Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Goon probably had some food on him. Those deer will swarm you if you do, and completely ignore you otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Poil posted:

I don't know what to say about that trip other than: :3:

Me too. :3: This game is really sweet.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

vibratingsheep posted:

The smart thing to do is to go straight home and ignore the letter. However, Goon's not one to stand down from a fight - and besides, this has an impact on Akane's affection.

Actually, it has an impact on everyone's affection, but let's ignore that for now and let's rumble!

I presume you'll be explaining this in a later update?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

vibratingsheep posted:

Goon: Hey, Akai-san!
Homura: ...
Goon: A, Akai-san!
Goon: (Did I hurt Akai-san when I wasn't looking?)

Yep! It's Homura. It shouldn't be that surprising since we spent some time antagonizing her - the really surprising part is that she doesn't hate Goon anymore.

True Justice is magnanimous.

The Akane route is pretty :3: so far though.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

FredMSloniker posted:

I presume you'll be explaining this in a later update?

Whoops, forgot to explain that later in the post.

Winning in the mini-boss banchou fights leads to a slight bump in every girl's opinion of you, just like getting first place at the sports festival or getting a top score on tests.

More detail will be provided later in the Akane route.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Are the banchous going to turn out to all be Akane's brothers or something?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Or her underlings.

Or her brother's underlings.

It's gotta be something like that.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Akane stream is live!

http://www.twitch.tv/vibratingsheep

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Breaking news: Sheep outed as Valkyria Chronicles 2 hater. Full story coming soon.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Akane route, Chapter 6: Playing with fire

9/25: Kasumi joins the cast

Nothing's different from before. She comes in for a couple weeks, makes Jun vomit all over his shoes, and leaves. I'll skip all of that.

9/26: Homura's trip to the principal's office

Again, nothing different from last time. The only notable thing is how much the 2nd year class change allows a girl to catch up - we're actually friendly enough with Homura to start seeing her events without actually trying.

10/5: Fireball Banchou

In case you were wondering, these bosses are not exclusive to the Akane route. They also appear if you go to the same location enough times in a row that you get into two fights there. Four bosses, four waiting spots foor dates. If you meet them in the Akane route without them coming to fight you in order, then the game will skip whichever one you've met.

But enough talk. Have at you!

The video version of this event is on Youtube at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC-V_W8K_OA

Get your rear end out to the riverside park after school today!

Taking the option to go to the river leads to a meeting with the Fireball Banchou, who pretty much came straight out of the the 1970s to fight you.

Fireball: Alright! You're here!
Goon: Who-who're you?
Fireball: My name is Yotsuya Kouji. I'm also known as Fireball Banchou!
Fireball: Bring it on!

So here we go against the Fireball Banchou. Fireball Banchou has about 3300 more hit points than Muscle Banchou, which means he can suck up one extra attack compared to his predecessor.

His main attack is the Fireball Punch, which does double duty as both the origin of his nickname and as a reference to his time as a baseball player.

Unsurprisingly, he's weak to ice magic, so if you have a high Lit score, it's very easy to take him out with the Blizz series of spells. In this run, the element that Goon is good with is Punching, so we're just gonna stick with that.

Fireball Banchou uses the same limit break as the baseball club, called Omoi Kondara. It's a reference to a famously misheard lyric from the classic baseball anime Star of the Giants. The first words of the opening song are "omoikondara", which means "if you set your heart on it" but is also a pun for "heavy Kondara".

What's a Kondara? Well, it wasn't anything until people associated it with the grounds rollers used to maintain a baseball field, which you can see here being dragged around by Fireball Banchou. So whatever this thing was called before the '60s, it became a popular joke to call it a Kondara because of the song, and the name's stuck ever since.

When you defeat him, Fireball Banchou drops the "Big League Ball training apparatus" used by Hoshi Hyuma in the Star of the Giants series, the Phoenix Jacket, and the Flame Cap. Once again, these have no bearing on the rest of the game and are there just for jokes.

This is what the Big League Ball training apparatus looks like:

Fireball Banchou weeps the same kind of manly tears seen on losing pitchers of big games in sports manga, and says

Fireball Banchou: drat, you're not bad! But you're still no match for Soubanchou!
Goon: (Who's Soubanchou?)

10/18: Date invitation from Hikari

Hikari: Gunma-kun!
Goon: Hey, Hikari. What's up?
Hikari: I wanna go to the amusement park this Sunday, mind coming with me?
Option 1: Gladly!
Option 2: Sorry, I can't.

It's been a few months since we appeased Hikari, so there's no harm in saying yes.

10/20: Fall Cleaning(?)

Bakuretsuzan: To all students!
Bakuretsuzan: This is a bit abrupt, but I have accepted a proposal from the student council and will be cancelling classes this afternoon in favor of a major cleanup project!
Goon: A proposal from the student council? What?
Bakuretsuzan: I would especially like those of you in charge of the grounds to be very thorough and rake up all of the leaves.
Bakuretsuzan: That's all - I'm leaving this in your capable hands!

Goon: There weren't many leaves in my area, so that ended up being pretty easy.
Homura: Hey, no fair! I claimed that one!
Bakuretsuzan: Don't make such a fuss, there are plenty more.
Goon: Is that Akai-san? What's she doing?
Goon: Sounds like she's behind the gym.
Homura: drat, we'll have to wait so long for them to finish 'cuz we don't have enough fuel.
Goon: Hey, Akai-san, what're you do--

Homura: Wha? What're you doing here?
Goon: ...
Goon: Did you really call for us to clean up the school so you could do this?

Homura: N, no, this was just a nice little bonus. Right, Kazumi-chan?
Bakuretsuzan: Yes, you must not waste all of the resources at your disposal.
Goon: You're pretty unconvincing with your hands full of roast sweet potatoes.

10/22: Date with Hikari

After riding the roller coaster...

Hikari: That part at the beginning of a roller coaster where you're slowly going up is so exciting, don't you think?
Option 1: You think so? It really annoys me.
Option 2: It's like the calm before the storm!
Option 3: I get most excited while I'm in line...

Goon: It's like the calm before the storm!
Hikari: Well said! It's like crossing a mountain and suddenly hitting a waterfall!
Hikari: Even if you know what's coming, it's pretty scary.
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression!)

10/26: Goon's birthday

Thank goodness for Goon's birthday coming here, otherwise we would've gone a full post in the Akane route without Akane actually showing up!

Akane: Goon-kun!
Goon: Hey, Ichimonji-san. What's up?
Akane: Happy birthday. Here, from me to you.
Goon: What? Really? Thanks, I wonder what's inside?
Akane: Uh, open it later, please. When you're alone.
Akane: I'd feel embarrassed. It's nothing too special, but...
Goon: I'm sure there's nothing to worry about.
Goon: Thanks, I'm looking forward to finding out what it is.
Akane: It'd be nice if you liked it...
Akane: Okay, I have to go.

Bomb warning after school, leading to a status check the next Sunday.

We'll have to take care of Homura later, but it's not a big priority yet, because we still need to train for boss rush mode!

Next time: A cold wind from the north

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

quote:

This is what we're missing out on, people!

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

vibratingsheep posted:

Homura: Wha? What're you doing here?
Goon: Did you really call for us to clean up the school so you could do this?

Homura: N, no, this was just a nice little bonus. Right, Kazumi-chan?
Bakuretsuzan: Yes, you must not waste all of the resources at your disposal.
Goon: You're pretty unconvincing with your hands full of roast sweet potatoes.

It is probably a good thing I have never really had aspirations to education. Because, Lord knows, if I was the principal of a high school and could get away with it, I'd do poo poo like this all the time. But the school board would probably have something to say about that...

Best principal so far. Homura is the best.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Akane route, Chapter 7: Time's up

11/1: A Stranger I Remain

As usual, I've made a video of this fight and put it up on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87GtzAO0L2E

After school today, come on out to the riverside.

Choosing to go meets you up with this fellow, whose design borrows a lot from Cyborg 002.

Kogarashi: Hmph. You've got some guts.
Goon: Who're you?
Kogarashi: Hmph. Me? I'm Kanda Akiba. Though some people call me the Kogarashi Banchou.
Goon: Kogarashi Banchou...
Kogarashi: Hmph... something wrong? Bring it on. I'll test your strength.

Kogarashi is the Withering Wind, the Japanese name for the cold north wind.

Just like his brethren, Kogarashi Banchou has two attacks: First, the unfortunate-looking Onsoku Special, which is named after a Getter Robo attack, the Mach Special.

The second one he uses is the True Acala Bamboo Breaker, which happens to be the exact same attack that the main character learns if he spends three years in the Kendo club. For all of its theatrics, it doesn't really hurt that much when you get hit by it, as long as you have a decent Guts score.

He's weak to flame magic, but since this Goon has an awful awful art score, we'll just stick to punching him in the face and healing until he goes down.

When he goes down, he drops the Legendary Wooden Sword (a play on the Legendary Tree of Tokimeki Memorial 1), a rosary, or a Cool Hat. As usual, these items have no effect on the rest of the game.

His parting words are:

Kogarashi: Hmph... you're pretty good. Good - you'll need to be...
Goon: Hey!

11/3: Culture festival, year 2

Goon: (Today's the culture festival!)

Goon: Hey, Ichimonji-san.
Akane: Do, uh, do you happen to be alone right now?
Akane: Truth is, I am too.
Akane: How about we spend the day together?
Option 1: Alright, let's see the sights!
Option 2: Sorry, I can't...

Akane: Really? Good!
Akane: Okay, let's go.
Goon: (So, where should we go?)
Option 1: The drama club
Option 2: The computer club
Option 3: The concert band
Option 4: The tea ceremony club

After leaving this decision to my stream viewers, we settled on seeing the concert band. Akane actually enjoys the tea ceremony the most, but it really doesn't matter that much right now.

Akane: I wonder what they're gonna play this year?
Goon: I heard it's from some guy named Handel.
Akane: Hmm, the name doesn't ring a bell.
Goon: It's going to start soon, so we can at least listen and see if we like it.

The song played is a PlayStation-era brass band composition of Music for the Royal Fireworks.

Akane: Hearing a brass band live is so intense and incredible.
Goon: Yeah, and our seats were in the front row, so my ears hurt.
Akane: What was that big horn called, again? Oh, the tuba, the tuba.
Akane: That's kinda cute, like an elephant.
Goon: (Huh, that's a weird reason to like it.)

Goon: So, how'd you like this year's culture festival?
Akane: This is how it always is.
Akane: We make a big fuss getting ready for it, and then before you know it, it's over.
Goon: (Yeah, it was definitely too short.)

11/12: Hiking with Akane

Akane's fall outfit.

Akane: The sun shining through the autumn leaves is beautiful.
Option 1: The veins of the leaves stand out in stark contrast.
Option 2: The red scenery is like the sun's energy.
Option 3: It's really pretty to see through the leaves for an instant when you're walking by.

An ambiguous choice, and difficult to translate, to boot! Two good choices, one "meh" choice.

Goon: It's really pretty to see through the leaves for an instant when you're walking by.
Akane: Yeah, and it changes depending on your angle.
Akane: It's so nice to look up while you're hiking in the mountains in fall.
Goon: (Looks like I made a pretty good impression.)

11/26: Bomb-clearing date with Homura

Homura in late fall.

Goon: This theater's playing Marageddon right now.
Homura: I dunno that one. Is it good?
Goon: The commercial on TV looked fun.
Homura: If the trailer was good, then it should be fun.

Goon's description pretty much doesn't need to be translated - he just gives a synopsis of Armageddon.

Goon: That movie was awesome!
Homura: Yeah, it was so good I almost wanna see it again.

12/2: Kotoko's birthday

Went with the lipstick as a gift this year, the "oh, thanks" gift. Safety!

Screenshot included because it's amusing.

12/6: The Delinquent is a Part-Timer

As usual, video of this "fight" is up at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=entLML7VFBc

Come to the riverside park after school today. It's a date~

Part-Time: Hey hey, brrrooooo
Goon: Who're you?
Part-Time: Whaaaat? You tryin' to say you don't know who I am?
Part-Time: A'ight, listen up and listen up good.
Part-Time: I'm the Baito Banchou!
Part-Time: I dun have any grudge with you, boy, but you hafta die.

Baito is a loanword from German, where Arbeit means part-time job.

The Baito Banchou is the picture of a classic Sukeban, a kind of female delinquent popular in the '70s and '80s. Using a yo-yo as a weapon isn't actually that silly in that kind of world, but as you'll see, she's not exactly taking this fight seriously.

Part-Time: You'll get hurt!

Part-Time: Get ready!

Part-Time: Here we go!

Part-Time: Whoa there! Looks like time's up.
Part-Time: Later, boy! See you again!

The fight just kinda ended!!

After her fierce display of yo-yo skills, the oddly familiar-looking Baito Banchou takes her leave.

She's nice enough to leave behind three items: a Choudenpa Yo-Yo (a reference to Combattler V's Choudenji Yo-Yo), a nice-smelling headband, and a Philosopher's Stone. And now that she's gone, all that's left after the "fight" is to wonder

Goon: (Wh, what the hell was that?)

Next time: A surprisingly uneventful winter.

Confused Llama
Jan 15, 2008
The llama is a quadruped which lives in big rivers like the Amazon. It has two ears, a heart, a forehead, and a beak for eating honey. But it is provided with fins for swimming.
I suppose the obvious thing to ask is what happens if you actually attack the Baito Banchou.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Confused Llama posted:

I suppose the obvious thing to ask is what happens if you actually attack the Baito Banchou.

She takes damage as normal, but she has 99,999 hit points and you aren't getting through that in 3 turns.

There's also an interesting interaction when you fight the Baito Banchou with Kasumi in your party. She lets out a quick "Crap... Kasumi!" line that is an even deader giveaway about who the mysterious Baito Banchou is.

Skyfinder
Dec 28, 2012
Hmmmm....

Hmmmmmmmmm.......

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

Yeah, I dunno guys, that disguise is rock solid. Don't have a clue who it could be.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

That doesn't make any sense. :psyduck:

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Looking around a bit, the yo-yo seems to be a reference to Sukeban Deka. Apparently, the manga adventures of a yo-yo wielding undercover cop were popular enough to spawn a dozen adaptions across tv, movies, anime, and video games.

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

vibratingsheep posted:

6/25: Hikari's birthday

We've already seen the event version of this, and there's no particular need to make Hikari really happy at this point, so it's best just to give her the good gift, not the best gift.

Pardon for this one being a few updates behind, and I know it's because you need to game the system but God :drat: is that a cold statement.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

7c Nickel posted:

Looking around a bit, the yo-yo seems to be a reference to Sukeban Deka. Apparently, the manga adventures of a yo-yo wielding undercover cop were popular enough to spawn a dozen adaptions across tv, movies, anime, and video games.

Yup, I immediately had that thought. I've read the few fan-translated chapters of Sukeban Deka out there, and it's pretty over the top in a fun way. It features a motorcycle race with deadly snakes attacking and stuff like that. Also, lubriciously evil villains and a daring prison escape. A very 1970s series.

It was decently famous, and if you see a yo-yo wielding delinquent girl, it's almost certainly a reference to this series.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Homura's loving fall outfit. :psyduck:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

inthesto posted:

Homura's loving fall outfit. :psyduck:

I love how everything about her personality is giving no fucks.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I gotta say, I am really digging this Banchou storyline.

But how can you even bring anybody to fight them? It's not a date or anything.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
If I were to guess, you have to fight them alone if you encounter them on Akane's route, but sheep mentioned you can also run into them as fights the same way you run into the normal punks so that's where you can fight them with a date.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Opposing Farce posted:

If I were to guess, you have to fight them alone if you encounter them on Akane's route, but sheep mentioned you can also run into them as fights the same way you run into the normal punks so that's where you can fight them with a date.

You have it right.

As far as I can tell, these guys were designed for Akane's route, and they were inserted as the bosses of the 4 date locations because someone on the team said "We might as well use these assets somewhere!"

There's a good amount of info on these guys in the supplementary material that I'll go into later, when it's not a spoiler.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Is the last one we fought just as, uh...nonchalant about her job when you face her as a date site boss?

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Akane route, chapter 8: Peace and quiet

12/11-12/15: Midterms

Goon: Eh, not bad.

76th: Fudou Gunma
122nd: Hokari Jun'ichirou
125th: Hinomoto Hikari
128th: Sakaki Takumi
131st: Minazuki Kotoko
248th: Ichimonji Akane
310th: Akai Homura

Akane: Goon-kun
Goon: Hey, Ichimonji-san.
Akane: Hey, how'd you do on your tests?
Goon: Not bad, I guess. How did you do?
Akane: Me? Not good at all.
Akane: I mean, I don't really care about my grades, and I don't have time to study anyway.
Goon: (When she puts it like that, it feels kind of stupid to care so much about my grades.)

12/17: Kendo exhibition

Another Goon victory!

12/22: Takumi hands over the Ijuuin Christmas ticket

The dialogue is the same as in the previous run.

12/24: The Ijuuin Christmas party

Here's the interesting part about the Christmas party on this run. Hikari is the only person we run into. No Jun + Homura, no Akane... just Hikari.

Oh, and this happened too. Every time, I swear.

1/1: The New Year!

This year's New Year's cards are...

Hikari's card, which is the same as before.

Goon: Here's Ichimonji-san's card.
Goon: It's just like her to send a simple card like this.

Happy new year.
Last year, you were a big help to me.
Let's have another good year this year.

Goon: Here's Akai-san's card.
Goon: Welp.

HAPPY NEW YEAR

There is an arrow pointing at the splotch, and written sideways is "It dripped."

There are no words.

Takumi and Jun's cards are also the same as before.

(ding dong!)
Goon: Coming!

Goon: Oh, hey, Ichimonji-san!
Akane: Happy new year!
Goon: Happy new year to you, too.
Akane: Hey, want to go with me for hatsumoude?
Goon: Yeah, let's go!
Akane: Really? That's great!
Akane: Go get ready, I'll be waiting.
Goon: Okay. I'll go change right now.
Akane: Take your time, I can wait.

Goon: Oh, you're in a haregi today.
Akane: Y, yeah. What do you think?
Akane: It's my mom's, so it's kind of old...
Option 1: Don't you look just like your mom?
Option 2: It suits you perfectly. You look cute.
Option 3: That's pretty out of style.

Goon: It suits you perfectly. You look cute.
Akane: N, no way.
Akane: Thanks.
Goon: Shall we?
Akane: Uh-huh!

Akane: Hatsumoude is the first memorable event of the year, isn't it.
Goon: Yeah, I suppose so.
Akane: Thanks partly to the cold, I'm literally shivering in anticipation.
Akane: Let's hurry up and pay our respects.
Goon: (She's really into it this year.)

Goon: What should I wish for?

I broke my own rule for the first time here and wished for health here, thanks to the demands of the Akane route. We need some Stamina in order to be able to fight against Soubanchou, so I actually wished for health!

Goon: I wish for a healthy year.

It was worth 22 extra Stamina, which wasn't great overall, but we can use all the help we can get in that department, and Akane has proven that she doesn't care about grades that much.

Akane: Hey, are you okay going home without pulling your fortune?
Goon: Well...
Goon: Alright, let's do it!
Akane: I figured as much. Let's go.

Goon: Let's see, this year's luck is...
Goon: K, Kyou (bad fortune).
Goon: (How did Ichimonji-san do?)

Akane: So, how's this year look for you?
Goon: Here, see your yourself.
Goon: Hey, come to think of it, did you not pull one?
Akane: Yeah. It's a waste, don't you think?
Akane: You pay your money, and if you get something bad on there, then you start your year feeling bad.
Goon: (Hmm, I guess I shouldn't expect any less from her, but...)

Akane: Whew, that was a huge crowd. I'm pretty tired.
Goon: Yeah, I hear that.
Akane: Now, when I get home, I'm going to do a whole lot of nothing!
Akane: I'll just lie around, and enjoy sleeping through the new year!
Akane: I don't get a real holiday like this very often.
Goon: Yeah, you're normally so busy.
Goon: Good luck this coming year, too.
Akane: Thanks.

1/7: Tower date with Akane

The wild Akane in winter. Also of note, some time in the past few months, she started liking Goon enough to show up for dates early.

Goon: This tower has a great view from the observation deck.
Akane: Really? I love being up high.
Goon: That's great. Let's get up there!

Akane: Wow, what a great view!
Option 1: Yeah, this is perfectly picturesque.
Option 2: The view from a plane is way better.
Option 3: This is the perfect height to enjoy the view from.

Goon: Yeah, this is perfectly picturesque.
Akane: Yeah, there's not much more to say than that.
Akane: How wonderful!

Next time: I'll be running straight through the last stretch of the game on my stream, and then finishing up the Akane route over the next few posts. Hopefully, I'll be done in time to take a break over Memorial Day. And if you're wondering, yes, the Akane route is backloaded - there are 7 unique Akane events packed into 5 game months coming up!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 17, 2014

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
A couple questions: Are the walking home events your only opportunity to change what you call somebody, and are those events completely random? Because it seems like you've been beyond the formality of "Ichimonji-san" for a while now.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Does Akane not like the movies? I don't think you've taken her yet.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Glazius posted:

Does Akane not like the movies? I don't think you've taken her yet.

She's less inclined to like activities that cost a lot of money, so she doesn't really like concerts and movies that much. Walks in the park, hikes, sightseeing, swimming, and singing are more up her alley.

Alpha3KV posted:

A couple questions: Are the walking home events your only opportunity to change what you call somebody, and are those events completely random? Because it seems like you've been beyond the formality of "Ichimonji-san" for a while now.

Yes, they're the only opportunity to change what you call somebody, and while the events are random, they're biased toward activities and who's in your class - also, Miho has a doubled chance to show up, for some reason.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

vibratingsheep posted:

also, Miho has a doubled chance to show up, for some reason to gently caress with you further.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Thursday stream - going through to the end of the Akane route tonight or bust! (Possibly just gonna bust)

Stream (and Akane route) done!. Next post tomorrow night.

Preview:

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 16, 2014

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

vibratingsheep posted:

Thursday stream - going through to the end of the Akane route tonight or bust! (Possibly just gonna bust)

Didn't we come really close to decking Takumi for mentioning Akane and bust in the same sentence?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I like how Akane takes the lead sometimes. It's a nice change from constantly being the guy to invite girls to places.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Akane route, chapter 9: A time to love

1/25: Change of address

Akane: Goon-kun Goon-kun!

Been a while since Akane showed up - it's well past time to change $name to something more friendly than "Ichimonji-san". The only name that Akane doesn't like is "Ichimonji-chan", so I went for "Akane". She only allows people who are very close to her to call her that, and it's also easiest for me to type!

Goon: Hey, Akane. What's up?
Akane: Say... if you don't have anything else to do, want to walk home with me?
Goon: Yeah, that's fine.
Akane: Yay, I was scared you'd say no.
Akane: I don't have to work today.
Goon: Cool, let's walk.

2/14: Valentine's Day

Hikari: Gunma-kun!
Goon: Hey Hikari.
Hikari: Ummmm... here, take this.
Goon: Oh, thanks. Wait, did you make this yourself?
Hikari: I worked really hard on this, but I have no idea if it actually tastes good. Later!
Goon: Wait. Hikari?
Goon: (What's she so worried about?)

Takumi: Yo!
Goon: Yo, Takumi.
Takumi: You get your Valentine's chocolate yet?
Goon: Well, uh, you know...
Takumi: You don't have to lie to me. If you're feeling lonely, I'll give you some of my haul.
Girl: Takumi-kuuun, I'll give you some chocolate if you come over here~!
Takumi: Yes ma'am!
Girl: Oh, Takumi-kun, you're sooooo cute!
Takumi: Tee-hee!
Goon: (...I can't believe they're buying it.)

Goon: (Hey, it's Jun)
Goon: Hey! Jun!
Jun: Huh? Oh. Yo.
Goon: So? What's the deal?
Goon: Did you get chocolate from Akai-san?

Jun: ...
Jun: yes
Goon: What was that?
Jun: Yes.
Goon: Way to go, man!
Jun: Yeah...
Goon: (He's so innocent.)

Homura: Gunma!
Goon: Hey, Akai-san.
Homura: Shake!
Goon: Huh?
Goon: Uh, sure.
Homura: Who's a good boy? Who's a good boy?
Homura: You're a good boy!
Homura: Here's your treat - a chocolate!
Goon: (I, I'm not sure how I feel about this.)

Hopefully she treated Jun a little bit better than she treats her dog.

Akane: Umm, uh...
Goon: A, Akane?
Akane: Th, this is something that people across Japan are doing like it's nothing.
Akane: So, um, don't read too far into it. Okay?
Akane: Anyway, here, I made some chocolate.
Akane: Please take it!
Goon: (She ran off.)

3/1: Bomb warning!

Yeah, we're gonna have to get used to this on this route.

3/3: Bomb located.

Yup. It's Hikari again. Poor girl.

3/5-3/9: Finals

Goon: Eh, not bad.

90th: Fudou Gunma
92nd: Hinomoto Hikari
102nd: Hokari Jun'ichirou
141st: Minazuki Kotoko
177th: Sakaki Takumi
267th: Ichimonji Akane
309th: Akai Homura

Someone asked me if anyone in Tokimemo 2 is a top student, since there were so many honors students in the first Tokimemo. Well, Kasumi was a model student, and Mei is probably plenty smart, but there's no Shiori in this game. Homura is pretty much the Anti-Shiori.

3/11: Please don't bomb me, Hikari.

Hikari: They're so little, and they're flying all over the place!
Hikari: It's unbelievable!
Option 1: We should watch for every jump.
Option 2: It's important for them to keep their balance mid-air.
Option 3: That springboard looks suspicious to me.

I have to admit, it took me a while to figure out that she was talking about the acrobats.

Goon: It's important for them to keep their balance mid-air.
Hikari: Oh, I see.
Hikari: It must be really hard for them when they're up in the air.

3/14: White Day

Takumi: Hey, could you help me hand out my White Day gifts?
Goon: Why should I?
Takumi: I'm just joking. Later~!

Jun: Hmph. How pointless...
Goon: Jun, Did you already give your gift to Akai-san?

Jun: Y, yeah... she, she was really happy.
Goon: (Good for you, Jun.)

Goon: Alright, who should I give this to?
Option 1: Hikari
Option 2: Akane
Option 3: Homura
Option 4: Nobody

Goon: I wonder if Akane's around.
Goon: Oh, hey, Akane!

Akane: Oh! Wh, what's up?
Goon: Here, Akane.
Akane: Wait, is this - is this a White Day present?
Goon: Yeah. The Valentine's Day chocolate was delicious.
Akane: Oh, wow, thanks.
Akane: I wasn't expecting anything like this.
Akane: A, anyway, I'm in a hurry, so I can't stick around.
Goon: (She was really uneasy, I wonder what the heck is going on?)

3/15: Bomb warning!

This one is definitely not Hikari, which means it's Homura. This should be interesting.

3/18: Kendo match

Hibikino High wins!

Notably, the opposing school this time was named Justice High, which seems to be a reference to Rival Schools. And, in bro news, Jun has watched every single one of Goon's matches, I just haven't been noting it since the dialogue's been the same for a year.

4/5: Year 3 begins

Jun: Looks like we're in the same class again.
Goon: Yeah. Let's keep it going smoothly.
Takumi: Hey, I'm in too!
Jun: ...
Takumi: Hey, what's with the cold shoulder?
Takumi: Geez, whose notes have you two been relying on, huh?
Jun: Ack...
Goon: Ack...
Takumi: Well, You know what they say, we're all in the same boat now. Let's keep it friendly.
Jun: Yeah...
Goon: ...Yessir.

Goon: Hey, Akane.
Akane: Looks like we're in the same class this year.
Goon: I hope it's going to be a fun year.
Akane: Yeah, seriously.
Akane: But I know it's going to be fun.
Akane: I'm really confident about that, for some reason.
Goon: (What's she mean by that? Well, anyway, I'm glad we're in the same class.)

The Kasumi reveal is the same as before, and I'm skipping it.

4/8: Clearing Homura's bomb

Informal poll: Do you guys think that Homura looks like a stereotypical gypsy woman, or do you think she stole the Macho Man Randy Savage's wardrobe?

Homura: Whoa! A robot action figure!
Homura: Daaammit, it's in such a hard-to-reach spot!
Option 1: Want me to get it for you?
Option 2: I'll get it for you, I'm good at these things.
Option 3: Good luck, Akai-san!

Goon: Want me to get it for you?
Homura: Seriously?!
Homura: You're a good boy. Good boy!

Fair warning to anyone who wants to vote for a Homura run after this one: get used to being treated like a puppy.

4/10: New Hikari event

Hikari: Gunma-kun.
Hikari: I've been waiting for you. Hey, let's walk home together, just like old times.
Goon: Yeah, sounds good.
Hikari: Great!

Kasumi: Oh, are you two heading home?
Kasumi: Come to think of it, it's pretty rare to see the two of you together these days.
Hikari: It's not that rare.
Goon: True, though rare isn't quite the right word.
Kasumi: Hey, I have an idea. Want me to give you two a ride home?
Goon: Awesome! It definitely is rare that we hang out together, Kasumi-san.
Hikari: ...I'm gonna walk.
Goon: Huh?

Note: Outside of a school setting, Goon immediately drops the -sensei and goes straight back to -san, like when they were kids. Hikari seems to be picking up on this.

Kasumi: Oh dear, it looks like I'm the third wheel.
Kasumi: You should hurry and go after her.
Goon: Sigh...

Goon: Hikari!
Hikari: ...What do you want?
Hikari: Aren't you going home with your precious Kasumi-oneechan?
Goon: What're you so angry about?
Hikari: I'm not angry.
Goon: Then what is it?

Hikari: It's nothing, forget it.
Hikari: ...since you came for me.
Goon: What'd you say?
Goon: You're weird.
Hikari: Hehe... let's go.

This is another of the events that has a childhood prerequisite - Hikari only acts like this if she has a history of getting jealous of Kasumi and running off, which we did see in the childhood prologue.

4/20: Call from Hikari

Hikari: Hello? It's Hikari.
Hikari: I kind of want to go bowling this Sunday. Want to come with me?

Well, that saves us a Sunday of upkeep, so we might as well.

Goon: Yeah, gladly!

4/21: Praise for a perfect week

Akane: You look really cool when you're working hard.
Akane: I see you in a whole new light now.

This would be a bit more powerful if this wasn't what we'd been doing for the whole week:

The obvious question is, did Akane follow us into the men's room? The world may never know.

4/22: Bowling with Hikari

Hikari: This ball's kind of hard to bowl.
Hikari: Maybe I should pick a lighter one.
Option 1: Take your time and find one that works for you.
Option 2: It'll be fine as long as it's got some weight to it.
Option 3: Hurry up and bowl, already!

Goon: Take your time and find one that works for you.
Hikari: Thanks! But I can bowl this one fine, see?

4/25: When it rains, it pours

Akane: Hello? It's me -
Akane: I mean, hi, my name is Ichimonji, and -
Goon: Hey, Akane. Something wrong?
Akane: No. But want to go to the tower with me this Sunday?
Goon: Gladly!

4/29: Up high with Akane

I'm told that you shouldn't wear stripes with patterns. However, I am a Guy and have no expertise in these kinds of things.

Akane: From up here, you can really see that the horizon is curved.
Option 1: Well, yeah, I mean, the earth is round, so of course.
Option 2: Yeah, especially since you can see the whole sky so clearly.
Option 3: Did it look different before?

Goon: Yeah, especially since you can see the whole sky so clearly.
Akane: Uh-huh.
Akane: It kinda feels like I'm going to be sucked in by that horizon...

5/5: Swimming with Akane

Goon: This pool sure is nice - it's great that we can swim no matter what season it is.
Akane: That's true.
Akane: If only it was cheaper, then I'd have no complaints.
Goon: But they have everything you'd want here, so it can't be any cheaper.
Akane: Yeah, I guess so.
Akane: Well, we're here, so let's enjoy it.

Akane: Hey, what do you think of this swimsuit?
Option 1: Sure, the swimsuit is nice, but you have a really nice body.
Option 2: Yeah, it really suits you. You look cute.
Option 3: The top kind of... jumps out at me.

Option 1: I'm a teenager, what do you expect me to say?
Option 2: I'm going to say the safe thing.
Option 3: I'm a teenager, what do you expect me to say?

Goon: Yeah, it really suits you. You look cute.
Akane: Th, thank you.
Akane: I'm glad you like it.

Akane: Say...
Akane: My brother told me he's coming home late tonight.
Akane: And I don't get to eat out very often, so...
Goon: Good idea, let's go.
Akane: Thanks! I was hoping we could eat together.

Akane: Here it is.
Akane: The place doesn't have a special atmosphere or anything, but it tastes great.
Goon: That seems good, and it has more atmosphere than you think. I like this kind of place.
Akane: Really? I'm glad you like it.
Akane: I'll be right back.
Goon: What's that supposed to mean?
Akane: Hey, I brought a guest!
Akane: I'll make everything myself!

Akane: Were you surprised?
Akane: This is where I work.
Goon: Yeah, I figured as much when you walked straight into the kitchen.
Akane: So, how's it taste?
Goon: It's amazing!
Goon: And I can't complain about the portions or the prices.
Akane: Right?! This is a great place with a really nice owner, if I say so myself.
Goon: (Akane seems really happy. I'm glad we came.)

And that's where Akane goes out to eat - her own restaurant. The struggle is real!

Next time: A time to hate.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Well that's one hell of an ominous ending! Can't wait to see how this route is resolved. I was disappointed by Homura's loss, but Akane has been really entertaining and a cool character to watch.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Well that sure is an interesting face.

Also hahaha Hikari. :allears:

quote:

The obvious question is, did Akane follow us into the men's room? The world may never know.

Clearly Goon has just been styling in the middle of the hallway.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Jesus gently caress that face. She's about to kill someone. :stare:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Oh, Hikari. I guess we should go for her nexahahahahahahahahhaha.

Poor girl. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Holy crud, not only does this seem to be taking a dark turn, but her cooking the meal herself, at the restaurant she works at? Jeez, I knew she worked a lot, but really?

• Locked thread