Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Is it uncommon to summon people at The Rotten? I'm trying to go back to being a human before I fight it. Or is it because my soul memory is 1.15 million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Jose posted:

Is it uncommon to summon people at The Rotten? I'm trying to go back to being a human before I fight it. Or is it because my soul memory is 1.15 million

It will be tight at 1+mil, but people do grind rotten for souls with acetics. If you're not getting bites, its probably because anyone grinding isn't going to summon since they'll just give the boss more HP and, in spite of the soul memory, probably won't be expecting NG++++...

So yeah, its your soul memory.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is it because of the order I've done things? I've done a bit of co-op but not a huge amount and I doubt I've died more than usual which makes it a bit poo poo if I'm locked out. Soul memory for co-op is so dumb. Maybe I should get the name engraved ring

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

I used to sunbro / summon dudes for The Rotten really quickly, although I forgot what soul memory I was at. I have a character in that level range if you'd like to do a small soapstone grouping for the area since it's already killed the boss.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

Alright, time to punch everything to death. What was the minimum for dual wielding Caesti again?

http://darksouls2.wiki.fextralife.com/Caestus

15/11.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Jose posted:

Is it because of the order I've done things? I've done a bit of co-op but not a huge amount and I doubt I've died more than usual which makes it a bit poo poo if I'm locked out. Soul memory for co-op is so dumb. Maybe I should get the name engraved ring

The name engraved ring only helps to match up with specific players. It'll hurt your chances more than help.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ulvirich posted:

I used to sunbro / summon dudes for The Rotten really quickly, although I forgot what soul memory I was at. I have a character in that level range if you'd like to do a small soapstone grouping for the area since it's already killed the boss.

I'm sorted now but thanks. I'm probably just being impatient

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Are there any guides available for someone just starting out, beyond the OP?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Pick up a couple of weapons and decide which one you like, then decide if you like magic or not. Try to get your weight % below 50% or 70%. I don't really know what to tell a complete beginner besides learn to love the roll.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Awesome. I completely exhausted the Iron Keep of Alonne Knights and not one single Blacksteel Katana. I'm wearing the Gold Serpent Ring +1 and both prisoner outfit pieces and got like 20 pieces of each part of the armor. But nope. Not the one thing I'm looking for. I hate this loving game sometimes.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Awesome. I completely exhausted the Iron Keep of Alonne Knights and not one single Blacksteel Katana. I'm wearing the Gold Serpent Ring +1 and both prisoner outfit pieces and got like 20 pieces of each part of the armor. But nope. Not the one thing I'm looking for. I hate this loving game sometimes.

I have like 3 and I can trade you one if you don't mind giving me a cool looking armor of some sort

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This wiki has an okay writeup for someone completely new to the game and series.
If you have any specific question, feel free to ask them here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

GreyPowerVan posted:

I have like 3 and I can trade you one if you don't mind giving me a cool looking armor of some sort

Want an Alonne Knight Armor? How about 17 of them?

edit: But actually, I appreciate the offer but I think I'll just use a bonfire ascetic and try again. At least I have lots of poo poo to sell to Gavlan.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

GreyPowerVan posted:

Pick up a couple of weapons and decide which one you like, then decide if you like magic or not. Try to get your weight % below 50% or 70%. I don't really know what to tell a complete beginner besides learn to love the roll.

Also unless you're a caster, put the same amount of priority on getting ADP to 20 as you would your main damage stat. Dodging sucks before you start getting into the mid/high 90s for agility.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CJacobs posted:

Want an Alonne Knight Armor? How about 17 of them?

edit: But actually, I appreciate the offer but I think I'll just use a bonfire ascetic and try again. At least I have lots of poo poo to sell to Gavlan.

Is there a reason you want the Blacksteel specifically? You could always just grab the ember and buy an Uchigatana from McDuff.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

Is there a reason you want the Blacksteel specifically? You could always just grab the ember and buy an Uchigatana from McDuff.

Blacksteel has the best dex scaling in the game, i think.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

GreyPowerVan posted:

Blacksteel has the best dex scaling in the game, i think.

It does, yes. I used it for a while. The problem with that line of thought is that it's Dex scaling.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Ran into my first invincible invader today. I just don't get it. Why even bother invading if you can't die? Like, what's fun about that?

Anyway, the guy was completely terrible, and it's not like I'm good. I backstabbed him 3-4 times and plinked him with a couple of spells before I just said gently caress it because I was right next to the bonfire anyway and just let him kill me.

I usually play fighting games and I can't imagine anyone getting on SF4 and playing with infinite health and actually enjoying themselves. Same thing here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

King of Solomon posted:

It looks cool and has good Dex scaling for my dual-wielding dude.

Which means I'm gonna have to grind out two of them. :suicide:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

CJacobs posted:

It looks cool and has good Dex scaling for my dual-wielding dude.

Which means I'm gonna have to grind out two of them. :suicide:

What's your SM?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

turtlecrunch posted:

What's your SM?

298,994, so I'm JUST BARELY in the 270,000 - 299,999 range right now. I went to Majula and picked up the name ring, set it to the first god on the list. Just leave a sign on the bridge in the Iron Keep if you're in range.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
Okay, so how much Agi do people use when they don't use shields? Because I started an explorer, trying to go for dual wielding/bows, and my dodging absolutely sucks against everything with any amount of tracking.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

CJacobs posted:

298,994, so I'm JUST BARELY in the 270,000 - 299,999 range right now. I went to Majula and picked up the name ring, set it to the first god on the list. Just leave a sign on the bridge in the Iron Keep if you're in range.

Aw I do have 2 of them but I'm at 951k. Sorry. :(

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

turtlecrunch posted:

Aw I do have 2 of them but I'm at 951k. Sorry. :(

Fuuuck. I knew I should have done the Iron Keep last. :negative:

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Okay, so how much Agi do people use when they don't use shields? Because I started an explorer, trying to go for dual wielding/bows, and my dodging absolutely sucks against everything with any amount of tracking.

100 AGI. Or basically 25 ADP. I mean 20 is good but I put 25 because gently caress fighting the rotten when trying to speedrun.

Goddamn trolling rear end boss. He's easy when you take your time, but when you are trying to beat as fast you can, he loving just loves loving with you.

edit: For last page. Mad Warrior is a infinite spawn. He does not despawn.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

It does, yes. I used it for a while. The problem with that line of thought is that it's Dex scaling.

Is dex really flat-out worse than strength in terms of numbers by a substantial amount?

Because I really just want a ninja character to compliment my hulking brute.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Used a bonfire ascetic, killed like the first two rooms of guys, and

(forgot to take a shot of the first one but look at how many god drat souls I have from all this grinding gently caress)

Holy fuckin shiiiiit

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 11, 2014

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Grats. Pretty sure this game has a desire meter like Monster Hunter, but sometimes it malfunctions.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bobnumerotres posted:

Is dex really flat-out worse than strength in terms of numbers by a substantial amount?

Because I really just want a ninja character to compliment my hulking brute.

Not many great DEX weapons in this game. Even the best ones have a really lovely durability.

So yeah.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

As far as high-end melee PvP goes, speed generally trumps power because poise is so crummy in this game, right? With maybe an exception made for the moonlight greatsword?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Bobnumerotres posted:

Yes. To put it in perspective, an S scaling in Dex is about halfway between a C and B scaling in Strength. The speed of the weapons completely fails to compensate for this, especially when you account for the lack of Dex-focused strike weapons.

Cowcaster posted:

As far as high-end melee PvP goes, speed generally trumps power because poise is so crummy in this game, right? With maybe an exception made for the moonlight greatsword?

Generally speaking, your best bet is to get a decently quick weapon and infuse it with something so it can actually deal damage.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

None. If it's your first shieldless build? Go for at least 20ADP. Something closer to 30 for 100 AGI is better, but ADP is completely optional. I barely notice the difference between the one character I stacked ADP for a PvP dagger build, and the others sitting on like 3 ADP. It DEFINITELY makes a difference, just saying that if you already know the game, you can generally safely ignore it in favor of other stats. Getting to that point on a shieldless build can make good use of the faster estus better iframes.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Is 1.6M SM too much to get summoned for the Mirror Knight? I've been here like fifteen minutes.

I just want some sunlight medals :(

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

Generally speaking, your best bet is to get a decently quick weapon and infuse it with something so it can actually deal damage.

Yeah, I love me my great club but at 2 million soul memory the belfry has completely dried up and the few people who are left run circles around me and dice me into delicious prosciutto.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

People who poo poo on dex are dumb. Yeah it's a worse than str for PVE (tho dex weapons are much better for PVP, generally speaking) but not by an insane amount. I've done several dex based runs and had a lot of fun. Just keep two weapons on you at all times in case one of them starts to run out of durability. You even get a large weapon option in the form of Murakumo or Arced Sword.

The fact that the scaling is worse than str doesn't really mean anything since scaling is just straight up bad in general.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Genocyber posted:

People who poo poo on dex are dumb. Yeah it's a worse than str for PVE (tho dex weapons are much better for PVP, generally speaking) but not by an insane amount. I've done several dex based runs and had a lot of fun. Just keep two weapons on you at all times in case one of them starts to run out of durability. You even get a large weapon option in the form of Murakumo or Arced Sword.

The fact that the scaling is worse than str doesn't really mean anything since scaling is just straight up bad in general.

I poo poo on Dex because my Dex run was a massive shitshow until I got a katana and a decent bow, and even then it still wasn't great. Dex is weak.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, I love me my great club but at 2 million soul memory the belfry has completely dried up and the few people who are left run circles around me and dice me into delicious prosciutto.

If you haven't already switch over to NG+ and you'll have a new batch of suckers to kill.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Ciaphas posted:

Is 1.6M SM too much to get summoned for the Mirror Knight? I've been here like fifteen minutes.

I just want some sunlight medals :(

My 951k character is at Undead Crypt (and I co-opped instead of eating humanities this run) so I think you're way too high.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Party Plane Jones posted:

If you haven't already switch over to NG+ and you'll have a new batch of suckers to kill.
Would asceticing the bonfire count in this case, or do I need a genuine NG+? I did that to re-kill the gargoyles ages ago so I don't think it had an effect.

I genuinely don't know what I did to get my soul memory so high, I still have the undead crypt to do, the aldia's keep leg, and all the memories.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

I poo poo on Dex because my Dex run was a massive shitshow until I got a katana and a decent bow, and even then it still wasn't great. Dex is weak.

It's weaker than str for PVE but still plenty good. Katanas especially thanks to their really good moveset. Not to mention you get the best halberd (Syan's) and the Murakumo if you need something harder hitting.