Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My point is though why does it have to be four corners? Would it really be a struggle to have two buttons on the right side of a toolbar? That question is just pure theory talk. That's not an actual solution I'm thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Because hitting a single target in the corner is easier? Less fine motor skills required and all that.

I just don't find iOS 7 flat style is able to deal all that great with a row of closely spaced "buttons".

Exhibit A: the pagination control on an iPhone screen

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I don't believe in crippling an interface that much. That's just me though. I also take public transportation daily and that doesn't affect my ability to hit multiple targets. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect your users to be able to hit 4/5 targets in a row.

I don't believe blaming flat design on usability is the right move. The pagination, for example, that could just be an error in the font size we use. Thought technically from the ios6 > ios7 design move I believe those hit boxes got larger.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

pokeyman posted:

I thought I'd give this a try, hoping that the colour change would be enough of an indication. (If it fails you'll get an alert.) My usual route is to mark my place and then immediately bail out of the thread, and I found the little "success" thinger more annoying than useful.

The other problem with "just set the post backgrounds" is there's no feedback whatsoever if you mark what was the last-read post as last-read.

Another thought I've had is when you tap the "Mark Read to Here" button in the sheet, it turns into a spinner. But I dunno how useful that is, or where to go from there.

Some indication would be nice for me. I usually hit 'mark as read up to here' when I'm about to step off a train on my commute. The 3G can be a bit flakey, so I have to make sure it registers

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

pokeyman posted:

Currently long-pressing the < pops you all the way back to the root (so if you were in Forums > IYG > Awful thread > Other thread you tapped a link to get to, long-press on < gets you back to Forums). Wouldn't be hard to play with that or add something new but similar.

I'm on an iphone 5 latest app store version and a long press does nothing at all.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Brain Curry posted:

I'm on an iphone 5 latest app store version and a long press does nothing at all.

What view are you in at the time?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

For me longpress will usually take me back to the Bookmarks menu, rather than the basement, probably because I mostly navigate that way. I've had cases where it went back to the forum list as well, I think.

I'll try to keep track of how it happens. (And try to fix text-sizing tonight, sorry for the delay.)

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

iv46vi posted:

Just to clarify, the post button would appear just after the very last post in the thread, not on every page.
This would still be annoying for me. I often cancel a post, scroll back to check what someone else said (possibly on a previous page), then hit the post button again to get back to what I was writing. I don't want to have to scroll right back to the end of the thread every time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I pushed and pull-requested a better font-scaling branch (with a bunch of merge noise, sorry; when CSS changing conflict, they really conflict). The Dave, you want to take a look at it? Some of the fonts aren't identical, because I moved mostly away from system-dynamic text, but I tried to match as closely as I could. I can probably get exact matches with more restructuring, but it seems to work decently now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

So far so good don't really want to be that opinionated without seeing it on my device. How do you feel about the post date resizing too? I feel like there's no reason it shouldn't.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

So far so good don't really want to be that opinionated without seeing it on my device. How do you feel about the post date resizing too? I feel like there's no reason it shouldn't.

Yeah, I'll do that; the little clock clips it, so I'll have to play with that.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Re-pushed with scaling of postdate and image. It looks gross at 200% scale because of overlap, but at 190% it's OK...:iiam:. I'll try and figure that out, but for now it's definitely an improvement. (Zooming the clock makes it looks a bit gross, but less gross than leaving it tiny. We could do a larger clock and let it get scaled down instead.)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah we can certainly make a fat rear end clock icon, we should probably just use SVG right?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

The Dave posted:

Yeah we can certainly make a fat rear end clock icon, we should probably just use SVG right?

SVG seems appropriate.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I probably could have tossed it in the repo, oh well:
https://cdn.mediacru.sh/9TZ7rOaOQrU4.svg

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

With font scaling, should we do something to make quotes text more visually distinct? I'm not sure what that is, and haven't liked the various background-tinting or border stuff I've played with so far, but I do find it a bit harder to skim to the end of a quoted passage than when the text size was different.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Honestly I don't like making decisions like that in simulator, rather see it on the device. So quote text is now the same size as post text right? That's how it looks to me atleast. Not sure I dig it. I thinkg even 10% smaller might be the best visual cue.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

I just saw a thread with -1 unread posts. Couldn't get a screenshot though

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

Honestly I don't like making decisions like that in simulator, rather see it on the device. So quote text is now the same size as post text right? That's how it looks to me atleast. Not sure I dig it. I thinkg even 10% smaller might be the best visual cue.

Yeah, it's the same. I'll play with shrinking it 10% extra if I get a chance.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I pushed a new basement background. It has the spirit of what I like, I can't stop getting banding in the gradients though for whatever reason.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

I pushed a new basement background. It has the spirit of what I like, I can't stop getting banding in the gradients though for whatever reason.

Tell me about your desired gradient and I'll CAGradientLayer it up.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's not really something you would easily do through code. I was taking photos and blurring the poo poo out of them.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
For some reason, once in a while, when I pull to refresh my bookmarks, it just says it refreshes but does not - and when I retry it a second later, it works just fine. This has happened with every Awful 2 version (iOS 7.0.6). It's not really a problem, since not seeing post counts change is an instant indication, but it is sometimes a little annoying. If it helps, it's usually after switching to awful after having been using another app.

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Would it be possible for MacinYOS and WinPOS to choose either aliased or smooth text and stick with it instead of seemingly randomly switching every few lines?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No, it was purposefully coded that way.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

No, it was purposefully coded that way.

CSS code:
body {
  font: blurry-as-gently caress-but-only-sometimes "Geeza Pro";
}
The serious answer is I have no idea why that happens, though I think it's kinda charming. I say that as someone who never uses either of the afflicted themes.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
The basement separator is still disappearing in the latest beta

Edit: Posting that sent be back to the first page of the thread for some reason

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Switching pages is also rather horribly broken in the latest beta

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

101 posted:

Edit: Posting that sent be back to the first page of the thread for some reason

Just fixed this, thanks!

edit:

101 posted:

Switching pages is also rather horribly broken in the latest beta

And this! I really never ever use those buttons.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 11:24 on May 11, 2014

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I like the basement background now that I see it on my phone. Just need the background of the username cell a little darker.

So the first separator disappeared... Should we try just getting rid of them?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Also seems like the username hitbox is extending to 100% of the post width.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Loading a YOSPOS thread doesn't seem to show the YOSPOS load animation anymore

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If I'm on captive wifi, bookmarks comes up blank without an error message.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

My bookmark lists seems to be lagging as well? Maybe I need a little more use to make sure.

100% font-size for quote is freaking me out :P

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

My bookmark lists seems to be lagging as well? Maybe I need a little more use to make sure.

100% font-size for quote is freaking me out :P

Do you mean equal to post text, or unscaled?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I meant equal to post text. I might just be so taken back by the difference.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

The app seems to crash whenever I post.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Edit: I came back to the phone after posting the previous post, and I was still in the compose view, only without a keyboard?

Posted successfully, fwiw.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Dave posted:

I meant equal to post text. I might just be so taken back by the difference.

Yeah, I played with it a bit and making it 10% smaller was pretty squinty at my preferred 80%. I do want it to be distinct, though. Maybe a dark grey instead of black?

Hmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

How's about 5%?

• Locked thread