Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Speaking of the converter, I've played one converted game once and was wondering if it'd be possible for converted games not to strip all claims from provinces automagically.
Or maybe it could check for the culture of the province owned and if it is not the same, at least let the tag for the cultural union or the tag most closely approximating whatever de-jure kingdom the territory was in to still be present so that there's a chance for some ethnic revolts?
I think as it is now all claims are stripped from all provinces so that I guess a converted, multi-ethnic nation doesn't immediately collapse into violent rebellion, but the stripping of every claim makes the politics very, very stable.

E:

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

It works, it's just a bit buggy. Also there's no religion icon for Jainism, which was a pain when the Mongols became jain and converted everything up to Poland.
Didn't that get fixed in the beta patch with the new launcher just now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
As Norse is there any advantage to sticking with Norse culture when the break up starts, or should I switch to the hip new Swedish culture all the cool people are doing? They all have the same cultural retinues/buildings so I know I don't lose anything there, but are there any other things Norse culture gets that's unique to them?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Cheshire Cat posted:

As Norse is there any advantage to sticking with Norse culture when the break up starts, or should I switch to the hip new Swedish culture all the cool people are doing? They all have the same cultural retinues/buildings so I know I don't lose anything there, but are there any other things Norse culture gets that's unique to them?

No, the only disadvantage of going Swedish is that you get a small foreigner opinion penalty with other Norse (and Danish and Norwegian) characters. If you are the emperor of Scandinavia, then you deciding to stay Norse will prevent the breakup of your realm's culture along the Swedish-Danish-Norwegian line. In that case, you shouldn't switch.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, how do I vassalize the Moabadan-Moabad? I gave him the holy site in Fars for the MA boost, then asked him to become my vassal, and he wouldn't accept because I wasn't his de jure liege, even though the thing was in my dang capital (in HIP there is a very good reason for a Zoroastrian to have a non-Baghdad/Khiva capital). Reloaded afterward because something weird happened when the Immortals tried to appear in a province I didn't yet own so they didn't have a holding there at all, despite their leader claiming to be there. Thinking of giving him the entirety of Sistan instead after I own it and am satrap of the satrapy it's in; him being count-level instead of only having a single barony might make a difference, but if not, what do I do?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

God, I hate this game sometimes. I've just finished forming Tartaria when I get two adventurers, both from the same OPM in Samarkand. So I tool over there with my 5k retinue, which is more than enough to crush it and capture them both. HURRRRR, Shah Dariush the Herpyderpy decides to declare war on the province too. I capture one of the adventurers in battle, and he goes to the loving Shah's dungeon instead of mine. Shah Cuntyface sneaks into the province with 1k men just before I arrive and becomes siege leader, so I can't speed up the process by assaulting even though I have five times the troops and although I win the sieges and control the holdings, he gets the province. Two months later, 30,000 cunts appear on my doorstep.

Total bullshit. Quit and go looking for the autosave, and this time I'm going to raise 9k in levies and smash Shah Shitbag the Syphilitic as well.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, having played around a fair bit with HIP, my feelings on it are... Mixed. On the one hand, it adds a lot of neat stuff, like the traits, and puts in some things that are meant to keep you from just picking up the game and running away with it from the start, which is good. However, a lot of it is extremely unpolished (typos everywhere, images being the wrong size, things firing off when they shouldn't), the face mod is pure negative as I either can't tell what's different or the person looks like a Picasso painting come to life, and a lot of the "balance" changes are really just annoying and instead of making the game more challenging just make it less fun. Also a few of the mods have different ideas about things, like the Zoroastrian mod not being aware that another mod greatly increased the size of the Persian Empire in its requirements for things.

How hard is it to mod this game? I'm tempted to go through HIP's contents and tweak some parts (and just rip out others), but if it'll be more hassle than it's worth I'm probably just going to go back to vanilla for now. Maybe do a round or two with the GoT mod, see if I can put Renly, Oberyn, or Tyrion on the Iron Throne.

Edit: Oh, hey. Actually there was an update yesterday that made the Cultures and Portraits Revamp a separate module rather than part of VIET, so you can just turn it off. Also some other bug fixes and balance changes. Will try a game or two with that before I decide to drop HIP altogether then.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 11, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

My norse guy had 3 daughters and then a genius son. Hell yeah. Then at 12 he drops dead of smallpox. No big deal, my wife isn't that old and I'll load up 3 concubines to hedge my bets. Set my ambition to "have a son". 7 more daughters. :argh: No big deal, I reformed the faith and now I've got elective succession, and a huge dynasty, I can find someone nice. When my guy is 74 years old, he's already outlived 3 designated heirs and 2 wives, my dukes decide to get frisky and several nominate a duke not in my dynasty. :what:

Meanwhile someone in my dynasty wins the republic election, and promptly starts revoking all the titles under him. What? Oh, he's somehow become a different religion. I guess he's firing all the good norsemen so he can replace them with infidels. Fffff. I guess I'll have to assassinate him or something, because I can't revoke his title without disbanding the republic.

Okay, you want to play? Lets play. I'm 74 years old, I don't give a gently caress. I revoke all the duke titles except my chosen successor and pet republic. This incurs a wee bit of tyranny, but nobody refuses. Now they start having factions and poo poo. A few decide to try to push "lower crown authority". Before the rest can start firing off "lord chucklfuck for Norway" or whatever, I revoke the all the count titles. This increases my personal levys tremendously, unfortunately I also go broke and have to banish a few people. Why not? There are still 2 dukes and 2 rebelling counts. 54 very angry barons/mayors/godbotherers vassels. My demesne is now 44/6.

Come on you pussies, just assassinate me already!

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Going completely batshit and becoming the biggest tyrant possible is the best way to play a ruler that's about to die, not only do you get to (hopefully) die soon, but when your new heir hits there's fewer people to get mad at him, and you can hand-pick your vassals! It's win-win!

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Am I crazy or did the game used to have a "convert to local culture" decision at one point?

I was planning to take Hastein of Nantes, grab up Wales, switch to Welsh to get Tanistry succession and then take over Britain while still Norse. Guess that wasn't going to happen.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Novolin posted:

Going completely batshit and becoming the biggest tyrant possible is the best way to play a ruler that's about to die, not only do you get to (hopefully) die soon, but when your new heir hits there's fewer people to get mad at him, and you can hand-pick your vassals! It's win-win!

Yeah but I'm always wary of doing it after the time I did it as a 72 year old and after incurring assloads of tyranny imprisoning and banishing all of my vassals I finally reached the very last duke in my realm and failed to imprison him.

My king, who was a brilliant strategist, lead my army to crush the duke's tiny force and immediately took an axe to the head and went into a coma. I thought that was great, it'll just make him die faster.

He spent 26 years in that coma. 14 years in his quick son caught pneumonia and died.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

MrBling posted:

Am I crazy or did the game used to have a "convert to local culture" decision at one point?

I was planning to take Hastein of Nantes, grab up Wales, switch to Welsh to get Tanistry succession and then take over Britain while still Norse. Guess that wasn't going to happen.

Only for the culture of your capital.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, how do I rip out the part of Project Balance that makes all the eastern CoAs random? It's ugly and annoying and the reason for it is really, really stupid.

Edit: Never mind, found it. Was just changing a single "no" to "yes".

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 20:57 on May 11, 2014

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

DStecks posted:

Only for the culture of your capital.

I moved my capital to Wales first thing after capturing a county. Still nothing. Do you need to be duke-level or above?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

MrBling posted:

I moved my capital to Wales first thing after capturing a county. Still nothing. Do you need to be duke-level or above?

The decision is actually "convert to liege's culture", not local culture.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

There is an event to change your culture to the local one, but it can take a long while to fire, it isn't a decision in your intrigue menu like the convert to liege's culture decision.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Disco Infiva posted:

The decision is actually "convert to liege's culture", not local culture.

I'm sure I've seen the other at one point, though since it's not there I'm sure I'm just crazy or misremembering things.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths

MrBling posted:

I'm sure I've seen the other at one point, though since it's not there I'm sure I'm just crazy or misremembering things.

It's for sure in the HIP.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

MrBling posted:

Could be from a mod :shrug:

Like marktheando said, there is only an event that can fire if your capitol county has a different culture than yours, but it's somewhat rare.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

MrBling posted:

I haven't played in since the beta patch came out, but it is in vanilla CK2 as well. Convert to local culture, i.e. the culture of your capital. Are you sure your capital's culture is different than your ruler's?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

MrBling posted:

Do you have Rajas of India?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

DStecks posted:

Do you have Rajas of India?

I do not.

Literally what I did was declare a county conquest on Gwynedd, pack up Hastein and his event troops+levies, sail over and take the county. Then switch my capital to Gwynedd. Norse ruler in Welsh lands.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cock hero flux posted:

Yeah but I'm always wary of doing it after the time I did it as a 72 year old and after incurring assloads of tyranny imprisoning and banishing all of my vassals I finally reached the very last duke in my realm and failed to imprison him.

My king, who was a brilliant strategist, lead my army to crush the duke's tiny force and immediately took an axe to the head and went into a coma. I thought that was great, it'll just make him die faster.

He spent 26 years in that coma. 14 years in his quick son caught pneumonia and died.

That, I think, is what makes the game so fun and interesting. You just don't know what the gently caress sometimes and, as they say, the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry. Like when I had a 23 year old genius king with a 27 Martial skill. I think "gently caress yeah, warpath time!" The instant he got into his first battle he got a head wound and became retarded and died of pneumonia within a year. The only possible heir was his one year old daughter, which led to a failure cascade of epic proportions as several neighbors immediately declared war, some claims got pressed on me, and every duke loving loathed her.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 21:47 on May 11, 2014

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

MrBling posted:

I do not.

Rajahs is required to turn that event into a decision.

You could start over, pledge to gwynnedd, convert culture, then start an independence faction though.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Okay, after digging through the modding files to change the random Zoroastrian CoAs, I decided to start looking through other ones. Made it so Zoroastrians rebuild Persepolis in Shiraz rather than Fars, as while Persepolis it technically in the Fars Province, what would be Fars in-game is split into Fars and Shiraz, with Persepolis' location falling within the latter. Which is also probably why there's a mosque there called "Persepolis"; anyone have name suggestions for renaming that so you don't have two Persepolises there? (Also how would I do that in the first place, haven't quite found that out yet.) Also removed a few things which were arbitrarily (as far as I could tell) male-only. Gonna see what else I can mess with that's been bugging me; this is pretty fun.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

mornhaven posted:

How did you get the Sunset Invasion decision?

It's a mod. :)

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Do I correctly remember that the base game was recently adjusted to make spouses count as close relatives? Or was that a mod?

I ask because it looks like spouses aren't getting attraction opinion modifiers in my current game of HIP, and being considered close relatives sounds like a very plausible explanation for that.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Is that why the Pope seems to always consider my divorces consanguinity?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh so if I imprison my son for trying to have me assassinated, then sacrifice him at a blot, I'M the one that gets the kinslayer trait? Where's the justice in this world?! :unsmigghh:

A week later the 'I miss my dead viking son' even fires. :smith:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Freudian posted:

Probably that too, yeah. Bit of an oversight, there.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Freudian posted:

No, that is intended.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

SynthOrange posted:

Oh so if I imprison my son for trying to have me assassinated, then sacrifice him at a blot, I'M the one that gets the kinslayer trait? Where's the justice in this world?! :unsmigghh:

A week later the 'I miss my dead viking son' even fires. :smith:

This post contains the very essense of CK2, I love it. It's got all the staple emotions of a good game right there :v:

Also, speaking of the Norse, have they been fixed yet? Since I heard here that they became a bit broken as of the RoI update, and I'm weighing up having either a Norse game (or a Finnish game possibly, if only the Norse are broken) or an Italian one.

EDIT: vvv OK that needs to be the thread title

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 12, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So I caught my wife sleeping with some other dude, our opinions fall dramatically, and then she gets pregnant (possibly mine?) and I name the daughter 'gently caress You Ursula' after my wife. Turns out that God is not a fan of vindictive names and decides to tell me so. With leprosy.

What makes the AI decide to follow names? What are the chances that in a hundred years there'll be a bunch of 'gently caress You Ursula's running around?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Man, getting syphilis as a female ruler is loving harsh. -30 attraction opinion for like 90% of my vassals is a killer.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Kainser posted:

No, that is intended.
He's talking about a different thing, which I've noticed. It's not just that the Pope's acceptance mentions consanginuity - if you request a divorce, hover over the chance to accept, and you should notice a big "++++++++ consanginuity" which I'm almost certain wasn't there until recently.

edit: Actually, I guess I can't be sure that that is, in fact, what's he's talking about. But it is a thing that's happening.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 12, 2014

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

catlord posted:

What makes the AI decide to follow names? What are the chances that in a hundred years there'll be a bunch of 'gently caress You Ursula's running around?

Culture, mainly. Some cultures are more likely to name their kids after ancestors than others. From the culture file for example:
code:
For Norse
# Chance of male children being named after their paternal or maternal grandfather, or their father. Sum must not exceed 100.
		pat_grf_name_chance = 50
		mat_grf_name_chance = 0
		father_name_chance = 0

# Chance of female children being named after their paternal or maternal grandmother, or their mother. Sum must not exceed 100.
		pat_grm_name_chance = 10
		mat_grm_name_chance = 50
		mother_name_chance = 0

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
Is there a decent mod that adds Satanism or something similar as a religion? I got the demon babby chain about 3 years into a Hungary game and I want to carve out an earthly realm for the Lord of Flies while listening to the theme from The Omen on repeat, but being forced by Satan to convert to Waldensianism or some hippy Christian sect just doesn't feel right.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there no way that I can help out my vassal if one of his vassals is revolting? I just installed a dude on the throne of Hungary and immediately a bunch of Hungarian dukes rose up against him. It seems kinda dumb that I just went to war to give the guy the kingdom, but now I can't prevent the local nobility from taking it back from him.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Bold Robot posted:

Is there no way that I can help out my vassal if one of his vassals is revolting? I just installed a dude on the throne of Hungary and immediately a bunch of Hungarian dukes rose up against him. It seems kinda dumb that I just went to war to give the guy the kingdom, but now I can't prevent the local nobility from taking it back from him.

No, since he is a vassal. On the other hand, even if the other dukes win to put some other claimant on the throne, that person will still be your vassal.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

monster on a stick posted:

No, since he is a vassal. On the other hand, even if the other dukes win to put some other claimant on the throne, that person will still be your vassal.

Yeah, it's not huge, but I had the title claimant married matrilineally to some relative of mine so it would be my dynasty on the throne once they have a kid. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

beefart posted:

Is there a decent mod that adds Satanism or something similar as a religion? I got the demon babby chain about 3 years into a Hungary game and I want to carve out an earthly realm for the Lord of Flies while listening to the theme from The Omen on repeat, but being forced by Satan to convert to Waldensianism or some hippy Christian sect just doesn't feel right.

Catholicism.

Zing!

• Locked thread