Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Genocyber posted:

A lot of the unique armor sets in Dks are; the catch is most of them require farming them one piece at a time from non-respawning black phantoms that only spawn in ng+.

I really do not understand some of the design choices FROM made in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
The Shrine of Amana is a piece of poo poo, so even for my weird gimmick build (magic/dark/etc. Weapon buffs) I broke out a bow and ~200 poison arrows right away.

I will not tolerate that (gorgeous) shithole's nonsense.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

King of Solomon posted:

The Shrine of Amana is a piece of poo poo, so even for my weird gimmick build (magic/dark/etc. Weapon buffs) I broke out a bow and ~200 poison arrows right away.

Be glad they toned down the tracking on the soul arrows. It used to be nigh impossible to dodge those fuckers.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

King of Solomon posted:

Honestly if you take your time you can get down to one caster before Rhoy's Resting Place without aggroing those 2 melee guys near her (there will also be a healer but who cares about her).
Then the following area, if you want to get the stuff...you can summon a phantom and they can run out and kill everything without spawning Peculiar Kindler, just make sure you kill that one caster that's toward the DOS area first so they're not getting shot in the back.

So yeah it's totally easy now! :shepface:

I wish the singer dress was not all ratty and bloody at the bottom.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Why do so many people have trouble with the Shrine of Amana? Do none of you have bows? You know all the weird underwater things both make constant sounds and the water above them sparkles, right?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I guess I'm one of the weird dudes who didn't have an issue with the Shrine of Amana. Lightning sniping + dark orbs for the lizards. Heck, the only thing that really ruined my day were the corrosive guys because I misjudged the size of their clouds and all that did was require me to go back for repairs.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
woman ahead therefore Hurrah for chest! and then rear!

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Confirmed: 2-handing Havel's Shield and using it as a weapon is really fun

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Shrine of Amana isn't that hard guys. Those spells are loving easy to dodge, most of the time you don't even need to roll and you can easily evade those underwater guys.

Going through Shrine of Amana takes like 15 minutes. There is no need for poison arrows, spell sniping or whatever.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

0lives posted:

Why do so many people have trouble with the Shrine of Amana? Do none of you have bows? You know all the weird underwater things both make constant sounds and the water above them sparkles, right?

I get the feeling that people who have been flinging magic and lightning bolts as their ranged weapon of choice don't have bows, yes.

I do have a bow and it was more or less a cakewalk, but I get the feeling the harsher range dropoff on ng+ would change that.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

0lives posted:

I don't think the underwater monsters have ever been a problem for anyone (except Felicia).

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

King of Solomon posted:

Felecia the brave is probably my favourite npc summon. She just tanks through the last half of the anime shrine. There should be more random rear end NPC summons that aren't in front of the boss door. Only other I can think of is Benhart.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I've had a lot of trouble the first time around but once you start farming the place for effigies, everything about it becomes clearer.

Still, it's probably the first place in the game where you absolutely need a ranged weapon in order to get through on the first try.

Also there's a loving cyclops in there and cyclops(es?) are the worst.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

I get the feeling that people who have been flinging magic and lightning bolts as their ranged weapon of choice don't have bows, yes.

I do have a bow and it was more or less a cakewalk, but I get the feeling the harsher range dropoff on ng+ would change that.

Ah, didn't know NG+ had range dropoff on the arrows. I can see it getting pretty crazy down there with that coupled with more dudes, makes sense.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Still, it's probably the first place in the game where you absolutely need a ranged weapon in order to get through on the first try.

You don't need a bow, especially since they've greatly nerfed the spell's tracking ability. It makes it a complete cakewalk, but it's always been easy enough to dodge through their magic and/or block it with the pillars scattered about. Since they've nerfed the homing now all you have to do is walk diagonally and they'll all miss.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pierson posted:

Strength/Faith is a thing right? I think I'm about ready to be done with this pure int/faith character, it just isn't as fun as swinging a sword.

I'd like to know this too, and also where I can get a second soul vessel that isn't the house in Majula. I don't want to respec to find myself gimped because I've not paid attention to other gear and only have lightning spear as a miracle

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cowcaster posted:

0lives posted:

Ah, didn't know NG+ had range dropoff on the arrows. I can see it getting pretty crazy down there with that coupled with more dudes, makes sense.

Arrow trajectories are different on NG+?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

You don't need a bow, especially since they've greatly nerfed the spell's tracking ability. It makes it a complete cakewalk, but it's always been easy enough to dodge through their magic and/or block it with the pillars scattered about. Since they've nerfed the homing now all you have to do is walk diagonally and they'll all miss.

Can't dodge what you can't see - Attack one caster and a second or third will most likely aggro you. Those soul arrows also reach beyond draw distance...

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Can't dodge what you can't see - Attack one caster and a second or third will most likely aggro you. Those soul arrows also reach beyond draw distance...

Except the entire level is a flat plain so you can easily see every enemy in advance, as well as the spells? I had no trouble seeing them on my lovely SD tv.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Be glad they toned down the tracking on the soul arrows. It used to be nigh impossible to dodge those fuckers.

Yeah on console they behaved like pursuers from DS1 and they patched it.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

david... posted:

Every boss in Dark Souls 3 will have a 'reach-around' attack to grab people behind them, and we'll all cry.

Every single time I circle around one of those turtles in IK I get caught off guard by this poo poo.

Is there ever a time where slashing weapons are better than striking or are maces just op? I finally decided to follow the thread's suggestion and try a mace after getting my poo poo ruined in Drangleic Castle and holy gently caress I'm just tearing through stuff now.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pierson posted:

Strength/Faith is a thing right? I think I'm about ready to be done with this pure int/faith character, it just isn't as fun as swinging a sword.

Can be, but it's hard to break the lightning spear habit once it gets started. It's not like the int was really doing anything for you except for GRSing the occasional boss or Darkstorming the occasional crowd.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Genocyber posted:

Except the entire level is a flat plain so you can easily see every enemy in advance, as well as the spells? I had no trouble seeing them on my lovely SD tv.

Well there are a couple places where to melee attack one of them puts another at an angle to you rather than ahead of you, so you do have to rotate your camera. And in the Peculiar Kindler area you have to fight through frogmen to get to them safely, and there will be one or two to your left or right depending on where you are coming from (and of course Kindler).

The tracking on the blue orbs from the mages in Tseldora is still pretty weird. They routinely follow me down halls and around corners.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Genocyber posted:

The area around the second bonfire (I think - The one not in the cave) has one caster visible from the entrance and another hidden behind the ruins with the fire. Rush to the first caster and you will aggro the second one. You can not see her on your first approach. There are other examples of this, they hid enemies on purpose, so saying that you can easily see them is hyperbolic at best.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Phantoming for double dragon is a lot of fun. It's so easy you can bring in the most ridiculous setups. I got naked and distracted the archer one by running around him spamming "Hello!" gough stones.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Mzbundifund posted:

Arrow trajectories are different on NG+?

No, but your arrows actually start doing damage based on your bow's range instead of full damage up until draw distance.

I noticed it when I burned an ascetic in the Tseldora cove bonfire and couldn't just snipe every sorcerer and bug person at max range. The arrow would hit them and they would flinch, but take no damage. Scooting a little closer fixed it.

It's entirely possible it was a latency thing? I did have a phantom summoned at the time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cowcaster posted:

No, but your arrows actually start doing damage based on your bow's range instead of full damage up until draw distance.

I noticed it when I burned an ascetic in the Tseldora cove bonfire and couldn't just snipe every sorcerer and bug person at max range. The arrow would hit them and they would flinch, but take no damage. Scooting a little closer fixed it.

It's entirely possible it was a latency thing? I did have a phantom summoned at the time.

So the Hawk Ring might actually have a use?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

I noticed it when I burned an ascetic in the Tseldora cove bonfire and couldn't just snipe every sorcerer and bug person at max range. Arrow would hit them and they would flinch, but take no damage.

That seems like a rather hamfisted approach to the issue of abusing ranged weapons/leashing of monsters.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I want to check in again and get feedback on my character build.

First, I am having a hell of a time with the Smelter Demon. Even with Lucatiel tanking and a guest helping me, I can't withstand his fire attacks. His AOE fire attack is too much, and the fear of getting hit by it really hurts my ability to get into range to do damage to him. It's like I am at a stalemate. I changed up my gear to upgrade my fire defense: full Alonne Captain set, tower shielf, and Flame Quartz Ring. Am I hampering myself because I have been neglecting INT or FAI? Or will I not see a sizeable enough raise in defense for that? I figure I can go and raise INT or FAI for fire defense, sure, but what if I come across another boss, who would give me similar concerns due to Magic or Lightning, and I'm not prepared because I chose one stat over the other? Am I expected to put significant points into both stats?

I'm also curious about the burden thing. I'm sitting just over 80 percent now. If I remove a ring, I'm under 80. Is that a hard rule? My movements, my rolls, suddenly cut out at that number? (Or... wait, was it 70?) Or is it a gradual thing, and the idea is that this number is sort of the suggested magic number?

Beyond that, if I'm doing something stupid with my build, let me know.

Is there a use for the boss souls beyond cashing them in for their weapons? I just met Staid, and I don't think I'm going to go for any of the available items, perhaps a shield, that would be it. That being the case, should I go and just eat up all those souls now? Or is there something else coming that I can use these items for?

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I'd get below 70% or 60% encumbrance, armour isn't that beneficial when you can hardly move

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

That seems like a rather hamfisted approach to the issue of abusing ranged weapons/leashing of monsters.

I actually thought a good solution to the leash abuse problem was speeding up ranged weapon attack speeds, but having the damage dropoff be far more severe. Like max lock-on range would deal half damage or something for soul arrows.

It would make most players think twice about sitting there plinking away at monsters(unless they're just broken like the hammer bros at drangleic).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Heliosicle posted:

I'd get below 70% or 60% encumbrance, armour isn't that beneficial when you can hardly move

There's a ring in No Man's Wharf that will cut down on the weight of armor which would help somewhat. But it won't take him from 80 to below 70. It's good if you cut down on weight and still end up on the borderline though.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Revol posted:

First, I am having a hell of a time with the Smelter Demon. Even with Lucatiel tanking and a guest helping me, I can't withstand his fire attacks. His AOE fire attack is too much, and the fear of getting hit by it really hurts my ability to get into range to do damage to him. It's like I am at a stalemate. I changed up my gear to upgrade my fire defense: full Alonne Captain set, tower shielf, and Flame Quartz Ring. Am I hampering myself because I have been neglecting INT or FAI? Or will I not see a sizeable enough raise in defense for that? I figure I can go and raise INT or FAI for fire defense, sure, but what if I come across another boss, who would give me similar concerns due to Magic or Lightning, and I'm not prepared because I chose one stat over the other? Am I expected to put significant points into both stats?

Defense does not matter for PVE in most cases (and this is not one of them). Unless you can get close to 1000 fire defense (elemental defense is % reduction with 1000 providing 100% reduction) it's not gonna help much, and getting that much pretty much requires the Smelter armor set.

You should not be getting hit by the AOE fire attack at all. When he has his sword plunged into the ground, stay at a distance and only move in to attack after he does the AOE or after he starts to pick up his sword, if he doesn't use the AOE.

quote:

I'm also curious about the burden thing. I'm sitting just over 80 percent now. If I remove a ring, I'm under 80. Is that a hard rule? My movements, my rolls, suddenly cut out at that number? (Or... wait, was it 70?) Or is it a gradual thing, and the idea is that this number is sort of the suggested magic number?

70.0% or less is fast roll, over that is fatroll (until you get over 100% at which point you have no roll). Never go above 70.0%. It's not worth keeping your equip load low because beyond fatroll vs. fast roll it only affects roll distance. Far more important to rolls is the Agi stat (Raised primarily by Adp, and to a lesser extent Att), which adds iframes to it (in addition to other useful things). Agi at 100 is a good amount, and based on your stats it looks like you have it.

quote:

Is there a use for the boss souls beyond cashing them in for their weapons? I just met Staid, and I don't think I'm going to go for any of the available items, perhaps a shield, that would be it. That being the case, should I go and just eat up all those souls now? Or is there something else coming that I can use these items for?

There's another boss soul vendor tho I believe she and Straid are mutually exclusive (i.e. if you can use a soul for one the other won't have something they can make with it).

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Heliosicle posted:

Can't stress this enough. Everything requires a lot more stamina as you get heavier than 70%, plus you get a "semi" fat-roll after 70% automatically.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Genocyber posted:

There's another boss soul vendor tho I believe she and Straid are mutually exclusive (i.e. if you can use a soul for one the other won't have something they can make with it).

Except for the bonus souls you pick up from some bosses in NG+ areas. Each has a distinct trade for them.

And yeah, the Smelter Demon's AoE attack is nasty but also incredibly predictable. If he does the three hit combo ending with a jump attack, watch out because he can choose to add the AoE on it. I think that's the only time he can use it.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 10, 2014

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm fighting the scorpioness right now, and I have a question about one of her attacks. When she fires a homing crystal soulmass, is it better to stay close or run away? When she's close the soulmass goes from stationary to blasting me on my rear end too fast to dodge, but if I run away she catches up with me and gets me with the second wave. I'm sure I can improve one of these strategies to the point that I can dodge them, but I need to know which one.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dropping the tower shield for powerstancing another mace will drop him to 67%. It's not like the shield is helping him much against Smelter Demon.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Revol posted:

I want to check in again and get feedback on my character build.

Beyond that, if I'm doing something stupid with my build, let me know.

The water pots near the beginning of the level as well the pool you get from the Pharros Lockstone give you something like 600 extra fire defence.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The area around the second bonfire (I think - The one not in the cave) has one caster visible from the entrance and another hidden behind the ruins with the fire. Rush to the first caster and you will aggro the second one. You can not see her on your first approach. There are other examples of this, they hid enemies on purpose, so saying that you can easily see them is hyperbolic at best.

No its not, because its very easy to observe your surroundings when the entire level is perfectly flat. You should of learned by then that charging in blindly is a terrible idea. If you actually take your time to look around and make a plan based on enemy position, clearing the shrine isn't hard even as pure melee. The only part I find really annoying as melee is the two mages guarding the estus shard. One mage is right on the edge of the water so you might fall off if you attack her. The other mage might also push you into the water with a soul arrow. Of course, a single throwing knife resolves that issue entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm aware. I played the console version from day one. I just have zero tolerance for that nonsense, even nerfed.