Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I wonder if he's predisposed to being nicer to Ventrue. Kind of like how Gary really hates you if you're a Toreador.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

DeathChicken posted:

I wonder if he's predisposed to being nicer to Ventrue. Kind of like how Gary really hates you if you're a Toreador.

He does have a few unique lines for Ventrue which is kinda neat, at one point he is like "It is our responsibility to herd the lesser clans you know." and gives you a knowing smile. The facial animations are still really great despite the age of the game and give so much characterization.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

moot the hopple posted:

Stealthing it is really easy and requires less sneaking than you'd expect. Just talk to the first cop you see and convince him to distract a patrolling guard, move into the ship's center area, pick up the ship manifest, go up a ladder to the ship's helm/control area, hack a terminal and use the accessed cameras to get a look at the sarcophagus. Walk out and then you're done.

It actually requires zero stealth skill, you just need the appropriate computer skill or to find the password.

I always loved that that was a viable solution to that quest. Go and examine it thoroughly in person? Nah, check on it from some wide lens camera from 50 feet away, good enough.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Another cool thing is that if you have high enough Dominate at that point, you can just force the guy to hand over the shipping manifest and give you the password to the computer.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

RagnarokAngel posted:

He does have a few unique lines for Ventrue which is kinda neat, at one point he is like "It is our responsibility to herd the lesser clans you know." and gives you a knowing smile. The facial animations are still really great despite the age of the game and give so much characterization.

His voice acting was great. I loved how smug he was when discussing his high-bred European past and his sire. It reminded me a bit of Dr. Evil

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So I picked the game up the game over the weekend, as I've always wanted to play the game but never got around to getting it, and I'm attempting to use the Patch 1.2 as linked in the First post.
The installshield starts up and than I get a popup:
Setup could not determine the current version of VTM: Bloodlines
installation. Please verify the game has been properly installed

I've launched it from inside the steamapps/vampire as well as where it downloaded to(my downloads file) same error no matter what while trying to patch

Am I missing something?

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So I picked the game up the game over the weekend, as I've always wanted to play the game but never got around to getting it, and I'm attempting to use the Patch 1.2 as linked in the First post.
The installshield starts up and than I get a popup:
Setup could not determine the current version of VTM: Bloodlines
installation. Please verify the game has been properly installed

I've launched it from inside the steamapps/vampire as well as where it downloaded to(my downloads file) same error no matter what while trying to patch

Am I missing something?

The Steam version of Vampire already contains 1.2. Move on to whatever other patch you want.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Pope Guilty posted:

The Steam version of Vampire already contains 1.2. Move on to whatever other patch you want.

doah thank you

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Tiny Chalupa posted:

doah thank you

Don't worry, the same thing got me too. :downs:

snack soul
Jul 6, 2005

Humans Among Us posted:

When you guys are talking about those sewers, do you mean the one in Downtown with the 9th circle miniboss?
Cus that was what was stopping me last playthrough but wasn't all that hard this time around on a shooty ventrue.

Also is it worth doing the Dane stuff without murdering the poo poo out of the police? I have super crappy stealth and am basically either just persuading/dominating everyone or shooting them in the face. Doesn't look like either one is gonna net me the best result here.

If you're referring to the plaguebearer quest, then no, not even close.

Those sewers are in Hollywood, and they're far worse than you can possibly imagine.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I've run into a problem with this game. I cannot read jack poo poo on maps/walls. Was the tiny text ever legible? Is there a setting I can change to to fix this?

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I've run into a problem with this game. I cannot read jack poo poo on maps/walls. Was the tiny text ever legible? Is there a setting I can change to to fix this?

Did you press E to interact with the map?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Do you just mean the textures and sprites? Because the game's about a decade old, and it's just really low-res. Most of it you're just not really meant to read and if you are then...

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Did you press E to interact with the map?

Interact with it if you can. Everything else is just flavor. I mean a lot of it is amusing, like the stuff in Gimble's, but otherwise you don't need to know what it says.

SlomoLaggins
Dec 16, 2000

FYI, if you're playing with the Plus version of the UP and despise the "restored" turnstile in Confession, it's pretty easy to remove if you don't mind a script edit:

- Save your game anywhere that's not Confession.
- Go to the game's installation folder, then the Vampire\python subfolder.
- Insert the four highlighted lines (retain the indentation) at line 64 of vamputil.py:
pre:
    if G.Patch_Plus == 1:
        plus = __main__.FindEntitiesByName("plus_*")
        for b in plus:
            b.ScriptUnhide()
        basic = __main__.FindEntitiesByName("basic_*")
        for b in basic:
            b.ScriptHide()
        t = Find("plus_turnstile")
        if t: t.Kill()
        t = Find("plus_turnstilez")
        if t: t.Kill()
        cop = Find("Cop_Deck1_Guard2")
        if cop: cop.SetModel("models/character/npc/common/Cop_Variant/rookied_cop/Rookied_Cop.mdl")
The next time you enter Confession, it'll be smooth sailing.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
I was using E on the maps/signs and noticed super low res,computers and important poo poo is fine. Just making sure that there wasn't something I could do to fix it before I play through the whole game and see a post like "what a scrub he didn't even fix the text res".

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, I have no idea why anyone thought that turnstile was a good idea. It even looks like crap.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
GOD DAMNIT YOU DON'T APPRECIATE THAT HE HAS RESTORED CONTENT CUT FROM THE SHIPPING PRODUCT FOR YOUR ENJOYMENT! YOU WOULD HAVE NEVER GOTTEN TO SEE THESE THINGS IF IT WASN'T FOR HIM! HE RESTORED THE TURNSTILE LIKE IT OR NOT drat YOU!

Also he moved the trashcan outside two-fifths of a foot to the left and rotated it seven degrees. To restore it.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Holy hell so I'm the middle of my first play through.
I got a Gangrel doing the questions and am going mainly Melee heavy + lockpicking
Strength/Dex/Stamina/Wits all have 2 points in it
Everything else is 1

Should I bother to put more points into Lockpicking or am i better off focusing on Attributes and Disciplines?
All 3 Disciplines seem really good for the Gangrel not sure how to do my points overall though

Anywho the main reason I'm posting is. The first hotel with the haunted ghost? Holy hell that is well done!!! A little creepy with the ghost/plates/whispering
So yeah I'm really not far at all but hot drat. Really well made game. Kinda wish it got a sequel with newgen graphics.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Generally speaking you should go in on security or hacking and preferably both. You'll fare well enough getting lockpick to 2 and then using blood buff to boost your skill through most of the game.

Really, your early game is probably well-suited to rounding out your character with 2 points in relevant skills. Brawl, dodge, hacking, security, sneak. Scholarship can save you some XP, conceivably, and it gives you some persuasion options, but it's optional.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Holy hell so I'm the middle of my first play through.
I got a Gangrel doing the questions and am going mainly Melee heavy + lockpicking
Strength/Dex/Stamina/Wits all have 2 points in it
Everything else is 1

Should I bother to put more points into Lockpicking or am i better off focusing on Attributes and Disciplines?
All 3 Disciplines seem really good for the Gangrel not sure how to do my points overall though

Anywho the main reason I'm posting is. The first hotel with the haunted ghost? Holy hell that is well done!!! A little creepy with the ghost/plates/whispering
So yeah I'm really not far at all but hot drat. Really well made game. Kinda wish it got a sequel with newgen graphics.

Even on a melee focused run, I don't put points into Stamina because I find the protection from armor and occult items is good enough. There's always Fortitude if you need the extra soak in a pinch.

I'd focus on Animalism first, though, especially if you are going melee weapons only because it will give you more flexibility. Animalism has good range abilities, stunlocks, one-hit kill powers, and bloodsucker's communion pretty much pays for itself. Protean is just buffs and the war form has really janky animations that make it hard to land all your strikes.

Note, I think the unofficial patch does some weird rearranging/substituting powers so YMMV.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Is there a goon-census of the best version of the fan patch?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If you don't want the CQM content then just download that mod's version. It's just about the last substantial one that anyone can agree is worthwhile

Boogle
Sep 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

Gyshall posted:

Anything past 7.x I tend to find a lot of questionable choices in the restored content. Otherwise just use the plain bug fix version.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Man these sewers are indeed pretty terrible.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I reinstalled this game again today, and installed the clan quest mod + the resolution patcher. Something seems wrong though I am in the character creation sheet and logos and stuff just look blurry and awful and really low resolution, any idea?

Fat_Cow fucked around with this message at 20:13 on May 8, 2014

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

So I reinstalled the game fairly recently and downloaded the clan quest mod. Are guns supposed to be so ridiculously powerful now? I was fighting Vick with my toredor and went down in 2 to 3 shots from him. Also is it just me or does this mod significantly tune the health of bosses really high? It took me forever to whittle down some of the boss battles to get up to this point and I'm wondering if I just installed something wrong or if it's supposed to be like this.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Ferrosol posted:

So I reinstalled the game fairly recently and downloaded the clan quest mod. Are guns supposed to be so ridiculously powerful now? I was fighting Vick with my toredor and went down in 2 to 3 shots from him. Also is it just me or does this mod significantly tune the health of bosses really high? It took me forever to whittle down some of the boss battles to get up to this point and I'm wondering if I just installed something wrong or if it's supposed to be like this.

Depends on which gameplay mod you installed. Sounds like you did the bad one.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Anti-aliasing sounds like a likely culprit, if you've imposed it somehow.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Anti-aliasing sounds like a likely culprit, if you've imposed it somehow.

I don't think I did? I just installed Clan Quest and started the game, unless my AMD hates it for some reason.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Try running the game in XP-compatibility mode.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Fuzz posted:

Depends on which gameplay mod you installed. Sounds like you did the bad one.

Yep a reinstall unfucked it. Turns out the terrible mod is set to be installed by default and if you neglect to untick it welp...

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Gyshall posted:

Just use the clan quest mod.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fuzz posted:

I am amazed there's no unlocker that just unlocks all those doors in that shortcut waypoint hallway. Would save a shitload of time and is like a 5 minute script.
What hallway?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there any way to get ENB working with steam?

Steam screenshots take a picture before the ENB settings are applied :(

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Rebind your screenshot key?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
You can even rebind the screenshot key to a combo of keys to basically guarantee it'll never overlap with a game, I like Shift+F12.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I wonder if someone couldn't just hack that locked door in the crypt open so the sewers and everything else are just bypassed. Going through that thing is such a kick in the rear end.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

I wonder if someone couldn't just hack that locked door in the crypt open so the sewers and everything else are just bypassed. Going through that thing is such a kick in the rear end.

Wesp could easily do it, but he won't because ORIGINAL VISION and all that. If anything he'd probably restore extra sewers if they existed. :psyduck:

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
^^ IIRC the ClanQuest mod provides the opportunity to tell Bertram Tung about the problems of the Nosferatu, then shadow him through the normal, non-combat sewers to the crypt. At least, one of my mods allows that, and I've uninstalled the plus patch to enable ClanQuest instead. I *think* you have to confront Andrei first, then exit the combat-sewers ASAP. It's been a while since I played last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Game still holds up visually

Clan Quest Mod is good fun, thanks for the recommendation.

• Locked thread