Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Should I try to 100% FFX-2 my first time through? Or should I just play normally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Play it normally, it's not worth the trouble for a first playthrough.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Play it normally, it's not worth the trouble for a first playthrough.
Depending on who you ask, it's never worth the trouble.

So yeah, play it normally.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
What about FFX, is it worth it getting the celestial weapons/capturing mobs for the arena?

I'm torn between just finishing it or trying to finish as many sidequests as possible.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I'm torn between just finishing it or trying to finish as many sidequests as possible.

For God's sake finish the game! FFX's sidequests are insane.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Should I try to 100% FFX-2 my first time through? Or should I just play normally?

I say do it. The annoying trophy is oversouling every enemy, getting 100% isn't hard at all if you're used to following guides. I guess if you like wandering around aimlessly and "exploring" or whatever then don't go for 100% otherwise you see more of the game and get rewarded with useful items if you go for it.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

What about FFX, is it worth it getting the celestial weapons/capturing mobs for the arena?

FFX is really grindy and the superbosses require max stats which is killing the same enemy 15x for like 6 different stats, I don't really recommend it. I'd try my hand at the celestial minigames so you can see what everyone else is complaining about though.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
I'm a bit turned off by the "really grindy" so I think I'll just beat the game. Thanks!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Kanfy posted:

FFT had the most bizarre music track names though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuFTYOUBpGw

Well okay, Shadow Hearts still has it beat. Can't compete with the old classics like "Coffee With Bullet", "Callback from Jesus", "But-Dad-Dead-Bed" and "Sicking loving".

How can you forget Coffin Fetish?

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Is it worth doing the Creature Creator for FFX-2? I don't really want to bother with capturing and stuff, can I just skip it and do the regular storyline or will I be missing out?

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Is it worth doing the Creature Creator for FFX-2? I don't really want to bother with capturing and stuff, can I just skip it and do the regular storyline or will I be missing out?

You're missing out on a really fantastic moral crisis when you realise all the monsters you've been slaying could actually have retained their memories from when they were human, and there are inexpensive items available for restoring their real personalities so there's really no reason to put them to death, except the devices are manufactured by Shinra who doesn't supply them for general sale, instead keeping them for himself to dole out one-at-a-time as prizes in his to-the-death brawling tournaments between "friendly" fiends (with their human minds already restored) and the occasional actual human being.

But aside from that, it's not like capturing fiends in FFX if that's what you're thinking, it's all menu-driven and if nothing else it's a handy place to grind or fight specific monsters (for blue bullets etc.) without having to physically walk around getting into fights.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 10, 2014

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

You hardly need to do it at all, but the first tournament will net you one of the previously International Version only dressspheres, and it's pretty awesome. I just did it with the girls partway through Chapter 1, I think, so you could treat it like just another sidequest.

Later on, you can get some good curative items from just winning rounds in later tournaments if you can't carry any more capture spheres, which is good if you want to run through some of the harder bits in Chapter 5 underleveled. (Yes, Alchemist's Stash is pretty overpowered, but actual items are so much quicker, it's good to have both options.)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

CrusherEAGLE posted:

You can skip it, although it does offer a way to get the mascot dressphere without having to get an episode complete for every area.

Edit: You don't even need to use creature creator to get it, since the fiend arena isn't monster only

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CrusherEAGLE posted:

I'm a bit turned off by the "really grindy" so I think I'll just beat the game. Thanks!

If you've gotten all the temple treasures so far getting Yuna's celestial weapon is both fun and nets you some extra summons and involves very little grinding. It also turns her into a monstrous spell queen.

For slightly more time investment but eventual guaranteed reward go capture crazy and you'll get Auron's celestial weapon as well as tons of valuable items to upgrade your other characters weapons/armor.

Having those two alone will turn the endgame into a slight breeze against your damage-limit breaking armor ignoring soldiers of death.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
This is not the FFX-2 I remember. Did they add dresspheres? I don't remember this Festivalist business at all...nor a Psychic dress sphere? The heck? I mean, don't get me wrong, both are awesome, but I wasn't expecting brand new jobs! What's even the deal with this psychic job, is it just another damage dealer?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Yes, Festivalist and Psychic are new jobs that were added to the International Version, which is what was made into the HD Remake.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Depends on whether you like your difficulty curves really easy (using YRP) or dumb baby on autopilot (using creatures)

BottledBodhisvata posted:

This is not the FFX-2 I remember. Did they add dresspheres? I don't remember this Festivalist business at all...nor a Psychic dress sphere? The heck? I mean, don't get me wrong, both are awesome, but I wasn't expecting brand new jobs! What's even the deal with this psychic job, is it just another damage dealer?

There's a shitload of new content compared to the NA version.

For YRP, psychic is meh early game but endgame it's about as powerful as mascot since there's a "negate all damage" ability. for creatures, the psychic dressphere gives them the eject ability which will let you win tournaments (and get cool items) much earlier than you would otherwise be able to.

Festivalist is like a better version of black mage which is to say it's not very powerful

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Another X-2 question. I just jumped a gap in the Calm Lands that in X led to that hidden summoner's temple. It's blocked off now, and I can't seem to jump back the way I came. How...how do I get off this cliff? I can't seem to jump off anywhere!

EDIT: Figured it out. The platforming mechanics in this game are wonky as gently caress.

Speaking of wonky mechanics, how the gently caress does a Gun Mage actually learn enemy skills? I get hit by them, I kill the enemy, I learn nothing.

BottledBodhisvata fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 10, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Another X-2 question. I just jumped a gap in the Calm Lands that in X led to that hidden summoner's temple. It's blocked off now, and I can't seem to jump back the way I came. How...how do I get off this cliff? I can't seem to jump off anywhere!

EDIT: Figured it out. The platforming mechanics in this game are wonky as gently caress.

Speaking of wonky mechanics, how the gently caress does a Gun Mage actually learn enemy skills? I get hit by them, I kill the enemy, I learn nothing.

You just need to get hit by them. The issue might be that there is actually a fairly limited set of abilities you can actually learn (and several of them are one time only things with wonky unlock requirements like loving baralai and his drill shot). As long as you take the attack you'll be fine even if you die.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Barudak posted:

You just need to get hit by them. The issue might be that there is actually a fairly limited set of abilities you can actually learn (and several of them are one time only things with wonky unlock requirements like loving baralai and his drill shot). As long as you take the attack you'll be fine even if you die.

Huh, weird...so when I scan a monster and it gives me a yellow highlighted skill, that's NOT an indication that it's a learnable skill? 'cause Rikku's taking Blade Rondos across the chin and learnin' nuffin'.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Huh, weird...so when I scan a monster and it gives me a yellow highlighted skill, that's NOT an indication that it's a learnable skill? 'cause Rikku's taking Blade Rondos across the chin and learnin' nuffin'.

Blade Rondo is not a blue-bullet skill.

Also; be aware that only the character hit learns the blue-bullet skill. Again, gently caress you Baralai.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Barudak posted:

Actually, certain one-time Blue Bullets are no longer missable thanks to the Fiend Arena and Battle Simulator. If you have the time and patience, you can win some ridiculous poo poo from it.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I forget, when do the Dark Aeons get released? Is it soon as you have access to the airship?

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

PTizzle posted:

I forget, when do the Dark Aeons get released? Is it soon as you have access to the airship?

Yes. So make sure to pick up the Sun Crest before leaving Zanarkand.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Saigyouji posted:

Yes. So make sure to pick up the Sun Crest before leaving Zanarkand.

Dark Shiva, at least, you can backtrack to challenge once you get out of Bevelle. I think the rest of them wait politely for the airship though.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
For all the...tonal issues of FFX-2, I have to say how incredibly impressed I am by the gameplay devotion this game demonstrates.

If you compared FFX-2 to FFXIII-2, it's like night and day. Both are sort of "remixes" of the preceding game, featuring reused environments and assets. 13-2 has more original areas, but cheapens it by reusing THEM over and over. X-2 has almost no new areas (and the ones they do add are like...the MOST generic "dungeon" mazes, brown stone and torches and ew). But X-2 adds in a robust job system, a battle system that may very well be the best the series has produced, a non-linear exploration model of gameplay, with almost every explorable area featuring some sort of event or challenge per chapter...it's kind of a pity that there's a constant stream of sort of bland minigames, because fighting in this game is such a dream.

FF13-2, on the other hand, does very little to enhance the battle system, retaining the exact same model of its predecessor and adding in a monster-raising sim (which X-2 also did) that doesn't really add all that much, it has five explorable areas and a plot that is somehow even MORE incomprehensible and stupid than X-2's. X-2 is kind of a weird squeaky Charlie's Angels via Japan kind of affair, but at least it has actual characters. Serah has no personality, Noel never changes at all, and Caius has got to be the absolute worst villain in the entire series.

I really really want a new FF game to use X-2's job system.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

PTizzle posted:

Once you reach Calm Lands, you can definitely fight Ixion and Shiva; probably Valefor as well. Maybe Magus Sisters and Yojimbo too, but I don't remember offhand. Either way, for Yojimbo you need to finish that sidestory's little plot beats first.

Bahamut's as soon as you beat Yunalesca and see the Airship. Ifrit needs the airship to even reach, so that one's later. Anima might be at the same time as Bahamut, or it might be as soon as you reach Zanarkand proper. Because of the dumb requirements to make her spawn, can't say I ever tried until I was more than ready to take her out anyway.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The story of X-2 is not incomprehensible, it's just dumb.

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
Cheers for answers re: Dark Aeons. I grabbed all the essential stuff (was burned when I was younger by the Sun Crest so I made sure of that one), just want to know if I should be treading lightly when I'm in certain areas.

Yuna's celestial weapon always seems so simple and straight forward compared to the others. I'm enjoying the sidequests a lot this time around, just have to make sure I don't go too OTT before I finish the game again.

I'm running with an original Aurochs blitzball line-up and it's a lot of fun for something different, but predictably its become insanely easy once they've levelled up a reasonable amount. Datto and Botta are still fairly useless (although the former gets ridiculously high SP iirc) but Jassu is excellent after he learns a few techs and Keepa is surprisingly good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

For all the...tonal issues of FFX-2

There's no tone issues if you remember this is just an unofficial Charlie's Angels game.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

The story of X-2 is not incomprehensible, it's just dumb.

Why would anyone play an FF for the story anyway?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

forbidden lesbian posted:

People always say this but I'm pretty sure most people play games for the whole package rather than just one aspect.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Because the series is known for its amazing and deep stories, like the one where the heroes kill an emperor but the emperor conquers hell so the heroes kill the emperor again, or the one where the heroes have to stop a tree from ruling another dimension with the help of a turtle.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Mega64 posted:

Because the series is known for its amazing and deep stories, like the one where the heroes kill an emperor but the emperor conquers hell so the heroes kill the emperor again, or the one where the heroes have to stop a tree from ruling another dimension with the help of a turtle.

FFV's story (or at least the GBA translation of it) is amazing and I will fight you irl if you claim otherwise.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Pureauthor posted:

FFV's story (or at least the GBA translation of it) is amazing and I will fight you irl if you claim otherwise.

Agreed, it's basically the best Saturday Morning Cartoon ever.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agreed, I like my anime dress up games because they end up being the most fun

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Final Fantasy X has a really good story though? I mean, it's not Death of a Salesman or something, but it is a thoughtful journey with decent characters and a lush world to explore, that hits the right emotional chords right and has a somber tone. Final Fantasy IX also has a fantastic story, a love letter to classic Final Fantasy, Shakespeare and Blade Runner all meshed up in one.

I think a lot of people enjoy Final Fantasies for the story. FFVIII was probably the only PSX-era Final Fantasy with an honestly terribly-done plot, and even that had a lot of potential that just got...misused.

Final Fantasy 13 is garbage but everybody knows that.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Kanfy posted:

People always say this but I'm pretty sure most people play games for the whole package rather than just one aspect.

In RPGs? No. Hell, even in this day and age for several genres, no. RPGs especially are where the "Story over gameplay" argument is very prevalent and people would be satisfied with the actual game being garbage if the story and characters are good (See: Persona 2 and Drakengard). It's especially weird to see in Final Fantasy, a series that always tries to diversify its gameplay between each iteration and those become known for their stories rather than gameplay.

This is not to say there aren't a good number of people who play games for the whole package, but it's not exactly uncommon for there to be a good number of people who play games for one reason and one reason alone.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 11, 2014

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I claim otherwise :twisted:

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Agreed, I like my anime dress up games because they end up being the most fun

This is why Bravely Default is my favorite Final Fantasy.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Put Edea in a pirate's outfit and make Ringabel into Disco king? Why yes, Bravely Default, I would like to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

If you compared FFX-2 to FFXIII-2, it's like night and day. Both are sort of "remixes" of the preceding game, featuring reused environments and assets. 13-2 has more original areas, but cheapens it by reusing THEM over and over. X-2 has almost no new areas (and the ones they do add are like...the MOST generic "dungeon" mazes, brown stone and torches and ew). But X-2 adds in a robust job system, a battle system that may very well be the best the series has produced, a non-linear exploration model of gameplay, with almost every explorable area featuring some sort of event or challenge per chapter...it's kind of a pity that there's a constant stream of sort of bland minigames, because fighting in this game is such a dream.

It's not exactly "night and day" when they both do some things better and worse than the other. I totally agree that 10-2 comes out stronger overall but that's mainly because the battle system can carry just about everything else.

Honestly I don't think the reuse of locations in 13-2 cheapens them at all - there's a lot that's familiar but it's rarely actually the same. Each alternate-timeline version of an area is the same broad shape, but what you do there tends to be completely recontextualised. There are a couple of lame optional places like Oerba that don't change much, but typically you'll get one linear, hostile version of a place where you're fighting your way to the end like a dungeon, and then another more open version where the focus is on exploration and sidequests like a town. It's also directly tied into the story that you would be seeing the same places under different circumstances.

I actually think 10-2's approach to reusing assets (ie. copy-pasting the entire map from the first game) does more to cheapen it. I guess it's story-appropriate that you'd be walking the same road and all, but still. There's very little sense of exploration left, and some places (like Macalania Woods, which is kind of huge and empty) don't really fit the style and scale of the new game. The idea that you couldn't just "take another route through the woods" (have a new dungeon with the same assets, like 13-2 does for its returning locations) makes it feel like you've literally seen the whole world already and it's tiny.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 11, 2014