Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Nobody's said, but it's likely that it's part of Disney's attempts to consolidate Marvel properties under their roof. It's happened once before, as I recall, which is why there's a ten-year gap between MVC2 and MVC3.

I expect they'll work something out sooner or later and we'll see an MVC4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Marvel value is rising like mad and Capcom is sinking, I bet they didn't even make a profit on UMVC3 let alone if they tried to make another with what Marvel must be charging.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
It's kind of funny that Marvel, meanwhile, was just using MVC3 as publicity for some of their upcoming franchises like Hawkeye/Ant-Man, Rocket Raccoon, etc

Can't remember what the exact reason behind Venom's exclusion was (they said he would've been hard to do in 3D anyway), but they did mention Marvel only gave them a "small pool" of characters to pick from (Venom wasn't in it), and certain ones were required, for the sake of early publicity.

e: What would have been smarter, maybe, is putting Jill/Shuma/DLC outfits into a patch so that it just unlocks them for you. They're on-disc DLC so it seems even more unfair that we can't access it. But I guess life's not fair.

Excels fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 1, 2014

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Fellblade posted:

Marvel value is rising like mad and Capcom is sinking, I bet they didn't even make a profit on UMVC3 let alone if they tried to make another with what Marvel must be charging.

UMVC3 has sold more than a million copies. It helps that the tournament scene's so robust.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Excels posted:

It's kind of funny that Marvel, meanwhile, was just using MVC3 as publicity for some of their upcoming franchises like Hawkeye/Ant-Man, Rocket Raccoon, etc

Can't remember what the exact reason behind Venom's exclusion was (they said he would've been hard to do in 3D anyway), but they did mention Marvel only gave them a "small pool" of characters to pick from (Venom wasn't in it), and certain ones were required, for the sake of early publicity.
The new Marvel characters in Ultimate, other than Ghost Rider, are part of Disney/Marvel Studios' universe while the Spider-Man movies are done by Sony/Columbia so it makes sense that Marvel wanted to push the characters from their own studio.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
X-23 was also added to promote what was at the time her new comic.

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
I believe you can buy the Vita version of the DLC and it'll cross buy the PS3 version under your downloads.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

ShortThug posted:

I believe you can buy the Vita version of the DLC and it'll cross buy the PS3 version under your downloads.

Just did this and it works. It's probably an oversight-- since Jill and Shuma are still listed as "Fate of Two Worlds" DLC bundled with the Vita versions (which are labeled with Ultimate)

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

After 58 consecutive losses online, I finally got my very first win thanks to Chun-Li. I had literally a sliver of health left and had to scrabble to get any hits in but it was worth it.

It almost makes the 58 other matches seem less soul-crushing. Almost!

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Excels posted:

After 58 consecutive losses online, I finally got my very first win thanks to Chun-Li. I had literally a sliver of health left and had to scrabble to get any hits in but it was worth it.

It almost makes the 58 other matches seem less soul-crushing. Almost!

You might just be cut out for this game.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You might just not be cut out for this game.

I guess sometimes it's just Too Late to get into a game, especially since Doom has an infinite combo that I see everyone using online

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Excels posted:

I guess sometimes it's just Too Late to get into a game, especially since Doom has an infinite combo that I see everyone using online

Hey I quit playing the game about a year ago because I was terrible and would love to come back and play against other terrible people!

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Medullah posted:

Hey I quit playing the game about a year ago because I was terrible and would love to come back and play against other terrible people!

Add me if you want! I'm Alternian on PSN. :)

VigilantePrime
Sep 18, 2008

Excels posted:

That wasn't a typo.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

VigilantePrime posted:

That wasn't a typo.

Oh. Sorry bro, everything I read is buried under several layers of sarcasm, sometimes I just don't know

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
i really, really wish eventhubs would stop posting these loving articles

Marvel has gone so far up its own rear end in terms of giving companies its license its not even funny. I don't see a collaboration with Capcom even in the far future.

JesusLovesRonwell
Aug 12, 2004

I want to touch my Rosalina-sama all over~

<3<3<3
If Capcom wanted to make MvC4, and assuming they wanted to go with an updated (graphics) engine for next/current gen consoles (Xbone/PS4), could they just port character animations over and update character models? For example, could they use UMvC3's animations for Spiderman, but just update the character model?

The reason I'm asking is because if they can just reuse animations for existing characters and just update models, it seems like that would free up a lot of resources for an MvC4, and allow Capcom to focus on a Story Mode, a better Tutorial (any tutorial) etc. while adding a significant number of new characters (say 10ish), in an attempt to appease scrubs/hardcores alike? Meaning they could essentially copy-paste, ala MvC2, and release a game with 60ish characters.

I mean, I know I'm dreaming, but I would love to see this series continue. Oh well, maybe once the Marvel Cinematic Universe bubble bursts in 5-7 years, maybe then we'll see another MvC. Why does MD have to be such dicks with the license? Of all things videogame related, Capcom should get a pass considering the history. What I'm trying to say is, gently caress MD.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Personally I was very impressed with the effort that went into UMVC3, particularly the strong faithfulness to each character's strengths and weaknesses. I mean competitively it's very unbalanced but they certainly did their research.

I think Phoenix Wright is one of the most interesting gimmick characters in a fighting game I've ever seen. Plus the alt costumes and even the colorswaps are very clever. I like that Phoenix has Godot and Edgeworth colorswaps.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Excels posted:

Personally I was very impressed with the effort that went into UMVC3, particularly the strong faithfulness to each character's strengths and weaknesses. I mean competitively it's very unbalanced but they certainly did their research.

I think Phoenix Wright is one of the most interesting gimmick characters in a fighting game I've ever seen. Plus the alt costumes and even the colorswaps are very clever. I like that Phoenix has Godot and Edgeworth colorswaps.

And loving Sissel from Ghost Trick, a game which unfortunately didn't sell that well. But they threw that color scheme in there anyway.

Probably time I finally picked this up before it starts disappearing. Grabbed the DLC in the firesale because I knew I would sometime.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser

Excels posted:

I mean competitively it's very unbalanced

Is it? Given the near-total lack of support for Marvel 3 it's remarkable how many characters and compositions still see tournament play. I won't overinterpret Evo but Hawkeye, Storm, Akuma and Shuma showing up in the top 3 of a ~1500 man bracket says a lot. As awful as Zero, Vergil and Doom are they're not so dominant that you have to play those characters to compete. Maybe if more people were playing Chris G's team at Chris G's level but not yet.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Discount Viscount posted:

And loving Sissel from Ghost Trick, a game which unfortunately didn't sell that well. But they threw that color scheme in there anyway.

Don't forget he can summon Missile!

everyone loves missile

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Mio Bison posted:

Is it? Given the near-total lack of support for Marvel 3 it's remarkable how many characters and compositions still see tournament play. I won't overinterpret Evo but Hawkeye, Storm, Akuma and Shuma showing up in the top 3 of a ~1500 man bracket says a lot. As awful as Zero, Vergil and Doom are they're not so dominant that you have to play those characters to compete. Maybe if more people were playing Chris G's team at Chris G's level but not yet.

I don't follow the MVC3 pros much but based on my experiences online, you would think there were only about 15 characters to pick from!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also Sissel and Missile were Heroes and Heralds cards. It was cool all of the nods and references to other stuff those modes, character colors, and the stages had.

Excels posted:

I don't follow the MVC3 pros much but based on my experiences online, you would think there were only about 15 characters to pick from!

This is actually a good number for a game like Marvel compare it to most games with huge casts of characters and only a select number are actually viable. MvC2 is a great game and that one's got about under 10 legit viable characters and some of those are assist only. This isn't to say Marvel 3 is better, just that it actually is not as poorly balanced as you'd think, the problem with comes in its mechanics and how you play.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 11, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Also Sissel and Missile were Heroes and Heralds cards. It was cool all of the nods and references to other stuff those modes, character colors, and the stages had.

Does anyone still play H&H? I cannot find a single match in that mode. Probably shouldn't bother anyway, everyone will have all the best cards.

Orgia Carnaval posted:

This is actually a good number for a game like Marvel compare it to most games with huge casts of characters and only a select number are actually viable. MvC2 is a great game and that one's got about under 10 legit viable characters and some of those are assist only.

I played Servbot :colbert:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I'm guessing it died because people just ran that combo of cards that made them literally unkillable. If they got a single hit in on you they'd win because they were guaranteed to have more health than you. It's a real shame because the cards had some awesome potential for crazy combos but everyone just went straight to the boring poo poo.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW

Fereydun posted:

So hey I played at Texas Showdown and got my rear end kicked.

Here's some vids:

Me vs PR Rog: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/517341428?t=5h43m50s
Me vs. Phantasy: http://www.twitch.tv/leveluplive/b/517598219?t=3h18m28s

My last match where I lost in losers is hidden behind subscriber wall so I can't post it but it exists there I guess.

Stop putting yourself in the corner, pussy.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

Stop putting yourself in the corner, pussy.

This but me saying it, pussy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Excels posted:

MVC3 is actually much better in that regard than virtually every game that came before it, including the various Capcom vs. SNK games. Remember, and I'm paraphrasing Viscant here, MVC3 is a game where Chris G got knocked into the losers' bracket at Evolution by a guy playing Chris/Jill/Zero, and where one of the big dogs on the tournament circuit plays a team with Storm and Akuma.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
A game can be terrible in spite of character variety. Or good, as we can tell from mvc2 and something else probably.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

JesusLovesRonwell posted:

I mean, I know I'm dreaming, but I would love to see this series continue. Oh well, maybe once the Marvel Cinematic Universe bubble bursts in 5-7 years, maybe then we'll see another MvC. Why does MD have to be such dicks with the license? Of all things videogame related, Capcom should get a pass considering the history. What I'm trying to say is, gently caress MD.
Maybe they want a MvC with a proper story mode and movie representations of their heroes? Or Capcom doesn't want to bother with Marvel licensing for a while and tries a CvC game in the style of MvC to see if the Mahvel audience accepts it.
Anyway, I don't think we are that far away from a MvC-like game.

Worst case scenario we get an Injustice-like Marvel game. Would fit in their new "one universe" approach.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Doggboat posted:

Or Capcom doesn't want to bother with Marvel licensing for a while and tries a CvC game in the style of MvC to see if the Mahvel audience accepts it.

It's a capcom 3v3 fighting game.

it'd sell like hotcakes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I doubt in the list if things Marvel cares about one of them is "A story mode that represents the characters" when they were just fine with little to none, yet were very concerned with Dr. Strange's hand gestures. Marvel pulled their games digitally from both Capcom and Activision's side. Chances are they are reevaluating who they are doing business with and will probably work with Capcom again given that both MvC3 and UMvC3 were profitable.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I doubt in the list if things Marvel cares about one of them is "A story mode that represents the characters"
Movie representation as in looks(alot of characters look pretty old-school in MvC3). And I think they do care, because Injustice got praised for the story mode and sold better if I remember correctly. To update the presentation and get the critical acclaim Injustice got are probably 2 of the most important things for them, if they did another fighting game.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I doubt in the list if things Marvel cares about one of them is "A story mode that represents the characters" when they were just fine with little to none, yet were very concerned with Dr. Strange's hand gestures. Marvel pulled their games digitally from both Capcom and Activision's side. Chances are they are reevaluating who they are doing business with and will probably work with Capcom again given that both MvC3 and UMvC3 were profitable.

They realigned their goals there and are probably going to pull most games in-house from now on; they want a solid continuous canon as close to movies as possible just like how they change the comics just before any movie comes out. There is unlikely to ever be an MvC4 as long as Disney owns Marvel

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Marvel executive stands in the voice booth, forcing Dr Strange to do take after take until he properly pronounces "Bolts of Balzac" without giggling

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Excels posted:

Medullah posted:

Can I get on the lovely player train? PSN: TheBlindNinja. I'm too scared to go online, since all my friends who were already better than me have stopped playing.

BlindNinja fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 12, 2014

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

BlindNinja posted:

Can I get on the lovely player train? PSN: TheBlindNinja. I'm too scared to go online, since all my friends who were already better than me have stopped playing.

You can add me @ Alternian but I burnt myself out on it for a while and now I'm letting my brother get into it. He picks up these games a lot quicker than me, he was mostly a Soulcal guy before though so MVC is interesting to him.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

RickoniX posted:

They realigned their goals there and are probably going to pull most games in-house from now on; they want a solid continuous canon as close to movies as possible just like how they change the comics just before any movie comes out. There is unlikely to ever be an MvC4 as long as Disney owns Marvel

Nah. Disney's pragmatic enough that they'll eventually let a fourth game be made, particularly if the fighting-game tournament scene persists.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Wanderer posted:

Nah. Disney's pragmatic enough that they'll eventually let a fourth game be made, particularly if the fighting-game tournament scene persists.

If anything, the scene is expanding in every direction while also intensifying internally. There are some people in the competitive scene who have to be goddamn robots to play as well as they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Doggboat posted:

Movie representation as in looks(alot of characters look pretty old-school in MvC3). And I think they do care, because Injustice got praised for the story mode and sold better if I remember correctly. To update the presentation and get the critical acclaim Injustice got are probably 2 of the most important things for them, if they did another fighting game.

Injustice did not sell better, the only fighting game since Marvel 3 that sold better than it was MK9 and that was for a myriad of different reasons. MVC3 was used to promote the movies from several characters and they do not care what Capcom does so long as they follow the rules on what characters they can use. Marvel did not interfere with Capcom at that point either except for Strange's handsigns, not even for costumes.

This might have change with Avengers now, but I do not see them doing that with a theoretical MvC4 either, they let Capcom do their own thing with every game. Hell, even Avengers the Battle for Earth doesn't have a proper story mode, you just run through areas beating up enemies with characters and movie versions of the characters are unlockable in that game. It's meant to be the game they released for the movie, so it strikes me as weird they wouldn't crack down on that more if it were the case.

For the most part Marvel doesn't seem to stick its dick too far into games they license to other companies and let them do their own thing.

• Locked thread