Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Alan Smithee posted:

Is it even an exact science? I know people mentioned putting down the sign or cracked orb in Drangleic in just the right spot but even that seems like a rain dance

1. I've honestly never had issues getting summoned, sometimes it takes a minute or so, but I like the safety of dying as a shade

6. I'm actually curious if your odds of being invaded are always the same even when invaded once. I haven't had that happen thank God. One is enough.

8. For me it's the other way around though I'm sure it goes both ways equally. For the most part people will bow, I'd say a good 25% think they can get cheap shots in (which doesn't work)

Yeah, for 1. It's not an issue really, I just can go back to back to back summoning people. With the only cooldown being how long it takes for them to show up in my world.

I am constantly being cheap shotted in the middle of a bow, it doesn't really matter though. It really seems like 90% of the people i'm summoning or being summoned by do almost no damage to me. I've been killed a couple times now after being summoned (after literally not dying in the 33 duels where I summoned someone), some of the killed people are dropping appropriate amounts of souls, generally in the 20-100k range which is generally a bit higher than me but believably in my SM range. One guy had over 3000 health.

I switched from a buffer-melee build to a pure dark mage after getting killed by the same guy twice - like the ultra-cheese PvP build of max pursuers, atleast 2.8k life, huge RGS, a buffed santier's spear, and dual avelynns. How much more dick does it get than that? Oh and havels. But of course, after he summoned me twice in a row and I died like a chump in my full melee build, he never summons me again when I try to even the playing field ; ;.

Kiggles posted:

This is only COUNTER damage. It does not influence critical damage (backstab/reposte). The critical modifier is hidden. You just have to roughly gauge the crit damage relative the normal attack damage, or else the absolute damage. For example, a heavy weapon will still probably do more crit damage than a dagger, but the heavy weapon naturally has a lower crit damage modifier. If you're interested in whether X weapon is good for backstabs, just stab something in the back and compare it to another weapon, being less concerned with the apparent modifier, and more with whether or not the backstab did more/less damage.

this isn't true? I'm pretty sure daggers are the only weapons at high level that can one shot people from a riposte or backstab, atleast it's the only one I've found that can one shot me (or drat close, around 1900 damage) at ~2k health.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 14:45 on May 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
My demon's great hammer is taking ~2.5 points of durability per hit in the FoFG in NG+ :smith:

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Ignimbrite posted:

My demon's great hammer is taking ~2.5 points of durability per hit in the FoFG in NG+ :smith:

I've been using a halberd as my primary weapon and it's usually close to breaking after about 10 enemies.

I might overuse the r2 though.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Force your framerate to 30 FPS to fix some of the durability issues with weapons.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Ulvirich posted:

Force your framerate to 30 FPS to fix some of the durability issues with weapons.

Wait, what? Can you elaborate here?

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Wow, ancient dragon is the biggest load of bullshit ever.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Wow, ancient dragon is the biggest load of bullshit ever.

Yeah, skip it if you can. Cheese it by doing the leg method in the fextralife wiki if you really must

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2517i8/durability_bug_is_linked_to_framerate/

Higher frame rate means higher durability cost per weapon swing on bodies because the developer did not take into account... higher frame rates on PC and durability.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

Durability damage calculated from hitting corpses is handled per frame. Higher the frame rate, higher the durability damage from hitting corpses.

It's pretty much a non-issue. Just be more careful when swinging your sharp sticks.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
I beat the game finally! I played through the last two souls games with a walk-through so I avoided all spoilers and guides for this one. I got stuck a lot and it's taken ages but it was worth it, so rewarding. In retrospect I should have read up on some of the game mechanics though, it took me a while to figure out how gear deteriorated among other things.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Kiggles posted:

Durability damage calculated from hitting corpses is handled per frame. Higher the frame rate, higher the durability damage from hitting corpses.

It's pretty much a non-issue. Just be more careful when swinging your sharp sticks.

Does the framerate effect invincibility frames?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

Beats me, but it wouldn't surprise me considering they didn't adjust for the other thing.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I made the Santier's Spear Mundane.

:stare:

:stare:

Also, as revenge for killing me over and over solo with my first run, I summoned one sunbro for Twin Dragonriders, put on Red-Eye Ring and just sat behind my shield. How'dya like them apples, jerks.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
What's the Mundane and Raw buffs again? I always forget.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Babyface Mingo posted:

What's the Mundane and Raw buffs again? I always forget.

Raw increases base damage and reduces scaling. Great for weapons with lovely scaling or no scaling.

Mundane adds a new form of scaling to your weapon that has S scaling with your lowest stat. Basically, it's a Jack of All Trades weapon, because it's at its strongest when all of your stats are 20 (or higher I guess.)

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

Ulvirich posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/DarkSouls2/comments/2517i8/durability_bug_is_linked_to_framerate/

Higher frame rate means higher durability cost per weapon swing on bodies because the developer did not take into account... higher frame rates on PC and durability.

Man what the hell hahahah

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Raw is usually pretty poo poo, it gives a minor attack boost but lowers the attribute bonuses (for str, dex, etc) so it usually doesn't balance out in your favor, unless it's a weapon that had no attribute bonuses.

Mundane is lowers the attribute bonuses too, but gives the weapon a flat damage boost based on the lowest stat you have (including ALL your stats) so it's pretty much only good for a jack-of-all trades class. Since it's a flat bonus instead of a percentage or whatever, it makes weapons that attack quickly, like a Dagger, really, really strong (and a crazy crit to boot) and the Santier's Spear becomes a blender that can also poke like a spear, with infinite durability.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Red Crown posted:

Does the framerate effect invincibility frames?

No. Invulnerability is probably polled for time, rather than frames. Begin your dodge and a timer is initiated. IF collision mesh overlaps during that time, THEN ignore damage. Regardless of how many frames occurring during that time your invulnerability time remains constant. They can't quite do this with weapon collision, since its not about ignoring penalties, but applying them. They would have to go a separate route to accommodate that by introducing an internal polling frequency on which to test collisions. You only suffer faster durability loss when hitting corpses (non-hostile NPCs, like rats in grave of saints also apply), so it can be easy to miss.

Dodging certainly is no more difficult than it used to be. Not even joking, I haven't even increased ADP on any of my characters on PC, and I STILL do not have a build that is using a shield. There may be a few more problems like durability to pop up because of framerate, but it does not apply to dodging.

EDIT: If we want to get REALLY technical, you might have situations where your effective invulnerability time is actually lower because of the higher framerate. At lower framerate the colission on the last frame may not overlap, but at double framerate, there may be that extra frame in between where you lose invulnerability and get hit, but we're getting really nitty gritty at that point. The trade off here is that increasing AGI should have even more organic scaling than it did without such dramatic steps like there were at roughly 30fps.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 10, 2014

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

y_3 posted:

Man what the hell hahahah

according to that thread it's also affecting alot of monster attacks and probably mucking up pvp as well

drat, apparently the PC version is the real hard mode.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Wish there was a way to turn off PvP in this game. It is straight up the worst part of DS2 for me. It's still too easy to backstab/be backstabbed and magic becomes so much stronger than melee it's not even funny.

Which is a shame because I liked the PvP aspect in DS1 and generally stayed human as much as possible to get more of it.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Office Thug posted:

Wish there was a way to turn off PvP in this game. It is straight up the worst part of DS2 for me. It's still too easy to backstab/be backstabbed and magic becomes so much stronger than melee it's not even funny.

Which is a shame because I liked the PvP aspect in DS1 and generally stayed human as much as possible to get more of it.

Burn an effigy at the bonfire nearest where you want to get things done.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Mazed posted:

So I did like a dozen fights vs. the Mirror Knight as a sunbro earlier.

Not once did we actually get a PC phantom summoned. It's always one of those lame-rear end NPC phantoms that die in like three punches. :(

Y'all with the red soapstone need to seriously step up your game. :colbert:

(I've taken to spamming "this one's me" in front of the mirror when he clunks it down to summon and I want actual players to bear witness to my egotism)

I don't think the people being summoned can see that. The one time I got summoned, the loading screen stayed up while game audio was playing and when the loading screen went away I was just standing there and didn't see myself come out of the shield.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Dear From,

Please make the following Superman emote.

I find "Mock" lacking and "Welcome" is a lovely imitation of both "Well? What is it!" AND "Warcry."
I can't make anybody top mad with either of those.
Please fix ty.

- Turtle

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Havels armor is MINE! :black101: Hurrah for Poison cheese!

does the soul of the giant grant me anything or should I just consume it for souls like a lesser souls item?

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Ignimbrite posted:

You have to use cracked red eye orbs until NG+ when you can buy them for 10000 souls a pop. No uncracked red eye orbs. Red phantoms got hosed in DS2.
Goddamn it. I never thought I'd say this but come on developers, stop trying to prevent twinking and griefing! :mad:
Obvious there problems with experiences players loving destroying rookies in te undead burg and what not but you know what? I think that was a good thing! A huge portion of DS' purported difficulty was the fact that you could and would be invaded and loving annihilated any time you went human. Getting utterly crushed by some dude ninja flipping around in havel's armor was like a rite of passage into the dark souls community!

Kiggles posted:

This is only COUNTER damage. It does not influence critical damage (backstab/reposte). The critical modifier is hidden. You just have to roughly gauge the crit damage relative the normal attack damage, or else the absolute damage. For example, a heavy weapon will still probably do more crit damage than a dagger, but the heavy weapon naturally has a lower crit damage modifier. If you're interested in whether X weapon is good for backstabs, just stab something in the back and compare it to another weapon, being less concerned with the apparent modifier, and more with whether or not the backstab did more/less damage.
You sure about that like 4 oter people beat me to it but yeah, I'm almost certain that counter multiplier affects backstabs as well.

Alan Smithee posted:

Anyone who tries cheap shots has not done enough duels to know that won't work. Unfortunately they usually are magic users which means one shotters if you can't teach em a lesson in time. Though I was lucky enough to get a Havel who didn't have a clue. I broke like 3 of his weapons before killing him :getin:
That's what you think. I've managed to create a build that basically uses almost all magic but fights similar to melee. Lots of quick, opportune hits at just the right time rather than a never ending stream of high power hits. It's working fantastically well on belltower.

King of Solomon posted:

Raw increases base damage and reduces scaling. Great for weapons with lovely scaling or no scaling.

Mundane adds a new form of scaling to your weapon that has S scaling with your lowest stat. Basically, it's a Jack of All Trades weapon, because it's at its strongest when all of your stats are 20 (or higher I guess.)
Wait so is mundane just like a funky version of dark bonus only instead of scaling with the lower of faith and intelligence it takes all stats into account? So by boosting my lowest it increases mundane damage? If that's right then it's...confusing but potentially useful.

Ulvirich posted:

Oh From software, you are a card :rolleyes:

Office Thug posted:

Burn an effigy or, alternatively. Disconnect from the internet.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Al-Saqr posted:

does the soul of the giant grant me anything or should I just consume it for souls like a lesser souls item?

Keep it till you have 5 of them. Then visit Vendrick...we have no need for two rulers. :eng101:

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012

Al-Saqr posted:

Each one of those you have in your inventory doubles the damage you do against king Vendrick. He's completely optional though.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

turtlecrunch posted:

Keep it till you have 5 of them. Then visit Vendrick...we have no need for two rulers. :eng101:

There are five more secret locations with giants in them?! or are we counting the 'four great souls' I already have?

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

InequalityGodzilla posted:

You sure about that like 4 oter people beat me to it but yeah, I'm almost certain that counter multiplier affects backstabs as well.
No, otherwise Katanas would deal completely retarded damage, given they usually have a counter multi of 150, same as the dagger, but like 3 times the base damage. If people are oneshotting 2K HP targets with a dagger, no one would ever survive katana backstabs, pretty much ever. The counter damage multiplier is just that, counter damage. Crit damage multiplier is hidden.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 10, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Al-Saqr posted:

There are five more secret locations with giants in them?! or are we counting the 'four great souls' I already have?

The four great souls do not count, only souls of giants. The secret location in Black Gulch is the only one where there are two giants for you to fight in the current timeline...the rest you need to peer through an ashen mist to find. :D

Notably you can also ascetic the first bonfire in Black Gulch and fight those two giants again for another soul, if you happen to only find four total through the rest of the game.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

How do I do the summon thing? I haven't found any summon signs yet and I can't ever seem to go to other people's games either.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Upmarket Mango posted:

How do I do the summon thing? I haven't found any summon signs yet and I can't ever seem to go to other people's games either.

You've got to be human. Are you seeing messages? If so, you might just be unlucky.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is your Steam in offline mode?

Did you join the Covenant of Champions via crumbling monument that's hidden up a cliff in Majula?

Are you hollow?

If the answer to any of these is yes, you won't be able to summon other people.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Upmarket Mango posted:

You need to be human (USE an effigy from your inventory). To be summoned, you need to use a small white soapstone, or a white soapstone. Generally, place near bonfires or boss doors, but if you're having bad luck, then you may under/over "level" the area. Matchmaking is handled according to Soul Memory (top right of your player status screen). Chances are you, you're not so far this will matter, but just FYI.

If you're still having problems, then a few things could be going on. Are you actually logging on to the servers? If so, do you have an icon under your health/stamina that is like a white rock with a line through it? That appears in places you can not summon/be summoned. Most common cause is BURNING and effigy at a bonfire. This will basically turn off the multiplayer around that specific bonfire for about 30 minutes to 1 hour.

^^ Yes, also covenant of Champions turns off summoning.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
how do you reckon two giants got into black gulch and just chilled down there for such a long time?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Babyface Mingo posted:

how do you reckon two giants got into black gulch and just chilled down there for such a long time?

Dunno how, but I'm 100% certain on why: they were running from me :black101:

They probably walked, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've been using my stronger spells/miracles getting to the Old Iron King so I can have someone summon me to refresh them and sick of idiot hosts getting hit by his 2 fist attacks and dying at the start of the fight and having to wait another 5 minutes to be summoned

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Jose posted:

I've been using my stronger spells/miracles getting to the Old Iron King so I can have someone summon me to refresh them and sick of idiot hosts getting hit by his 2 fist attacks and dying at the start of the fight and having to wait another 5 minutes to be summoned

You shouldn't have to deal with but one enemy. Look more closely on your next trip to OIK. specifically, look for a ladder before the very last turtle knight

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Kiggles posted:

You shouldn't have to deal with but one enemy. Look more closely on your next trip to OIK. specifically, look for a ladder before the very last turtle knight

Will do. Its not like it took particularly long to get here anyway. Now I've finally got the archdrake staff upgraded to needing titanite chunks I've joined the bellkeeper covenant to get some. How often do you get summoned to fight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

turtlecrunch posted:

The four great souls do not count, only souls of giants. The secret location in Black Gulch is the only one where there are two giants for you to fight in the current timeline...the rest you need to peer through an ashen mist to find. :D

Notably you can also ascetic the first bonfire in Black Gulch and fight those two giants again for another soul, if you happen to only find four total through the rest of the game.

Also the Ancient Dragon drops a Giant Soul, but you're better off asceticing Black Gulch to get two Giant Souls there than trying to fight the Ancient Dragon