Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Fix posted:

I'm just glad it let me stop.

No kidding, this is the most addicting iOS game I've played in forever. I can't stop. It's anime coin hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Yeah, I'm not getting the Dragon Coins love at all. It's just Puzzles and Dragons with an even more annoying "combat" system. I don't believe I ever played one of those coin dozer games as a kid in the arcade, as even then I could tell how big of a rip off they were. Of course, I didn't particularly like P&D either, so I guess this genre just isn't for me.

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007
Anyone else purchase WH40k: Carnage? I guess you need friends for the multiplayer missions that reward better currency.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Klungar posted:

Yeah, I'm not getting the Dragon Coins love at all. It's just Puzzles and Dragons with an even more annoying "combat" system. I don't believe I ever played one of those coin dozer games as a kid in the arcade, as even then I could tell how big of a rip off they were. Of course, I didn't particularly like P&D either, so I guess this genre just isn't for me.

Have you been living under a rock your entire life? Cookie Clicker, Candy Crush, Flappy Bird, do I really need to go on? It isn't some big secret that poo poo like this appeals to some level of the human psyche for a sizable chunk of people.

Not that I'm defending it because I think it proves something is wrong with you in the head if you like it, but it is a thing.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

nessin posted:

Have you been living under a rock your entire life? Cookie Clicker, Candy Crush, Flappy Bird, do I really need to go on? It isn't some big secret that poo poo like this appeals to some level of the human psyche for a sizable chunk of people.

Not that I'm defending it because I think it proves something is wrong with you in the head if you like it, but it is a thing.

Oh, Cookie Clicker is my poo poo. If they ever come to iOS, I'm done for.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004

The Royal Scrub posted:

Anyone else purchase WH40k: Carnage? I guess you need friends for the multiplayer missions that reward better currency.

I just grabbed it this morning. Don't have my iPad sitting in front of me, does it go off of GC friends or do I need a friend code or something?

Vv: My throwaway/gaming FB account is ruckusr6@gmail.com if you guys want to add me.

Cloudchaos fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 11, 2014

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
^sent invite

The Royal Scrub posted:

I picked it up too but I've not yet figured out how to add friends for the fire teams.

e: Devs confirm that fire team missions require Facebook friends that play this game. Time to make a throw away account.

Gegil fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 11, 2014

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Dragon Coins is fun but it seems a bit limited. Units can only evolve once, and require a second copy of the same unit to evolve, so getting leader skills on rarer units will be a pain in the rear end. The gameplay itself is pretty simplistic, and once piles of coins start falling it almost plays itself for decent stretches.

Still, hey, free diversion.

moistninja
Oct 19, 2012

porktree posted:

Let's talk Wayward Souls. I love this game. I hate the way it works on my Air - the shield is worthless - I have been seriously injured so many times when instead of pulling up the shield it makes a swing instead. Aaaaaaaaa. Fix it Kepa please, before I go insane.

I too thought the shields were useless, maybe because I was using them like I would in Dark Souls as in putting it up right when an enemy attacks. Now I have several effective techniques such as when a large mob of those lightning jerks are around I equip it then run into the mob for a quick kill. Also helps if you suspect those drat arrow statues are around but can't see them.

I respect Kepa for this work of art and really enjoyed Mage Gauntlet as well, yet there are a few things I could critique/question:

1. When I get a hat I freeze. If there are enemies around they will usually damage me severely.

2. I love the music, but sometimes want to listen to my own music/podcast while playing and still hear the sound effects of the game, it doesn't seem to let me do that.

3. At least for the warrior, the forges seem to make my weapons suck more than the stock ones. The armor forge is the only one I use. Since all the swords have suckier power moves and are either slower or smaller (and it might be my paranoia, but it seems that when you forge something then the enemies become tougher to that upgrade).

4. I have almost maxed out my warrior, yet haven't passed the third dungeon. I'm probably not the best at this game, but when I run out of upgrades/rewards I start losing interest.

5. Would it be that bad to guarantee a health potion on one of the seven floors of a level?

6. Not a negative, but would it be possible have a speed option where everything could move 2x, 4x faster?

I hope I haven't come across as a negative nelly, since I do love this game and recommend it to people. These have just been my frustrations. BTW I am playing on iphone 4 and don't have any issues with the gameplay or controls.

Kepa up the great work!

edited #2 due to thoughtful reply

moistninja fucked around with this message at 05:14 on May 11, 2014

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

moistninja posted:

2. I love the music, but sometimes want to listen to my own music/podcast while playing. Doesn't seem to let me do that.

You need to actually go into the settings and turn off the game's music before it lets you play your own.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Dragon coins is dumb enough to get me playing!

8662-5501-3489

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dragon Coins is stupid as hell, flashy, full of weird nostalgia, free and playable for free. It's not hard to "get", come on. Sitting in front of a slot machine is completely pointless and dull too but it's addicting because it feels good for whatever idiot human triggers it sets off in our brains. The game is that with RPG and Pokemon mechanics thrown in. It's begging you to have mindless fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes but the lion with the snake-dick is weirding me out a bit.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat
I think the SEA version is behind a bit because I don't have the snakedick thing and the UI looks unpolished.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Fable Age. Keep running into a monster like a purple floating ant or something carrying a key. Hits for 9999 damage every time and it's game over. What is it, how do you beat it?

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

monkeytennis posted:

Fable Age. Keep running into a monster like a purple floating ant or something carrying a key. Hits for 9999 damage every time and it's game over. What is it, how do you beat it?

You beat it by focusing attacks on it and ignoring anything else until it's dead. It doesn't have any special defenses, it just has a pile of HP and hits like a truck.

The keys you get from those are used to access special dungeons that give you elixirs for various uses, so they're actually a good thing once you can beat them down.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

delfin posted:

You beat it by focusing attacks on it and ignoring anything else until it's dead. It doesn't have any special defenses, it just has a pile of HP and hits like a truck.

The keys you get from those are used to access special dungeons that give you elixirs for various uses, so they're actually a good thing once you can beat them down.

How do you focus? My guys seem to attack in no particular order.

SchwarzKreuz
Jun 25, 2003

monkeytennis posted:

How do you focus? My guys seem to attack in no particular order.

You just tap the unit you want to focus.

I've been hooked on this game since I started last week but I cannot for the life of me get my last 2 referrals to unlock King Thrushbeard. It looks like you used to be able to use a second device and just keep reinstalling and reusing your code but they fixed it. Tried pimping my code on Fable Ages Facebook page and even wrote a review for this dumb game. Is there a trick I'm missing maybe?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Ok I got the focus thing. These keys are bullshit though, I got 9 from some wizard and tried one of the quests. Up against some giant blue wolf thing that I couldn't damage AT ALL. Waste of time/keys.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em
Has anyone gotten firefights (Multiplayer) to work in 40k Carnage?

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

Carnage seems like it is really buggy and unstable right now. I'm on an ipad 2 and it crashes about every other level. The reviews mention the same thing on ipad 3s. Unless "Founder's edition" (still don't really know what the bonus is) is particularly worth it, I would recommend avoiding the game for now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
This came out of nowhere & I haven't gotten a chance to check it out, but there's an iOS game (a brand new platformer!) out from Pixel, the guy who did Cave Story. $5 with no IAP, it's called Kero Blaster

Dimo ArKacho
Sep 12, 2008

I'm not creative enough to come up with something good

Funso Banjo posted:

Anyone been playing this Castle Storm game that's app of the week at the minute in the uk? Looks fun from the pics, but I'd like a recommendation before dropping hours into a new game.

It's not bad. I played on steam a while ago. The IAP is kinda stupid, but if you buy the VIP thing it kinda goes away. Normally I wouldn't do that, but it's still cheaper than buying the real game on steam.

The actual game is spawning mans to die to the mans the other castle spawns while you throw rocks and poo poo at the castle to REALISTICALLY KNOCK IT OVER. It's fun enough

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I caught bits and pieces about it much much earlier in the thread but I've finally gotten around to giving Layton Bros: The Mystery Room a chance and I was wondering if unlocking the full thing was worth a shot.
It's overly simple for the first few chapters so I'm not expecting it to even out with Phoenix Wright in challenge (ya know, the occasional stumper) or length/complexity but is there any chance it cranks things up a little at least?

Edit: also Spelltower just went $1
http://appshopper.com/games/spelltower
Highly recommended.

Sad lions fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 11, 2014

Kepa
Jul 23, 2011

My goal as a game developer is just to make gnome puns

moistninja posted:

1. When I get a hat I freeze. If there are enemies around they will usually damage me severely.

2. I love the music, but sometimes want to listen to my own music/podcast while playing and still hear the sound effects of the game, it doesn't seem to let me do that.

3. At least for the warrior, the forges seem to make my weapons suck more than the stock ones. The armor forge is the only one I use. Since all the swords have suckier power moves and are either slower or smaller (and it might be my paranoia, but it seems that when you forge something then the enemies become tougher to that upgrade).

4. I have almost maxed out my warrior, yet haven't passed the third dungeon. I'm probably not the best at this game, but when I run out of upgrades/rewards I start losing interest.

5. Would it be that bad to guarantee a health potion on one of the seven floors of a level?

6. Not a negative, but would it be possible have a speed option where everything could move 2x, 4x faster?

1. We tried to deal with this by having the hats be in chests. In Mage Gauntlet little hat chests could drop from enemies, in this one we put them in the coin chests which are (usually) more out of the way of a fight. Could look at this again for another game.

2. WOOPS we always forget to do this.

3. Yeah I'm going to readjust a bunch of forge equipment stuff, as this sentiment is pretty widespread. The enemies getting tougher thing is paranoia.

4. I duno. There's always updates that add new stuff. Or you can try other characters if you get stuck.

5. Not going to increase the health potion rate. First update will make the health potions a lot better while taking away the health potion upgrades. Warrior will get two new upgrades to replace the health potion ones. Also, eventually we plan on adding monster shopkeepers. They'll probably sell a health potion as one of their inventory items.

6. Seen some suggestions where you should move faster if you clear the level, or if out of combat. This seems a little goofy to me, but might look into it later. Maybe in a future game we can just make everyone move faster? Or maybe the levels are a little too big. It's hard to say.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Kepa posted:

6. Seen some suggestions where you should move faster if you clear the level, or if out of combat. This seems a little goofy to me, but might look into it later. Maybe in a future game we can just make everyone move faster? Or maybe the levels are a little too big. It's hard to say.

The problem isn't so much movement speed in itself or the level size in itself. The movement speed can't easily be changed without unbalancing combat and traps, and the levels are a reasonable size. The problem is that sometimes you'll hit a dead end, or realise that the Emberforge is all the way back at the start of the level, and then you'll be left backtracking for what feels like five minutes. (Or alternatively, you play optimally and you want to go back several rooms to pick up a dropped axe or something...) In other words, the problem is that sometimes you have to backtrack and that this is boring as all hell.

I'm not sure how to fix this, but I think adding more sensibly-placed teleporters to levels might be a more thematic band-aid than a fast-forward button.

Also, gently caress that Catacombs hat room which is just a ten minute long spiral filled with trash zombies and skeletons, with a few real enemies at the end to kill you if you went in low on health. If I'd died before getting the hat there I think I would have ragequit the game for good.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Re: Wayward Souls movement speed/backtracking complaints. Wouldn't a simple answer be to add a sprint function? Make sprinting take energy, so that it's disadvantageous to sprint in combat or in unexplored areas, but there's no danger in sprinting back out of a dead end or back to the emberforge you missed earlier.

e: By the way, I have an effortpost coming for Wayward Souls but I want to get some more experience with the other classes before posting it. I like it a lot, though.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Sad lions posted:

I caught bits and pieces about it much much earlier in the thread but I've finally gotten around to giving Layton Bros: The Mystery Room a chance and I was wondering if unlocking the full thing was worth a shot.
It's overly simple for the first few chapters so I'm not expecting it to even out with Phoenix Wright in challenge (ya know, the occasional stumper) or length/complexity but is there any chance it cranks things up a little at least?
A bit, but mostly in the story department.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Dragon Coins is quite possibly the most shameful game on my phone. The idea behind it is kinda funny but drat does it feel like nothing but a cheap P&D knockoff in every way. The artwork and interface are particularly heinous but there's not much better about the rest of the package.

e: are there a whole bunch of these "collect monsters, level them up, fight with teams, one is the leader, recruit one from strangers every battle" types of games? P&D was the first I had encountered but I wasn't sure if it was its own genre yet

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aside from that snakedick monstrosity, most of the character artwork does seem pretty generic.

Then there's Mrs. Santa Claus with her boobs hanging out. :stonk:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Yodzilla posted:

Dragon Coins is quite possibly the most shameful game on my phone. The idea behind it is kinda funny but drat does it feel like nothing but a cheap P&D knockoff in every way. The artwork and interface are particularly heinous but there's not much better about the rest of the package.

e: are there a whole bunch of these "collect monsters, level them up, fight with teams, one is the leader, recruit one from strangers every battle" types of games? P&D was the first I had encountered but I wasn't sure if it was its own genre yet

There's a loving billion of them. There's one with a slot machine, a trivia one, some other match three, one that's just turns and special skills...it goes on and on. All with indistinguishable fuse/evolve systems.

Black Bo[X]
Feb 18, 2001

Yodzilla posted:

Tons, and believe it or not most are more blatant in their copying of PaD. At least Dragon Coins replaces the 'battle' system with something different.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I like Fable Age's Dungeon Raid ripoff system and the artwork. The mechanics in Dragon Coin seem okay/bizarre, but the artwork is just bland.

ZephroDyne
Feb 14, 2007

(*ΦωΦ) <I am nekocat
Well, I just deleted Dragon Coins to stop myself from playing it anymore. The grind also began to sit in. It was for the best.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

I wish I could rename the monsters I obtain in PAD.

Why hasn't Nintendo jumped into the mobile scene? Do they hate making money?

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

ChikoDemono posted:

Why hasn't Nintendo jumped into the mobile scene? Do they hate making money?

They like there being a reason for people to buy their hardware. Releasing true mobile games would cannibalise their current business model.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Froist posted:

They like there being a reason for people to buy their hardware. Releasing true mobile games would cannibalise their current business model.

I can't imagine why they would want to do that since their hardware is making them so much money. The 3Ds does okay I guess but the Wii-U is pretty much a stumbling corpse of a system at the moment. I'd love for them to give up on hardware, personally since they have some good stuff that I'd love to have on my phone/tablets. Sadly, they'll probably try again with a Playstation/Xbox competitor and fail again. Mostly due to their complete inability to build a competent online infrastructure and because they seem to be incapable of changing and evolving significantly to stay relevant. If it weren't for a few popular franchises, they'd be hosed.

RedRupee
Feb 25, 2012

goferchan posted:

This came out of nowhere & I haven't gotten a chance to check it out, but there's an iOS game (a brand new platformer!) out from Pixel, the guy who did Cave Story. $5 with no IAP, it's called Kero Blaster

I grabbed this. Up to White Laboratory so far (4th level I think). I'll probably write something up when I've finished the game but I'm hoping it goes for a while longer. As with Cave Story it has a lot of charm but it's a purely linear platformer so far (not a bad thing).

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Mr Scumbag posted:

Mostly due to their complete inability to build a competent online infrastructure and because [/b]they seem to be incapable of changing and evolving significantly to stay relevant[/b]

This is the point completely. Nintendo are so old school it hurts, and I'm pretty sure I saw a post where someone figured out that their cash reserves could keep them going at their current loss-making rate for another 30 years or so. Obviously shareholders would never let it go that far, but analyst reports of their imminent collapse are complete hyperbole.

Plus there's the fact Pokemon has sold over 12 million copies at $40 in the last 7 months, not to mention the 3DSes to go with it. It'd be pretty hard to see a price point that would work for iOS and still convert to similar revenues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Mr Scumbag posted:

I can't imagine why they would want to do that since their hardware is making them so much money. The 3Ds does okay I guess but the Wii-U is pretty much a stumbling corpse of a system at the moment. I'd love for them to give up on hardware, personally since they have some good stuff that I'd love to have on my phone/tablets. Sadly, they'll probably try again with a Playstation/Xbox competitor and fail again. Mostly due to their complete inability to build a competent online infrastructure and because they seem to be incapable of changing and evolving significantly to stay relevant. If it weren't for a few popular franchises, they'd be hosed.

Feels like they're really keying off the Wii's success and attributing it to motion controls and are trying to do similar things with the Wii U and 3DS (the tablet controller, the 3D imaging). OPINION: I think the Wii had a really bifurcated ownerbase - people who bought it for casual play like Wii Sports or Link's Crossbow Training, and then "actual gamers" who use it for Brawl, Xenoblade Chronicles, etc, and I think the huge sales can be attributed mostly to the first group of casual players. The problem is those people probably aren't invested in the console/brand, just the experience of throwing virtual bowling balls in your their own living room - they had no investment/desire to buy the Wii U.

iOS talk: Dragon Coins is a interesting take on the PAD formula but couldn't get into it. It also cribs off of the worst of starting to play PAD - the free IAP monster once you finish the tutorial. Re doing the tutorial for a "top-tier" IAP monster is the worst part of PAD and it looks like having one is just as influential if not more in Dragon Coins.

• Locked thread