Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They mention of course that the Red ranger is the leader type, but personality wise the Protagonist is blue since he's aloof.

Also Johnny Yong Bosch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

He clearly gets the red suit in Golden. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orgia Carnaval posted:

They mention of course that the Red ranger is the leader type, but personality wise the Protagonist is blue since he's aloof.

Also Johnny Yong Bosch

Johnny Yong Bosch was the black ranger.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Also Johnny Yong Bosch

JYB played the black ranger though, didn't he? A quick google search says that David Yost played the blue ranger.

e;fb

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ImpAtom posted:

More green than black, though. He was only the black ranger for the original set, but green for both Zeo and Turbo.

:shepface:

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The blue ranger will always be Billy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

And black ranger will always be Zack.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

PureRok posted:

The blue ranger will always be Billy.

He hasn't been the blue ranger for a while. Having to be gay in a homophobic workplace will do that to you.

Did stay the longest out of the original five, I think, or second longest.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, the joke was JYB was a Power Ranger, that's why I found it funny the first line in the art book was a reference to a power ranger for that character.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I bought the Persona 4 official design art book recently and lo and behold this is the first thing I see when I open the protagonist's section.

Yu/Kanji confirmed canon

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

ImpAtom posted:

Nah, you're dead on. DS2 gives you waaaay too much power way too early. It's not the end of the world but you're pretty trivially able to set up god builds quickly and it has less levels that require anything but pure power.

DS2's also easier because your characters get innate resistances, rather than having to equip them.

Fangz posted:

Which one is the blue ranger?

The Blue ranger's typically the smart one/second-in-command, oddly enough.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

DS2's also easier because your characters get innate resistances, rather than having to equip them.

The Blue ranger's typically the smart one/second-in-command, oddly enough.

Putting aside the smart comment, Yosuke fits this to a T. He's an absolutely fantastic "manager" to the team, keeping information compiled, organizing meetings, disseminating information, and he's always monitoring the Midnight Channel as well. It's kind of brilliant to consider that he's being groomed to run this Junes place and he doesn't seem particularly resentful of it--he's got a natural talent for managing stuff. He's just got fairly crappy people skills.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

It's kind of brilliant to consider that he's being groomed to run this Junes place and he doesn't seem particularly resentful of it--he's got a natural talent for managing stuff. He's just got fairly crappy people skills.

Perfect for Retail!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So here's some opening lines for the Protagonist, Yosuke, Chie, and Yukiko from Soejima as he wrote up all of the character descriptions and personal notes in the book it seems. If it's bolded, it's in a different colored font.

quote:

If the Protagonist was a Power Ranger, he'd be a blue ranger.

My own personal take on Yosuke's character is that he is not a particularly artistic soul, and any visualization produced by his limited imagination would be simplistic and cheap.

In some ways, Chie was the turning point that defined the overall design flavor of the entire game.

I knew that "the woman" Konohana Sakuya's design would have to revolve around things like a cheerleader, pompoms, sakura blossoms. and the color pink. (laughs)

Among those exists a lot of detail about stuff like Persona creations and how they reflect the character's taste, how he came to the decisions on certain character designs as well. The Protagonist's most worked on feature were his eyes in that half-glare look which was also incorporated into Izanagi. Izanagi was made with the thought of a making him very manly so they gave him the knife to show maturity, the cheerleading squad outfit and tengu geta like feet as well. Izanagi-No-Okami's business suit was also meant to reflect growing up, as we've all known for a while now.

Yosuke was actually called "Junpei" during development of the game despite the fact they had his name mapped out for him already. The decision to make Yosuke a pretty boy stemmed from them not wanting him to look like Junpei despite admitting they made him very similar to him. Jiraiya is where that opening quote for Yosuke actually refers to. Basically Yosuke would translate the idea of a "noble rogue" which is what Jiraiya was to a "hero" so he of course gets the kamen rider scarf and uniform, the idea of a ninja would turn to "camouflage" and Susano-o gets a wind turbine being the god of storms. Yosuke would think "This is the coolest superhero ever!" is basically the idea of them.

Chie was one of the most worked on characters, she actually ended up being one of the deciding the style for the game which is why there is so much yellow as it's a color that Soejima felt fits her and she represents the "identity of Persona 4". They felt a big part of her character was her love of cheap and retro things like the pins and the jersey was given to her to make the rural setting even more blatant. She was also created with the idea that she could be a "cute girl that actually exists in real life." Tomoe and Suzuka Gongen were made with the thought that Chie should have persona based in tough female mythological characters, Tomoe of course being the Bruce Lee reference since that's Chie's favorite actor and martial artist. There was a rule during development that Persona must wear something to cover their faces, so Tomoe and Suzuka Gongen were given the biker helmets. The change from the standard street biker helmet (Tomoe) to an off-road helmet also conveys going from paved roads to off-road bikers where you make your own road. Also Chie's weight says, "Muscle weights more than fat, just so you know." They wanted to express a lot of toughness with Chie and her Persona.

Yukiko by comparison was a lot more simple, being a rather traditional "Japanese beauty" kind of character. There's not really lot in-depth about her, Soejima mentions the hardest part of her design was her bangs and she was designed to be the opposite of Chie, a more unrealistic character that falls to stereotypes to define her, sorry Yukiko. Konohana Sakuya was the Persona that Soejima liked working on the most because he doesn't normally use cute colors and Amaterasu was made into a light being because he wanted to do right by the Goddess. Also he ended up giving Amaterasu and Yamato Takeru the Sword of Kusanagi because he wanted to remain true to their mythologies even though he felt a bit weird about having two of the same weapon for different personae.

I still haven't read through most of this as I'm reading it at the end of shifts, but there's some relatively surprising stuff that went into the designs I hadn't quite figure out myself.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
Just bought persona 4 golden... should I follow a guide for this or go in blind? Anything I should know before I start?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Just bought persona 4 golden... should I follow a guide for this or go in blind? Anything I should know before I start?

Go in blind. Just take hints from the game itself.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It'll be a lot more fun to not follow a guide. It's a game meant for multiple NG+ runs to get "everything".

The bog standard advice for the first time through would be stuff like:

-Do dungeons ASAP, don't just wait until the last minute. The only exception is the December dungeon which you want to finish on the 22nd.

-Focus on Party member S. Links, Hermit, Aeon, the story-based ones like Hierophant/Justice/Jester, and ones that boost social stats. My own brand of crazy would be conversely to simply go the opposite and ignore Death, Hanged Man, and Moon. That'll give you more free time than you know what to do with.

-You want to max out Aeon before you finish the December dungeon. Jester you only need to get to level 6 on your own, but you will be asked to meet with him at one point in the story to which you must say "yes".

-The first two dungeons are probably the hardest, as you have very little in the way of restoring SP. To alleviate this you can stock up on TaP Soda from one of the vending machines, level up Hermit as much as possible, and grind SP restoring items on low level floors. Eventually this will stop being a problem for a variety of reasons.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Look up a guide to the answers for the cooking/questions/tests sections but other then that just go with whatever feels right.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
You will probably not be able to complete the Tower S-link or even activate it on your first playthrough. Try to do the Hanged Man one because it's pretty great. Talk to Nanako every day.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

BottledBodhisvata posted:

You will probably not be able to complete the Tower S-link or even activate it on your first playthrough. Try to do the Hanged Man one because it's pretty great. Talk to Nanako every day.
Why not? It shouldn't be that hard to get 5 Understanding. I usually wind up there around October. Just work on Temperance and eat beef bowls on rainy days and you'd hit it easily.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

The biggest obstacle to completing the Tower S-link is the fact that no cares about Shu and his problems.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I've been meaning to ask this, but is there anything in the entire game that requires maxed Diligence? All the other ones are needed for Social Links at least.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shu's an okay kid, I just don't really want to tutor him.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You do what you need to for that sweet, sweet Hassou Tobi.

MrAristocrates posted:

I've been meaning to ask this, but is there anything in the entire game that requires maxed Diligence? All the other ones are needed for Social Links at least.
Not that I'm aware of. You just get more fishing attempts. It's why you can effectively abandon working on it (such as working on the Strength S. Link) once it hits level 3.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Orgia Carnaval posted:

Shu's an okay kid, I just don't really want to tutor him.

His S-link is really the game going from charming to schmaltzy. It's one of the few moments where the positive energy and charm of the cast just feels really cheesy, like an after school special but without the drug abuse.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Man, money is way harder to come by in the first SMT. I feel like the only grinding I'm doing is to buy new equipment. And I just got back my Law and Chaos heroes after a couple hours so they're way behind my MC.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cake Attack posted:

The biggest obstacle to completing the Tower S-link is the fact that no cares about Shu and his problems.

Which is more then made up for due to just how broken some of the Tower persona are.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I always forget Shu exists. If the guide didn't tell me to do it I'd probably go by wondering where the hell the Tower S-link was.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Cake Attack posted:

I care about Shu and his problems.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Some thoughts:

-Don't use a guide to try to get 100% on your first run. That's a guaranteed way of draining the fun from the game.
-The game is pretty easy really, all party members are viable
-Expression is fairly important, Sun social link is a reasonable way of gaining it. Courage is also fairly important, janitor work raises it. Academics is fairly easy to raise without really trying through a bunch of events. Understanding and diligence is less important, though you need a little diligence early on to unlock janitor.

Shu's social link is okay until your party members get involved. Then it gets smaltzy, because I can't really see why your party would care - or even know about this person.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

PureRok posted:

I always forget Shu exists. If the guide didn't tell me to do it I'd probably go by wondering where the hell the Tower S-link was.

I found Shu no problem. It was the Hanged Man kid who I never found until like late October, and have still never bothered with him.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

To this day I still have no idea how to start kanji's link

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Saagonsa posted:

To this day I still have no idea how to start kanji's link

Go talk to one of the NPCs on the second floor of the school building and they'll be like "Yo hey This is information about Kanji" and the game will be like ">You are suddenly aware that you should hang with your bro Kanji..." and then you can hang with Kanji.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It really is stupid and obscure, especially because I used Kanji since I first got him in my first playthrough. I actually missed my chance to start it in the Spring, so I had to wait until Fall to start it and I had to grind it like crazy. I managed to get him to 9, so he ended up kind of being the weak link in my party.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 11, 2014

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think you can only start it between the 8th of June and summer break, too.

e: okay never mind

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
I'm getting fed up with trying to fish up the Guardian. I know the tell if it's it or not, but can't hook it at all. Stupid fishing :argh:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Have you read Expert Fishing? You need that to catch him.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Man Shu was a brat, but he was a brat that was so damned easy to identify with

He was a dick and the social link got waayyy too cheesy near the end, but the entire "Your self worth depends on how well you do in school" and "Friends? Hobbies? WORTHLESS THING THAT DISTRACT YOU FROM SCHOOL" things hit incredibly close to home for me and I'd imagine also for the Japanese schoolkids the Persona series has as their main audience. Hell, even the mom reminded me of my own.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Really Pants posted:

Have you read Expert Fishing? You need that to catch him.

Nope. I thought you only needed the upgraded fishing set from the old man and it had to be raining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Man Shu was a brat, but he was a brat that was so damned easy to identify with

He was a dick and the social link got waayyy too cheesy near the end, but the entire "Your self worth depends on how well you do in school" and "Friends? Hobbies? WORTHLESS THING THAT DISTRACT YOU FROM SCHOOL" things hit incredibly close to home for me and I'd imagine also for the Japanese schoolkids the Persona series has as their main audience. Hell, even the mom reminded me of my own.

It's things like this that make me wonder just how topical and relevant the stories in these latest Persona games have been. A lot of SMT games are pretty understandable in any cultural context--end of the world and so on. The Persona games tend to focus on daily life sort of events, which could open up a lot of social commentary possibilities...but as somebody who doesn't live in said society, it's hard to pick up sometimes on what's supposed to be a critique or satire or comment on current events.