Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moon Whaler
Jul 1, 2007

I'm applying for an ARC right now and I've hit a roadblock.

I have a job, the correct visa and all the relevant paperwork except for "proof of address".

I've been staying at a hostel so I don't have any paperwork showing my address. I have a girlfriend in Taiwan whose landlord is her grandmother, as well as two Taiwanese cousins who have their own place. Is it best to keep bugging the hostel people for some sort of proof, or just pretend I live with my girlfriend or cousins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barto
Dec 27, 2004

Moon Whaler posted:

I have a job, the correct visa and all the relevant paperwork except for "proof of address".

I've been staying at a hostel so I don't have any paperwork showing my address. I have a girlfriend in Taiwan whose landlord is her grandmother, as well as two Taiwanese cousins who have their own place. Is it best to keep bugging the hostel people for some sort of proof, or just pretend I live with my girlfriend or cousins?

pretend, change it later.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Barto posted:

If you go to the one near Taipei Main Station, they'll do it all for you- like 100% all of it. Just bring passport/ID/bankcards/payment receipts. It's really nice.
I think you can pay by credit card or whatnot, I imagine you could go do it, go to the ATM and get out the money and then go back and give it to them even.

Yeah, they've always done the forms for me, in Tainan. And last year there wasn't even a form, just "E-File, okay?" and she clicked like three buttons on a computer and it was done.

Moon Whaler posted:

For my first time in Tainan, and when I moved to New Taipei City I had to present a copy of my actual lease to the office. Actually, it was a big pain the first time I applied for the ARC since I didn't know I needed to bring that, and I didn't have enough that time to rush home and get the lease and make it back.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Also there's only room in this country for one poster whose SA screen name begins with "Moon" so I'm afraid you're going to have to leave.

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
Small stakes poker tonight 500NT$ buy-ins.

Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 500NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. My number is 0970229902 if yo get lost/need me to LINE you a location.

Kick off around 10PM

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I may actually be able to make it, depending on whether or not my new school needs me for a demo tomorrow.

EDIT: They do :(

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 14:33 on May 2, 2014

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

url posted:

Small stakes poker tonight 500NT$ buy-ins.

Zhongshan N Rd. Section 2, Alley 115 No. 15
中山北路二段115巷15號

Name of the place is 川娃子

If you Google Maps the address it will show the proper place, more or less. There's a big red and white sign with 川娃子 on it out front. If you're going north on Zhongshan Rd, take a right at the tiny alley in front of Mr. Onion and it's just a bit down that alley. Prepare to buy-in for at least 500NT. Beer and food are available for non-exorbitant prices. My number is 0970229902 if yo get lost/need me to LINE you a location.

Kick off around 10PM

Bugger, I should really check this thread right when when I come home.

Moon Whaler
Jul 1, 2007

Barto posted:

pretend, change it later.

Thanks for the suggestion. That's what I did and it worked great!

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

BottledBacon posted:

Bugger, I should really check this thread right when when I come home.

I didn't see your message until this morning, my bad.

Next game is 1K buy-ins, Friday 16th, all the same details otherwise.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Today I'm learning how much it sucks to take over from someone who was apparently deliberately trying to get fired.

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
So, as y'all may remember, I'm coming to Taipei to work briefly (as a researcher) this summer. I have some (basic) questions.

1) I assume the best way to go from USD->TWD is by withdrawing money from ATMs? My bank does not charge foreign transaction fees.

2) Are subway card given away or sold at all metro stops?

3) Any gift suggestions for old/young people?

Thanks for the advice.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Will Rice posted:

Yep, there are machines at every station on the Taipei MRT that will sell you cards and ones that will let you recharge them, and you can buy or recharge them at pretty much any convenience store too. Probably other places as well at this point.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

TetsuoTW posted:

Yep, there are machines at every station on the Taipei MRT that will sell you cards and ones that will let you recharge them, and you can buy or recharge them at pretty much any convenience store too. Probably other places as well at this point.

You can also use them to buy things at shops like 7-11. And for the buses. And probably other things too.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
You can also use them on most trains in the Taipei area and some distance buses, as well as buses in Taichung (for free!), Hsinchu, etc.
Really the Yoyo Card is a fantastic invention!!

e; just noticed the question about gifts...
Are you looking to buy gifts in Taiwan to bring home, or gifts from home to bring to Taiwan?

For stuff from home, fancy chocolate is a pretty safe bet if "home" is any Western country. Be careful of the melty though. Vitamins and nutritional supplements are more expensive/harder to get here, so they are a good gift for elderly people. With the people I have met I think alcohol would be an acceptable gift but it is definitely not as common here as in the States. Of course anything that is distinctive to your particular area (like some sort of local craft and/or food) would be special.

For stuff from Taiwan to bring home, pineapple pastry/cake (鳳梨酥) is distinctively Taiwanese, sold everywhere, and suitable to a Western palate (sweet). You could also bring back dried fruits (mango, guava etc). If your family and friends are easy going they might get a kick out of a variety of shrimp/squid/seaweed based chips and snacks (or straight up dried squid if they're really adventurous)

hitension fucked around with this message at 23:40 on May 7, 2014

USDA Choice
Jul 4, 2004

BIG TEN PRIDE

Will Rice posted:

1) I assume the best way to go from USD->TWD is by withdrawing money from ATMs? My bank does not charge foreign transaction fees.

3) Any gift suggestions for old/young people?

Thanks for the advice.

1. Yes. For foreign card withdrawals I believe most ATMs charge NT$50 or 100.

2. Been covered, they're right and it really is that convenient. You generally pay $500 for $400 of value + the $100 deposit then can add value without a fee later.

3. Pineapple cake is the go-to gift when leaving Taiwan. If you're giving the gifts to Taiwanese then like hitension said, I would go with whatever the regional specialty is. Even if it doesn't suit the Taiwanese palate they'll still be tickled to try it.

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I've been to Taiwan a few times already, but never by myself, so it helps to get some basic information. A few of my taiwanese friends have asked for vitamins/chocolate already, so I'll just get a few uniquely American things to bring the other people.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Does anyone know where to get the algae beer in Taipei? I remember the brewery was called Manual Wheat Beer, and the only result that shows up on google is.. this thread. I've heard you can get it by Ximending.

And what is the name of the brewery by Hooters?

I'm showing a friend around who is a brewmaster for some San Francisco microbreweries and I want to try to take her to a different place each night. Those are the only two on my list I can't find online.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Horatius Bonar posted:

Looks like Jolly Brewery Restaurant maybe?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Horatius Bonar posted:

Does anyone know where to get the algae beer in Taipei? I remember the brewery was called Manual Wheat Beer, and the only result that shows up on google is.. this thread. I've heard you can get it by Ximending.

I'm showing a friend around who is a brewmaster for some San Francisco microbreweries and I want to try to take her to a different place each night. Those are the only two on my list I can't find online.

The algae beer is at a small bar within walking distance of Haishan Station in Tucheng. They probably have a Facebook page, but god knows what it is. If memory serves, TetsuoTW has the address in his phone.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

You have the worst goddamned timing. I just cleared out my text messages yesterday. Fortunately Google Maps helped remind me of the street name. It's at 土城區中央路一段67號 (No. 67, Zhongyang Rd. Sec. 1, Tucheng) - if this worked, directions here.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

That's exactly it, thanks. Can't remember if that beer was even any good, but the only English on their webpage says "Purely manually ferments the beer" so it's going to be authentic Taiwanese at least.

TetsuoTW posted:

You have the worst goddamned timing. I just cleared out my text messages yesterday. Fortunately Google Maps helped remind me of the street name. It's at 土城區中央路一段67號 (No. 67, Zhongyang Rd. Sec. 1, Tucheng) - if this worked, directions here.

drat that's out there. I've never been this far down the blue line. But algae beer is worth it! Thank you!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Has anyone tried the tequila beer that's been popping up here recently?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
I have. Tastes like sodey pop.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Beep boop beep just chilling with kenner.

So do you guys have all day breakfast places here in Taiwan?

caberham fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 10, 2014

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Goons will be goons.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

url you fucker turn on pm's

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

TetsuoTW posted:

url you fucker turn on pm's

apols dude. my plat was the victim of my posting :)

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Then be better at posting.

Or at having your phone.

In which case don't worry about the posting.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
After 8.5 months in Taiwan I finally met a Taiwan goon.... in Hong Kong.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

caberham posted:

So do you guys have all day breakfast places here in Taiwan?
Taiwanese people already eat hamburgers, rice balls, and sandwiches for breakfast. I don't think they really get the separation of breakfast from other meals.
Waffles are almost only available in the afternoon though :T

I assume you must mean that sort of Westernized pancake and scrambled egg and mimosa type place?

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
We have standard breakfast joints that are open from like 6:00 to 1:00 and serve dan bing and breakfast sandwiches and poo poo, then we have all-night stoner-food & soymilk joints that serve the exact same fare (only somehow greasier and more shameful) from like 7:00pm to 5:00am. So really you're only missing breakfast from the hours of 1:00 to 7:00.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

hitension posted:

Taiwanese people already eat hamburgers, rice balls, and sandwiches for breakfast.
That kinda stuff is breakfast fare here.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

duckfarts posted:

That kinda stuff is breakfast fare here.

...That's what I meant.
I do love the 24 hour availability of the hamburger though. More :911: than :911: itself

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Do you guys get your hamburgers delivered 24h?

I was thinking more along the lines of waffles and pancakes and more waffles. Or drinking Bloody Mary's on a Sunday.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

quadrophrenic posted:

We have standard breakfast joints that are open from like 6:00 to 1:00 and serve dan bing and breakfast sandwiches and poo poo, then we have all-night stoner-food & soymilk joints that serve the exact same fare (only somehow greasier and more shameful) from like 7:00pm to 5:00am. So really you're only missing breakfast from the hours of 1:00 to 7:00.

My local breakfast joint opens at 4am. I know this because I was there at the end of a very long night of drinking.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
That was a lot closer to 5am than any of us want to admit.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

caberham posted:

Yep
http://www.mcdonalds.com.tw/tw/ch/mdsl.html
http://weborder.mos.com.tw/Modules/Web/DeliverAddrSerach.aspx

Best waffles are probably at NTU's campus but :ssh:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

He said hamburgers not McDonald's :rolleye:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

caberham posted:

I was thinking more along the lines of waffles and pancakes and more waffles. Or drinking Bloody Mary's on a Sunday.
Well it sure ain't waffles and more waffles, but NY Bagels is 24-hour and does breakfast sets which are basically that. Eggs, bacon, pancakes, toast, all that kind of stuff is on the menu in various configurations. If 24-hour doesn't matter, Carnegie's does a good big fry-up breakfast, and 1bite2go makes some crispy fuckin' bacon. Their scrambled eggs were pretty much poo poo, but the bacon was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Atlas Hugged posted:

That was a lot closer to 5am than any of us want to admit.

Oh poo poo no I didn't make it to bed until like 6am at least. But I asked them while we were there and they said four.

Did you just take the MRT home or what?