Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

Bloody posted:

heres a question: why should i ever give a single gently caress about functional programming and/or how is it relevant to things i give a single gently caress aobut

why fp is important: mutation or in-place update is an optimisation for code, for memory and time efficiency, but it's actually harder to do well, not throwing away old data can make it easier to debug, test, and write. even shaggar should know this if they've done any amount of database janitoring and stored procedures. (hey, isn't it recommended in java to defensive copy return values to stop things outside of objects mutating their values and attributes)

unfortunately most fp languages have decided that fp is too easy and so have found incredibly convoluted ways in which to do it. meanwhile, objects were envisioned as separate entities communicating with messages, but in reality objects are frequently used so each procedure can have a different and unique selection of globals attached to it. "how do we pass a bunch of globals around? objects!"

one of the best examples of what an "OO" system should actually look like: a number of separate objects (processes), communicating with message passing, encapsulating functionality of a larger program. hey, it's erlang, look a functional programming language is more OO than the so called object ones. anyway, the problem with saying "functional programming" is that it's about as well defined as OO. it isn't so much FP vs OO, but things like: stateless vs stateful code. compile time type checking vs runtime type checking. early vs late dispatch. declarative code vs imperative code. abstract data types vs methods. nominative vs structural typing.

and FP and OO are changing definitions all the time as languages grow and develop, and they're stealing from each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

tef posted:

why fp is important: mutation or in-place update is an optimisation for code, for memory and time efficiency, but it's actually harder to do well, not throwing away old data can make it easier to debug, test, and write. even shaggar should know this if they've done any amount of database janitoring and stored procedures. (hey, isn't it recommended in java to defensive copy return values to stop things outside of objects mutating their values and attributes)

unfortunately most fp languages have decided that fp is too easy and so have found incredibly convoluted ways in which to do it. meanwhile, objects were envisioned as separate entities communicating with messages, but in reality objects are frequently used so each procedure can have a different and unique selection of globals attached to it. "how do we pass a bunch of globals around? objects!"

one of the best examples of what an "OO" system should actually look like: a number of separate objects (processes), communicating with message passing, encapsulating functionality of a larger program. hey, it's erlang, look a functional programming language is more OO than the so called object ones. anyway, the problem with saying "functional programming" is that it's about as well defined as OO. it isn't so much FP vs OO, but things like: stateless vs stateful code. compile time type checking vs runtime type checking. early vs late dispatch. declarative code vs imperative code. abstract data types vs methods. nominative vs structural typing.

and FP and OO are changing definitions all the time as languages grow and develop, and they're stealing from each other.

sounds like something someone in marketing would say

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

raruler posted:

Sung to the tune of "The Flintstones"
Firmware
Open Firmware
It's the appropriate technology,
Features
FCode booting
Hierarchical DevInfo tree.

Hack Forth
Using Emacs on the keys,
Save in
NVRAM if you please.
With your
Open Firmware
You can fix the bugs in no time
Bring the kernel up in no time
We'll have an FCode time!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

tef posted:

the ironing is that i structure a lot of my modules as housings for independent functions ex: this thing takes in some html and spits out pdf. it has its own internal state for the conversion process and objects help me manage what bits im transforming, but its completely independent of the process calling it. I then stick these out as webservices and blammo lazy scalability

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
alright so web dev exam is tomorrow and if i get anything less than A this is going to be embarasing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-sgrBM004sKVG9CSjB3NXlnOTQ/edit

heres last years paper if anyone is interested

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
> What is a Web Application Framework?

> What are the main benefits of using a Web Application Framework? (List two)

> Draw and label a brokered system architecture.

> What is the Box Model in CSS? Draw and label the Box Model.

> What is AJAX? What purpose does it serve?

> Draw the AJAX Client/Server Asynchronous Communication Model.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
a software development test without the need to write code

how innovative

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MeruFM posted:

a software development test without the need to write code

how innovative

quote:

(e) Given these views, describe how you will map URLs to views. Do this either by

writing some example generic URL strings and how they map to the views or write

the python code that would appear in urlpatterns.

code is optional :cool:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
i'm the degree of master of arts (social sciences)

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Soricidus posted:

valeyard's uni is twice as old as your country

(the anicent british unis all award MAs for what most places award BSs)

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 11, 2014

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Soricidus posted:

lollin at this

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

summer diet

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Shaggar posted:

the ironing is that i structure a lot of my modules as housings for independent functions ex: this thing takes in some html and spits out pdf. it has its own internal state for the conversion process and objects help me manage what bits im transforming, but its completely independent of the process calling it. I then stick these out as webservices and blammo lazy scalability

this is basically how i think of high-level objects. i'm building a machine that does something, and i want that machine to hide all the gory bits inside and present a clean interface to the rest of my app. then my app is really just some glue code that sets up the machines in a relevant way for what i'm trying to do.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

if that is distributed information management 3, I don't want to see digital distribution management 1 and 2

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

sounds like functional is navel gazing and not actually useful because everything i touch is stateful as gently caress so

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
everything can be stateless if you think hard enough

the big bang was just a function

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

yeah let me just build a stateless state machine idiot!!!

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Bloody posted:

sounds like functional is navel gazing and not actually useful because everything i touch is stateful as gently caress so

nah, there are projects that are too big to fit in your skull

i like fp because i'm dumb, and its helps simplify

plus gently caress using threads directly to do concurrency

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Brain Candy posted:

nah, there are projects that are too big to fit in your skull

i like fp because i'm dumb, and its helps simplify

plus gently caress using threads directly to do concurrency

threads own

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

coffeetable posted:

valeyard's uni is twice as old as your country
actually valeyard's uni is in my country, thanks for playing though

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Soricidus posted:

welp

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

your country is either 0 years old or infinity years old

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
technically you're still right though, the uk didn't exist as a single country before like 1700 i think

and it probably won't any more soon, thanks obama salmond

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

pi calculus is a much better model of computation than lambda calculus, but it looks like code rather than monoids in the category of endofunctors on a topos so academics ignore it

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Zombywuf posted:

pi calculus is a much better model of computation than lambda calculus, but it looks like code rather than monoids in the category of endofunctors on a topos so academics ignore it

i love tapas!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

functional programming is a lot easier than oo

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
exam was pretty much identical although I couldnt think of two reasons why you would prefer XML over json for data delivery, and I didnt know what design pattern jquery is based on

In other news, my university dropped from 4th to 10th in the rankings of CS course in the UK, which is still too high

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Valeyard posted:

exam was pretty much identical although I couldnt think of two reasons why you would prefer XML over json for data delivery, and I didnt know what design pattern jquery is based on

In other news, my university dropped from 4th to 10th in the rankings of CS course in the UK, which is still too high

lol

* schemas
* integers

idk if anyone cares what pattern query is built on

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

lol

* schemas
* integers

mm part h of that paper is dumb i mean does it want the entire osi model

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Malcolm XML posted:

lol

* schemas
* integers

oops yeah schemes that makes sense

Malcolm XML posted:

mm part h of that paper is dumb i mean does it want the entire osi model

I think it was something more like this,

although that it still incomplete - actually its missing a lot, i didnt do that lol. we got one of those questions today too

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Zombywuf posted:

as somebody in academia in this field, you're wrong hth

pi calc is on the up-and-up and fp people like it because it gives stuff like statically verified dead-lock free message passing

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Malcolm XML posted:

lol

* schemas
* integers

character sets. stream parsers (SAX/StAX)

XML is stringly typed so i dunno about integers. you could just as well put an int inside a JSON string and parse it on the receiving end, although XML has better tooling for this.

---

jquery is built on the god object pattern ofc

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

AlsoD posted:

as somebody in academia in this field, you're wrong hth

pi calc is on the up-and-up and fp people like it because it gives stuff like statically verified dead-lock free message passing

Pretty much everything I've seen in this area seems to be pretty niche, yet there seems to be a never ending deluge of papers exploring the curry-howard isomorphism. Have there been any developments on Igarashi and Kobayashi's generic type system for pi calculus recently?

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Zombywuf posted:

there seems to be a never ending deluge of papers exploring the curry-howard isomorphism.

that's because it's loving amazing

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

character sets. stream parsers (SAX/StAX)

XML is stringly typed so i dunno about integers. you could just as well put an int inside a JSON string and parse it on the receiving end, although XML has better tooling for this.

---

jquery is built on the god object pattern ofc

iirc theres a streaming json lib somewhere

this poo poo seems to have been written years ago and is totally out of date.

xhtml is dead (rip)

sgtreaming json exists

yeah i guess u could string up integers. maybe something like xslt? literally everything in xml has been recreated for json where it makes sense, except poorly

i miss proper schemas.

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Made a thing with xml schemas once, it even validated its own output before returning, the guy who wrote the code at the receiving end wrote some VB that did a bunch of search and replaces over it (yeah, O(n*m)) to mangle it into a slightly different format before processing it.

The day I discovered that was happening may be the day all hope died in me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Malcolm XML posted:

iirc theres a streaming json lib somewhere

this poo poo seems to have been written years ago and is totally out of date.

xhtml is dead (rip)

sgtreaming json exists

yeah i guess u could string up integers. maybe something like xslt? literally everything in xml has been recreated for json where it makes sense, except poorly

i miss proper schemas.

json is bad on purpose cause any attempt to make it good would offend its primary users

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zombywuf posted:

Made a thing with xml schemas once, it even validated its own output before returning, the guy who wrote the code at the receiving end wrote some VB that did a bunch of search and replaces over it (yeah, O(n*m)) to mangle it into a slightly different format before processing it.

The day I discovered that was happening may be the day all hope died in me.

how does this make you feel

Valeyard posted:

pictured: me creating alrge amount of xml using java

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
errr wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Valeyard posted: