Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

You could show off a lot more faction personality in such a thing: an Illumanti quest would be blackmailing a senator or pouring fluoride into the water supply (it's world made of conspiracy theories, of course fluoride is actually poison), a templar quest would be giving someone a hypocritical moral lecture, and the Dragon quest would be getting a cup of coffee from an exact Starbucks and making ABSOLUTELY SURE you don't properly dispose of the cup.

Wasn't one of the Illuminati faction missions they showed off (a year or more before launch) one where you'd investigate a senator's house and then sneak out through suburbia?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thanks!

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
Maybe in 10 years Ragnar will come back to TSW, start the kickstarter campaign now. Isn't that what he did with Dreamfall?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

HughGRect posted:

Maybe in 10 years Ragnar will come back to TSW, start the kickstarter campaign now. Isn't that what he did with Dreamfall?

Don't give Funcom any ideas. We're likely to see a kick starter for player housing.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

HughGRect posted:

I'd much rather Tornquist stick to single player games rather than MMOs. It's clearly where his strength is.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

macnbc posted:

I'd much rather Tornquist stick to single player games rather than MMOs. It's clearly where his strength is.

I left out the part where he would come back and make TSW a proper RPG with little to no multiplayer aspects. TSW is his baby after all.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I doubt the storyline is dead after the Tokyo update.

Keep in mind that AoC has been getting a lot of development attention over the past year. And this wouldn't be the first MMO to suddenly turn around and restart proper post release development.

Definitely a shame that whatever we get will probably be diminished in some respect though.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
So, I can't do Flappy for now (and I still need the 50 kills cheevo, I swear to god I feel like I've killed that thing a thousand times at least, it's physically painful to run it and there's no counter to let me know how many more times I have left...), and when I clicked on the boxes I got some error message, I'd like to feed them some materials for fragments, but I don't feel like wasting my time figuring out what's going on, I suspect perhaps it's because I have something in my inventory still. Are all the crafting phases active still, is that what is going on? Like if I find the crap in my inventory and try and figure out who would best benefit from getting fragments still I can craft at any filth portal? Or are they activating in some order or what?

Or is no one actually going in game to find out?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

thegodofchuck posted:

So, I can't do Flappy for now (and I still need the 50 kills cheevo, I swear to god I feel like I've killed that thing a thousand times at least, it's physically painful to run it and there's no counter to let me know how many more times I have left...), and when I clicked on the boxes I got some error message, I'd like to feed them some materials for fragments, but I don't feel like wasting my time figuring out what's going on, I suspect perhaps it's because I have something in my inventory still. Are all the crafting phases active still, is that what is going on? Like if I find the crap in my inventory and try and figure out who would best benefit from getting fragments still I can craft at any filth portal? Or are they activating in some order or what?

I think I need to do the first two parts of it for the hat so I'll probably poke it a bit later and let you know what's happening if someone else doesn't first. I stopped doing flappy immediately after getting the last clothing drop.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

thegodofchuck posted:

Are all the crafting phases active still, is that what is going on? Like if I find the crap in my inventory and try and figure out who would best benefit from getting fragments still I can craft at any filth portal? Or are they activating in some order or what?

All three portals are at the craft and turn-in stage right now. If you have more than 1 of each vessel, you can't get more until you're out of your old stack or delete them. You used to get 20 before, but now you only get 1. If you already did the missions back when they were first available, then you won't see the mission again (but you can still turn in the mats for tokens if you want/need them). The whole point, really, is so people can get the credit for the missions so they can get the meta-achievement for that hat.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

novaSphere posted:

The whole point, really, is so people can get the credit for the missions so they can get the meta-achievement for that hat.

That and Funcom probably isn't ready for Tokyo and wanted to give players a break from Flappy. That portion of the event has been going for what...four months?

Is the last event more up yet or is it still missing?

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

Len posted:

That and Funcom probably isn't ready for Tokyo and wanted to give players a break from Flappy. That portion of the event has been going for what...four months?

Is the last event more up yet or is it still missing?

Looking at the tsw site, looks like Flappy has been up about 3 months (news post says Feb. 11). I swear I have to have killed him 50 times. I wish I could check somewhere. Sigh.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

thegodofchuck posted:

Looking at the tsw site, looks like Flappy has been up about 3 months (news post says Feb. 11). I swear I have to have killed him 50 times. I wish I could check somewhere. Sigh.

I'm in the same boat. I want that worthless title but goddamn the amount of effort to get it is so not worth it.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Len posted:

I'm in the same boat. I want that worthless title but goddamn the amount of effort to get it is so not worth it.

I got the worthless title without trying for it. I've killed it enough times to buy two astral fuses :(

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Cheston posted:

I got the worthless title without trying for it. I've killed it enough times to buy two astral fuses :(

Three for me. Plus it gave me a free Criterion Upgrade.

I don't even have 10.2s.

extraordinary
Jun 9, 2011
Looks like Tokyo is on Testlive now. The first review sounds euphoric but we'll know the truth soon enough now, I guess.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

extraordinary posted:

Looks like Tokyo is on Testlive now. The first review sounds euphoric but we'll know the truth soon enough now, I guess.

If I could give Funcom any feedback about it I would totally patch to testlive.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

It's 1.18 gigs, in addition to all the parts they had in the game beforehand.

**Ahaha, okay, Dragon players who've done the issues are gonna love this.

***Not gonna spoil anything, but there is a lot of cool stuff here.

***The Illuminati have the best hub, by far.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 05:12 on May 10, 2014

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
How about you spoil something so I can determine if I should bother reinstalling to see for myself.

:ohdear:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
I finally deleted my live and testlive client last week. Guess I'll reinstall to see it.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
1.9 Birth of Tokyo and the Death of the PVP Evade Tank.

* (Testserver) Fixed an issue that was causing Karma Curio to be unaffected by Gadget cooldowns.

Bwaa ha ha

And they removed the cool down on Thor's Hammer, rad.

Edit: Went through the end of the Venice story, bleh. Did the story to get into Tokyo, meh. And saw Tokyo, very..blah. Haven't done any of the Tokyo missions yet, might do them later tonight.

Venice ends in a lovely platforming run through sewers complete with machine gun turrets and flaming water, not as bad as cost of magic. Entrance to Tokyo brings you back to the subway station from the original flash back when you create your character, Sarah is totally loving bonkers now and introduces you to the AEGIS system. And Tokyo is a bright and sunny futuristic city, with some scattered mobs standing around. And it is a lot cleaner then I was expecting ground zero of a filth bomb to be.

First impressions only, I haven't written off the expansion as failed yet. My mind is still open and we will see what we get when it hits live.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 10, 2014

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Marx posted:

How about you spoil something so I can determine if I should bother reinstalling to see for myself.

:ohdear:

You can access every hub as any faction, but each one's allied, helping, or paid by one of them and has a faction-specific vendor.

The Illuminati get a bathhouse full of gangster demons that got kicked out of Hell a few hundred years ago. They all wear gas masks and their leader chills in a robe with gold headphones.

Oh, and here's your new best friend:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Is it only one of the three Tokyo zones?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
What are the requirements for getting to Tokyo?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

You know what one of my favorite broken promises from Funcom is? Back when they first announced content they said NPCs would get killed and there would actually be dynamic changes.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Rincewind posted:

What are the requirements for getting to Tokyo?

Currently you need access to test live with a character who has completed Issue 8, the scenario stuff and the token that says your ready for Tokyo.

While on test live, talk to F.A.T.E. (Big naked blue dude) and have him give you access to Issue 9. That will start a phone call with your handler and the rest is following the way points.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

Lawlicaust posted:

Is it only one of the three Tokyo zones?

Looks like it- about 2/3rds the total area is available for this zone right now, given what was in that one stream. There's a wall blocking off the docks, and the lair (I think it's a dojo?) is closed off. There could be other zones- there's a giant pipe bursting out of the ground at one edge of the map that looks like a zone transition, but it pops up "You do not meet the requirements to travel here." There's also a road towards Orochi Tower on the map, but it's blocked. It's a quarantine wall, so they're blocked in a way that could easily be moved.

The current area is about 1000x600, which is 2/3 of Kingsmouth. It feels larger than all three city hubs combined. There are definitely still things they're doing (I.E. the Agartha portal isn't in), so I'm optimistic. This Issue's only going to be the mission chain to get there, and side missions in the accessible area, so if you want it to feel like a real expansion, you might want to wait and buy issues 9 and 10 at once. Maybe issues 9, 10, and 11.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
Well, no surprise there. Not really worth reinstalling to check out then.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

HughGRect posted:

Currently you need access to test live with a character who has completed Issue 8, the scenario stuff and the token that says your ready for Tokyo.

While on test live, talk to F.A.T.E. (Big naked blue dude) and have him give you access to Issue 9. That will start a phone call with your handler and the rest is following the way points.

Oh god, I forgot all about finishing issue 8.

I love this stupid game and I'm so excited for Tokyo, but the prospect of doing more scenarios makes me want to saw off my head.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rincewind posted:

Oh god, I forgot all about finishing issue 8.

I love this stupid game and I'm so excited for Tokyo, but the prospect of doing more scenarios makes me want to saw off my head.

Scenarios are fun and are breathing life into the game with dynamic content.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Len posted:

I'm terrible at them, though. :cry:

Actually, I guess I might as well just ask right now: what sorts of builds should I even be using for scenarios?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Len posted:

Nice try Plat.

Did they finalize the "cheat your way into Tokyo" feature yet? I could check myself but then I'd have to load the sunken library and I don't really want to do that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Nice try Plat.

Did they finalize the "cheat your way into Tokyo" feature yet? I could check myself but then I'd have to load the sunken library and I don't really want to do that.

I don't even remember which part of Agartha is the Sunken Library.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I remember the location simply because getting that stupid lore entry on top was such a pain before someone told me about moonwalking to it.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

HughGRect posted:

Well shite, if I haven't bothered getting scenarios I'm locked out of doing Tokyo?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pilchenstein posted:

Well shite, if I haven't bothered getting scenarios I'm locked out of doing Tokyo?
You can get around that by buying a forged seal instead of the real one (pay 1 million pax and finish a certain mission in the sidestories mission pack). Otherwise, have fun in scenarios!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

orcane posted:

You can get around that by buying a forged seal instead of the real one (pay 1 million pax and finish a certain mission in the sidestories mission pack). Otherwise, have fun in scenarios!
Neat, didn't realise it was one of the sidestories that triggered it. I've completed all four so I'm not sure exactly which one but based on the content I'd have to guess it's the one you get from Orochi Retreat. Certification bought :v:

Zhaan
Aug 7, 2012

Always like this.
This is all on TestLive right? Not in the main game yet.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Zhaan posted:

This is all on TestLive right? Not in the main game yet.
Tokyo stuff is on testlive but you can buy the 'skip all of Issue 8 for 1m Pax because scenarios are terrible' from the Rogue Coder in Venice on live right now if you've done whichever investigation side-story is the trigger for it. Handily, buying the forged seal still completes the quest and gives you the 10.1 custom belt anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Mercurius posted:

Handily, buying the forged seal still completes the quest and gives you the 10.1 custom belt anyway.

Speaking of 10.1 customs, the new one in Tokyo is exactly the same as the one from issue 8 only in a different major slot. The issue 8 one was the necklace that gave a blue.5 attack, healing or health signet.

• Locked thread