Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
I guess I'm the only one who doesn't think the suit is ugly then? Good poo poo.

Potsticker posted:

Gaim would be way more enjoyable if it was robot karate bugman samurai, rather than fruit karate bugman samurai.

I disagree completely. A lot of the enjoyment of the show for me is that they're using fruit as their power source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I love the fruit suits, for the most part.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
The fruit suits are sublime. :colbert:

The fact that they designed medieval armors that are so blatantly fruity is what elevates it in my opinion. (See: Mango Arms and Cherry Energy)

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I think the main suits are beautiful and the day Kachidoki Arms comes out it will be the first Figuart I buy.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I don't get how anyone could dislike the Gaim suits. The fruit theme somehow blends perfectly with the knightly/samurai one, and the Riders manage to look regal while not looking so silly, apart from very specific cases (I just can't warm up to Strawberry Arms for some reason, and I like Baron's Mango and Lemon Energy Arms far more than his default Banana).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't get how anyone could dislike the Gaim suits. The fruit theme somehow blends perfectly with the knightly/samurai one, and the Riders manage to look regal while not looking so silly, apart from very specific cases (I just can't warm up to Strawberry Arms for some reason, and I like Baron's Mango and Lemon Energy Arms far more than his default Banana).

Gaim looks like this to me:

I actually don't mind (some of) the other Gaim suits that much. I just dislike Gaim himself and most of his variations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I don't think the Gaim suits look particularly bad (than any other Rider suit... on average... about as good as Den-O let's say) but after watching Wizard x Gaim it really underscores how they crap up the action, especially all those big, flopping pauldrons.

You have Wizard, and even Beast to a lesser extent, doing all this crazy acrobatic stuff, and then the Gaim part starts up and... nope. Just kinda... fighting with extremely plastic looking weapons and armor.

It's the kind of design that would maybe work better if the show had a bigger budget (or a shorter episode run with it's existing budget maybe), but as it stands, it's kinda... eh. One of the reasons I can't get as excited about Gaim as a lot of folks seem to. It was easy to dismiss at first because clearly they went with a "Well none of these guys have really fought a lot before" vibe, but at 30 episodes in... I'm pretty sure they're just limited by the moves they can pull because of the way the swappable armor works.

I think that's one of the reasons I like Kachidoki Arms: because it's a tank mode where most attacks just plink off it and it can just blow people away easily, it doesn't need to be very active to be impressive. So it doesn't engage in a lot of unimpressive physical action, and instead does a lot of exaggerated and special-effects heavy action.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

OnimaruXLR posted:

I don't think the Gaim suits look particularly bad (than any other Rider suit... on average... about as good as Den-O let's say) but after watching Wizard x Gaim it really underscores how they crap up the action, especially all those big, flopping pauldrons.

You have Wizard, and even Beast to a lesser extent, doing all this crazy acrobatic stuff, and then the Gaim part starts up and... nope. Just kinda... fighting with extremely plastic looking weapons and armor.

Which is weird because the action in Gaim proper is leagues better than even the best part of Wizard.

Like maybe the movies are very rarely indicative of the quality or action of the shows it's showcasing! For further example: Even OOO's movie/movie part that isn't Megamax (? Whichever one has the other half with Fourze in it.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I don't know if Gaim is underpowered because the crossover with ToqQger was basically Gaim struggling against one of the boss monsters while the other, exact monster was being taking out very easily by Right and crew.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

A Kamen Rider is on par with a full Sentai team unless they're fighting eachother one on one or the Sentai team just had their show premiere. It's like the Law of Ninjas but with Brand Awareness as a variable.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Rei_ posted:

A Kamen Rider is on par with a full Sentai team unless they're fighting eachother one on one or the Sentai team just had their show premiere. It's like the Law of Ninjas but with Brand Awareness as a variable.

Seems like the recent crossovers have had the Red on the level with the Rider

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Watched episode 3 of Fourze. "I'm Hayabusa!" was incredible but then the dance afterward was...uncomfortable. Lots of low angle shots and zooming in and out on high school girls' butts.

The camerawork in general is kinda poor. I'm not expecting something great out of a Sunday morning children's show, but the camera is so shaky that it feels like half the show was filmed on a hand camcorder. I find myself really missing the level of work that Tasaki put out for W, OOO, and Gaim.

And do we really have to do this again?

EDIT: And now I'm on episode four and like half the shots of the cheerleaders makes sure to get their skirts and upper legs in the frame from a low angle even if it ruins the mood the scene is trying to go for. The director kinda feels like a pervert.

EDIT 2: Lotta butt shots too...are you guys sure this isn't actually a light novel anime adaptation?

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 10, 2014

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
I liked Fourze and thinking about it now, it's all because of Gentaro. God drat was he fun.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Tae posted:

I don't know if Gaim is underpowered because the crossover with ToqQger was basically Gaim struggling against one of the boss monsters while the other, exact monster was being taking out very easily by Right and crew.

It's Jobbing. Gaim was jobbed to make the ToQs look better. It happens.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

jonjonaug posted:

EDIT: And now I'm on episode four and like half the shots of the cheerleaders makes sure to get their skirts and upper legs in the frame from a low angle even if it ruins the mood the scene is trying to go for. The director kinda feels like a pervert.

just you wait untill you watch some of the movies

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Tae posted:

Well, in the show Kouta gets so strong so quickly that it's a problem in a different way; no villain besides Zangetsu really got to have an even fight with him.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
You guys are just so dumb sometimes. Fourze was really good and having a magic base on the moon with space shuttle rider makes more sense then street dancing fruit samurai riders

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Pretty much.

Gain as a music themed rider would've fit wsy better.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Potsticker posted:

Pretty much.

Gain as a music themed rider would've fit wsy better.

With the DJ Gun, he is pretty much music themed at this point.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

everythingWasBees posted:

That suit is pretty good looking too.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Every single belt ever plays music. that doesnt count

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Twistys Rapture posted:

Every single belt ever plays music. that doesnt count

Yeah, but this time his weapon plays music too.
Though honestly I wish that they had done more of a music theme, yeah.

Twisty, I take it you enjoyed Fourze?
e: nevermind I missed you calling Fourze good.

I think I'm gonna go watch Fourze after finals.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Yeah, but this time his weapon plays music too.
Though honestly I wish that they had done more of a music theme, yeah.

Twisty, I take it you enjoyed Fourze?
e: nevermind I missed you calling Fourze good.

I think I'm gonna go watch Fourze after finals.

I enjoyed everything except Hibiki because it was all smoke and bad camera angles

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Twistys Rapture posted:

I enjoyed everything except Hibiki because it was all smoke and bad camera angles

That's disappointing, Hibiki sounded cool.

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Oh also Decade was terrible. In general, all KR have a good plot, but they never know how to finish it out (see, Faiz, Den-O, Kabuto, Kiva)

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

That's disappointing, Hibiki sounded cool.

They also use a filming frame rate that dramas use. I think Blade used this as well and that was also moderately annoying

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Twistys Rapture posted:

You guys are just so dumb sometimes. Fourze was really good and having a magic base on the moon with space shuttle rider makes more sense then street dancing fruit samurai riders

Oh, all that is really fun. I just think the production quality so far is a bit poorer than the other post-Decade shows I've watched. The characters and setup are cool.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twistys Rapture posted:

They also use a filming frame rate that dramas use. I think Blade used this as well and that was also moderately annoying

Did Ryuki and Faiz do that too? Or was it just drama-like scenes/plots that gave those shows a similar feeling?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Potsticker posted:

Did Ryuki and Faiz do that too? Or was it just drama-like scenes/plots that gave those shows a similar feeling?
Agito and Kabuto definitely did, I noticed it harder for those two. They both had a super distinct early 00's feeling in all the shots.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I've noticed that if I watch shows that film in that format long enough it stops bothering me, but it is always a little jarring for the first coupla episodes.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Flameingblack posted:

Agito and Kabuto definitely did, I noticed it harder for those two. They both had a super distinct early 00's feeling in all the shots.

Did Kabuto? If so, maybe the fights were just choreographed better, because I find watching Blade difficult and I really wanted to keep with it.

FortMax
Mar 22, 2013

The Bunny Hat
Rider doesn't mix framerates in episodes. Kuuga-Hibiki were shot in 30i, which game them their "soap opera" look. Everything else has been the 24fps used by film.

(And breaking stuff down even further, all the Showa stuff was shot and edited on film. Kuuga was shot in 1080i and edited letterboxed in SD. Agito-Blade were shot and edited in 480i. Hibiki was shot and edited in 1080i. Kabuto-Fourze were shot/edited in 720p. Wizard is when they started shooting and editing in 1080p.)

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks for the breakdown.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Twistys Rapture posted:

Yeah, it has a better one sentence summary. But that doesn't explain the ugly suit or its ugly power-ups, nor the bullshit plot that only occurs during the last fifteen episodes. Actually thats an interesting idea. Over W plot relevant stuff (as in things regarding characters and their motivation, not just weapon upgrades) was happening near constantly the whole way through, for OOO it was occuring over, two thirds of the series or so, in Fourze it happened over the last fifteen episodes and in Wizard it happened over the last six or so (was it more than that I can barely remember Wizard despite it being less than a year old,) discounting the three episodes tacked onto the end at the last moment. Then in Gaim, which I admittedly haven't been watching, it apparently wrapped around to the plot taking place over the whole show again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fourze was introducing the cast and characters throughout most of the early episodes which is actually plot relevant to a rider Literally Powered By Friendship.

That said, the entire Ryusei arc is a black hole from which nothing but sadness and boredom escapes and it dominates almost the entire middle of the show. You could skip pretty much everything between Meteor's introduction and Cosmic States and not actually lose a single thing from the story.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I absolutely agree. Once Ryusei's plot was resolved, it was all sunshine and rainbows for the most part.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I'VE been watching the original Kikaider series.

This is a character and franchise who I've been a fan of for years, ever since the anime showed up on Adult Swim years back. I've always wanted to see the original show because it sounded really cool to me, especially the finale and everything building towards it-and Kikaider 01 sounds out right balls out insane and fun!

And then I watched the show.

Now one thing I feel the need to clarify right away-the monsters are bad, yes. But I can respect most of them, black crow can go gently caress himself however. He's a loving seal he's not a bird.

I can respect them because I can see what they were aiming to do-Kikaider fought robots, which they distinguished from Cyborgs over at Kamen Rider, by removing the overtly humanoid aspects of them and making them more monstrous and abstract. So a lot of the suits are really loving big and elaborate for Toei at the time, but also really awful generally. There are a few exceptions though and they're rather beloved by me for that.

The ones that super fail however get no pity Black Crow gently caress off you dumb seal bird.

The writing has some more going on for it than the usual for the era-the aspect of Kikaider's nature as an android is gone into way more than Kamen Rider's cyborg status, and they do a few neat things with it.

The other thing to get out of the way is that this show is formulaic.

That is, not in and of itself, bad.

Might make it hard to marathon run, but then it was never designed to be watched in rapid succession, so I cannot and will not fault it there.

The fact that the show follows a formula does not make it bad. It didn't make Kamen Rider V3 bad, it doesn't make most things bad.

Its the gimmick of it that makes the show frustrating as gently caress to watch. There are three main beats to this problem. The first and most excusable is Kikaider, jiro, has an incomplete conscious circuit. That is what protects him from the evil Professor Gil's influence and control, but it's incomplete nature means that Gil can ALMOST take control, making Kikaider nearly seize up in pain and deliberation.

This by itself isn't a bad thing, and it's used effectively a few times. The issue is that it is used almost every single episode without fail at a certain point in the story in the same way to the same result and it gets old very, very fast and very annoying due to the sound of Gil's flute.

But, whatever. It's done right a few times, that's cool.

The second gimmick, almost worst, is the AMNESIA DAD ADVENTURE sub plot. Effectively, the main characters father has amnesia and is wandering around Japan, getting jobs left and right like he's David loving Banner some how, and in EVERY EPISODE until it's resolved, the main characters juuuuuuuuuuuuuust miss him or almost get him until he wanders off again.

This goes on for 30 something episodes out of a 43 or so episode series.

It is the worst kind of on going plot thread. NOTHING ever changes with it, nothing ever advances.

You could skip from the first or second episode where this gimmick is introduced, to the last episode before it's finished (not the episode where it IS finished, as they actually start moving the plot along just before it) and not miss a goddamn thing because the show just spins its wheels for 20 plus loving episodes.

The only reason this isn't the biggest load of the show is because it ends 7 episodes before the finale.

The last problem with the formula never ends.

The last problem is the Detective character, played for comic relief, and his awful lovely insult to God existence. The man is awful, with almost no morals, incompetent in the worst ways, greedy, back stabbing, and was directly responsible for people dying more than once.

And we get to deal with him every goddamn episode.

The reason he really bugs me though-Kikaider is a shockingly brutal little show. If you're a guest character, you count yourself lucky if you survive the episode. Men, women, children, all are slaughtered by the villains-except this douche bag. People can drop like flies around him, and he'll still be there smirking away making dumb jokes and acting like Scrappy loving Doo but with a ninja gimmick.

What makes this all worth it?

About 7 episodes before the finale Hakaider shows up.

Hakaider makes it all worth it.

The fights he has with Kikaider are badass, he is badass, and half of the formula problems vanish BECAUSE of him.

KIKAIDER: Good for only like the last 8 or 9 episodes.

Kikaider 01 on the flip side looks like a show that the produces created out of sheer boredom induced insanity from Kikaider and made the most badass thing they could.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I thought that the AS show was really weird back in the day but then it all made sense when I learned that it was based off of a live action series. The too-fast pacing is explained by them taking 52 (or however many) episodes and condensing it down to 13 or 26 or whatever. Them having the robot play guitar was boring in the show but probably would have been neat to watch in live action in the 70s, etc.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Fourze was introducing the cast and characters throughout most of the early episodes which is actually plot relevant to a rider Literally Powered By Friendship.

That said, the entire Ryusei arc is a black hole from which nothing but sadness and boredom escapes and it dominates almost the entire middle of the show. You could skip pretty much everything between Meteor's introduction and Cosmic States and not actually lose a single thing from the story.

Except for All of Cancer's screen time which was the best poo poo in that show. He's the best villain in that show by a mile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cliff Racer posted:

I thought that the AS show was really weird back in the day but then it all made sense when I learned that it was based off of a live action series. The too-fast pacing is explained by them taking 52 (or however many) episodes and condensing it down to 13 or 26 or whatever. Them having the robot play guitar was boring in the show but probably would have been neat to watch in live action in the 70s, etc.

The guitar stuff is actually pretty cool, it gives Jiro a nice entrance usually in every episode. And condensing down is EXACTLY what Kikaider needed. Oh my God the show is so much better now that Hakaider is around and doing poo poo.

Keep in mind, I love the Kikaider franchise as a whole. Hakaider's solo movie, the first anime (the 01 OVA can go burn in hell) I love everything I'm hearing about the TV series of Kikaider 01...just man, this was a show that utterly shot itself in the foot repeatedly.

Also one of my favorite toku series ever is Metalder, which is basically a remake in all but name and is pretty goddamn amazing.

• Locked thread