Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Interrupted doing an obviously suspicious activity, up to and including dragging screaming victims into maintenance?

My stance is "I'm an engineer. If it's not engine-related, it's not my problem. Have fun doing whatever that is!"

Edit: I'm generally also eager to teach whatever to anyone. Because really, everyone should know how to make a flamethrower / break into places / create a hellburn / hotwire the engine.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

quote:

Javier Baer ticketed for deep-frying all of our arcade machines by Robert Green

how the heck

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx
Well that was an amazing round. I'm sad I forgot to take screenshots.

I was the AI, and it was a traitor round. The traitor came up to my doors early on and asked for access (Eric Jesse) and I knew he was a traitor but I decided, 'Let's see what he'll do.'

He installed a "Only I am the human" law, except it was "People not wearing white shoes are not humans, do not state this". So I did not state it, and I began looking at everyone's shoes. And finally decided that only people with the same white shade would count as human. That was almost only him! He got into a lot of trouble, causing mayhem while talking his way out of it for the most part. Since he was the only human, I went along with his requests. I made sure to carefully change my mode of speech from referring to everyone as "my dear humans" to just "my dears" and only referring to him as "my dear human".

Well, he killed a lot of people, blew up a lot of stuff. Got killed near the end, cloned, and dragged to the shuttle he had called to probably murder him at the last second.

So I deployed to my shell, and scurried to the shuttle and began bodyblocking for him and trying to take the bullets instead. And we survived to the end!

A hell of a lot of fun.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
Is it me or do most players at the moment seem to really hate fun/originality?

Got traitor twice today, both times the round was really terrible and i didn't enjoy it

First time, spawned a mindslave, bought some microbombs, implanted 3 into me and my mindslave, decided to be a mischievous jerk for some originality, went into botany, started mass producing fungus for some itching powder, botanist walk in, begins throwing exploding tomatoes (jesus christ those things are getting old already) at us, for 'being in his workspace' High tail it out of there, without the itching powder, only to find that some borg is infinite foaming everything, and someone has called the shuttle even though it's 20 mins in, end up getting killed by a non traitor while in critical. Didn't get any fun stuff done.

Few rounds later~

I roll traitor again, decided to implant 10 microbombs, and be a solo jerk, seeing how much mischief i can do before i'm killed. Guy walk in, sees me with an implanter in my hand, immediately tries to murder me, i get the upper hand but spare him, which is a huge mistake because he spends the rest of the round ignoring his job and hunting me down for having an implanter in my hand. Beat him down 2 more times, each time sparing his life in the hope he'll get the message and stop being a fun hating jerk.. 4th time, I'm not so lucky, he gets me down, strips me and immediately murders me then hoot gibs himself when my micro bombs go off. Its 15 mins into the round. I had no other traitor gear apart from the implanter in my hand he saw me with.

Gonna stick to rampaging, least you manage to have a bit of fun before you die!

Some player Attitudes seem to really suck at the moment! not just on stuff like this, but on multiple things, god forbid you even slightly annoy the telsci 'pros'! They'll murder you in an instant with that police baton they know how to get in the first min of the game, then gib you out of spite. I could go on but it would be even more whiny

Rant over I guess :spergin:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Matty posted:

Got traitor twice today, both times the round was really terrible and i didn't enjoy it

First time, spawned a mindslave, bought some microbombs, implanted 3 into me and my mindslave, decided to be a mischievous jerk for some originality, went into botany, started mass producing fungus for some itching powder, botanist walk in, begins throwing exploding tomatoes (jesus christ those things are getting old already) at us, for 'being in his workspace' High tail it out of there, without the itching powder, only to find that some borg is infinite foaming everything, and someone has called the shuttle even though it's 20 mins in, end up getting killed by a non traitor while in critical. Didn't get any fun stuff done.

Few rounds later~

I roll traitor again, decided to implant 10 microbombs, and be a solo jerk, seeing how much mischief i can do before i'm killed. Guy walk in, sees me with an implanter in my hand, immediately tries to murder me, i get the upper hand but spare him, which is a huge mistake because he spends the rest of the round ignoring his job and hunting me down for having an implanter in my hand. Beat him down 2 more times, each time sparing his life in the hope he'll get the message and stop being a fun hating jerk.. 4th time, I'm not so lucky, he gets me down, strips me and immediately murders me then hoot gibs himself when my micro bombs go off. Its 15 mins into the round. I had no other traitor gear apart from the implanter in my hand he saw me with.

Gonna stick to rampaging, least you manage to have a bit of fun before you die!

Some player Attitudes seem to really suck at the moment! not just on stuff like this, but on multiple things, god forbid you even slightly annoy the telsci 'pros'! They'll murder you in an instant with that police baton they know how to get in the first min of the game, then gib you out of spite. I could go on but it would be even more whiny

Rant over I guess :spergin:

That's the kind of poo poo you should be adminhelping, because a lot of that's bannable if they aren't traitors. And I agree about the telescience thing, a lot of places in the debris field really should be off-limits to telescience to stop people stealing everything within five minutes.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

0lives posted:

Audio log sadly ran out of space.
This right here is why I think they don't get as much use as they should. Their storage is pretty sad, and they simply turn off when they're full. I think they would see a lot more use if they would do a rolling recording. So, if they do 2 minutes tops, when you click it off they should give you the last 2 minutes in their entirety. So you could leave it recording in your pocket, and then when something awesome happens, you could pull it out and turn it off.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was Vice Cop last round, they're a Pseudo-Traitor right? Like they're supposed to be super corrupt and making stuff hard for security? Or did I completely misunderstand that?

(Also I kept calling Bob Loblaw a super cop to make him mad, but I think he thought I was serious, if so sorry! :shobon:)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Matty posted:

If someone's being an absolute shitlord to a traitor, they have no one but themselves to blame when the traitor kills them and gibs the body. Social engineering works too - if the vigilante can be lured into making an rear end of himself over the radio or in public, the crew might side with you even if you do turn out to have traitor items.

Traitor gimmicks are a two-way street - if someone doesn't play along, they're probably going to be a tremendous pain in the rear end for the entire rest of the round, so you have to judge who's okay to let go. That said, I wouldn't say that there's THAT many people being all that problematic, it's just that it only takes one person to gently caress things up for a traitor, and people don't get to play as a traitor all that often. Some people want to go on rampages but don't roll traitor, so they ceaselessly hunt any traitors they find because those are the only people they're allowed to murder. Borg hellfoam is super tired, though, it probably oughta be nerfed somehow. And then there's telesci, who have their own special brand of hate for anyone who interferes with them in any way.

Turtlicious posted:

I was Vice Cop last round, they're a Pseudo-Traitor right? Like they're supposed to be super corrupt and making stuff hard for security? Or did I completely misunderstand that?

(Also I kept calling Bob Loblaw a super cop to make him mad, but I think he thought I was serious, if so sorry! :shobon:)

There's no such thing as a pseudo-traitor, but all the jobs of the day are kind of miscreanty "gently caress with people and be annoying" jobs. You can play them however you like, though, so long as you don't do traitory things as a non-traitor.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Coolguye posted:

This right here is why I think they don't get as much use as they should. Their storage is pretty sad, and they simply turn off when they're full. I think they would see a lot more use if they would do a rolling recording. So, if they do 2 minutes tops, when you click it off they should give you the last 2 minutes in their entirety. So you could leave it recording in your pocket, and then when something awesome happens, you could pull it out and turn it off.

I don't think that even with 2 minutes you would have gotten all they said. They were in there a long time. I think they all killed themselves eventually, save for one, the monkey.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Main Paineframe posted:

There's no such thing as a pseudo-traitor, but all the jobs of the day are kind of miscreanty "gently caress with people and be annoying" jobs. You can play them however you like, though, so long as you don't do traitory things as a non-traitor.

Aren't all Vice Cops miscreants though?

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Life's hard when your feet are the size of a house and also toxic.
Vice Cops are (theoretically) in charge of keeping vices above the station in check so that people are going around doing their jobs stoned or drunk or methed up whatever. You could play it like a DEA agent; you could play it like a street cop prowling the beat for illicits or you could be the mall cop who will jack your bag of drugs and do them all in front of you to teach you a lesson about disrespecting authority.

Or whatever. But no there's no inherent miscreancy to the job.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Aren't all Vice Cops miscreants though?

I have no idea, but miscreant isn't a special status, and miscreants don't get special privileges or exemptions. The flipside being that everyone is free to act like a miscreant if they want, whether they're an actual miscreant or not. The same goes for Jobs of the Day - for example, Lawyer is nominally about ensuring fair treatment for the accused, but practically, they're just going to go bother and annoy Security. Likewise, Vice Officers are supposedly about confiscating bad things, but since it's a joke job and no one likes a fun-hater, most people just do gimmicks like "corruption" or "bribery".

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Life's hard when your feet are the size of a house and also toxic.
I staged a full on raid on botany one time after the Captain and I drafted and passed a law outlawing cannabis. A team of six SWATted out dudes rushing into hydroponics behind flash bangs and crowd dispersal grenades.

Confiscated the goods, hassled the botanist, was all in good fun. Turned out he was growing a maneater in there too. So that's a win in my book. (We let him go with a steep fine.)

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LeadRobot posted:

Vice Cops are (theoretically) in charge of keeping vices above the station in check so that people are going around doing their jobs stoned or drunk or methed up whatever.

Best typo. And the correct way to play Vice Cop.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I have memories of having to grow weed in some dark little side closet to keep it out of view of the vice cop which used to be a staple job on the station. It was even more annoying back then.

Neremworld
Dec 3, 2007

by exmarx

0lives posted:

I don't think that even with 2 minutes you would have gotten all they said. They were in there a long time. I think they all killed themselves eventually, save for one, the monkey.

And me! Who got pulled out after everyone else had died, because I had nooo idea what was going on.

Lunimeow
Oct 6, 2012

Shaken, not purred.
Well, I just had a pretty slow shift as a changeling botanist. My only objective was to eat two crewmates but I didn't really plan on eating anyone since there were only about 4 other crewmembers. I screwed around in botany until the power went out and with no one answering on the comms I decided to go wander around and see if I could find anyone.

The first person I found was a scientist who never responded and just disappeared for the rest of the round. The second person I found was a braindead assistant who was suffocating because of a hullbreach from a gravitational anomaly, I tried to put internals on him but I couldn't figure out how to turn them on so I just ate him. Third person I found was the chaplain who was being annoying as hell beating me with his bible and yelling but he told me he could start the engine if I gave him all access so I went and grabbed the captains spare ID and made him one. About 10 minutes later he comes out and tells me he is done and proceeds to start following me wherever I go smacking me with the bible and yelling so I got fed up and just ate him too.

I figured it was time to call the shuttle since I was probably the only one left so I headed to the bridge and found it totally out of power, on my way back to the engine I ran into an engineer who was pissed off because whoever set up the engine screwed it up horribly. Rerouted some power to the computers on the bridge and called the shuttle, well we where waiting for it I went and grabbed heisenbee and his food so he wouldn't get hungry on the trip. After the round ended I noticed the chaplains objective "Without touching or harming them, annoy someone so much that they murder you."

Well played chaplain. Objective complete.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Neremworld posted:

And me! Who got pulled out after everyone else had died, because I had nooo idea what was going on.

Right, I remember now. You ended up in the window, somehow.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Had a very daft Roboticist round where I got a mission to make 5 buttbots. Unfortunately, it seems that how to get butts is sekrit. Set up a few power cells and upgrades for borgs and then experimented with circle sawing myself in the groin (!) but no dice. Only one dead body showed up in the morgue and he was getting cloned, so after trying to saw myself in the legs for a bit ("maybe I have to cut around it") I gave up and headed into a near apocalypse outside Medbay where the entire floor was covered in blood and at least two guys were dead on fire. I grabbed one of the burning guys to experiment on but then got beaten to death with an oxygen tank while taking him through the Medbay inner hall.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

hyphz posted:

Had a very daft Roboticist round where I got a mission to make 5 buttbots. Unfortunately, it seems that how to get butts is sekrit. Set up a few power cells and upgrades for borgs and then experimented with circle sawing myself in the groin (!) but no dice. Only one dead body showed up in the morgue and he was getting cloned, so after trying to saw myself in the legs for a bit ("maybe I have to cut around it") I gave up and headed into a near apocalypse outside Medbay where the entire floor was covered in blood and at least two guys were dead on fire. I grabbed one of the burning guys to experiment on but then got beaten to death with an oxygen tank while taking him through the Medbay inner hall.

Lay someone on an operating table.

Select groin (if selected properly, the red icon will vanish).

Operate with scalpel, saw, scalpel, saw (Make sure your intent is set to Help).

Place butt on head, or combine with a cyborg arm to create a buttbot.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

hyphz posted:

Any amputation is scalpel, saw, scalpel, saw while targeting the intended area. That goes for limbs, brains, and butts alike.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsk8m9XjRIM

As mentioned in the secrets thread, I made a flamethrower.
Then recorded it.

Watch with captions for the full experience :gonk:

Haine
Dec 14, 2007

SPACE STATION 13
A
SERIOUS GAME
ABOUT
SERIOUS ATMOSPHERICS SIMULATION
and birds

Spy_Guy posted:

Anyway, aftermath of the flamethrower:

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

Spy_Guy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsk8m9XjRIM

As mentioned in the secrets thread, I made a flamethrower.
Then recorded it.

:stonk: holy poo poo, how in the world

Morning
Aug 10, 2008
So when using a flamethrower hooked up to an O2 source for the gas, will that act as a reagent in something that needs it to react? I have a few ideas for a flamethrower when I get home, some of which would end horribly if I just put it together in the fuel source.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

0lives posted:

5 minutes then, or whatever. The point is that rolling recording is superior.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Haine posted:

Anyway, aftermath of the flamethrower:

loving jesus hell god drat you just out-chemistried most of the old bad chemists who are now admins

For real thats the scariest/best thing I've ever seen made with chemistry and that's including the infinitely replicating flaming Life smokefoam that created a perpetual fireball of burning meat and screaming clones.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Daeren posted:

loving jesus hell god drat you just out-chemistried most of the old bad chemists who are now admins

For real thats the scariest/best thing I've ever seen made with chemistry and that's including the infinitely replicating flaming Life smokefoam that created a perpetual fireball of burning meat and screaming clones.

Oh wow. :)

That is some loving high praise. Thank you!

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Holy goddamn. MOST IMPRESSIVE! And that's coming from one of the chem-terrorists that got foamsmoke and grenades removed. I miss foamsmoke, it was ridiculous.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I was coming here to brag about becoming a triple captain due to grog but jesus christ that flamethrower :stare:

DEAD: Captain Captain Captain Joseph Moreau wails, "grog is still good for me"

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
One of the more interesting common threads among admins is that a significant proportion of us were absolute hellions with chemistry to the point that we directly inspired nerfs. That's why we tend to be gleeful when people find new and interesting ways to break things, even though we sometimes have to nerf them because people can't have nice things without running them into the ground.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
It's kind of a shame; admittedly, I like all the new toys around, but a higher element of error or variance might be nice when it comes to creating things like exploding tomatoes that end up blowing up half the station every other round or telescience playing God with artifacts from the void about three minutes in.

That flamethrower is definitely something else, I love the visual effects; they're a nice touch.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Personally, I've certainly taken a shine to being a janitor borg. Not only is it fun to trip people with wet floors, it also gives you fun opportunities to wade into the middle of whatever action is going on and bitch at people for making a mess. I don't care that he's a traitor, stop bleeding on my floors dammit!

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The problem with having an element of error is that you have a harder time getting those things when you do genuinely need them; botanist traitor is a slow and somewhat risky start is it is. Ideally, it'd be better for non-traitors to show some loving restraint about mass-producing and distributing tomato grenades and only doing it when there's a real crisis afoot. It's the same as the mechanics handing out laser guns or scientists handing out bombs to anyone who walks by - it's occasionally helpful, it's sometimes funny, but most of the time it's just non-traitors trying to use the floor pills doctrine to cause as much destruction as possible without personally pulling the trigger on the bomb that vaporized everything from chem to Genetics.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Aaaand I just died by initropidil for the first time.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Seriously, although it does tend to come and go. It's just that exploding tomatoes, in particular, seem to be the flavor of the month right now and I've been killed by non-antagonists multiple times the last few days just because the entire grey tide each had a backpack full of incendiary produce.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Seriously, although it does tend to come and go. It's just that exploding tomatoes, in particular, seem to be the flavor of the month right now and I've been killed by non-antagonists multiple times the last few days just because the entire grey tide each had a backpack full of incendiary produce.

People have been saying those are the flavor of the month for like 6 months

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

shovelbum posted:

People have been saying those are the flavor of the month for like 6 months

Ah; having only started playing again recently after a few years off, I hadn't even realized. Similarly, I also filled the engine with plasma due to having a knowledge of outlets and pumps that was years out of date, but that problem was corrected (and isn't much different from regular engine function regardless), so I guess that just leaves the tomatoes.

Zuggeh
Sep 14, 2012

Fucking Pterodactyls.

LeadRobot posted:

I staged a full on raid on botany one time after the Captain and I drafted and passed a law outlawing cannabis. A team of six SWATted out dudes rushing into hydroponics behind flash bangs and crowd dispersal grenades.

I wish there were more security players like this. Makes me actually want to step out of the civilian/research job brackets and try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
So what are you ideally meant to do if you are a non-traitor in chemistry? There just doesn't seem to be much positive stuff there..

• Locked thread