Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

ragzilla posted:

ANSI/TIA/EIA-568-B "Commercial Building Telecommunications Cabling Standard" lists both wiring configurations. T568B is the most prevalent for commercial installations, and was used by AT&T for the original Merlin phone systems.

ANSI/TIA/EIA-570-B "Residential Telecommunications Cabling Standards" recommends T568A

I read the 2nd line as "T568B Residential Telecommunications Cabling Standards recommends T568A" and snickered.

less than three fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Are there any good books you guys would recommend on OSPF that go beyond what the CCNP covers? Something similar to what this book does with BGP.

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
This book is a decent read:

http://www.amazon.com/OSPF-IS-IS-Choosing-Large-Scale-Networks/dp/0321168798

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
We've got a pair of ASA 5520's at our hosting site that are setup in an HA failover configuration. Recently we've been having issues where webpages start loading extremely slowly for people outside, and while it's happening pings to the inside interface of the firewall start dropping or responding extremely slowly (for instance, normal pings from our LAN across to that interface are usually 2-3ms, when this starts happening we'll only get maybe half back and those that make it are over 125ms). Memory seems fine, and traffic and connections doesn't seem especially high either. The units don't look like they're failing over at all during this time so I don't think it's the HA configuration. What else can I check to try to figure out what's happening?

wyoak fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 29, 2014

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
What on earth am I doing wrong with a new rancid 3.0 install? My old 2.3.2 was working fine and I'm just trying to move it to a new server, but it refuses to recognize my routers as up.

Example, from adding a new router to router.db:

code:
Routers changed to down:

10.10.2.13:cisco:up

Added routers:

10.10.2.13:cisco:up
If the up/down flag isn't controlling the router status, what is?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
The announcement says to use ; instead of :

http://www.shrubbery.net/pipermail/rancid-announce/2014-April/000017.html

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Thanks, that was exactly it.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

wyoak posted:

We've got a pair of ASA 5520's at our hosting site that are setup in an HA failover configuration. Recently we've been having issues where webpages start loading extremely slowly for people outside, and while it's happening pings to the inside interface of the firewall start dropping or responding extremely slowly (for instance, normal pings from our LAN across to that interface are usually 2-3ms, when this starts happening we'll only get maybe half back and those that make it are over 125ms). Memory seems fine, and traffic and connections doesn't seem especially high either. The units don't look like they're failing over at all during this time so I don't think it's the HA configuration. What else can I check to try to figure out what's happening?

Could be a lot of reasons. Check the connected devices and the ASA for interface errors, burst, over runs, etc. What is the failover config? if it includes failover replication HTTP and you guys don't do massive http file transfers, disable it. Check show fail hist, and show ver for uptime.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Any good resources for IPv6? I'd like to go through the whole stack from IP -> Services (DNS, DHCP, etc) -> TCP/UDP

I don't need to be an expert but I'd like to know the IPv6 specific basics since a lot of the principles are the same.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Powercrazy posted:

Any good resources for IPv6?

If you're the learn-by-doing type, Hurricane Electric's tunnelbroker.net and "certification program" provide both connectivity and a set of tasks to complete (e.g. set up an IPv6-enabled email server, IPv6 DNS glue), and they'll give you a free t-shirt if you do all the tasks.

Also, this presentation covers most of the basics, and this one covers subnetting.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 30, 2014

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

Powercrazy posted:

Any good resources for IPv6?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4cEbPayek
http://www.ipspace.net/IPv6
https://www.nanog.org/archives/presentations
http://scientifichooligan.me/

geera
May 20, 2003
I keep a homegrown network status dashboard running on a 2nd screen by my desk, and over the last couple days I've noticed way more upstream bandwidth being used than usual. I have an ASA 5510 sitting at the border, but unfortunately I have a Barracuda web filter sitting between it and the rest of my network, so all of the bandwidth graphs on the ASA show the majority of the traffic coming from the web filter's IP, not the actual host IPs. I've tried setting up Netflow on the ASA but ran in to the same "everything comes from one IP" issue. The Barracuda doesn't have any upstream bandwidth reporting as far as I can tell.

I have a 3560 as my main router, but it doesn't support Netflow. Do I have any other options to increase my visibility?

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
SPAN a port on the 3560 to a unix server and sniff w/ tcpdump.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
That, or change the Barracuda's operating mode from forward proxy to inline, whichi will preserve source addresses: https://techlib.barracuda.com/display/BWFV60/6160452 You get more flexibility out of inline mode.

geera
May 20, 2003

falz posted:

SPAN a port on the 3560 to a unix server and sniff w/ tcpdump.
I'll look in to this some more, thanks. I'd love to be able to RSPAN to a linux VM since the 3560 is in a closet without any servers that I can plug directly in to it, but I'm a little concerned about the extra traffic it'll generate since I'll be monitoring the WAN port.

Richard Noggin posted:

That, or change the Barracuda's operating mode from forward proxy to inline, whichi will preserve source addresses: https://techlib.barracuda.com/display/BWFV60/6160452 You get more flexibility out of inline mode.
It's running inline already and I can see source addresses for services other than HTTP/HTTPS. Looking at the graph for the last hour, nearly 50% of the traffic moving through the ASA comes from the Barracuda's IP. So many apps use HTTP/HTTPS anymore that it's hard to tell a web request from a Dropbox upload without inspecting packets.

Richard Noggin
Jun 6, 2005
Redneck By Default
That sounds like a hybrid deployment and not a pure inline, but I'm not a Barracuda expert.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
OK, so I am seeing a very strange issue.

I have a WS-C4948E-F (Cisco) switch, using it for pure out-of-band management. I have a /16 management network (let's say 10.10.x.x/16) that isn't routed in any way.

I have a set of Cisco ASA 5585-X firewalls that I'm using for my edge. These all have their management port put into the management switch. They have IPs like 10.10.1.1, 10.10.2.1, 10.10.3.1, etc.

I have a LogStash box (Ubuntu) at 10.10.3.10, and all of the firewalls are configured to send their syslogs to this IP. That all works fine (I think), I get tons of syslogs.

I also have a Cisco 4500-X VSS stack that has its management port (Fast1) plugged into the management switch, with IP 10.10.6.25.

When I am running load tests on the firewalls, I see the management port of the 4500-X VSS stack handling a TON of packets in both directions. Upon further investigation (debug ip packet and some CEF debug), my 4500-X management port is receiving packets from the firewalls that is destined for 10.10.3.10 (the LogStash box). It then forwards them back out (as it should) to LogStash.

Example log (received on 10.10.6.25):
*May 7 11:18:42.706: CEF-Debug: Packet from 10.10.1.1 (Fa1) to 10.10.3.10 (Fa1)
*May 7 11:18:42.706: CEF-Debug: Packet from 10.10.1.1 (Fa1) to 10.10.3.10 (Fa1)
*May 7 11:18:42.723: CEF-Debug: Packet from 10.10.1.1 (Fa1) to 10.10.3.10 (Fa1)

But WHY would my 4500-X management port ever see the traffic that's supposed to go between the firewalls and the LogStash box? They're all on a flat VLAN, but somehow my router's management port is receiving all this junk that's supposed to go to the LogStash box.

A, B, and C are all plugged into the same switch/VLAN and on the same subnet. A sends data to B, but C receives it (and then forwards it on). I have checked all of the IP configs for logging, no duplicate MAC addresses, etc. It's even happening to all of the firewalls, so I don't think it's a bug with one.

My first thought is that the C4948E management switch is sending the data to the wrong place, but ARP and the mac forwarding tables all look accurate. Also, I don't see other traffic from the firewalls to other devices (SNMP, etc). Only traffic that's supposed to go to the syslog server.

Any advice on what to look into or try?

example ASA config:

interface Management0/0
management-only
nameif management
security-level 100
ip address 10.10.1.1 255.255.0.0 standby 10.10.1.2
!

logging enable
logging timestamp
logging list Syslog_Alerts level notifications class auth
logging list Syslog_Alerts level notifications class config
logging list Syslog_Alerts level warnings class ha
logging list Syslog_Alerts level warnings class np
logging list Syslog_Alerts level warnings class sys
logging list Syslog_Alerts message 401001-401005
logging buffer-size 1030000
logging buffered informational
logging trap Syslog_Alerts
logging asdm warnings
logging host management 10.10.3.10
logging permit-hostdown

madsushi fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 8, 2014

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

madsushi posted:

OK, so I am seeing a very strange issue.

What does your routing table look like on all 3 devices? Also what does your ifconfig/show int look like for all these devices?

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 8, 2014

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

madsushi posted:

My first thought is that the C4948E management switch is sending the data to the wrong place, but ARP and the mac forwarding tables all look accurate.

Double check this, it stinks of unknown unicast flooding. Can you SPAN the traffic that's going toward the 4500x stack and check the dmac?

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

ragzilla posted:

Double check this, it stinks of unknown unicast flooding. Can you SPAN the traffic that's going toward the 4500x stack and check the dmac?

This is my thought too, something is definitely not right with some ARP entry. Can you do a "show arp" on the ASA? The 4948 is not routing at all right?

Also interested in routing statements on the ASA.

Fatal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 8, 2014

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

ragzilla posted:

1) I can't SPAN the port at the moment (it's all in a datacenter a long way away) but I want to.

2) Here's the routing statements from the devices:

4500-X getting the traffic:
show ip route vrf mgmtVrf
10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
C 10.10.0.0/16 is directly connected, FastEthernet1
L 10.10.6.25/32 is directly connected, FastEthernet1

Management switch:
show ip route
10.0.0.0/8 is variably subnetted, 2 subnets, 2 masks
C 10.10.0.0/16 is directly connected, Vlan10
L 10.10.0.10/32 is directly connected, Vlan10 ## this is the switch's management IP (VLAN)

One of the ASAs:
show route
C 172.16.254.0 255.255.255.0 is directly connected, failover
S 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 [1/0] via 10.127.20.10, inside ## to our regular networks
C 10.127.20.0 255.255.255.0 is directly connected, inside
C 10.10.0.0 255.255.0.0 is directly connected, management
C 199.199.199.24 255.255.255.248 is directly connected, outside
S* 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [1/0] via 199.199.199.25, outside

The 4948 is not routing. All ports are simply "switchport access vlan 10" and then VLAN10 is "ip address 10.10.0.10 255.255.0.0" and "no ip redirects". We have some RADIUS set up but that's about it.

The 4500-X is just a flat VSS stack that we use to terminate some HSRP connections (not routing).

ASA show arp:
management 10.10.3.10 - 0025.b507.0002 -- confirmed MAC of LogStash NIC
management 10.10.6.25 - b0fa.eb62.deff -- confirmed MAC of 4500-X Fast1

Management switch show arp:
Internet 10.10.3.10 - 0025.b507.002 ARPA Vlan10
Internet 10.10.6.25 - b0fa.eb62.deff ARPA Vlan10

I thought about unicast flooding, but we have other hosts connected to the management switch, and none of them see the flood of traffic. When we just do a quick "show int" on the management switch, we can see the surge of traffic to both the 4500-X interface and to the LogStash interface, but nothing major elsewhere.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Maybe try enabling Netflow on it? I think that's supported on the 4500-X.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

ragzilla posted:

So, it looks like this was the issue. However, apparently it wasn't constant. The C4948E forwarding table was losing the MAC address for the LogStash server, and when it did, the traffic was getting flooded. I kept doing "show mac address-table | include 0002" on the management switch and saw it disappear and then my "debug ip packet" on the 4500-X spiked up with the LogStash traffic.

Our LogStash box runs Ubuntu and doesn't really talk to anything else. All of the incoming connections to it are UDP syslog, so the LogStash box itself never actually sent any traffic OUT, only received traffic. So the theory is that it was falling out of the FDB and then eventually getting put back in (on some long interval).

I set ntpd to poll every 60 seconds, and now we haven't see the issue all day.

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there an Enterprise Networking thread or can I ask my dumb Fortigate questions here?

I guess I'll just go for it. If I want to authenticate my VPN users using AD, do I need to use FSSO or do I just configure an AD server in the authentication servers section and add it to the appropriate user group?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Is there an Enterprise Networking thread or can I ask my dumb Fortigate questions here?

I guess I'll just go for it. If I want to authenticate my VPN users using AD, do I need to use FSSO or do I just configure an AD server in the authentication servers section and add it to the appropriate user group?

it's been a while since I configured it, but as I recall fsso is only for web filtering. VPN users will just be ldap auth.

Frag Viper
May 20, 2001

Fuck that shit
I'm pulling my hair out over here with this.

I have a Catalyst 2960. I'm currently trying to copy over an IOS image via TFTP using Solarwinds as the TFTP server. I can ping the server, I can ping the switch.

I'll run the copy tftp: flash: command, enter the tftp server IP, and the IOS .bin file name which is c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE6

When I hit enter to begin the copy process, it tells me it cant find the path or file. The IOS image file is in the TFTP root folder where it should be so I have no clue why its giving that error.

Any ideas?

Edit:
Apparently I needed to add .bin at the end of c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE6. Doing that worked immediately. Its the little things that always get you.

Frag Viper fucked around with this message at 06:41 on May 9, 2014

Nait Sirhc
Sep 11, 2001
Hopefully this will save someone some headache (or maybe our sales rep & SE just didn't know), but Cisco 3925/3925E routers won't do more than 85mbps IPSEC VPN out of the box, even though they're marketed/sold as such. You have to buy an additional license (HSECK9) for this. siighhhh

Do these normally ship with these licenses? Dropping a few grand per license just so the box will do what it was sold to do is rather, well, common I guess.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

quote:

Hopefully this will save someone some headache (or maybe our sales rep & SE just didn't know), but Cisco 3925/3925E routers won't do more than 85mbps IPSEC VPN out of the box, even though they're marketed/sold as such. You have to buy an additional license (HSECK9) for this. siighhhh

Do these normally ship with these licenses? Dropping a few grand per license just so the box will do what it was sold to do is rather, well, common I guess.

Normally, no. You have to specify that license. Gets more fun with the ASRs/ISRs we run with IPSEC and GetVPN, I think there's about a half dozen additional licenses tied to each one (with each needing its own support charge :argh:)

Frag Viper posted:

I'm pulling my hair out over here with this.

I have a Catalyst 2960. I'm currently trying to copy over an IOS image via TFTP using Solarwinds as the TFTP server. I can ping the server, I can ping the switch.

I'll run the copy tftp: flash: command, enter the tftp server IP, and the IOS .bin file name which is c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE6

When I hit enter to begin the copy process, it tells me it cant find the path or file. The IOS image file is in the TFTP root folder where it should be so I have no clue why its giving that error.

Any ideas?

Edit:
Apparently I needed to add .bin at the end of c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE6. Doing that worked immediately. Its the little things that always get you.

That gets me about half the time when I can't transfer. The other half is when people point the tftp source at the wrong interface.

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Slickdrac posted:

Normally, no. You have to specify that license. Gets more fun with the ASRs/ISRs we run with IPSEC and GetVPN, I think there's about a half dozen additional licenses tied to each one (with each needing its own support charge :argh:)

As an FYI, these licenses are all honor based/RTU in newish versions of code (except sslvpn) and no one from TAC will ever check to see if you have them enabled most likely.

gooby pls
May 18, 2012

How do you like logstash? Just upgraded to PI 2.1 which still doesn't have a fully baked syslog server (though I see you can edit some configs to support more sev levels).
Looking to roll a free syslog server for our networking equipment and maybe some other systems if client/server wants to use it as well. No budget for something like splunk but logstash/kibana looked pretty slick.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Welp, remember how I was complaining about Fortigate disks?

.. another one on the pile.

Reading boot image 1303762 bytes.
Initializing firewall...
System is started.
EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,3)): ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read inode block - inode=2, block=4
EXT3-fs: corrupt root inode, run e2fsck
Formating shared data partition ... Using default data disk.
failed, status=256!
Cannot mount shared data partition.
Using default data disk.
[fs.c:603] Read from MBR of boot device '/dev/hda' failed.
Using default data disk.
Using default data disk.
Using default data disk.
Using default data disk.
Using default data disk.
Abort booting!
unknown operation mode(0)

The system is going down NOW !!

I'm starting to think this relationship isn't going to work out :mad:

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I worked for a MSP that deployed a lot of the 60C devices to customers. The hard drives failed all the time. It was infuriating.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I have two 60C devices at home and I'm literally just waiting for the day the flash storage conks out.

I work for an MSP as well, and I'm probably not exaggerating when I say I've experienced something like a 25-30% failure rate at this point. I know that doesn't sound like a high number when you first read it, but that's like one out of four or worse.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

No that definitely sounds like an absurdly high failure rate for anything I didn't buy for my kid from the clearance bin at Toys-R-Us. Let alone a serious IT vendor.

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Their 'fix' was to disable local logging/reporting in subsequent firmware releases to reduce the number of writes on the flash media. If you try and enable disk logging via the CLI it now carries a big disclaimer about reducing the working life of the flash.

Pretty poor form, hopefully the 60Ds we're starting to roll out are more reliable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I really just need to break down and pay for their centralized management solution. We deploy enough of these that it would probably be worthwhile.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

gooby pls posted:

How do you like logstash? Just upgraded to PI 2.1 which still doesn't have a fully baked syslog server (though I see you can edit some configs to support more sev levels).
Looking to roll a free syslog server for our networking equipment and maybe some other systems if client/server wants to use it as well. No budget for something like splunk but logstash/kibana looked pretty slick.

It works pretty well.

We have a logstash "collector" that just listens on tcp/udp 514 and then dumps the syslog messages into Redis. That way, even if the indexer or ElasticSearch (the "database" part) goes down, you're still collecting events. Also lets you handle "bursty" logs where you can't process them fast enough to keep up. Super simple config for this part, just a stock Redis install. Note that you might need to tell Redis to save to disk, as I think it just saves to RAM by default, and you don't want to lose queued messages if you reboot, etc.

Then, we have the logstash "indexer", which is just a separate instance of logstash running. It grabs the messages from Redis, does a whole bunch of grok (which was not too bad to set up, took about a day), and parses out important stuff. I have it check incoming/outgoing port numbers to sort it into application buckets, get the device information, syslog event ID, geo IP location, etc.

Then, it all gets dumped into ElasticSearch and viewed with Kibana. Works pretty nicely. You do need a ton of RAM though. ElasticSearch will CRAWL without a ton of RAM, you need RAM for your Redis queue, and logstash (indexer) will take some RAM too. Make sure you adjust the init and config files to allocate them plenty of RAM each.

I built Kibana dashboards for different teams, so they can see how web traffic looks, or type in an IP and follow the sessions by application type, or just look at trend data to see if anything is out of the ordinary, geoip stuff to see our usage over time (ebb and flow of Euro traffic), etc.

e: can't say much about smaller-scale deployments. We have a ton of RAM (256GB) and get over 100 million syslog events a day. Carve out 10-20 for Redis, 75 for logstash, 100 for ElasticSearch.

madsushi fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 11, 2014

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Can a 3750-X do QinQ?

Alternatively is there a way I can allow a tagged frame to pass through a switch without needing the vlan configured on the switch?

Filthy Lucre
Feb 27, 2006
I know a 3750 can pass double tagged traffic, but I've never used one to actually do the double tagging. (We push the tag at the customer NID.)

Here is Cisco's page on qinq for the 3750, it certainly looks possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tortilla_chip
Jun 13, 2007

k-partite
You can do qinq on a per port (but not per vlan) basis.