Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

One stop more per decade is the Internet rule of thumb, more for faster film. I wouldn't put much more thought into it than that, since cross-processing slide film in C41 chems seems to do weird things to the overall scene contrast that will make overly careful exposure irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Anyone try Rollei RLS developer? Curious about the most ideal developer to use with low ISO film

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Baron Dirigible posted:

I'm getting ready to start processing my own film, and I've decided to start simple with B+W stand development. Rodinal 1:100 seems the go-to solution, but just out of curiosity, why does my box of Ilford HP5+ stipulate 0+25 and 6? Is this referring to 6 minutes at 1:25 dilution? I'm assuming 1:100 would just slow down the process, and from what I've read anything from 20 minutes to an hour would yield useable results.

Also, how should I dispose of 1:100 Rodinal? People seem to be saying it's dilute enough to pour down the train, but I'm wary.

Developer contains only organic materials and a few simple ions - nothing at all hazardous and it's quite alright to throw even concentrated developer down the drain. You can develop film with solutions based on coffee or lemon juice (there's a somewhat out-there artist who uses her own mouth as both camera and development tank, one frame at a time), it's less hazardous than what homes and businesses routinely flush down their drains.

Fixer, as noted, is a different beast entirely and doesn't play nice with ecosystems or water treatment systems.

Don't worry about what your Ilford box says, use the Massive Dev Chart

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

ExecuDork posted:

there's a somewhat out-there artist who uses her own mouth as both camera and development tank, one frame at a time

I think it is important that you name this person

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Looky what I found in the Weirdstuff Warehouse today:

(It's that Polaroid video system)

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
So I developed some more film!

And something broke! Did two rolls of Tri-x one was relatively new and the other was pretty old. The older one came out very faint, it was obviously as old as dirt so but is there any where to correct for the exposure or development for film getting old?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

When you're shooting, meter at a stop slower for every 10 years or so the film is out of date. On the development end, using a more concentrated developer or agitating more will increase contrast.

I've got a bunch of expired Portra 400 NC from 2001 I've been shooting with pretty good reliability metering at 160.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

LargeHadron posted:

I think it is important that you name this person

You are correct!

Ann Hamilton places a small pinhole camera in her mouth, which is not quite the same thing I mentioned, and Linday Seers actually places photographic paper in her mouth and purses her lips to form the pinhole, which is exactly what I was thinking about.

And then there's this Annoyingly Trendy How-To page about it that might or might not have useful information buried under all those mouse-over popups.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

ExecuDork posted:

Ann Hamilton places a small pinhole camera in her mouth, which is not quite the same thing I mentioned, and Linday Seers actually places photographic paper in her mouth and purses her lips to form the pinhole, which is exactly what I was thinking about.

Neat, thanks!

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Can somebody post the youtube link of the guy insulting your photography while also showing you how to color correct film scans using curves? I skimmed back a bunch of pages but I am not even sure if it was originally posted in this thread.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
Thanks!

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

That should probably just go into the OP.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

alkanphel posted:

That should probably just go into the OP.

Good idea.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Stupid question, how well does color film keep frozen? I stumbled across some Kodak 400 Ultra Color in the back of a freezer, so I'm a little curious before it gets developed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

The Meat Dimension posted:

Stupid question, how well does color film keep frozen? I stumbled across some Kodak 400 Ultra Color in the back of a freezer, so I'm a little curious before it gets developed.

Freezing is good at preserving film. Is that Ultra Color or Portra UC?

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

There's good advice there, but that guy sounds like he's trying too hard to pull the "loud and angry and constantly insulting you" bit. His soft voice and ums and you-knows undermine the whole thing, and I kinda wish he'd just delivered it straight. And it doesn't go into how to scan the negatives in the first place, other than to use 16-bit channels.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

8th-snype posted:

Freezing is good at preserving film. Is that Ultra Color or Portra UC?

Ultra Color, there's three of the larger boxes.

The Meat Dimension fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 6, 2014

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

404notfound posted:

There's good advice there, but that guy sounds like he's trying too hard to pull the "loud and angry and constantly insulting you" bit. His soft voice and ums and you-knows undermine the whole thing, and I kinda wish he'd just delivered it straight. And it doesn't go into how to scan the negatives in the first place, other than to use 16-bit channels.
Yeah, it's a reasonable guide but I find the presentation a bit grating.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

It works great, just keep it in a baggie or inside the canister until it thaws so you don't get condensation on the film.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

404notfound posted:

That's the point - scanning as 16-bit positive is the only thing that you want to be doing when scanning. The rest is Photoshop syou fuckign noob.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

404notfound posted:

I made a meme picture but then realized that's a bad idea to post, but basically the guy's barely-audible "ranting" (yes, ok, you like Zero Punctuation or whatever) made me think of this guy:

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Paul MaudDib posted:

It works great, just keep it in a baggie or inside the canister until it thaws so you don't get condensation on the film.

Thanks a ton. Of everything I read I only came across that point once and it seems pretty important.

I could just be an incompetent googler, too.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Thanks a ton. Of everything I read I only came across that point once and it seems pretty important.

I could just be an incompetent googler, too.

Keeping film in the freezer is actually great. Once you get it down to ~50F the emulsion pretty much stops degrading, so that time basically "doesn't count" towards the expiration. Keeping it frozen is even better, but you get almost as much impact by putting it in the fridge. And it's also inside a metal box so it's less susceptible to picking up fog from background radiation.

There's some specific exceptions to this. For example, you don't want to freeze Polaroid film, or even get it close, because it has little gel-packs containing the developer, and if they freeze they burst and the film is useless.

You can pick up a small 2-5cu ft freestanding chest freezer for like $150-200, plus they cost like $25 a year in energy costs. The freezers are heavily insulated and since they open from the top the cold doesn't "fall out" when you open them, so they're much more efficient than a dorm fridge. It's a good investment and pretty cheap compared to letting film decay.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It turns out that my friend has an Epson Perfection 3170 and the film holders. It can scan film, so that's a plus. It's also ancient in terms of tech. I looked into it a bit and it seems that I can actually still run it in WIn 7. Is it even worth using this ancient and likely slow as gently caress scanner, or should I start saving my $$ for a V6/700.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

dog nougat posted:

It turns out that my friend has an Epson Perfection 3170 and the film holders. It can scan film, so that's a plus. It's also ancient in terms of tech. I looked into it a bit and it seems that I can actually still run it in WIn 7. Is it even worth using this ancient and likely slow as gently caress scanner, or should I start saving my $$ for a V6/700.

Depends how much your friend wants for it? It's certainly good enough to upload stuff to show off on the internet.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
It's free, so no worries there. I was just really wondering if it was any good, I have a bunch of negs I wanna scan so the fact that it's free is cool, but I'd like it to not take forever/days to just get them all digitized. It's kinda silly I guess to throw down on a new scanner when I can get one for free, but the v6/700's do look pretty nice.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

I'm using an even older scanner at the moment (Epson Perfection 2450), and it's perfectly fine for posting stuff to the Web. If it's free and you don't have the means to get anything better, by all means take it.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yes. Maybe I should just save up for a drum scanner...by the time I have the funds film well be a footnote in history :shepicide:

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

If you have a decent digital cam and a macro lens, you can digitize them that way.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
That's a solid point. I've been thinking about an led light box to avoid the weird fluorescent banding. However a refurb v700 is only around $400. I should probably get a "modern" dslr at some point but...I'm poor...and shoot film it's a vicious cycle.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

dog nougat posted:

That's a solid point. I've been thinking about an led light box to avoid the weird fluorescent banding. However a refurb v700 is only around $400. I should probably get a "modern" dslr at some point but...I'm poor...and shoot film it's a vicious cycle.

I don't know if it applies to you, however if you only have 35mm film to scan, a brand new dedicated film scanner will cost you less and will have better output quality.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

dog nougat posted:

I have that exact scanner. It's slow and clunky and clearly outclassed by anything newer, but it runs fine in Windows 7 and it gets the job done, for me. My scanning workflow includes browsing the forums in between putting film into the holder and tweaking the previews.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

ExecuDork posted:

It's slow and clunky and clearly outclassed by anything newer
I've never seen a scanner that wasn't slow and clunky.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

maxmars posted:

I don't know if it applies to you, however if you only have 35mm film to scan, a brand new dedicated film scanner will cost you less and will have better output quality.

Yeah, unfortunately I have a bunch of 120 film, and just a handful of 35mm.

ExecuDork posted:

I have that exact scanner. It's slow and clunky and clearly outclassed by anything newer, but it runs fine in Windows 7 and it gets the job done, for me. My scanning workflow includes browsing the forums in between putting film into the holder and tweaking the previews.

I'll just pretend I'm scanning in the so-called dark ages before digital cameras were any good.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

dog nougat posted:

Yeah, unfortunately I have a bunch of 120 film
There's something wrong with you if you use "unfortunately" and "120 film" in the same sentence. Rejoice! 120 is awesome! And that scanner will get the job done on 120, too. That's why I got mine - literally plucked from a recycling bin.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

There's something wrong with you if you use "unfortunately" and "120 film" in the same sentence. Rejoice! 120 is awesome! And that scanner will get the job done on 120, too. That's why I got mine - literally plucked from a recycling bin.

Valid point. I heart medium format, it's "unfortunate" that I can't get an affordable dedicated film scanner that takes 120.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
window by PC-P, on Flickr

My first scan on the Plustek 8100. That thing is pretty nice, I think.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

Tony Two Bapes posted:

My first scan on the Plustek 8100. That thing is pretty nice, I think.

Hell yeah, wish my first scans were like that :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Yeah, that looks lovely.

In other news I am trying rodinal semi-stand development, and I really dig it so far.

_DSC6687 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr
_DSC6686 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr