Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I've always wanted a keyboard with real media controls in Clears (or Alps, or springs...)

How long did it take and how much did it cost to buy the replacement switches?

Fn key combos don't count. I could buy a $60 keyboard and make my own. VVVVVV

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 06:55 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

CODE has integrated media keys with clear switches, if you don't mind paying a bit of a premium for it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Dogen posted:

That is beautiful.
For reals that is probably the most desirable keyboard in the thread. Clears + white led + corsair body style = nothing but the best. All it needs are the new doubleshot backlit caps from Max once they sell them seperate.

Also Nondescript how do you like the clears for games?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

404notfound posted:

CODE has integrated media keys with clear switches, if you don't mind paying a bit of a premium for it.

It is however out of stock again and most likely will be for months.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Klyith posted:

For reals that is probably the most desirable keyboard in the thread. Clears + white led + corsair body style = nothing but the best. All it needs are the new doubleshot backlit caps from Max once they sell them seperate.

Also Nondescript how do you like the clears for games?

I'd like to get some nice doubelshots some time but the bottom row is non standard so if I can't find all matching keys I probably won't bother. I haven't really played any games yet so I couldn't tell you. I'm not a big gamer these days. I'm also a somewhat heavy typer so the reds being linear didn't matter much because I always bottomed out. I didn't take a picture but my keys also have O-rings.

~Coxy posted:

I've always wanted a keyboard with real media controls in Clears (or Alps, or springs...)

How long did it take and how much did it cost to buy the replacement switches?

Fn key combos don't count. I could buy a $60 keyboard and make my own. VVVVVV

110 pack from mechanicalkeyboards.com cost about $50. Unsoldering took the longest, probably a good 5 to 6 hours. It sucked but had to be done. Soldering on new switches took probably an hour, maybe another hour for the leds. chanting the leds for those top special keys took another few hours since there was so much trial and error, but it all turned out pretty well.

I'll be making my next keyboard from scratch though. gently caress unsoldering.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
After months of back and forth over getting a compact Topre board I went to EliteKeyboards last night and stumbled across a new version of the Leopold FC660C (not sure if it's actually new or just "new" for EliteKeyboards)

Dye-sublimated gray keycaps... I couldn't resist. $30 premium over the regular black version but it's too pretty to ignore. Can't wait for it to arrive. Not sure what I'm going to do with my old Das Keyboard... maybe take it to work to annoy my coworkers?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Any recommendations for something similar to the CM Storm QuickFire TK? Preferrably looking at MX Reds or Browns. And I also prefer the white backlight. I really like the layout of the TK because I do use the numpad a lot, but never the arrow keys and I would like a more compact keyboard than a full size.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Anyone have any experience with the Matias keyboards?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Any recommendations for something similar to the CM Storm QuickFire TK?
The CM TK is really the only thing that does the reduced size + numpad.

I have one of them and found it was better in theory than practice for me. Some of that is just my own preference, but I do think a few of the things they did with the combined numpad are pretty clumsy, particularly how they use the backlit keys as indicators. Personally if I was trying the same idea again I'd go for a separate numpad plus either a tenkeyless or a 60% board.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

DarkJC posted:

After months of back and forth over getting a compact Topre board I went to EliteKeyboards last night and stumbled across a new version of the Leopold FC660C (not sure if it's actually new or just "new" for EliteKeyboards)

Dye-sublimated gray keycaps... I couldn't resist. $30 premium over the regular black version but it's too pretty to ignore. Can't wait for it to arrive. Not sure what I'm going to do with my old Das Keyboard... maybe take it to work to annoy my coworkers?

Fuuuuuck that's pretty

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

I got my 87-key CODE today. I was originally gonna go with the clear switches, but they sold out, and I'm very good at rationalizing sub-par purchases, so I got the greens. They're really strong, I'll say that much. I'm enjoying them well enough, though. My typing strength is roughly proportional to my concentration, so I have noticed that I'm missing a few keys here and there when typing casually. But when I get into it, I'm glad for those o-rings.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

MrBond posted:

Yeah I used a tactile pro at my old job (all Mac office). It was pretty nice. More of a classic chunky spring noise and feel than cherrys (they use alps switches).

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

MrBond posted:

I've been using a Matias Mini Quiet Keyboard at work for a few months now. It feels very solidly built, and I really like the feel of the keys.

It's not exactly what I would call quiet, though. It's more audible than the scissors switches most of my workmates use, but certainly less audible than Cherry Brown switches, which I use at home. I haven't had any workmates mention that my keyboard is making noise. But then again, they don't even mention if I wear a Sid Vicious t-shirt along with a Mickey Mouse Hawaiian shirt...

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.
Got my MassDrop led color changers yesterday. A bit tedious to apply, especially to the keys that have a metal gate on them (why are those there, they seem to work fine without them?), but it'll look pretty cool when done. Only got about halfway through last night.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I've never owned a fancy keyboard or anything but I just started a new excel and typing-heavy job and want to treat myself to a nice keyboard w/ a solid 10key. I think I've narrowed it down to the Cherry MX Browns, because they seem to be a decent compromise for an office type setting where noise is an issue(blues seem to be best for typing but also the loudest?). I've never actually used any of these, just poked around online and read reviews, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway I think I've found 3 that I like and would appreciate some input:

1) Das Keyboard. http://www.amazon.com/Das-Keyboard-...=topre+keyboard

2) Corsair Vengeance K70 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IYJD5CY/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

3) CM Storm Quickfire XT http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFi...anical+keyboard

I'm leaning towards the Corsair because I really like the volume knob and the keyboard wrist rest. Does anyone with the XT or the Das Keyboard wish they had a wrist rest? I've always had one, so maybe it's not really even necessary. The Corsair looks way too gamer-esqe for me though, which is why I'm hesitant. The Das Keyboard looks very classy and has a good reputation as far as I can tell. The XT looks similar, but as dumb as this sounds I don't like the logo on the front and the font on the keys. The XT is the cheapest by about $30, though.

Is there a place in southern california that would have all of these on display so I can test them out?

Help me choose!

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I'm using a Das with browns at home. I don't have a wristpad on it and don't care that there isn't one. People complain about the glossy of the Das and smudges but I don't look at it to really care or tell. I've been meaning to get a second one for my laptop/work setup.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

If you like the Das Keyboard and volume knobs, look at the new version: http://www.daskeyboard.com/daskeyboard-4-professional/

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I've never owned a fancy keyboard or anything but I just started a new excel and typing-heavy job and want to treat myself to a nice keyboard w/ a solid 10key. I think I've narrowed it down to the Cherry MX Browns, because they seem to be a decent compromise for an office type setting where noise is an issue(blues seem to be best for typing but also the loudest?). I've never actually used any of these, just poked around online and read reviews, so correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway I think I've found 3 that I like and would appreciate some input:

1) Das Keyboard. http://www.amazon.com/Das-Keyboard-...=topre+keyboard

2) Corsair Vengeance K70 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IYJD5CY/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

3) CM Storm Quickfire XT http://www.amazon.com/Storm-QuickFi...anical+keyboard

I'm leaning towards the Corsair because I really like the volume knob and the keyboard wrist rest. Does anyone with the XT or the Das Keyboard wish they had a wrist rest? I've always had one, so maybe it's not really even necessary. The Corsair looks way too gamer-esqe for me though, which is why I'm hesitant. The Das Keyboard looks very classy and has a good reputation as far as I can tell. The XT looks similar, but as dumb as this sounds I don't like the logo on the front and the font on the keys. The XT is the cheapest by about $30, though.

Is there a place in southern california that would have all of these on display so I can test them out?

Help me choose!

Fry's normally has the K70 and CM Quickfire on display

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

A brown switch is not going to be very quiet unless you are a delicate typist or add some o-rings. browns wont have the "click" at activation, but they will still have the "clack" as they bottom out which is not a quiet thing. Im clacking away right now on my mx clears. Its still much quieter than blues which are all the loudness of a brown + clicks. But not nearly as quiet as say topre or a quiet RD.

The das keyboard's shiny bezel sucks, i also find the shape less appealing then more minimal bezel keyboards (personal preference). And im not really a fan of the corsair's as they also have giant enclosures with a wrist rest. I think a normal keyboard with an aftermarket wrist rest is 100 times better then an integrated rest. For those reason I would probably go with something like a WASD v2 and pick my own keycaps/fonts etc.

You should get a TKL, it makes using the keyboard so much better 99% of the time you aren't using the keypad. And if you are a keypad user you can just buy an external and put it somewhere not stupid. Right side 10key layouts should be thrown in a pit of fire.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 9, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah browns are not quiet. I think it really depends on the office environment you're in and the roll of the dice with coworker personalities if you can get away with it or not. They're very 'clacky'

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Browns shouldn't be any louder than any other type of non-Blue switch.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Really depends on a lot how you type. I stopped bottoming out Browns within a week or two of getting mine, and they're fairly quiet if you don't do that.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

chippy posted:

Really depends on a lot how you type. I stopped bottoming out Browns within a week or two of getting mine, and they're fairly quiet if you don't do that.

That's what I mean. If you're bottoming out, you're bottoming out and it's going to be the same volume with any mechanical switch. If you're not, then again all switches will be the same volume save Blues for obvious reasons.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

IM FROM THE FUTURE posted:

And im not really a fan of the corsair's as they also have giant enclosures with a wrist rest.

??? Corsair's enclosures are about as small as possible L-R (only a couple mm past the keycaps), and the wrist rest is detachable. There's about a half inch of enclosure past the keys on the front which might be what you object to I guess, and who cares about the back, tbh.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Schpyder posted:

??? Corsair's enclosures are about as small as possible L-R (only a couple mm past the keycaps), and the wrist rest is detachable. There's about a half inch of enclosure past the keys on the front which might be what you object to I guess, and who cares about the back, tbh.

Giant was maybe hyperbolic, but compared with the minimalist design of so many other boards (QFR, WASD, Filco, Leopold, etc) its pretty large and arbitrary. The bottom and top of the board is needlessly large to support the wrist rest even when its removed it sticks out. Not to mention its designed with random ugly contours that look like crap (to me)compared with a clean simple enclousre. My issue isnt so much with it being to big for the desk but it being ugly. I guess I just like super minimal enclosures. If someone doesn't, the corsair might be great for them.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

That's what I mean. If you're bottoming out, you're bottoming out and it's going to be the same volume with any mechanical switch. If you're not, then again all switches will be the same volume save Blues for obvious reasons.

What im trying to point out is that a good majority of the sound a mechanical keyboard makes for many typists isnt the click of the activation in a blue or green but the clack of bottoming out on a PCB or plate, like you said this goes for all MX switches but not for topre as the rubber domes provide quite a bit of sound dampening. Matias quite touch is also designed to be less clacky.

IM FROM THE FUTURE fucked around with this message at 17:01 on May 9, 2014

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

A brown switch is not going to be very quiet unless you are a delicate typist or add some o-rings. browns wont have the "click" at activation, but they will still have the "clack" as they bottom out which is not a quiet thing. Im clacking away right now on my mx clears. Its still much quieter than blues which are all the loudness of a brown + clicks. But not nearly as quiet as say topre or a quiet RD.

The das keyboard's shiny bezel sucks, i also find the shape less appealing then more minimal bezel keyboards (personal preference). And im not really a fan of the corsair's as they also have giant enclosures with a wrist rest. I think a normal keyboard with an aftermarket wrist rest is 100 times better then an integrated rest. For those reason I would probably go with something like a WASD v2 and pick my own keycaps/fonts etc.

You should get a TKL, it makes using the keyboard so much better 99% of the time you aren't using the keypad. And if you are a keypad user you can just buy an external and put it somewhere not stupid. Right side 10key layouts should be thrown in a pit of fire.

I'm okay with the clacking, as that isn't really preventable with these it seems like. The click is what I was worried about with the blues.

As far as the Das Keyboard's bezel/enclosure, I hear you, I would prefer the enclosure to be more symmetrical and not shiny.

Are there any good external keypads? I could potentially get a TKL version, but then I'd have to spend another $40 (?) in addition to the keyboard.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
I bottom out on my blues--quite forcefully, in fact. Are o-rings something I should look into? I don't really mind the noise level because I live alone and I have a headset that blocks out most ambient noise but there might be more benefits to them than just noise level. What's the deal?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Just the noise level really. If it doesn't bother you it's fine.

Probably less chance of RSI in the long run if you train yourself to type a bit better though.

edit: Just discovered these are a thing: http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,slpads

I'm sure I never saw anyone mention these before in this thread.

chippy fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 9, 2014

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

It's not just the bottoming out, but there's also some noise when you release the key as it rises back up and suddenly hits a stop. Learning to type quietly, even on browns, means keeping your finger gently on the key as you release, so it comes to an easy stop.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

Only problem with oring and foam pads is they reduce the key travel. This bothers a lot of people (including me). Others like it.

chupacabraTERROR, you could get something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majesto...ds=filco+keypad

Combine that with a QFR and its about the same price. You might just want a fullsize keyboard if you are a big numbpad user though. But man is it nice having your mousepad where the numpad usually is.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Any thoughts or opinions here on the Max Blackbird TKL?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

Only problem with oring and foam pads is they reduce the key travel. This bothers a lot of people (including me). Others like it.

chupacabraTERROR, you could get something like this.

http://www.amazon.com/Filco-Majesto...ds=filco+keypad

Combine that with a QFR and its about the same price. You might just want a fullsize keyboard if you are a big numbpad user though. But man is it nice having your mousepad where the numpad usually is.

That looks very nice and it is about the same price, you're right. It would be nice to be able to move the mouse around. I'm hesitant though because part of the reason I'm switching from a logitech scissor-style keyboard to a mechanical one is to get better at doing Excel keyboard-only. The feel of the keys on a mechanical keyboard will let me do shortcuts and things without having to look at the keys. I suppose it would be easiest to do excel keyboard-only if the keypad were actually part of the keyboard.

IM FROM THE FUTURE
Dec 4, 2006

chupacabraTERROR posted:

That looks very nice and it is about the same price, you're right. It would be nice to be able to move the mouse around. I'm hesitant though because part of the reason I'm switching from a logitech scissor-style keyboard to a mechanical one is to get better at doing Excel keyboard-only. The feel of the keys on a mechanical keyboard will let me do shortcuts and things without having to look at the keys. I suppose it would be easiest to do excel keyboard-only if the keypad were actually part of the keyboard.

Yeah I think with something like major excel work, it makes sens to use a full sized layout (as long as you aren't left handed like me).

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I can't live without an integrated 10-key.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Aren't the new Das Keyboards using a matte finish? Or am I mistaken? From the shots on the website it doesn't look glossy like the old models.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:

Yeah I think with something like major excel work, it makes sens to use a full sized layout (as long as you aren't left handed like me).

http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=25

As for the O ring and foam pad thing: I typically bottom out when I type, and when I used MX Reds after a while my finger would start the hurt from the shock of always hitting the bottom, so it was a big help for that.

Nondescript Van fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 9, 2014

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

DarkJC posted:

Aren't the new Das Keyboards using a matte finish? Or am I mistaken? From the shots on the website it doesn't look glossy like the old models.

It looks like the cheaper model S is still glossy, while the more expensive 4 version is an aluminum enclosure.

So that brings me back to the original issue. I really like the Das Keyboard, but if I'm spending $130 on the lowend model or $170 on the highend, I might as well get a WASD for $150 and get it exactly how I want it without any of the weird keyboard shape/bezel issues.

e: At this point I think I'm just going to buy the $125 Das Keyboard from Amazon prime. $170+shipping is just too much for something that I may not even like, as this is my first mechanical keyboard. Maybe then I'll upgrade to the WASD.

e2: Actually just bought this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=23-129-005 $55 is too good to pass up, especially for something I'm trying to see if I like it. Gonna try this + a wireless 10key that I've got lying around. If I really like the setup I'll get the fancy mechanical 10key. If I hate it, I'll sell it and get the Das or maybe an X8.

moon demon fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 10, 2014

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I just bought the daskeyboard 4 pro as my first ever non-lovely keyboard and I really feel like it was worth it

volume knob is cool as hell and the aluminum feels/looks real nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 is on sale at a number of retailers for $25 right now, so I picked one up at Best Buy. I always thought an elevated palm rest area made more sense seeing as your fingers hang downward if your wrists are completely relaxed.

I've had less than 12 hours with it, and the spacebar is a piece of poo poo. If you press it in the middle, it goes down normally, but if you press it off-center with your hands in typing position, it's extremely stiff. This seems to have a widespread problem/design flaw. Has anyone had experience with this or another split keyboard? It seems pretty great otherwise so I'd love to keep it, but there's nothing ergonomic about having to pound the spacebar. My current keyboard ergnonomically okay, the Comfort Curve 2000, so it's not the end of the world if I have to return the 4000:

• Locked thread