Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think there's a difference between being "inspired" by a story and flatly imitating it. Despite last week's "men in masks take over a city while the police and vigilantes fight together" bits certainly felt similar to Dark Knight Rises, I think they've both built up to the attack and made it sufficiently different.

But I've also groaned at some of Arrow's weaker stuff - Brother Blood's mask was an awful ripoff of scarecrow and his whole schtick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Funhilde posted:

Aren't the back stories more or less similar? At least the playboy turns vigilante part. Tommy almost had more of a batman back story than Ollie.

Superficially similar. But Green Arrow isn't really a dark character -- he's Robin Hood. He's very liberal, usually cracking jokes, and he's out fighting for the everyman more than he's out fighting to end crime. Arrow hasn't quite captured this bit, bringing it a lot closer to a Batman-type character than the comic book Ollie I'd say.

Honestly, Oliver has spent almost as much time broke because "He lost his company and fortune!" as he has being the billionaire.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Superficially similar. But Green Arrow isn't really a dark character -- he's Robin Hood. He's very liberal, usually cracking jokes, and he's out fighting for the everyman more than he's out fighting to end crime. Arrow hasn't quite captured this bit, bringing it a lot closer to a Batman-type character than the comic book Ollie I'd say.

Honestly, Oliver has spent almost as much time broke because "He lost his company and fortune!" as he has being the billionaire.

I like that there seems to be a slow build to "comfortable" Ollie. We are seeing him progress from hard boiled guy on a mission to a guy with friends and allies. I know I like this show better than the "aw shucks" that was most of Smallville. My DC comic knowledge is minimal.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah but the problem for me is that DC's going for the whole "let's rip off The Dark Knight trilogy by making everything all Dark and edgy because that was the only reason why people say they are good movies" thing that DC has been doing for the past ten or so years. That's honestly the biggest problem with this show. They spend so much time ripping off batman that this show honestly doesn't get enough time to be it's own thing.

:psyduck:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Be fair, people do say the Dark Knight movies are good because they are dark and serious, even though they aren't good, so if that led to the creation of Arrow, which is dark and serious and good, I'm all for it.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Be fair, people do say the Dark Knight movies are good because they are dark and serious, even though they aren't good, so if that led to the creation of Arrow, which is dark and serious and good, I'm all for it.

This is a troll, right? Okay some would argue Rises isn't a great film, but they're pretty far from bad comic book films...

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Dark Knight Rises was pretty darn bad.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Oasx posted:

Fair enough. Perhaps I'm wrong then and it wasn't a troll at all. Guess I'm just surprised. I always thought Dark Knight trilogy was held in fairly high regard, even Rises... just to a less degree than the first two in the trilogy. Either way I'm happy if it was an inspiration for Arrow. Despite fairly frequent poor writing, Arrow's probably the show I look forward to most.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Oasx posted:

One is not all three. And yes, it was terrible from every standpoint aside from the effect budget. The first two were pretty great, for dissimilar reasons, but still pretty great.

And I ~kinda~ get what that dude's saying. Right now the biggest difference between Ollie's character and Bruce Wayne is Ollie has a sister. It'd be nice to have him be a little more Green Arrowy - like, crack a loving joke every now and then. I guess Felicity is that aspect of his characater, but it kinda leaves Ollie a little dead in the water.

But that is a whole plotting thing - it'd be pretty weird to have jokes being cracked by a dude who's mom and best bud were murdered and ex-gf was an alkie or whatever.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 11, 2014

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Keeku posted:

Fair enough. Perhaps I'm wrong then and it wasn't a troll at all. Guess I'm just surprised. I always thought Dark Knight trilogy was held in fairly high regard, even Rises... just to a less degree than the first two in the trilogy.

It is. Some people just confuse their opinions on movies for objective fact.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Keeku posted:

This is a troll, right? Okay some would argue Rises isn't a great film, but they're pretty far from bad comic book films...

Batman Begins isn't bad, but it's part of an overall bad trilogy.

BreakAtmo posted:

:ironicat:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

BreakAtmo posted:

And some people think one person's opionion stated as objective fact overrides their own opinion :)

Personally I thought Begins was really good, Dark Knight was a good film with some really bad bits, Dark Knight rises terrible all round.
So asa trilogy it abouts averages out.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Yeah, no. I responded 'it is' in reply to

Keeku posted:

I always thought Dark Knight trilogy was held in fairly high regard

I wasn't speaking about the quality of the films. Like it or not, the DKT IS held in high regard by most.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

For what it's worth, despite what's being said here about Dark Knight Rises being a terrible movie all over it still sits at an average rating of 8/10 on Rotten Tomatoes. So I'm quite comfortable in my 'it's good, but not great' opinion of it.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

To steer this ship back to land, Batman Begins was the first superhero film to really treat the subject material with weight and seriousness. It's still goddamn ninjas on trains, but there's a strong focus on the psychological underpinnings on why Bruce Wayne put on the mask and kicks rear end.

I'm not saying that "weight" is a good thing; the average person probably prefers the zippier and all together frothier marvel franchise films.

And before we give Deadpool a heart attack, I do think this is germane to Arrow. Here's how most of the press and bloggers framed arrow when it first arrived - http://glipho.com/steven/the-cw-s-arrow-bat-clone-or-bat-successor

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ollie's Compound Bow. It proper does my head in. Bring back the recurve.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
That reminds me, how realistic was it for Lauren to be able to fire that explosive arrow properly? I have always gotten the impression that if you aren't trained in archery, that it can be very hard to use a bow. Though I don't know if a compound bow is easier.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
I think what irks some people in general with DC trying to apply the dark and gritty formula is when they try to apply it to heroes more because it succeeded with Batman, than it making sense for the characters in question. Not helped for those who liked Batman himself in Non-Nolan styles, but find their voices drowned out by the choir of dark and gritty being superior - Batman The Brave And The Bold literally dedicated a segment on an early episode to defending itself for daring to be more silver age in tone.

I think fortunately enough though, the writers on Arrow do seem aware - at least to some degree - that just because something worked for Batman, doesn't mean it makes sense for Green Arrow. Ollie starts the series as a wannabe, obsessive vigilante who thinks that taking out every big named criminal (albeit it in a list) will help his city, but mainly is just out to fulfill his father's dying wish. It doesn't take long for Diggle to point out that with his resources, and his willingness to skirt the law anyway, he could be helping people in general. And since then we've had this gradual progression, with Ollie sometimes taking some steps forward, and other times taking several back, with hopefully an end point of becoming the guy we all know and love.

They certainly aren't likely to have their iteration of the Flash start out a dark knight imitator either (unless the supposed upcoming trailer proves me very wrong), because unlike other superhero productions right now, they've got the scarlet speedster smiling in his promotional material. Really doesn't seem like they're pitching a brooding anti-hero.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rocksicles posted:

Ollie's Compound Bow. It proper does my head in. Bring back the recurve.

It's a minor complaint, but this does bother me every time I think about it. They definitely need to bring back the recurve.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oasx posted:

That reminds me, how realistic was it for Lauren to be able to fire that explosive arrow properly? I have always gotten the impression that if you aren't trained in archery, that it can be very hard to use a bow. Though I don't know if a compound bow is easier.

A 70 pound bow is a 70 pound bow. With a compound, once it's drawn to length the pressure is off and you can hold it drawn all day.

But they are ridiculously hard to hit anything instinctively, using good old fashion hand eye coordination. Most use a pin sight or optic. But they look "xtreme". Ollie's style is pure robin hood, instinctive shooting. I hate the design of his compound, it's a hideous nightmare.

I have a 35 pound recurve and a 50lb recurve, i hurt my back at work recently and i cant use the 50. i've met one woman who can pull my 50 pound. Ollies compound for his size would probably be a 60-70lb

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 11, 2014

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Aside from the potential difficulty with pulling the bow, all Laurel needed to do was make the arrow go in a very general direction. That isn't hard to do - I did it with my second shot with a bow. Making it go vaguely near to a specific target is really really hard, but she didn't need to do that. If she had nailed someone in the throat with her first shot it would have been goofy, but I thought that was ok.

I feel like neither Oliver nor Malcom should really be smashing as many people in the face with their compound bows as they do, though? Anyway Ollie should just use a longbow, although I guess awkward for jumping around with.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Keeku posted:

No DKR was just bad. Iron Man 3 or either of the Captain America films are the best interpretations of a comic book character in the movies.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The MCU Cap isn't Cap.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Spergatory posted:

That's not entirely true. Robbie could get cast on Arrow! Come on, Stephen, throw your cousin a bone. :unsmith:

He could be Ollie's secret son, just put through a machine that aged him quickly or through TIME TRAVEL.

BlackJosh
Sep 25, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

The MCU Cap isn't Cap.

What? He's like the most spot on of all the Marvel characters. The Steve Rogers we've gotten on the big screen has hewed incredibly faithfully to the Steve Rogers of the comic books in terms of the "who he is". Honestly, I think Evans does a better job with Cap than even RDJ does with Stark.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
The most definitive movie version of any comics character comes from The Spider-Man Trilogy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8mVQPT6bT0

That said, I didn't like the Dark Knight Trilogy. They were good movies, but the more people talk about them being the best thing ever the more I want to see the animated series again.

I do think that Ollie in this is growing to become his comics self, which is, what I feel the point of this show should be. (As was what I thought the point of Smallville was. It probably would have been if there wasn't that "No Tights no Flights" rule).

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Senerio posted:

The most definitive movie version of any comics character comes from The Spider-Man Trilogy.

That said, I didn't like the Dark Knight Trilogy. They were good movies, but the more people talk about them being the best thing ever the more I want to see the animated series again.

I do think that Ollie in this is growing to become his comics self, which is, what I feel the point of this show should be. (As was what I thought the point of Smallville was. It probably would have been if there wasn't that "No Tights no Flights" rule).

not even looking at that link, but it's JJJ. Sure of it.

Didn't care for the Batman movies, but i'm a Batman nerd.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Rewatching the first season with my husband. The Huntress is pretty terrible. She straight up murdered like 10 FBI dudes in her second episode. Brutal.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Funhilde posted:

Rewatching the first season with my husband. The Huntress is pretty terrible. She straight up murdered like 10 FBI dudes in her second episode. Brutal.

WHY WOULD REWATCH A SHOW YOU'VE ALREADY SEEN DIDN'T YOU PAY ATTENTION THE FIRST TIME?!!?!?!

Just beating him to the punch.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Funhilde posted:

Now that I think about it, she might make good Suicide Squad fodder since her capture.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Warmachine posted:

Now that I think about it, she might make good Suicide Squad fodder since her capture.

Yeah, her dad's dead now so she doesn't really have a reason to try to wander off and go Terminator, and she's got some skills.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Rhyno posted:

WHY WOULD REWATCH A SHOW YOU'VE ALREADY SEEN DIDN'T YOU PAY ATTENTION THE FIRST TIME?!!?!?!

Just beating him to the punch.

Lol. Well you see...
Glad my husband is enjoying it in any case.

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.
Arnell just posted this up on his FB.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Funhilde posted:

Arnell just posted this up on his FB.

He just uploaded this as well asking if it's "Too soon?"

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

Senerio posted:

I find the movies a decent experiment within themselves, its just when they subsequently start affecting the rest of the Batman material - and so many other superheroes - that it frustrates me. Just because those films were dark and gritty, doesn't subsequently mean that everything involving Batman has to be dark and gritty in order to work, or that every dc hero project should attempt to give itself the same 'realistic' veneer. I mean, we've kinda seen the effect with Arrow, and its part of why its been discussed about how exciting it is that the rule against superpowers has been relaxed as the show has gone on, and certainly outright tossed aside with whats happening to Barry now.

Though my ultimate hopes still lie with Solomon Grundy rising from the grave as a nigh-unstoppable zombie.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
Stephen's doing awesome stuff again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-lIlLKndOI

Uh... that bidding escalation... http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=321404367771&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2565

jedibeavis
Mar 23, 2004

Bag 'em & tag 'em, Sarah!

Excuse me, Agent Walker.
What are the chances they'll actually collect the winning bid? I've seen way too many charity auctions on eBay get screwed over by idiots.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They rarely get the top bid I think, but they'll drill down to find a legit one.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Flash trailer confirmed for Wednesday, with a nice little peek at the end of that promo. :flashfap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
I was pretty dubious at the figure when I saw it on the main page, but the account that's winning at the moment has a 300+ rating.

Edit:

Spergatory posted:

Flash trailer confirmed for Wednesday, with a nice little peek at the end of that promo. :flashfap:

gently caress.

• Locked thread