Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

I know that Caitha's chime is the preferred one for hexes, but what's the preferred top tier staff/miracle chime? Black Witch staff looks nice for all the stuff it can do, but the Staff of Amana has better scaling. Dragon Chime looks like the winner for miracles? Or Chime of Want? Maybe Chime of Want for hexes too? Tell me about Dark Souls.

If you're looking for lightning damage you want the Dragon Chime. Lightning Dragon Chime +5 is the best in the game at what it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kiggles posted:

Yes, but the argument is not virtually every single encounter. Mobs of enemies are not used sparing. They should be the exception, not so much the norm. Instead, you get cases like Sinner's rise where you have two mobs literally stacked on top eachother, with 2 sets of 3 royal swordsman crossbowman. Not a great example, but they're veritable tanks, difficult to stagger, generally hit pretty hard, and their weapons have some solid range. Yet they are effectively swarming NPCs. I think the only example of a single royal swordsman NPC is just upon hitting the bridge to sinner's rise?

Uhh royal swordsman stagger from anything and they are insanely slow. They're a great example of a mob NPC.

But when you get to Drangleic and every tough enemy is fighting you in pairs of 2 and 3 it's really annoying. The ~trick~ to fighting multiple mobs is to game the AI one way or the other so that you're only fighting one at a time, or take the easy way out and just shoot lightning/blue lasers at poo poo from a distance. I'm sorry that's not an insanely interesting thing to do on every single loving encounter.

And actually fighting two high-poise enemies at the same time is clearly not what the game's systems were balanced around.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 11, 2014

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Genocyber posted:

You are dodging through it right? And you have decent (~100) Agi?

Yeah, I've been at the bottom of the stairs when it hit the top of the stairs and taken a hit from it though (while the host was rolling), so I suspect most of my issue with it is lag. It's just odd that I've not had as much of an issue with the other aoe spells.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Seems like there's just a bunch of bosses who never get a chance to use their interesting mechanic because people summon folks who can do a good amount of damage. Smelter Demon is kind of an exception because he's a tank and takes less damage during his power-up bits, dragging out the fight longer.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Daerc posted:

Yeah, I've been at the bottom of the stairs when it hit the top of the stairs and taken a hit from it though (while the host was rolling), so I suspect most of my issue with it is lag. It's just odd that I've not had as much of an issue with the other aoe spells.

Interesting. I ask because I know a lot of people have trouble dodging both it and the AOE (which is why I always slot it on Fth builds), but I've never had a problem dodging it so I wanted to figure out why others do.

Cowcaster posted:

I know that Caitha's chime is the preferred one for hexes, but what's the preferred top tier staff/miracle chime? Black Witch staff looks nice for all the stuff it can do, but the Staff of Amana has better scaling. Dragon Chime looks like the winner for miracles? Or Chime of Want? Maybe Chime of Want for hexes too? Tell me about Dark Souls.

As already said, dragon for miracles. For staves; sorcery best is Staff of Judgement, for hexes Sunset staff.

Argas posted:

Seems like there's just a bunch of bosses who never get a chance to use their interesting mechanic because people summon folks who can do a good amount of damage. Smelter Demon is kind of an exception because he's a tank and takes less damage during his power-up bits, dragging out the fight longer.

This is why you should never summon on your first playthrough. You miss out on aspects of the boss, and you also don't learn their patterns.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Here is an easy litmus test: respec to a Str build instead and see if you still do as well.

Dragon Chime is hands-down the best chime for miracle casting. The scaling is nuts, the base damage value is great, and it has the fastest casting speed.

Str builds do not have it bad. Those guys who play aggressively with their duel wielding giant clubs can gently caress my poo poo up. When people get up in my face I can't use spells. So I resort to dodging and mace wielding.

But I barely run into pure str build character, theyre either Str/Fth, Spellsword, Hexin', or wielding Avelyn (gently caress these guys the most). Oh and Caestus build players are my favorite things ever, because they've got nothing to lose it seems.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Heliosicle posted:

Soldiers Rest NG+ is quite possibly the worst bonfire in the game.

Old post but what's even the point of that bonfire? There doesn't seem to be anything important over there and it's just a dead end

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is the 50 int for the Staff of Wisdom worth it then? I'd assume you cap it there and spice any spell that takes more than that to use.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

dis astranagant posted:

Old post but what's even the point of that bonfire? There doesn't seem to be anything important over there and it's just a dead end

I check in from time to time to see if a Seed of the Tree of Giants has spawned (they spawn on some poorly understood timer at the giant tree down there).

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.
So I attempted to invade in the Shrine of Anime and this happened. :allears:

My one regret is that I wasn't using my Jetstream Sam character, which would have made it all the more perfect.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't know why people keep bitching about the bosses in this game. Sure, they aren't all home runs, but it's not like they were super deep in the first game either.

Can't agree with this more.

People seem to be honing in on a couple lame fights but forget DS2 has like double the boss fights DS1 and DeS have (it seems like anyway, one of you spergs go count the actual #s of boss fights across the games).

I'd say this game does remarkably well with minimal outright bullshit or unfun boss fights, considering how many there are.

How many did Dark Souls have? Bed of Chaos, Centipede Demon, Ceaseless Discharge, Seath, Moonlight Butterfly... missing any?

Compared to maybe Freja (I don't even know why you people are complaining about the spiders, the fight is pretty easy but it's just such a long and boring fight) and Ancient Dragon?

Can't we all just agree these are three great games for different reasons and be friends :smith:

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

I didn't even realize Smelter Demon did periodic damage because I managed to get stuck out of range by the gate at the back of his room while my sunbro killed him for me. I still feel really bad about making the guy do that, but I couldn't get out :smith:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Mr. Crow posted:

Can't agree with this more.

People seem to be honing in on a couple lame fights but forget DS2 has like double the boss fights DS1 and DeS have (it seems like anyway, one of you spergs go count the actual #s of boss fights across the games).

I'd say this game does remarkably well with minimal outright bullshit or unfun boss fights, considering how many there are.

How many did Dark Souls have? Bed of Chaos, Centipede Demon, Ceaseless Discharge, Seath, Moonlight Butterfly... missing any?

Compared to maybe Freja (I don't even know why you people are complaining about the spiders, the fight is pretty easy but it's just such a long and boring fight) and Ancient Dragon?

Can't we all just agree these are three great games for different reasons and be friends :smith:

The problem with the bosses aren't that they're unfair (quite the contrary in fact), it's that they're all very same-y and incredibly uninteresting.

To sum up the video posted earlier: The problem of Dark Souls 2 is that it lacks "Soul".

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

The problem with the bosses aren't that they're unfair (quite the contrary in fact), it's that they're all very same-y and incredibly uninteresting.

To sum up the video posted earlier: The problem of Dark Souls 2 is that it lacks "Soul".

I would disagree completely. In general, the bosses in dks2 are a lot more interesting design-wise and combat-wise than in dks, even if a lot of them are rather easy. There's nothing like Demon of Song or Executioner's Chariot in Dks. I'd say one of my main beefs with Dks is how generic fantasy the enemy designs are, in comparison to Des (and now dks2).

sakeyake
Feb 1, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

Probably not. When Dark Souls came out on PS3 a lot of Demon's Souls players were saying it felt all wrong even though they recognized it was technically better. Dark Souls 2 will only be considered great when that casual piece of poo poo Dark Souls 3 is released.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bobnumerotres posted:

Uhh royal swordsman stagger from anything and they are insanely slow. They're a great example of a mob NPC.

But when you get to Drangleic and every tough enemy is fighting you in pairs of 2 and 3 it's really annoying. The ~trick~ to fighting multiple mobs is to game the AI one way or the other so that you're only fighting one at a time, or take the easy way out and just shoot lightning/blue lasers at poo poo from a distance. I'm sorry that's not an insanely interesting thing to do on every single loving encounter.

And actually fighting two high-poise enemies at the same time is clearly not what the game's systems were balanced around.

Let me guess, you were hitting them with a 30 poise damage Mace? I can promise you, Royal Swordsman hollows are not "easy" to stagger. They may not be Mastadons, but they're not without poise.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Genocyber posted:

I would disagree completely. In general, the bosses in dks2 are a lot more interesting design-wise and combat-wise than in dks, even if a lot of them are rather easy. There's nothing like Demon of Song or Executioner's Chariot in Dks. I'd say one of my main beefs with Dks is how generic fantasy the enemy designs are, in comparison to Des (and now dks2).

And I'd say neither Demon of Song nor the Chariot are interesting fights. The Demon of song is incredibly simplistic, with slow, heavily telegraphed attacks that leave it wide open. The Chariot is, as I mentioned earlier, just a two phase fight with the first phase being a gauntlet, and the second being a iron boar in disguise slow horse.

The Demon of Song looks kinda neat, though, I'll give it that much.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Tensei posted:

So I attempted to invade in the Shrine of Anime and this happened. :allears:

My one regret is that I wasn't using my Jetstream Sam character, which would have made it all the more perfect.
Nanomasouls, son.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

And I'd say neither Demon of Song nor the Chariot are interesting fights. The Demon of song is incredibly simplistic, with slow, heavily telegraphed attacks that leave it wide open. The Chariot is, as I mentioned earlier, just a two phase fight with the first phase being a gauntlet, and the second being a iron boar in disguise slow horse.

Isn't that kind of the argument with Gaping Dragon from Dark Souls? It's an easy as piss boss fight, but the monster design was amazing.

Dark Souls 2 seems to have a lot more filler bosses than Dark Souls 1 (which had its share), but I think that's more of a symptom of it just having more bosses.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 11, 2014

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

My Xbox 360 controller suddenly isn't working with Dark Souls 2 today. It works with all my other games, though, so it's not the controller. Any ideas?

Edit: It was my Orbweaver drivers... odd, it worked before I formatted

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 11, 2014

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Broken Cog posted:

I thought both of those fights were cool so your opinion is wrong :colbert:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Cowcaster posted:

Isn't that kind of the argument with Gaping Dragon from Dark Souls? It's an easy as piss boss fight, but the monster design was amazing.

That's actually a good comparison. I suppose the Demon of Song is the Gaping Dragon of Dark Souls 2.

Now, why on earth did it have the key to the Embedded is another question.
Actually, what's the point of the Embedded anyway?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Stringbean posted:

Str builds do not have it bad. Those guys who play aggressively with their duel wielding giant clubs can gently caress my poo poo up. When people get up in my face I can't use spells. So I resort to dodging and mace wielding.

But I barely run into pure str build character, theyre either Str/Fth, Spellsword, Hexin', or wielding Avelyn (gently caress these guys the most). Oh and Caestus build players are my favorite things ever, because they've got nothing to lose it seems.

Being a weirdass Hexer who doesn't use the resonant spells because my precious souls, I find dark hail to be pretty drat good. It comes out fast enough that timing/lag lets me destroy a melee opponent because they just ate most of the projectiles and when they're running and dodging, the spread means it can still hit them and stagger them enough. I've finished quite a few fights by just shooting dark hail as they try and run away. It doesn't matter if they dodge to one side because of the spread, they just end up getting hit by a side bolt. The smarter melee opponents try to dodge to one side before attacking, those that just roll in front of me to attack tend to eat the entire dark hail.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Broken Cog posted:

Apparently it was a guy who was going crazy, so he decided he needed to be chained down and abandoned in some tower. IIRC

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Broken Cog posted:

That's actually a good comparison. I suppose the Demon of Song is the Gaping Dragon of Dark Souls 2.

Now, why on earth did it have the key to the Embedded is another question.

That's not fair because the Demon of Song doesn't have three times more HP than it needs.

Also, Dark Souls 1 had a lot of really bad bosses. Stray Asylum Demon Firesage anyone?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kazil posted:

That's not fair because the Demon of Song doesn't have three times more HP than it needs.

Also, Dark Souls 1 had a lot of really bad bosses. Stray Asylum Demon Firesage anyone?

You could call them the Dragonriders of Dark Souls 1.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Yeah coming across the Embeddded was a :stare: moment. For a second I got a Silent Hill 3 vibe.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Cowcaster posted:

You could call them the Dragonriders of Dark Souls 1.

No but you see the Dragonriders you have to strafe behind them and that's boring whereas the Demons you had to strafe behind them and that's better boss design.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

I don't know why people keep bitching about the bosses in this game. Sure, they aren't all home runs, but it's not like they were super deep in the first game either.

Bosses are the highlight of this series, and Dark Souls had a ton of great and memorable bosses and a handful of bad ones.

This game has maybe two good bosses. There's a disconnect here.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

kazil posted:

The Asylum Demon wasn't bad, it was just lame that they reused it three times. Now, the Bed of Chaos? That's a poorly designed fight. Not even hard since your progress is saved when you die, just awful. I really like all three games in the series, though.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Night Blade posted:

Bosses are the highlight of this series, and Dark Souls had a ton of great and memorable bosses and a handful of bad ones.

Which ton of DkS1 bosses do you consider to be great and memorable and which 2 DkS2 bosses do you think are good?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Night Blade posted:

Velstadt, Smelter, Chariot, Darklurker, Lost Sinner (pre-nerf), Lost Sinner ng+ (pre-nerf), Flexile ng+ (pre-nerf), Skeleton Lords, Ruin Sentinels, Gargs, Rat Vanguard, Rat Authority

Dark Souls had...O&S, Four Kings, Arty, Manus, Kalameet, Gwyn

Yeah I'd say Dks2 has dks beat on that front.

Also the devs disagree with you on that point; they've stated they put much less time into the bosses than they do the regular enemies, on account of the fact that you fight regular enemies much more than you do the bosses.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Wait the gargoyles in Dark Souls 2 are great and memorable but the gargoyles in Dark Souls 1 aren't?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I would also disagree that Gwyn is a great boss when you can just parry him into oblivion.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Why do people like Velstadt so much? He has a handful of melee moves and an incredibly telegraphed hex attack that is super easy to dodge.

He's like the epitome of the dodge-stab kind of boss: Way too tanky, and with large swings that are easy to IFrame through. I found him completely underwhelming.
Actually, I'd say the mace-wielding Drake Keepers in Dragon Shrine are harder to go toe-to-toe with than Velstadt.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Night Blade posted:

Dark Souls had a ton of great and memorable bosses

Ornstein and Smough, and... who else?

There's tons of bosses I like the design for - Gaping Dragon, Gwyn, Artorias, Manus, Nito, but there's barely any I can think of where the act of actually playing through the battle comes down to much more than "Learn when you need to block/roll/whatever you'd like to do to avoid damage and when to attack." And, I mean, that's basically where Dark Souls 2 is at for me - lots of bosses I like the design for, a few kind of interesting gimmicks, and almost all of them come down on properly balancing attack and defense. They seem easier to a lot of people because most people playing DS2 have already played a Souls game by now and know its basic pulse. And that's all fine! I say that loving these games and their design!

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Wait the gargoyles in Dark Souls 2 are great and memorable but the gargoyles in Dark Souls 1 aren't?

Yup. Gargs in dks are a pretty dull fight; it's easy to stunlock them, you can kill them absurdly quickly so long as you have a +5 weapon, and since it's only two they're easy to manage. Dks2 on the other hand has a bunch more, they're nigh impossible to poisebreak, it's a lot harder to kill them quickly (unless you have a Great/Large club), and you can have three or even four on you at once. I would say part of making this fight memorable is also the fact that the garg fight existed in dks. There it was a pathetic fight, so you go in expecting that, and then you find yourself with a much tougher fight.

Weremacht
Nov 4, 2002

THE ONLY THING THAT TURNS ME ON MORE THAN A MONKEY IN A FURRY SUIT IS SPOILING PLOTS

Manatee Cannon posted:

I would also disagree that Gwyn is a great boss when you can just parry him into oblivion.

1) It's an awesome fight if you DON'T do that and 2) being able to parry Gwyn is a great way of continuing with the theme of the Kiln in general, which is to show the player just how far they've come and how strong they've gotten.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Genocyber posted:

Yup. Gargs in dks are a pretty dull fight; it's easy to stunlock them, you can kill them absurdly quickly so long as you have a +5 weapon, and since it's only two they're easy to manage. Dks2 on the other hand has a bunch more, they're nigh impossible to poisebreak, it's a lot harder to kill them quickly (unless you have a Great/Large club), and you can have three or even four on you at once. I would say part of making this fight memorable is also the fact that the garg fight existed in dks. There it was a pathetic fight, so you go in expecting that, and then you find yourself with a much tougher fight.

It's literally the same goddamn fight with a few more copy pasted in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Why do people like Velstadt so much? He has a handful of melee moves and an incredibly telegraphed hex attack that is super easy to dodge.

He's like the epitome of the dodge-stab kind of boss: Way too tanky, and with large swings that are easy to IFrame through. I found him completely underwhelming.
Actually, I'd say the mace-wielding Drake Keepers in Dragon Shrine are harder to go toe-to-toe with than Velstadt.

Why do people like ________ so much? He has a handful of _________ moves and an incredibly telegraphed _________ attack that is super easy to dodge.

Dark Souls madlibs.