Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's a pretty lovely plan Frampt. Might as well make the best of the Dark. It'll NEVER need rekindling. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't get this line of thought. You can only cross over while hollow in Dark Souls 1. They're not glowing white, orange, or red. They're actually physically in your world, alive, not hopping from theirs to yours. They aren't the chosen undead, they're everyone else. The people who play the game are the chosen undead and the NPCs are the other inhabitants of Lordran/Drangleic.

The dude you got the estus flask from is also implied to be the chosen undead, passing the duty to you. I think it's just a myth so that people keep trying to get through Lordran. It's like a magical piece of string that 'keeps' you from going hollow, it's all in the mind.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Can you parry the hammer fatties in Harvest Valley?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't get this line of thought. You can only cross over while hollow in Dark Souls 1. They're not glowing white, orange, or red. They're actually physically in your world, alive, not hopping from theirs to yours. They aren't the chosen undead, they're everyone else. The people who play the game are the chosen undead and the NPCs are the other inhabitants of Lordran/Drangleic.

Except:

This pleases me greatly! Well then, take this.
We are amidst strange beings, in a strange land.
The flow of time itself is convoluted, with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.
The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure.
There's no telling how much longer your world and mine will remain in contact.
But, use this,
to summon one another as spirits, cross the gaps between the worlds,
and engage in jolly co-operation!

And the fact Solaires plot canonically ends with him linking the fires in his world and becoming his very own sun.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Can you parry a Soul Greatsword and knock the caster on his rear end?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Except:

This pleases me greatly! Well then, take this.
We are amidst strange beings, in a strange land.
The flow of time itself is convoluted, with heroes centuries old phasing in and out.
The very fabric wavers, and relations shift and obscure.
There's no telling how much longer your world and mine will remain in contact.
But, use this,
to summon one another as spirits, cross the gaps between the worlds,
and engage in jolly co-operation!

And the fact Solaires plot canonically ends with him linking the fires in his world and becoming his very own sun.

I don't remember the game that well. :shrug: Seems weirdly inconsistent at best then.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Artificer posted:

Can you parry a Soul Greatsword and knock the caster on his rear end?

I know you can parry spells sight the golden wing shield

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

I know you can parry spells sight the golden wing shield

Does it ever do anything to the caster?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I finally got the Curved Dragon Greatsword, upgraded it a bit and did a few rounds of Iron Keep bridge PvP and I think I have a new favorite weapon :swoon: this thing is so fun to use

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Cardboard Box posted:

I finally got the Curved Dragon Greatsword, upgraded it a bit and did a few rounds of Iron Keep bridge PvP and I think I have a new favorite weapon :swoon: this thing is so fun to use

That sword is a right bastard on the bridge, since the triple shot it does is practically unrollable on it. Especially with lag!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The maximum upgraded Poison Manslayer on a Str/Faith build that is barely able to wield it with 18 dex will cause poison on a Basilisk in 5 hits. 4 with the Rat Covenant ring. That's...not bad actually. I assume that players will tend to have higher resists. Any ideas on how to improve on poisoning with it?

Maybe powerstanced double poison estocs/rapiers will work better after all. Hm.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
You could wear the moon butterfly gear. It wouldn't improve the manslayer but you could get some poison buildup in between attacks.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

I'm having so much trouble enjoying Dark Souls II because of soul level. My first time through the game, I played much more methodically than my friend and ended up at 2.1 million while he was at 1 million, so we couldn't fight. Now whenever I want to fight bosses or PvP I'm reminded that my characters all have limits for when they'll be pushed out of whatever bracket they started at.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Fereydun posted:

That sword is a right bastard on the bridge, since the triple shot it does is practically unrollable on it. Especially with lag!

Really? I haven't found it so much a problem to deal with. I see that sword and I switch to having Sunlight Spear on the ready to cast. I'll gladly trade with that effect all day with lightning.

Maybe I'm just fighting against poor players, but the effect doesn't seem to do that much damage. Knockdown is nice I suppose.

Matlock Birthmark fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 11, 2014

Captain Hats
Jan 6, 2009

ELF
GOD OF THUNDER!

AND ROCK AND ROLL!

So yeah, got a lightning hammer, 2x lightning spear and sunlight spear. Thor mode is fully online and I am LOVING it.

One thing that's bugging me though, I've beaten the sinner and OIK. Currently I'm at Royal Rat Authority at roughly 1 million soul memory. Has my compulsive sunbroing shot me out of co-op range or am I still good?

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

The worst submarine posted:

I'm having so much trouble enjoying Dark Souls II because of soul level. My first time through the game, I played much more methodically than my friend and ended up at 2.1 million while he was at 1 million, so we couldn't fight. Now whenever I want to fight bosses or PvP I'm reminded that my characters all have limits for when they'll be pushed out of whatever bracket they started at.

Yep, finding people to play with in NG+ is near loving impossible with 3 million soul memory. Getting invaded every minute doesn't help my enjoyment, either.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Matlock Birthmark posted:

Really? I haven't found it so much a problem to deal with. I see that sword and I switch to having Sunlight Spear on the ready to cast. I'll gladly trade with that effect all day with lightning.

Maybe I'm just fighting against poor players, but the effect doesn't seem to do that much damage. Knockdown is nice I suppose.

Sunlight Spear is way slower than the special effect swing- the trick isn't to only use it, but rather to plink 'em down with the sword's pretty good hitbox/damage and then just finish them off with an near impossible to dodge blast.

Also if you hit 'em close enough with it as an opener you basically win for free because off knockdowns you can cast heavenly thunder or firestorm and they can't escape.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Did a loving manikin seriously just lock me out of getting the laddersmith?

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Fereydun posted:

Sunlight Spear is way slower than the special effect swing- the trick isn't to only use it, but rather to plink 'em down with the sword's pretty good hitbox/damage and then just finish them off with an near impossible to dodge blast.

Also if you hit 'em close enough with it as an opener you basically win for free because off knockdowns you can cast heavenly thunder or firestorm and they can't escape.

I apologize, it was Emit Force that I was using, but I think I might have just been facing people bad with it. They made it way more obvious they were prepping for it than you make it sound here.

I might pick up that weapon and give it a shot myself.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

You have to take the long way around but you can still make it there. I forget the exact path but the same thing happened to me.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

dis astranagant posted:

No.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Burned through all but 1 of my cracked eye orbs. My word, invading is incredibly fun! They should make a Dark Souls 2½ game where there is a covenant that can invade infinitely, it would be p. great.

I actually saw a unicornblue ring summoned phantom. I was running low on red-eye orbs, this host I invaded previously and he camped in the room beneath the shaded wood bonfire that you can only jump to where he would spam toxic pyromancies and start chuggin' estus faster than my caestus could hurt him. Also he was blocking the entrance you have to jump to with his shield; I got by once but didn't want to risk it again. So I thought "let the bastard summon whoever, I kill hosts with summons 2v1 all the time in the bell covenant" and so I waited. And waited... Then finally a blue phantom joined, realized the host wouldn't budge even with backup, and promptly suicided. :suicide:

"Chuggin' estus faster than my caestus" sums up all my invasions, in fact.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wow, muting the soundtrack makes boss fights seem incredibly pathetic and Majula extremely lonely. The Last Giant isn't some fierce creature out for your blood backed by an epic vocal track, it's a pathetic thing trading pathetic blows with a pathetic undead. :smith:

The Pursuer is even goddamn creepier though. I didn't realise he had Vader style breath!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Captain Hats posted:

GOD OF THUNDER!

AND ROCK AND ROLL!

So yeah, got a lightning hammer, 2x lightning spear and sunlight spear. Thor mode is fully online and I am LOVING it.

One thing that's bugging me though, I've beaten the sinner and OIK. Currently I'm at Royal Rat Authority at roughly 1 million soul memory. Has my compulsive sunbroing shot me out of co-op range or am I still good?

No, thats well within range. I was easily able to find Co-op opportunities up to ~4mil SM, and even then I'll occasionally still find them 7m+ in NG.

RRA however you can't summon for.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Captain Hats posted:

You can't summon in ratbro territory.

Or more accurately, you can't use the white soapstones there.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Okay for some reason Poison Estoc is just hands down inferior to the Poison Scorpion's Sting or Poison Manslayer in terms of poison capabilities, and doesn't all that close in damage either. Wasted those souls and materials, but now I know.

Edit: Manslayer also does pretty close to the highest katana base damage. Worse scaling, but I was never going to get much out of scaling anyways as a Str/Faith build.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 11, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Captain Hats posted:

I'm around the same and was able to do co-op for the Brightstone Cove boss. Now I've beaten that do I need to drop down the hole in Majula? What do I need other than the ring from the cat since my HP is crap and falls seem to do fixed damage rather than a percentage

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

I'm around the same and was able to do co-op for the Brightstone Cove boss. Now I've beaten that do I need to drop down the hole in Majula? What do I need other than the ring from the cat since my HP is crap and falls seem to do fixed damage rather than a percentage

Yes and yes. Your equip weight influences fall damage as well. Alternatively, if you go to Earthen Peak there's a man that will sell you ladders for the well once you get him back to Majula by exhausting his dialogue.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Artificer posted:

Does it ever do anything to the caster?

Ive never done it myself honestly. Supposedly it shoots back at them?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yes and yes. Your equip weight influences fall damage as well. Alternatively, if you go to Earthen Peak there's a man that will sell you ladders for the well once you get him back to Majula by exhausting his dialogue.

I've got him back at Majula but I take it I won't be able to collect anything if I don't fall down myself

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

I've got him back at Majula but I take it I won't be able to collect anything if I don't fall down myself

Yup. Though you should buy the most expensive one anyway for when you get the forgotten key.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Jose posted:

What do I need other than the ring from the cat since my HP is crap and falls seem to do fixed damage rather than a percentage
I'm pretty sure it's still percentage based, but of your full, not-hollow lifebar. Also your equipped weight adds to the falldamage, so try juming down in your loincloth.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Every piece of armor from the lion dudes in the shaded woods also reduces fall damage, though the headpiece apparently only drops off the blonde one.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Does the Black Knight Greatsword have longer reach than the Drangleic Greatsword?

I haven't gone to the Iron Keep yet to grab the BKG and I'm wondering if I should just invest in what I've got (assuming they have the same 1h movesets).

EDIT: This giant spider is really goddamn hard for a melee build. Just helping others and leveling up in the meantime until I summon help and get lucky.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Doflamingo posted:

Yep, finding people to play with in NG+ is near loving impossible with 3 million soul memory. Getting invaded every minute doesn't help my enjoyment, either.

I'm at 4.5M and haven't had any problem finding sunbros or normal people to summon for boss fights in NG+, in Lost Bastille at the moment. Constant invasions by cops are a bit annoying, but its taught me to always be ready for an invasion every 5/10 minutes.

I was wondering - do cops invade a specific area or do they just invade any suitable sinner, wherever they are?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

PublicOpinion posted:

Every piece of armor from the lion dudes in the shaded woods also reduces fall damage, though the headpiece apparently only drops off the blonde one.

Genocided that guy and a pocketful of copper coins while wearing dumb jester hats and zombie rags and he didn't frickin' drop that cool head-ornament thing. :argh:

Speaking of sweet-looking armor: I do not understand why Creighton's chest piece isn't more popular. It's a stylish spin on early-medieval knight-wear and goes very well with a huge variety of accessories, yet I have yet to see a single other player wearing it.

Benhart's too, really, but you can't get that 'til late-game and you feel way less bad about killing Creighton than him.

e. v v v

david... posted:

I don't think I've ever had them drop any armor in all my playthroughs, is the headpiece their sweet dreadlocks?

It's a sort of circlet-chain thing. The NPC you can summon for the Ruin Sentinels fight is wearing it.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

PublicOpinion posted:

I don't think I've ever had them drop any armor in all my playthroughs, is the headpiece their sweet dreadlocks?

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

Mazed posted:

Genocided that guy and a pocketful of copper coins while wearing dumb jester hats and zombie rags and he didn't frickin' drop that cool head-ornament thing. :argh:

Speaking of sweet-looking armor: I do not understand why Creighton's chest piece isn't more popular. It's a stylish spin on early-medieval knight-wear and goes very well with a huge variety of accessories, yet I have yet to see a single other player wearing it.

Benhart's too, really, but you can't get that 'til late-game and you feel way less bad about killing Creighton than him.

e. v v v

It's a sort of circlet-chain thing. The NPC you can summon for the Ruin Sentinels fight is wearing it.

I'm a big fan of Creightons, he and Benhart both have stags on their armour too so they're clearly followers of the true king Stannis Baratheon.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Do Jester's Robes not do poo poo? It says "nullifies critical hits" except I got riposted and died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Dreggon posted:

Do Jester's Robes not do poo poo? It says "nullifies critical hits" except I got riposted and died.

Backstabs only afaik.