Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I was reading the Sun at my in-law's today (because I'm a loving masochist) and in their :byodood::siren: HALAL MEATS SCANDAL :siren::byodood: coverage, they mentioned that the Muslim Council of Britain and Shechita UK had released a joint open letter in support of the Sun's campaign for compulsory labelling, in which they said:

quote:

It would offer all consumers genuine choice, whether they are motivated by animal welfare, religious observance, or even intolerance of anyone who looks or worships differently to them.
:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

(Conservatives do some wacky batshit thing where everyone votes again and again until the right chap wins more than half the vote).

It's the AV preferential system except you get to keep coming back for more champers - the plebs would never understand!

Bonus material: Cameron was actually in second place after the first round of voting. Remember this guy?

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Watching the EU commission presidential candidates debating tonight, the size of the gulf between what Cameron wants/aims to extract from the EU and what the prospective presidents want is just mind-bogglingly vast. Even the conservative candidate was arguing for things like a unified Euro army, a unified European immigration policy for non-EU citizens, and funds to support EU citizens to migrate in the union to find employment.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

LemonDrizzle posted:

Watching the EU commission presidential candidates debating tonight, the size of the gulf between what Cameron wants/aims to extract from the EU and what the prospective presidents want is just mind-bogglingly vast. Even the conservative candidate was arguing for things like a unified Euro army, a unified European immigration policy for non-EU citizens, and funds to support EU citizens to migrate in the union to find employment.

I would assume that you become in the running for EU president either by being super pro-federalism or being super anti-EU, depending on the climate for the group as a whole. I can't see someone being a candidate and saying "well I like the EU but I don't want us to be too close" which is what the main three parties all are (except possibly the Lib-Dems?).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cameron isn't going to do gently caress all - even if THE GLORIOUS AND MOST HALLOWED EU REFERENDUM, YEARNED FOR SINCE THE DAWN OF HUMANITY happens he'll be arguing to stay in. The most he's likely to get are things Merkel is down with (like eroding workers' rights), there isn't really anything to force a compromise with

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

QuantumCrayons posted:

I would assume that you become in the running for EU president either by being super pro-federalism or being super anti-EU, depending on the climate for the group as a whole. I can't see someone being a candidate and saying "well I like the EU but I don't want us to be too close" which is what the main three parties all are (except possibly the Lib-Dems?).

Well, the Commission is supposed to represent and act for the EU as a whole (compared to the Parliament which represents the citizens and the Council which represents the national governments) so yes, you do have to be broadly in favour of the thing to get enough support to be a credible candidate. The hard nationalist/eurosceptic parties are only predicted to win ~140 seats in the Parliament (out of 766) and haven't nominated any presidential candidates in any event (unsurprisingly, they're staggeringly incapable of working with one-another), so the candidates' positions range from cautious support of EU expansion to "federalization will fix everything, cure cancer, and bring about the second coming."

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe
I like to spoil my ballot paper in appreciation of the chartists and suffragettes .

Because I can, thanks to them.

My favourite suffragette anecdote is looking after a slightly confused old lady in the day room of a geriatric ward as a student nurse. The cricket was on telly. She turned round and told me that she was very good at bowling over arm because her brother taught her. I asked her if she used to play cricket and was treated with scorn. She got her brother to teach her over arm bowling so she could teach other suffragettes to throw bricks a longer distance.

She proudly told me that they put in every window down Oxford Street.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Why the gently caress does it cost 300 pounds for a student visa to the UK?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

shrike82 posted:

Why the gently caress does it cost 300 pounds for a student visa to the UK?

Because £_£

Also if you try coming over here I'm voting UKIP

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

baka kaba posted:

Because £_£

Waste of time. They're fine with people paying to come here. They are not racist, you know.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

baka kaba posted:

Because £_£

Too late and what's worse, I'm doing an MBA.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

General China posted:

I like to spoil my ballot paper in appreciation of the chartists and suffragettes .

Because I can, thanks to them.

My favourite suffragette anecdote is looking after a slightly confused old lady in the day room of a geriatric ward as a student nurse. The cricket was on telly. She turned round and told me that she was very good at bowling over arm because her brother taught her. I asked her if she used to play cricket and was treated with scorn. She got her brother to teach her over arm bowling so she could teach other suffragettes to throw bricks a longer distance.

She proudly told me that they put in every window down Oxford Street.

Quoting, because this is amazing and should be repeated :sun:

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

The suffragettes were loving hard core, dude.

I really hope Edith Garrud is featured in that film they're making in some way, although I think it's set earlier on (and will feature Meryl Streep not even attempting a Mancunian accent as Emmeline Pankhurst).

Wiki posted:

In 1913, as a response to the so-called Cat and Mouse Act whereby Suffragette leaders on hunger strikes could legally be released from jail and then re-arrested, the WSPU established a thirty-member, all-woman protection unit referred to as "the Bodyguard", the "Jiujitsuffragettes" and the "Amazons". Edith Garrud became the trainer of the Bodyguard and taught them jujutsu and the use of Indian clubs as defensive weapons. Their lessons took place in a succession of secret locations to avoid the attention of the police. The Bodyguard fought a number of well-publicised hand-to-hand combats with police officers who were attempting to arrest their leaders.

On several occasions they were also able to stage successful escapes and rescues, making use of tactics such as disguise and the use of decoys to confuse the police. Journalists coined the term "suffrajitsu" - a portmanteau of "suffragette" and "jiujitsu" - to describe their techniques of self defence, sabotage and subterfuge.

A Suffragette Armoury, March 1914.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 10, 2014

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

shrike82 posted:

Too late and what's worse, I'm doing an MBA.

How does your MBA course fee compare to the visa fee? That's why they charge so much for the visa. Because they can.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

60,000 GBP for 2 years.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Why a UK rather than US MBA? You're a US citizen, right?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

shrike82 posted:

60,000 GBP for 2 years.

Jesus making GBS threads Christ!

Right that's it. I'm starting a business, it'll be one of those 'get the scroungers off their backsides and into honest work' cons the government loves. The ones where they pay you £14k for convincing someone to be self-employed and stop claiming JSA.

Instead of making them self employed though I will get them to sign up for the MBA programme I am offering, the teaching of which I will sub-contract to an Eastern European professor who came here in the back of a lorry looking to claim benefits.

Huge profits for me. Your move IDS.

[I'm doing Great Britain PLC properly, right?]

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

LemonDrizzle posted:

Why a UK rather than US MBA? You're a US citizen, right?

I wanted to spend some time in Europe and given the choice of the two top MBA programs in Europe, I didn't want to be in France.

Expect me to post/bitch a lot more in UKMT, especially about landlords.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

shrike82 posted:

I wanted to spend some time in Europe and given the choice of the two top MBA programs in Europe, I didn't want to be in France.

Expect me to post/bitch a lot more in UKMT, especially about landlords.

Are you doing your MBA at Imperial, if so we have found a brilliant room for you to rent

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Do it in Scotland for chrissakes.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

The poor Farage got utterly barraged by nasty Scots again

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Coohoolin posted:

I'm pretty sure Shrike would be driven out of Scotland by an outraged citizenry.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

BBC posted:

UKIP leader Nigel Farage has told a rally in Edinburgh that his party "will win a seat" for the first time in Scotland in the upcoming European Parliament elections. He said UKIP would then have a "legitimate voice" in Scotland.
Sunday Times:

Sun on Sunday:

The Libdems got their MEP in Scotland elected with 11.5% last time according to Wikipedia. I don't know much about the PR system in use here, but it doesn't seem impossible. :(

OTOH:

Edinburgh News posted:

Despite the far-right group Britain First promising to use armoured vehicles to “protect” Mr Farage last night, the handful of members who did turn up were warned off by protesters, with chants of “Nazi scum, get off our streets”.
:unsmith:

bitterandtwisted fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 10, 2014

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

The Libdems got their MEP in Scotland elected with 11.5% last time according to Wikipedia, so it doesn't seem impossible. :(

I find it difficult to take any of the EU polling in regards to Scotland seriously; no way are the Tories going to gain votes in Scotland after the last 4 years of government. Same with Lib Dems, the 10% is way too high a number (only a 1% decline) after their tanking in the last Scottish election.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Please don't base ideas on Scottish voting behaviour on a cross-break of a UK-wide poll with a sample size of around 100. That's literally a Margin of Error of around 10%; makes it practically useless to judge anything about voting behaviour.

Saying that: the last proper poll that I saw (a few weeks ago now) had the Tories on 12% and UKIP on 10%: so it is something that's not out of the question though :smith:. Although I don't see UKIP getting much more than that right now: the Tories are right down to their core, and I don't see that many UKIP voters floating around in Labour or the SNP...

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
The regional samples in those polls (including the Scottish one) are tiny - the national estimates are meaningful but the regional ones will have gargantuan margins of error.

e: beaten by IceAge

Coohoolin posted:

As a US citizen he wouldn't be eligible for free undergraduate tuition, and I'm not sure that you can get free tuition for an MBA in Scotland in any event. Also, Scotland doesn't have any top drawer business schools.

Pasco
Oct 2, 2010

QuantumCrayons posted:

I find it difficult to take any of the EU polling in regards to Scotland seriously; no way are the Tories going to gain votes in Scotland after the last 4 years of government. Same with Lib Dems, the 10% is way too high a number (only a 1% decline) after their tanking in the last Scottish election.

You can't compare polling for the EU elections to the Local or National elections, they behave in completely different ways for a number of reasons.

It is perfectly possible that people who would never vote for the Tories / Lib Dems / UKIP / whoever in national elections would then vote for them in these EU elections.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

LemonDrizzle posted:

As a US citizen he wouldn't be eligible for free undergraduate tuition, and I'm not sure that you can get free tuition for an MBA in Scotland in any event. Also, Scotland doesn't have any top drawer business schools.
No, it's only undergrad degrees that are free. For postgrads universities can charge what they like!

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

Pasco posted:

It is perfectly possible that people who would never vote for the Tories / Lib Dems / UKIP / whoever in national elections would then vote for them in these EU elections.
I do realise this, but the Lib Dem collapse in Scotland has been seen in both the Scottish elections in 2011 and the council elections in 2012. It's not unrealistic to expect this to continue, surely? Not because of policy, but because people don't tend to trust them as a party to represent their promises.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/british-public-wrong-about-nearly-everything-survey-shows-8697821.html

We gobble up whatever bullshit the politicians serve us with relish!

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Pasco posted:

There was a letter in the Evening Standard yesterday from some idiot who's doing exactly that. A protest vote.
Voting UKIP to teach politicians a lesson is from the same school of thought as 'punching your children to stop them being naughty'.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Hmmm, the last two proper Scottish polls are ~3 weeks old and put UKIP on 10%, so Farage is right - they only need a very small swing to nick an MEP from the SNP.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Who had 'total bollocks' for this trojan horse nonsense? http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-27355014

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

LemonDrizzle posted:

Hmmm, the last two proper Scottish polls are ~3 weeks old and put UKIP on 10%, so Farage is right - they only need a very small swing to nick an MEP from the SNP.

They'd be nicking one from the Tories I imagine. 2 SNP/2 Labour are guaranteed: the fights are between SNP/Labour for a third one and between the Tories/UKIP for the final one...

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

There was a letter in the Evening Standard yesterday from some idiot who's doing exactly that. A protest vote.
Voting UKIP to teach politicians a lesson is from the same school of thought as 'punching your children to stop them being naughty'.

No, it's like teaching the kid who was playing with matches a lesson by giving sweets to the one who burned your house down. Every vote for UKIP is another step to the right for UK politics, and anyone who claims that voting for them is a protest vote is basically protesting that the Tories aren't loving up poo poo hard or fast enough.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

notaspy posted:

Who had 'total bollocks' for this trojan horse nonsense? http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-27355014

Ooh, ooh it was me, Sir!

Brilliant with the other link about most people being wrong about everything.

StoneOfShame
Jul 28, 2013

This is the best kitchen ever.

notaspy posted:

Everyone, I spoke to really. Except of course for my Dad who will still say he can see it happening and I should just take a walk through Small Heath if I don't believe him.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

IceAgeComing posted:

They'd be nicking one from the Tories I imagine. 2 SNP/2 Labour are guaranteed: the fights are between SNP/Labour for a third one and between the Tories/UKIP for the final one...

I'm not so sure about that - I suspect that the Tories are already at their floor in terms of support and the only Scots who are still voting for them are so thoroughly dyed in the wool as to be immune to UKIP's charms. I think they're more likely to pick off a bit of soft Labour or SNP support; taking a percentage point or so from either (or ~0.5% from both) would give a 2/2/1/1 split.

e: looking at the polls again, SNP support has fallen by 7-10 percentage points since the start of the year while the Labour and UKIP votes are up by 3 or 4% each and no other party's support has increased appreciably so it does seem that UKIP has some pull on the SNP vote.

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 10, 2014

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
This is the latest thing to get the racists on facebook riled up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Mr Cuddles posted:

This is the latest thing to get the racists on facebook riled up

do people not understand that they can get these too?

• Locked thread