Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

Early promotional material for the first Spider-Man movie had to be recalled by Sony. Why?

They prominently featured the Twin Towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The first trailer was some badmen robbing a bank and flying away in a helicopter only for it to suddenly stop in mid air. The camera then zoomed out revealing it to be stuck in a giant web between the Twin Towers. It was rad.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 9, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Precambrian posted:

Early promotional material for the first Spider-Man movie had to be recalled by Sony. Why?

They prominently featured the Twin Towers.

9/11 messed up a lot of stuff that was going on at the time, even stuff unrelated like Treasure Planet was supposedly re-edited to make it less violent.

It's sort of similar to the writer's strike in 2007 and how that effected Transformers 2 and Quantum of Solace.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

computer parts posted:

9/11 messed up a lot of stuff that was going on at the time, even stuff unrelated like Treasure Planet was supposedly re-edited to make it less violent.

Don't forget it overhauled Men in Black 2 as well apparently. Although that film was very bad so I doubt the original version was any better.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Baron von Eevl posted:

Specifically one of the lead actors and some loving kids were killed on the set. It was a really big deal and the shoot probably was ignoring child labor laws.

Didn't this happen on some Joe Pesci film as well? Not kids, but a stuntman or something.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

Didn't this happen on some Joe Pesci film as well? Not kids, but a stuntman or something.

Stuntmen get killed all the drat time.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The one film that was really adversely affected by the closeness to 9/11 was Big Trouble, a Barry Sonnenfeld adaptation of Dave Barry's novel. It was supposed to come out that Friday, and the last act involved a bomb on an airplane, so it was pulled, re-edited somewhat, and eventually dumped out months later with little promotion or interest.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uh...I had this bookmarked for some reason, apparently.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

quote:

Sherlock, Jr. (1924). While hanging from a water tower, Buster Keaton pulls a rope which releases water from the tower, knocking him to the ground. In the scene, he stands and runs into the distance. During a routine physical examination 11 years later, an X-ray revealed that Keaton had fractured his neck.[3]

Yikes.

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

The most recent example I can think of is the outright boycott of Ender's Game after Orson Scott Card ran his homophobic mouth.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!

quote:

The Passion of the Christ (2004). In playing the role of Jesus Christ, Jim Caviezel sustained gashes to his back from multiple whippings, hypothermia, and a separated shoulder from carrying a giant cross. He was also struck by lightning before filming the Sermon of the Mount scene.

Someone up there doesn't like him.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

OnlyLivingWitness posted:

The most recent example I can think of is the outright boycott of Ender's Game after Orson Scott Card ran his homophobic mouth.

Do you have any evidence this actually accounted for anything or are you just assuming because it was a flop.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

FishBulb posted:

Do you have any evidence this actually accounted for anything or are you just assuming because it was a flop.

Sirocco posted:

So this may seem a bit strange, but I'm looking for examples of things that have happened specifically during the production of a film that have lowered interest in it or given it bad publicity (as in bad publicity that really is bad).

OnlyLivingWitness
Dec 23, 2005

FishBulb posted:

I don't have any hard data, I just remember the internet shitstorm leading up to its release. I was thinking more in terms of it being a beloved property that salivating fans had been dying to see made who then refused to see it because of Card's statements. Whether it really affected the bottom line, I can't say, but it's notable in that the publicity alienated a large portion of the built-in fan base for reasons other than stupid arguments about canon and casting.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

This list is a fascinating mix of horrible, painful deaths and movie stars being mildly inconvenienced.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

quote:

The Eagle (2011). When filming in a freezing river, actors have a mixture of boiling hot water and river water poured down their suits to stay warm. A crew member forgot to mix the hot water with the river water during filming; as a result, Channing Tatum was scalded with boiling water that burned the skin off the tip of his penis.

To be fair that's more than an inconvenience....

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Krypt-OOO-Nite!! posted:

To be fair that's more than an inconvenience....

Feh, wussy pretty-boy actors these days. Back in the day, you could've burned Van Heflin's entire dick off and he'd give you another ten takes.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Most actors pre-code were eunuchs. It's just they way they made them back then.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

OnlyLivingWitness posted:

Similarly Mission: Impossible 3 was pretty good but it underperformed in part because Tom Cruise being bonkers was all over the news.

Gigli's box office implosion was more about public malaise over Bennifer than the movie's actual quality.

Ninja Gamer
Nov 3, 2004

Through howling winds and pouring rain, all evil shall fear The Hurricane!

Sirocco posted:

So this may seem a bit strange, but I'm looking for examples of things that have happened specifically during the production of a film that have lowered interest in it or given it bad publicity (as in bad publicity that really is bad).

In some cases, a disappointing script or rough cut of the film getting leaked can temper excitement. The first Wolverine film comes to mind.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Halle Berry is apparently the most accident prone actor ever, possibly tied with Bruce Willis.

Also like 10 people have died in the process of making terrible Chuck Norris action movies, amazing.

Zombie Tsunami
Jun 22, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

The one film that was really adversely affected by the closeness to 9/11 was Big Trouble, a Barry Sonnenfeld adaptation of Dave Barry's novel. It was supposed to come out that Friday, and the last act involved a bomb on an airplane, so it was pulled, re-edited somewhat, and eventually dumped out months later with little promotion or interest.

Perennial dorm poster movie Donnie Darko was released in October of 2001 and the whole plane crash as a plot point thing was not the best way to sell tickets at the time. They held back on its international release for awhile because of 9/11 and the film barely recouped its budget.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Gigli's box office implosion was more about public malaise over Bennifer than the movie's actual quality.

Its also perhaps one of the darkest/nonsensical set-ups for a romantic comedy and features kidnapping a retard who is obsessed with Baywatch, murder, needing to cut a kids finger off, and Jennifer Lopez playing a lesbian which sort of undermines the whole romance aspect. Why studio execs thought this was the 75 million dollar script through two incredibly hot movie stars into I will absolutely never know.

Like, its a real bad movie that completely misses the target audience.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Barudak posted:

Its also perhaps one of the darkest/nonsensical set-ups for a romantic comedy and features kidnapping a retard who is obsessed with Baywatch, murder, needing to cut a kids finger off, and Jennifer Lopez playing a lesbian which sort of undermines the whole romance aspect. Why studio execs thought this was the 75 million dollar script through two incredibly hot movie stars into I will absolutely never know.

The film's most romantic line is, "It's turkey time. Gobble gobble." Bennifer was at media saturation overload, but the quality of the movie was the capper.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Barudak posted:

That's what Gigli's actually about? I'm going to add it to my Netflix queue.

edit: It's on Netflix instant. Hooray.

JesseHechtCREATIVE
Feb 20, 2013

​ Creative New Content Weekly

Cuisine
Reviews
Entertainment
Animation
Toys
Images
Videogames
Everything!
I just watched "They Live!" and I remember seeing the scanner somewhere recently (the one like a black baton with flip-up wings on the sides and lights in a row traveling up) either on tv or in another movie. Any guesses? Thanks!

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Zorglorfian posted:

I just watched "They Live!" and I remember seeing the scanner somewhere recently (the one like a black baton with flip-up wings on the sides and lights in a row traveling up) either on tv or in another movie. Any guesses? Thanks!

I think it's a left over prop from Ghost Busters.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

I saw an actor today at LAX and am struggling to put a name to the face. He's older, olive maybe even ethnic, beginning to look a little like a turtle, might be a comedian, often plays the pot smoking older dad/uncle in television/movies. Please help me.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Cheech? Chong?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Its Miller Time posted:

...beginning to look a little like a turtle...

Alan Arkin maybe?

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)
Bruce Spielbauer?

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
Thanks again for the suggestions. Here are some screenshots of the game in case anyone was curious (this is just a fun project, I'm not selling it or anything).

Artfully hiding my awful stand-in MS paint image for the front. All the ratings, plot summaries, and tag lines were scraped from IMDB.

Decided to make a disaster flick with my tiny budget.

Film is ready to be released after some unsuccessful promoting and delays.

Apparently I suck at my own game. It didn't even last long enough for the film critics to tell me what they thought of it.

:saddowns:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This is the sort of game/project I absolutely love. Keep it up! I would like to play it...

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Which cut of Southland Tales should I see?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

None

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Sirocco posted:

It looks like you have found what you wanted but:

-Surely Tom Cruises crazy couch jumping/Scientology stuff derailed the box office performance of a couple of films.

-Ditto for Mel Gibson and his crazy drunk/racist period. Maybe Apocolypto?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

JebanyPedal posted:

Which cut of Southland Tales should I see?

The one on Netflix Instant was great.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF

Sheldrake posted:

I think it's a left over prop from Ghost Busters.

That prop was also used in Suburban Commando. Yeah, the Hulk Hogan movie.

Five Cent Deposit
Jun 5, 2005

Sestero did not write The Disaster Artist, it's not true! It's bullshit! He did not write it!
*throws water bottle*
He did nahhhhht.

Oh hi, Greg.

Sirocco posted:

Thanks again for the suggestions. Here are some screenshots of the game in case anyone was curious (this is just a fun project, I'm not selling it or anything).

Artfully hiding my awful stand-in MS paint image for the front. All the ratings, plot summaries, and tag lines were scraped from IMDB.

Decided to make a disaster flick with my tiny budget.

Film is ready to be released after some unsuccessful promoting and delays.

Apparently I suck at my own game. It didn't even last long enough for the film critics to tell me what they thought of it.

:saddowns:

There was a great old shareware game for Mac called Sim Cinema. You game looks extremely similar. I'm telling you this for two reasons:
1) I loving loved Sim Cinema and would kill to some day play it again, or play a spiritual successor.
2) You should probably try to find a copy of the game and check it out, if that's at all possible. You might be *too* similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
Yeah, this game is deliberately based on SimCinema Deluxe (I've even credited it as inspiration in the 'About' section). I played it a lot when I was wee and can't now because I don't have a Mac. So I thought I'd make my own version! I've fleshed out the game mechanics a lot, enough to make it more of a tribute than a rip-off I hope.

Some of the differences: your company has departments you can upgrade, there are actual generated reviews of the film, sometimes comparing it to old films (one of the reviewers told me they wished I'd cast Rupert Grint as the lead in my Action movie), and giving it a rating as well as a gross, lovely/unsuccessful movies hurt your company's reputation and that of the cast and crew. Actors will not want to work with you if your reputation's far below theirs or because of other things. You can also check out your company's statistics to see your average gross/rating, highs and lows, favoured genres, actors, etc.

Anyway, I'll stop cluttering up this thread with my game nonsense, since it's really not the place and I don't want to bother people. If anyone has any queries you can PM me.