Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Beaten anyway, but here's a link for those Taiyou no Ie bonus chapters. They're a riot.

"So I made a manga out of it." :lol:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Huh, never expected an explanation for the age difference in Taiyou no Ie. That's actually kind of sweet. EDIT: Bah, beaten.

Also Kakukaku Shikajika linked. Well, considering she did start drawing this autobiography for a reason, it's bound to get kind of meta.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
It's all good. I actually really enjoy the meta stuff too. The mention of Mama no Tenparist in the text from her pal made me curious about it, but I can't find a translation anywhere.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, no scanlations exist for that as of yet. Also slightly random sidenote, did not know that Tonari no Seki-kun's mangaka was her younger brother.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Chapter 43 of Taiyou no Ie is out, and it's a bittersweet goodbye to the house of the sun. I hope it's only the beginning of a new life for them and this isn't the beginning of the epilogue, but we'll see. It's adorable and so far, this series has been absolutely outstanding, funny, cute, and with some great drama too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Taiyou no Ie seems to always do 4 chapters per volume, so I figure either there's one more chapter to bring it up to a total of 12 volumes or 5 more to bring it up to 13. Going to assume the latter for now, there's still a decent amount that they could/should work through. Or it could just keep going I guess.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

A new Kimi ni Todoke came out just the other day, in it Big Stuff Happens, and we learn that Sawako's text messages are pretty much exactly like you'd expect.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Chapter 43 of Taiyou no Ie is out, and it's a bittersweet goodbye to the house of the sun. I hope it's only the beginning of a new life for them and this isn't the beginning of the epilogue, but we'll see. It's adorable and so far, this series has been absolutely outstanding, funny, cute, and with some great drama too.

poo poo's getting penultimate up in here.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

a kitten posted:

A new Kimi ni Todoke came out just the other day, in it Big Stuff Happens, and we learn that Sawako's text messages are pretty much exactly like you'd expect.

:smith::unsmith::smith::unsmith:

I approve of this Big Stuff.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

I'll admit, I've only seen the first season of the anime, but...

Big stuff:
One of the characters buys another character a birthday present, but it isn't the right one!
Two characters fall asleep together while holding hands?
A kiss with tongue?
Sawako fails a test because she is so in love with <guy I can't remember the name of>?
All the rumours about Sawako turn out to be true and the manga is passed on to Junji Ito (in which case, I would read it)?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The first season of the anime is bland, the second season is really good.

Kimi ni Todoke is really good for the side characters and that chapter is great and has impact if you've actually been reading the series. coming to terms with the fact that she wants to be selfish and not let him go off to college where she'll never see him because she truly loves him, after denying herself for many chapters, was a big step!

I thought you'd know better than to judge a series by just jumping into it in what is likely an epilogue chapter built around the character growth over the course of the entire series. If you'd been reading/watching it from the beginning that would be one thing, but jumping into the tail-end after only seeing the first anime season is a bad idea. Kimi ni Todoke is a slow burn and not one you can just hop into like that.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Apr 29, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Relax, I'm only joking. I haven't started reading it at the end. I was just hypothesising what 'Big Stuff' might be based on the first anime season. I enjoyed the side characters, but the main relationship didn't hook me, so I decided not to watch the second season or read the manga, despite liking the art style. The Chara song in the first season end credits is great.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Well, you were not too far off with two of your Big Stuffs(though they were handled considerably better), so I thought you had read the latest chapter and nothing else before it what with your caveat. :v:

Also go watch the second season jerk, it focuses way more on the secondary characters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think I'm a bad KnT fan because I never really cared about that couple to be honest, at least when compared to the other two. As individual characters they're great but daaaaaaamn it's been dragged out for so long.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
What's the verdict on the manga Life? I kinda want to read it.

Also, KnT never makes me feel to go D'awww. :3: Everything about the characters is just so adorable.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Violet_Sky posted:

What's the verdict on the manga Life? I kinda want to read it.

I've read all of Life and I have to say it's a very visceral manga. It's characters and their actions are rather extreme to the point where it gets soap opera-y and sometimes I can't help but compare it to Koe no Katachi which is way more nuanced and painful in its depiction of human interactions and it actually hits you in the gut whereas Life is kind of not that nuanced even though it tries to be.

Still, the art is really expressive and exaggerated and kind of exciting. The main friendship in the manga is probably the best part, but I will warn you the first half of the series is really painful and by that I think there's a high probability of making one uncomfortable because of the awful things that happen to the protagonist.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
Ah My Goddess 305 out. Only three more to go. :(

http://www.mangahere.com/manga/ah_my_goddess/c305/

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Seems like a new series from Shimura Takako has been making the rounds:

http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/musume-no-iede-r11492

Titled "Musume no Iede"

It's fairly interesting to start, I noticed it right away because of her distinctive art style.

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014
Is this thread the right place to bring up Revolutionary Girl Utena?
I just finished it and... wow. I need an adult.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Re: Shimura's new series.

Awesome, thanks for finding that! I knew she had something new, but not when it might be translated. Not sure what the hell it's actually going to be about, but she's done two of my favorites so I'll definitely be giving it a shot. Is the one-shot translated anywhere?

And also hoping that he translation gets better...because yikes.

uuuummm posted:

Is this thread the right place to bring up Revolutionary Girl Utena?
I just finished it and... wow. I need an adult.
Presumably yeah. It's a hell of a show isn't it?

a kitten fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 7, 2014

uuuummm
Apr 13, 2014

a kitten posted:

Presumably yeah. It's a hell of a show isn't it?

Yuuup. My take on the ending is that Utena revolutionised Himemiya's world by convincing her to change. The swords turned on Utena as her dreams of being a 'prince' were crushed and that version of Utena disappeared. I'd love to hear more interpretations though, I'm not good at thinking for myself.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

uuuummm posted:

Yuuup. My take on the ending is that Utena revolutionised Himemiya's world by convincing her to change. The swords turned on Utena as her dreams of being a 'prince' were crushed and that version of Utena disappeared. I'd love to hear more interpretations though, I'm not good at thinking for myself.

(Utena spoiler) My interpretation was that after all that, Utena could no longer stay in the illusion-world of Ohtori. And Anthy no longer needed to stay there, so she stuck around briefly and taunted her brother then left as well.

And, yeah, it was quite a show.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
New Chihayafuru! Of course the Meijin has a really cool backstory, but this goes beyond what I expected. :allears:

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

The Devil Tesla posted:

New Chihayafuru! Of course the Meijin has a really cool backstory, but this goes beyond what I expected. :allears:

Here's the chapter at a site that doesn't shrink their images. As for the update itself, it was certainly something. It's a shame he's got no real dreams of his own.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Another Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun bonus chapter.

I kind of wish we could get more stories with Takaya (a spin-off?). What few scenes he gets are always quite amusing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I apologize if this has already been posted -- I admit I'm not a regular watcher of this thread -- but there's a really neat and heartwarming/cute romance manga out: Between Smooth and Rough. The translation is really excellent and professional, too, I hope the group stays with it!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Haha, "perhaps that leopard gecko I saved a year ago has turned into a girl?":confused::confused:

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 10, 2014

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

Haha, "perhaps that leopard gecko I save a year ago has turned into a girl?":confused::confused:

Mr Serpent.

Would you like some juice?

OK, this is pretty cute so far.

~uguu~

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 10, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Whispered Words / Sasameki Koto Volume 1 ships today!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

a kitten posted:

Whispered Words / Sasameki Koto Volume 1 ships today!

I really wish I could afford to buy that. :3:

But I will never forgive them for not making a second anime season.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 15, 2014

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
What is the name of this series, it has great art

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Don't read it, the ape love interest is really possessive of the fish protagonist.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah but the faces and expressions are great.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just don't see why people keep trying to deny the obvious yuri subtext between these two.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
So a scanlation group specializing in final chapters decided to release the last chapter of Ah My Goddess. Pretty generic ending honestly. I'm more surprised how you can jump from chapter 305 to 308 and apparently nothing of significance happened in those chapters.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
KnT 89

Well, that was nice. Wonder if Kurumi will be part of the main group for the rest of this (presumed) home stretch.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Poil posted:

I really wish I could afford to buy that. :3:

But I will never forgive them for not making a second anime season.

That anime was the most :effort: thing. They could have made some attempt to tighten the pacing for TV but instead they just straight-up animated every panel with every piece of incidental dialog and internal monologue left intact, with the end result being a slow, nearly motionless slog. And of course they stopped before getting to any of the good chapters.

I know it's just an ad to promote the manga but I have a hard time coming up with another show that's more transparently so.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Allarion posted:

So a scanlation group specializing in final chapters decided to release the last chapter of Ah My Goddess. Pretty generic ending honestly. I'm more surprised how you can jump from chapter 305 to 308 and apparently nothing of significance happened in those chapters.

I thought that was cute, though I'm expecting a one shot epilogue someday.

I hope 306 and 307 focus on all of the mortal characters, for closure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Skychrono posted:

I thought that was cute, though I'm expecting a one shot epilogue someday.

I hope 306 and 307 focus on all of the mortal characters, for closure.

The witnesses should have been the two broes from the motorcycle club. :colbert: