue me in, though.

I think what you're referring to is the little Runeys that pop up sometimes when you harvest, right? Those permantly increase a base stat like strength by 1. Or if you mean the rune orbs (tiny circles of light the appear when you harvest a crop), they level up one of your trainable skills by 1 so it's really convenient.

Both of those can happen at any time regardless of the weather. If you want to abuse that mechanic to level up faster, plant a bunch of regrowable crops like fodder. You'll get more chances of things popping up that way.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Nondevor posted:

I think what you're referring to is the little Runeys that pop up sometimes when you harvest, right? Those permantly increase a base stat like strength by 1. Or if you mean the rune orbs (tiny circles of light the appear when you harvest a crop), they level up one of your trainable skills by 1 so it's really convenient.

Both of those can happen at any time regardless of the weather. If you want to abuse that mechanic to level up faster, plant a bunch of regrowable crops like fodder. You'll get more chances of things popping up that way.

The also refill your RP, IIRC.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Jesus, RF4's farming rabbit hole goes way deeper than I thought. I feel like I should be reading up on it to make sure I'm doing it right.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Nah, just farm the way you want to. Other than the greenifier/corn/withered weeds stuff I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Crafting, on the other hand... :unsmigghh:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Meldonox posted:

Jesus, RF4's farming rabbit hole goes way deeper than I thought. I feel like I should be reading up on it to make sure I'm doing it right.

The best way to "do it right" is to level up crops using your sickle (cutting down a full grown crop will give you a seed one level higher, depending on how good your sickle is). I believe if you ship the seeds at that point, they show up in the stores, so you can eventually get all seeds up to level 10, which makes 'em sell for a lot more money. You can also level up your soil, get giant regrowable crops that are level 10, and make hundreds of thousands of gold each day. That's all relatively late game though, for the early game you just plant stuff as you can, harvest it as you can, and if you can level up your crops in the meantime, so much the better.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Natsume is teasing that they will announce most of their lineup for E3 soon. Going by their usual MO for E3, we will probably hear their planned release window for Connect to A New World; I am thinking it will be mid to late October. Fogu claims that there is retail leaks to back that guesstimate up so we shall have to see!

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Nondevor posted:

I planted a whole field's worth of Emery Flowers recently and I got a runey/skill-up rune from almost every freaking one of them when they all were ready to harvest. Is that normal? I don't know if that means 'rarer'/longer-to-grow crops are more likely to give runeys/skillups or what.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

ZZT the Fifth posted:

I planted a whole field's worth of Emery Flowers recently and I got a runey/skill-up rune from almost every freaking one of them when they all were ready to harvest. Is that normal? I don't know if that means 'rarer'/longer-to-grow crops are more likely to give runeys/skillups or what.

That's kind of how it works I think. Pineapples are really good for farming skillups too, and they take forever to grow unless you get the growthrate up to 5x.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I'm pretty sure it also goes by crop level. My fields full of level 10 mythic vegetables poo poo runes and Runeys all over me, and my one jackoff new field of eggplants gets me about three runes per full-field harvest and maybe a Runey, maybe.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

A new day and a new question--if I make an armor item, but add in the pendant that increases skill exp gain, will the armor then increase skill exp gain as well? If so, I think I might try making a set of armor/headgear/shoes with that pendant tossed in.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Trebuchet King posted:

A new day and a new question--if I make an armor item, but add in the pendant that increases skill exp gain, will the armor then increase skill exp gain as well? If so, I think I might try making a set of armor/headgear/shoes with that pendant tossed in.

Item effects only overlap if they're from the same category. For example, if you were making a headgear piece only stats from other headgear pieces would inherit. Shoes go into shoes, accessories like necklaces go into other accessories. So no, making a leather vest with a heart pendant would not give you skill gains. I suggest making a pendant with two other pendants and a handknit scarf; up to 3 items can be inherited (the first item gives the stats) with the resulting fusion giving its ability.

Barrett the NPC is useful for examining this stuff.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nondevor posted:

Item effects only overlap if they're from the same category. For example, if you were making a headgear piece only stats from other headgear pieces would inherit. Shoes go into shoes, accessories like necklaces go into other accessories. So no, making a leather vest with a heart pendant would not give you skill gains. I suggest making a pendant with two other pendants and a handknit scarf; up to 3 items can be inherited (the first item gives the stats) with the resulting fusion giving its ability.

If you only want the abilities and don't want to override the stats, is there a way to still give abilities from 2 accessories without "wasting" the third crafting slot? If not, being able to pick your favorite graphic is still pretty boss.

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010

Nondevor posted:

I wonder if you can apply light ore to accessory crafting like you can with weapon crafting (like how you can make a glove with long sword stats using light ore)? That would allow you to make leather armor with pendant stats.

Also, I semi-accidentally crafted a glove that says it does 7k damage, but whenever I use it in game it always does 1 damage regardless of the target. I think this is from scrap metal+? It's handy for farming double- and ten-fold steel...but not quite what I was looking for. :sigh:

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

nonnemaus posted:

I wonder if you can apply light ore to accessory crafting like you can with weapon crafting (like how you can make a glove with long sword stats using light ore)? That would allow you to make leather armor with pendant stats.

Also, I semi-accidentally crafted a glove that says it does 7k damage, but whenever I use it in game it always does 1 damage regardless of the target. I think this is from scrap metal+? It's handy for farming double- and ten-fold steel...but not quite what I was looking for. :sigh:

scrap metal+'s effect is making weapons do 1 damage. You use it just for farming those chipsqueeks.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So RF4 can I get some clarification on a few things?

I'm super ambling about planting veggies whenever because not sure what else to be doing with my farm and it's going fine- but I got requests to grow a dungeon or something as well as sword plants and shield plants or something and... I don't even know where to start on that.
Also I have no idea what to do with winter which is fast approaching as it seems just about every seed I have "won't grow at winter".

Also story had me fight with Forte as a ally and she just barely survived as I haven't been using her. Figured I'd take her with Margret to go level up in case something like that happened again, but despite her telling me "I'll join you now no mater what." She won't. I assume this is story related and I have to get the rune sphere's back from the empire?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I had a similar issue and had to clear a town event first. Check the diary and see if there are any that need resolving?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Nondevor posted:

Alright, cool--what I ended up making, factoring my present crafting level, was a set of magic earrings for stats, with a happy ring, heart pendant, and then the handknit scarf added in. Thank you very much for the pointers!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I have no idea what to do with winter which is fast approaching as it seems just about every seed I have "won't grow at winter".

You can grow any crop during any season, the only thing growing a crop out of season does is makes it grow slower.

Or you can use field dungeons during Winter.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 06:29 on May 10, 2014

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm super ambling about planting veggies whenever because not sure what else to be doing with my farm and it's going fine- but I got requests to grow a dungeon or something as well as sword plants and shield plants or something and... I don't even know where to start on that.

Also story had me fight with Forte as a ally and she just barely survived as I haven't been using her. Figured I'd take her with Margret to go level up in case something like that happened again, but despite her telling me "I'll join you now no mater what." She won't. I assume this is story related and I have to get the rune sphere's back from the empire?

Yeah, dungeon seeds are one of those things the game tells you exists, but won't ever tell you how. Basically, in the first 5 days of a season, in Sercezero Hill, a path opens up where normally mushrooms would be. That leads to Demon's Den, which has a boss who drops a Dungeon seed. After that, you can access it anytime using the airship. You get sword and shield seeds from bosses in the Dungeon seeds. Generally, you can craft better gear, but you might get lucky and grow something decent.

As for Forte, she's probably part of a Town Event that you need to finish before she becomes available again.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thanks for that, cleared the event and now power leveling Forte... though, do level ups take effect the next day or something? Took her to the most recent area and she's gained literally 40-50 levels in a single day, her stats have gone way up but she's still hitting for only about 10 damage while Margret who's stats are about hers is doing roughly 400.

I gave her alright equipment so not sure why she's about as effective as a wet fart right now.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Thanks for that, cleared the event and now power leveling Forte... though, do level ups take effect the next day or something? Took her to the most recent area and she's gained literally 40-50 levels in a single day, her stats have gone way up but she's still hitting for only about 10 damage while Margret who's stats are about hers is doing roughly 400.

I gave her alright equipment so not sure why she's about as effective as a wet fart right now.

Equipment is really important. If she's not kitted out as best as you can kit her, make that a priority if you want to bring her around.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Patware posted:

Equipment is really important. If she's not kitted out as best as you can kit her, make that a priority if you want to bring her around.

This. Last time I played, my Forte hit harder than I did.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Fair enough, I gave her a sword I was using moments ago so the low damage startled me a bit. I do wanna ask though, tried growing giant produce for the hell of it and when I went out there was a giant flower (what I was aiming for). But when I picked it up it shrank to normal size. Am I supposed to do something different?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Let it grow a while longer. There's two stages to large. The first stage is just visually larger, they harvest the same as normal. The second stage, all the crops on the plot merge together into one mega crop, and that's the huge crop.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blhue posted:

Let it grow a while longer. There's two stages to large. The first stage is just visually larger, they harvest the same as normal. The second stage, all the crops on the plot merge together into one mega crop, and that's the huge crop.

Alright thanks, and sorry about all the questions. Never really played any games quite like this so just a bit lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

If they don't merge after a day just throw another Giantizer on it (the chemicals affect the ground, not the crops)

• Locked thread