Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Austrian mook posted:

what made mega-kangaskhan so good?

125 Attack and 100 Speed and an ability that makes every hit hit twice (the second hit does reduced damage) combined with an attack that raises your Attack by one stage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

alcharagia posted:

125 Attack and 100 Speed and an ability that makes every hit hit twice (the second hit does reduced damage) combined with an attack that raises your Attack by one stage.

To expand on this, the second attack has the same on-hit effects that the first does. Thus, Power-up Punch is effectively a Swords Dance that also is a 60 power attack that can even break a substitute mid-attack.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Austrian mook posted:

what made mega-kangaskhan so good?

Parental Bond is a crazy good ability. It's a free 50% boost to any attacking move which is really great by itself but the way it interacts with attacks with secondary effects is insane. Aside from the shenanigans with Power Up Punch (with Parental Bond its a 60 BP that grants +2 attack), you can also do stuff like a defensive set with Seismic Toss and Super Fang (with Parental Bond Seismic Toss does 200 damage and Super Fang does 75% of an opponents HP). It doesn't have great special attack, but Parental Bond is so good that you could run one regardless and smash stuff that would otherwise beat the physical sets. Overall Parental Bond gives it a ridiculous amount of options that are different enough that pokemon that might be able to beat one set would get blown up by one of the other sets.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Ziddar posted:

To expand on this, the second attack has the same on-hit effects that the first does. Thus, Power-up Punch is effectively a Swords Dance that also is a 60 power attack that can even break a substitute mid-attack.
Also, all secondary effects become more likely to happen:

Body Slam: 51% chance to Paralyze
Bite/Stomp/Rock Slide: 51% chance to Flinch
Crunch: 36% chance of lowering defense
Dizzy Punch: 36% chance to cause confusion
Secret Power: 51% of activating its effect

So any 20% chance becomes 36%, and any 30% chance becomes 51%.

Sucker Punch also hits twice which is annoying as hell to fight against. Then there's the final killer: Seismic Toss hits twice and does 100 damage each time, for 200 HP total. Anything with less than 200 HP is OHKO'd and anything with less than 400 HP (aka most of the metagame bar Chansey/Blissey) is 2HKO'd.:stare:

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 10, 2014

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Using Mega Kangaskhan is like bringing a gun to a knife fight. Worse yet when they bring along Talonflame to KO your fighting type threat for Kangaskhan.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

fade5 posted:

Seismic Toss hits twice and does 100 damage each time, for 200 HP total. Anything with less than 200 HP is OHKO'd and anything with less than 400 HP (aka most of the metagame bar Chansey/Blissey) is 2HKO'd.:stare:
If you're in Battle Spot or similar, it only does 50 damage twice. :v:

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Txn posted:

If you're in Battle Spot or similar, it only does 50 damage twice. :v:
True, but that's still a 2HKO on a hell of a lot of mons, and the only thing flat out immune to Seismic Toss are Ghost-types. Plus, all the other strategies are still just as valid at at level 50.:v:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
That sounds like a ridiculously broken ability.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

StandardVC10 posted:

That sounds like a ridiculously broken ability.

It's only really bad on a select few things. The dev team already recognized this a long while back and put out a message that can basically be summed up as "yeah we realize that now so in the future it will be less insane, sorry~"

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00DyEDmQ83s

Well that sure is new footage of ORAS.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00DyEDmQ83s

In the Japanese TV show where the footage premiered, they also talked about Groudon and Kyogre looking different on the box art and mentioned that they could possibly be Mega evolutions, but wouldn't confirm it.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Level Slide posted:

Well that sure is new footage of ORAS.

By Arceus, I never would have guessed those two Pokémon would be in it.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

That was a painful hour. They always do that, why do I keep falling for it?

Next time I'll just :f5: serebii, he got that up really drat quick.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Is it just me, or is there no sound during the actual footage? I hear a woosh when it says "A sneak peek" but then nothing.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Like, gently caress, I knew there wouldn't be much of anything at all, but I assumed it'd be one or two towns being shown in game, without the main characters or something. I set my bar pretty low and still feel ripped off.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Waffleman_ posted:

Is it just me, or is there no sound during the actual footage? I hear a woosh when it says "A sneak peek" but then nothing.

There's a rumbling noise but there's text under the video that says "SOUND NOT IN GAME".

Honestly this "Sneak Peak" seems more like "Check out this sweet animation we just rendered".

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Emalde posted:

It's only really bad on a select few things. The dev team already recognized this a long while back and put out a message that can basically be summed up as "yeah we realize that now so in the future it will be less insane, sorry~"

I don't know, it'd probably be broken on most things. Khangaskan was incredibly average before it got the Mega Evolution and that ability shot it straight up to Ubers. There are some pokemon that wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, but for the most part almost anything would appreciate a straight +50% even without factoring in the other potential effects.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Parental Bond means that Mega Kangaskhan effectively gets STAB om every move while also having Adaptability+ with Serene Grace while being able to smash through Substitutes

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Team Lapras vs Krookodile, Tokekiss, Charizard X, Ampharos, Nintetails, & Goodra:
AKBG-WWWW-WWW7-BDT4
This fight went pretty badly, my opponent did a good job at disrupting the water absorb heal

Skuntank, Ursaring, Jellicent, Mega Heracross, Rapidash, & Mismagius vs Tyranitar, Mega Kangaskhan, Alakazam, Wash Rotom, Dragonite, Muk:
XGFW-WWWW-WWW7-BDTD (single battle)
This was a fun fight and I got pretty lucky at times

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
So I want to start battling competitively, at least online. In true Pokemon Gym leader fashion, I want to try and run a basically mono-type, Poison team (with exceptions for dual types, like Skorupi). Is this remotely feasible? And what are the absolute best resources for a fledgeling, scrubby trainer? (I feel like Smogon is a little too in-depth for me at this point.) Thanks!

madeupfred
Oct 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I'm one the edge of my seat. What's gonna happen next.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

So I want to start battling competitively, at least online. In true Pokemon Gym leader fashion, I want to try and run a basically mono-type, Poison team (with exceptions for dual types, like Skorupi). Is this remotely feasible? And what are the absolute best resources for a fledgeling, scrubby trainer? (I feel like Smogon is a little too in-depth for me at this point.) Thanks!

Mono-type teams are a bad idea in general. I suppose Poison isn't the worst type you could pick, but pretty much anyone running a Fairy-type like Azumarill or Togekiss (or a vulnerable Grass-type like Chesnaught) is going to be able to swap in a Steel-type like Ferrothorn or Aegislash.

AzureKing
Nov 2, 2012

One day I shall return to your side.

While I wouldn't recommend starting off with a mono-type team, here's what I think would work well. This is a rudimentary team using smogon rules.

Gengar@Life Orb
252SpAttk/252Spe

Nature: Timid

Ability: Levitate

Moves:
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Dazzling Gleam/Dark Pulse
Sludge Bomb

Venusaur@Venusaurite
252 HP/252 SpAttk

Nature: Modest

Ability: Chlorophyll/Overgrow

Moves:
Leech Seed
Giga Drain
Hidden Power (Preferably Fire or Ice)
Sludge Bomb

Drapion@Black Sludge
252Attk/252Spe

Nature:Jolly

Ability:Sniper

Moves:
Swords Dance
Knock Off
Earthquake
Poison Jab

Crobat@Assault Vest
252Spe/252Spd
Nature:Gentle

Ability: Infiltrator

Moves:
Heat Wave
Sludge Bomb
Brave Bird
U-turn

Nidoking:@Choice Scarf
252SpAttk/252Spe

Nature: Timid/Modest

Abiltiy: Sheer Force

Moves:
Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave
Flamethrower/Fire Blast
Thunderbolt/Thunder
Earth Power

Tentacruel:@Leftovers
252SpD/252Spe

Nature:Calm

Ability: Rain Dish/Clear Body

Moves
Rapid Spin
Scald
Toxic
Ice Beam

Now I'm not claiming any of these sets as my own, they're basically Smogon's with little to no modifications. And if you don't have any of these pokemon send me a PM or message me on IRC and I'll try and get them to you. Watch out for earthquakes and psychics. :D Just remember to watch out for steel types.

Edit: As for best resources, Goons on #pokegoons and #smogoff are always willing to help you out. As for actualy websites, I believe bulbapedia and Serebii have complete movesets for every pokemon, so they're always good to look at. And I think Nugget Bridge works for VGC? I don't use that site but I think others do.

AzureKing fucked around with this message at 03:04 on May 11, 2014

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

Keep in mind that people online are pretty merciless in their team building so you're putting yourself at a severe disadvantage in an already competitive environment. If you are dead set on going through with it though, I would focus on covering up poison's natural weaknesses. Drapion is a great pick due to his immunity to psychic and any poison type with levitate will do you good if you want to avoid ground type moves. Smogon would still be your best resource in figuring out what kind moves you want to stick on your mons, at the very least.

EDIT: ^^^ That's actually a pretty solid team to go with. It naturally covers up a lot of holes in your game.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Crusaderking posted:

Watch out for earthquakes and psychics. :D Just remember to watch out for steel types.

And may every god ever imagined help you if your opponent has a Metagross.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Technogeek posted:

And may every god ever imagined help you if your opponent has a Metagross.

Gengar can handle Metagross fairly easily anymore.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

PSWII60 posted:

Gengar can handle Metagross fairly easily anymore.

I was more trying to play off your reference to Steel-types, Psychic-types, and Earthquake. But yes, for countering Gengar I'd probably try for a fast Dark- or Psychic-type. Possibly switch in a Sucker Punch Kangaskhan if you can predict Shadow Ball.

EDIT: And, of course, if he hasn't gone Mega Gengar yet.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Like, gently caress, I knew there wouldn't be much of anything at all, but I assumed it'd be one or two towns being shown in game, without the main characters or something. I set my bar pretty low and still feel ripped off.

At least some great fan art has come of the thing.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Why all the hate for Mega Kangaskhan?

She's the entire reason you can destroy just about any threat in Super Single Battle Maison if you anticipate every enemy team. :v:

And you should enjoy her now before she gets nerfed to useless next generation.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

LEGO Genetics posted:

Why all the hate for Mega Kangaskhan?

She's the entire reason you can destroy just about any threat in Super Single Battle Maison if you anticipate every enemy team. :v:

And you should enjoy her now before she gets nerfed to useless next generation.

That's the thing: it's an amazing powerhouse, but fighting one is absolutely no fun at all.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
That seemed to be the issue with megas in general. They seem to be getting into power creep territory, all the pokemon that got mega evos were really good already, gyarados, gengar etc. They made lots of already really good pokemon better and made some crazy broken. This was my big worry with X/Y, is this off base or mostly accurate?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Some of the strongest mega evolutions are of pokemon that were poor-to-useless before, like Pinsir, Mawile, Medicham, Manectric, and of course Kangaskhan.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Everyone seems to agree that some Megas are utterly broken, but nobody can agree which ones are. Except for the usual suspects like Gengar and Blaziken.

Same for which Megas are useless. Any time a "this mega is useless" comment is brought up, a few defenders come out of the woodwork to bring up its strengths.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've said it before, but the best way to balance over-powered Mega Pokemon is to add even more Mega Pokemon that are over-powered in totally different but equally viable ways.

Ghost Head
Sep 16, 2008
Please god let the next game have mega watchog.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Ghost Head posted:

Please god let the next game have mega watchog.

mega bidoof. Yes, bidoof.

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Mega Wigglytuff with Boomburst and an ability that makes all sound moves priority. :colbert:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Austrian mook posted:

Mega Farfetch'd, except unironically.

Edit: The best fanart came from the footage though.

Source is http://protocol00.tumblr.com

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 11, 2014

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Austrian mook posted:

Mega Bidoof with a new ability that combines the effects of Simple and Moody. Smogon implodes in on itself in their haste to ban it.

As a bonus, here is a replay of Luvdisk saving the day after a bunch of hax crippled the rest of the team http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/randombattle-118786142

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Mega Luvdisc, and have it just be Alomomola.

• Locked thread