Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

mcnealys baby posted:

I can riffle shuffle just fine, but my first reflex is definitely side shuffling if someone hands me a deck of cards. I shuffle a lot more Magic decks than any other card game.

I've been playing various card games all my life and I never learned how to riffle shuffle. My father can do it, my aunt can do it, but I can't. I know a person or two who can riffle shuffle sleeved cards. I feel inadequate so I end up doing side shuffling and breaking my deck up into stacks and then putting them back together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

mcnealys baby posted:

I can riffle shuffle just fine, but my first reflex is definitely side shuffling if someone hands me a deck of cards. I shuffle a lot more Magic decks than any other card game.
Ah that's understandable then.

suicidesteve posted:

Not all of us were blessed with the ability to riffle shuffle thank you very much for pointing out my shortcomings.
Stop that, I can't bridge the cards together so I'm not an adept at it either (yet).

Lord Of Texas
Dec 26, 2006

Mortimer posted:

Limited formats and such. I think wizards thinks bolt is some crazy powerful card now.

And boy, are they not wrong! It deserves every ounce of hype and respect it gets. Its existence is absolutely format-shaping.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Post cards with the greatest ratio between their normal and foil printing. I knew about 7E Goblin Matron, but check out Crypt rats: TCG average: $0.43, foil: $24.24!

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jorath posted:

Post cards with the greatest ratio between their normal and foil printing. I knew about 7E Goblin Matron, but check out Crypt rats: TCG average: $0.43, foil: $24.24!

A Japanese foil daze is $200ish, I think a regular Japanese daze is maybe $5. I should probably sell my Japanese foil dazes.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Jorath posted:

Easy, Mercadian Masques Dark Ritual, non foil 0.79, foil 49.02

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jorath posted:

Gitaxian probe: $0.50/$22
Dissension Spell snare: $2/$20
Spell Pierce: $1/$40
Mecadian Masques Brainstorm: $1.5/$220+
Fish Ponder: $.75/$50
M10/12 Ponder: $.75/20
Basically any 1-mana blue spell.

Edit: Basically any 1 mana blue spell that's played in any format ever.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 10, 2014

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

suicidesteve posted:

Basically any 1-mana blue spell.
Nope.

Trait Doctoring - 0.49/1.99

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

suicidesteve posted:

Mecadian Masques Brainstorm: $1.5/$220+

:vince:

The new foils have gained a lot by foiling the art as well but I think the older frames were much prettier in foil. The (generally) more intricate designs did neat things with the foil, and even the simpler backgrounds like green and artifact had a neat sheen that in my mind is less there today. Of course I'm pretty hung up on the old frames in general, but especially in blue and black I'd take an old frame foil over a new one any day.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

neetengie posted:

Ah that's understandable then.

Stop that, I can't bridge the cards together so I'm not an adept at it either (yet).

Professional shufflers (dealers) don't bridge. You cut the deck in half, put both halves on the table in a sort of /\ (though not that sharp an angle) style formation so that the corners are almost touching, then you run your thumbs up the sides to thread the two halves together. Then, keeping your hands over the halves, push the two back together into a single deck with your pinkies on the outside edges.

This is assuming you have a playmat or felt-like surface to work with though, the technique is much more difficult on a hard surface since you can't easily get your thumbs under the deck.

JerryLee posted:

The new foils have gained a lot by foiling the art as well but I think the older frames were much prettier in foil.

A big part of what makes some of the old frame foils so valuable was that foil cards were much harder to come by back then. You could go through a whole booster box and not get a single one.

Promoted Pawn fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 10, 2014

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

10th edition Time Stop is like 15 times as expensive in foil because it has no reminder text.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

vOv posted:

10th edition Time Stop is like 15 times as expensive in foil because it has no reminder text.

Yeah, it's too bad that 10E is the only set that will ever do that. Just having the words "End the turn." with a ton of dead space really makes the card stand out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

JerryLee posted:

:vince:

The new foils have gained a lot by foiling the art as well but I think the older frames were much prettier in foil. The (generally) more intricate designs did neat things with the foil, and even the simpler backgrounds like green and artifact had a neat sheen that in my mind is less there today. Of course I'm pretty hung up on the old frames in general, but especially in blue and black I'd take an old frame foil over a new one any day.

Old borders were the best. Remember when they put those sweet shooting stars on the shinies so you knew you had something really special? Those were the days.

Ah, Gerrard Capashen. The first shiny card I ever opened. I wish I could find him.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I used to have a full set of foils on whichever set they started foiling in (the one with grim monolith) and I sold it for about $700 when I bought back into magic around worldwake. Wish I didn't do that.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Homo for Hitler posted:

I used to have a full set of foils on whichever set they started foiling in (the one with grim monolith) and I sold it for about $700 when I bought back into magic around worldwake. Wish I didn't do that.

Don't feel too bad, Monolith foil is only like $130 and other than Palichron, Defense of the Heart and Radiant it's all junk foils. Totaled up, the money cards in foil are only like $330 today.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Does any competitive magic get played in super Standard? I thought I remembered no GPTs in it. Might look at moving my Muravaults by then.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Do Heroic effects count if the creature is in the graveyard? For instance, if I cast something that targets a Phalanx Leader that's already in there, does the effect still activate? It does say "whenever".

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

change my name posted:

Do Heroic effects count if the creature is in the graveyard? For instance, if I cast something that targets a Phalanx Leader that's already in there, does the effect still activate? It does say "whenever".

No, usually an ability only applies on the battlefield unless it says otherwise.

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I wonder how usable that mechanic would be: when ~ becomes the target of a spell while in the graveyard, do X.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I wonder how usable that mechanic would be: when ~ becomes the target of a spell while in the graveyard, do X.

It's probably fine on a single rare, but definitely not as a full-on mechanic. There's plenty of design space there, but the environment it's in would need to have a huge amount of graveyard targeting for it to be effective. They had trouble enough getting enough triggers for Heroic in Theros (it's why Bestow was pushed up from Born of the Gods) and I don't think I'd like to play an environment where a huge chunk of the cards don't really effect the battlefield.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I'm curious to see if any new archetypes emerge at SCG Knoxville today. The control players need to figure their poo poo out soon so this noob can figure out what deck to make :choco:

e: I'm secretly hoping American control becomes viable.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

morning wood posted:

I'm curious to see if any new archetypes emerge at SCG Knoxville today. The control players need to figure their poo poo out soon so this noob can figure out what deck to make :choco:

e: I'm secretly hoping American control becomes viable.

Hopefully "A Deck Running Prophetic Flamespeaker" is a deck today.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Rules question:

Bloodrush reads "X, discard {name of card}: Target creature gets +X/+X." Because it says discard, I have to have the card in my hand, correct? I can't first strike damage with Prophetic Flamespeaker, exile a Pyrewild Shaman, pay 2 to bloodrush and discard it from exile to give his second strike +3 damage?

edit: And literally 20 seconds after posting I think to look up Nightveil and Bloodrush, since the interaction would be the same. Nope, card has to be in your hand to discard. Boooooo.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Deckit posted:

Rules question:

Bloodrush reads "X, discard {name of card}: Target creature gets +X/+X." Because it says discard, I have to have the card in my hand, correct? I can't first strike damage with Prophetic Flamespeaker, exile a Pyrewild Shaman, pay 2 to bloodrush and discard it from exile to give his second strike +3 damage?

edit: And literally 20 seconds after posting I think to look up Nightveil and Bloodrush, since the interaction would be the same. Nope, card has to be in your hand to discard. Boooooo.
:eng101: if you had 5RR you could bloodrush twice in the same attack with the same Pyrewild Shaman for a total of +9/+3

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Evan Erwin got that coast is clear for Assassin Time™

And he doesn't do it. :(

Edit: NOW it's Assassin Time™

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

Count Bleck posted:

Evan Erwin got that coast is clear for Assassin Time™

And he doesn't do it. :(

That was disappointing.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
Fortner looks like an asshat with that stupid thing on his head. People wonder why there are stereotypes about MTG players being weird....

morning wood fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 10, 2014

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go

Deckit posted:

Rules question:

Yes. Discarding the card is part of the cost to activate Bloodrush. Activated abilities are always templated as "Cost: Effect". If you can't actually discard the card from your hand, you can't pay the Bloodrush cost.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Oh my god that Dictate of the Twin Gods!

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Dictate of the Twin Gods at the end of your turn into Spark Trooper, pretty great. I love Magic.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Boco_T posted:

Dictate of the Twin Gods at the end of your turn into Spark Trooper, pretty great. I love Magic.
Someone needs to gif this.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Boco_T posted:

:stare:

I need to see this match.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Korak posted:

Someone needs to gif this.

Still not at good as Bonfire of the Damned.gif

But still good.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

The talk of Judge promos earlier (like 10 pages ago) reminded me I'm still not a Level 1. The L2 wants me to help out at a major tournament, but major tournaments don't happen here because the country doesn't have many judges (one Level 3 judge in the entire country), as well as a bit of a past failure in terms of attendance, so it's a bit of a circular thing. I don't even know if a GPT or PTQ would count for what he wants.

Wizards, Theros would have been a good opportunity to make some tournaments in Greece. :colbert:

VV: I know it's not a requirement, but he wants to see me himself I suppose. I have helped out a L1 at a prerelease.

Serperoth fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 10, 2014

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Why does it have to be at a major tournament? That's not a requirement for L1. If your L2 won't work with you, I would contact the L3 in your country. The most major event I have certified a judge at is a Prerelease.

EDIT:

Serperoth posted:

VV: I know it's not a requirement, but he wants to see me himself I suppose. I have helped out a L1 at a prerelease.

Why can't he observe you at an FNM or Game Day? Ask him about that, and if he's unwilling, talk to your L3. They should make an effort to get you observed and tested. Stuff like that usually comes with the territory as an L3.

Brownhat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on May 10, 2014

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Brownhat posted:

Why can't he observe you at an FNM or Game Day?

Because those events are at Regular REL. L1 Judges are able to run Competitive REL events and so you want to observe a potential Judge in that environment.

Its not because Competitive REL is so much more demanding or anything either its just about establishing the very basic skills, certain Reporter functions, checking deck lists, posting pairings, announcements, time extension, keeping the tournament moving forward, etc. etc there's a lot more you need to run a successful than just knowing the IPG and CR. Most L2s want to observe a candidate in that sort of environment to see how those skills measure up, and to have the opportunity to coach and instruct if necessary.

It's certainly not a requirement but it makes it a lot harder to confidently certify someone if you only observe them in an FNM environment.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I don't think he really has the authority to decide to impose stricter requirements on you, though.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

He's not imposing stricter requirements, observation at Comp. REL is pretty standard. It's the process every single Judge I know went through.

The minimum requirements don't include observation at Comp. REL specifically for situations like this, its not always possible and so its not a requirement so we can allow some flexibility in the way L1 judges are certified but that his local L2 asked him to go through the same process that most Judges go through is hardly imposing stricter requirements.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

I guess I misunderstood the requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Speaking of judges, apparently there was an oracle change, effective immediately related to how Arbiter of Ideals and similar cards work with Constellation. Before yesterday, cards which said "that permanent is" didn't actually trigger ETB effects for the type that they added to cards, but now they do!

quote:

If a spell or ability both puts a card onto the battlefield and then creates a continuous effect that changes that card's color or type, that effect will apply simultaneously with the permanent entering the battlefield. These effects tend to say the affected objects "is [color/type] in addition to its other [colors/types]." Clearly that CE will continue to not be part of the object's copiable values, but you should consider the CE to determine if triggered abilities trigger.

Also, Brian Kibler doesn't like MODO beta. He's not wrong, but :lol: at him comparing Solforge's dev time to MODO's.

• Locked thread