Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Age of Rebellion is on the boat :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

Age of Rebellion is on the boat :toot:

Huzzah! I was really worried we were gonna have that huuuuge wait between the beginner box and the core book like with EotE.

Speaking of, should be get a thread title change soon to reflect the second book?

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
What edge of the empire career/spec would you pick for a Clint Eastwood-style gunfighter? Quick Draw, Rapid Reaction and Side Step are all pretty good talents in the Smuggler/Scoundrel tree, but I don't see anything else in the whole smuggler career that screams 'gunfighter' to me. Hired Guns all have Ranged(Light), and there's certainly some good stuff in the Mercenary Soldier (True Aim :swoon:)/Marauder/Bodyguard trees. The bounty hunter career has Gadgeteer (which has Ranged(Light) for handguns and Coercion for gruffness) and can buff the heck out of your weapon/armor with is great for your effectiveness, and assassin's got some nice talents for sneakiness, quickdraw and shooting people who go after you in initiative.

Anyone got some tips?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bedurndurn posted:

What edge of the empire career/spec would you pick for a Clint Eastwood-style gunfighter? Quick Draw, Rapid Reaction and Side Step are all pretty good talents in the Smuggler/Scoundrel tree, but I don't see anything else in the whole smuggler career that screams 'gunfighter' to me. Hired Guns all have Ranged(Light), and there's certainly some good stuff in the Mercenary Soldier (True Aim :swoon:)/Marauder/Bodyguard trees. The bounty hunter career has Gadgeteer (which has Ranged(Light) for handguns and Coercion for gruffness) and can buff the heck out of your weapon/armor with is great for your effectiveness, and assassin's got some nice talents for sneakiness, quickdraw and shooting people who go after you in initiative.

Anyone got some tips?

Clearly you should wait for the Marshall.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Clearly you should wait for the Marshall.

I would like to, but my game starts this evening. I am kind of surprised that Marshall didn't end up in the Bounty Hunter career, since that would seem like the natural fit for someone out to pursue them a space desperado.

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 9, 2014

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Swagger Dagger posted:

"building your own homestead" sweet, home base building rules are always one of my favorite add-on systems for a given RPG.

I'm super into that too, my favorite game of D&D ended up with us taking over a town and just trying to build up the place and make it not suck while we murdered Orcs and all. I'm so getting that.

So so far EotE has Chiss, has a fluid system that doesn't involve Jedi loving things up, and now will come with Space Oregon Trail Mode, this is my dream Star Wars game.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
Colonist was literally the book I was hoping would be next. Interesting mix of announced specializations. I'm interested in seeing how the Marshall turns out - I expected a frontier lawman specialization would turn up in the Bounty Hunter book, honestly.

While I'm here, I'm getting set to run my first SW:EoE session soon, and I'm a bit unclear on some elements of initiative and actions during combat.

So, everyone rolls initiative (including NPCS), but it just sets up a floating PC/NPC slot that anyone can jump into as needed?

And when you go on your turn can you do maneuver+action or two maneuvers? Am I reading this right?

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

ScottyBomb posted:

So, everyone rolls initiative (including NPCS), but it just sets up a floating PC/NPC slot that anyone can jump into as needed?
Yes.

quote:

And when you go on your turn can you do maneuver+action or two maneuvers? Am I reading this right?

You can do maneuver+action, or you can spend strain (or use some other method) to do maneuver+maneuver+action.

At least that's what I've been doing.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I wonder what sorts of specs Bounty Hunters will have.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

So my players had to fight a Gundark today. To use ranges more tactically than "you are either engaged or close," which has been my default setting, I did this:

So the players could determine where they were in relation to the gundark. To make the gundark "move" I simply slid the paper one spot up or down (all the player's papers were off to the side when I did this).

Thoughts?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Clever.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Tharizdun posted:

So my players had to fight a Gundark today. To use ranges more tactically than "you are either engaged or close," which has been my default setting, I did this:

So the players could determine where they were in relation to the gundark. To make the gundark "move" I simply slid the paper one spot up or down (all the player's papers were off to the side when I did this).

Thoughts?

This is really cool and works great when you have one enemy to fight. It was very cleverly employed in this scenario. We made the mistake of trying to do something like this for a while, only with multiple combatants, and there are a lot of stupid relativistic bullshit things that happen with it as a result. In summary: great for what you did, don't use the same method for multiple combatants or weird things happen.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mendrian posted:

This is really cool and works great when you have one enemy to fight. It was very cleverly employed in this scenario. We made the mistake of trying to do something like this for a while, only with multiple combatants, and there are a lot of stupid relativistic bullshit things that happen with it as a result. In summary: great for what you did, don't use the same method for multiple combatants or weird things happen.

I will note, this is also by FAR the best way to handle starship combat, setting the "Gundark" spot to the player's ship.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I have a guy that wants to play a 'genetic assassin' in this game. Basically, he started out as a Doctor and now he just took Assassin but he wants to be the kind of guy that makes special genetic poisons to kill people with that effect only the person/species of his choice. I'm kind of cool with this, but I don't quite know how to do it. Should I just take out all the gun-based stuff from the Assassin tree and add in other stuff?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Swags posted:

I have a guy that wants to play a 'genetic assassin' in this game. Basically, he started out as a Doctor and now he just took Assassin but he wants to be the kind of guy that makes special genetic poisons to kill people with that effect only the person/species of his choice. I'm kind of cool with this, but I don't quite know how to do it. Should I just take out all the gun-based stuff from the Assassin tree and add in other stuff?

Have him take the Infiltrator tree from AoR... would have some useful talents.

Also, FoxDIE.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.
I mentioned awhile ago I was messing around with ship deckplans, I finally started putting the finishing touches on a couple.

Modified CEC YZ-900 Transport

Modified CEC CSS-1 Cruiser

they still need legends to help with room identification, but I tried to keep things pretty self explanatory. scale is slightly different between the two (36px vs 35px), but they're internally consistent (the ARC-170 and ETA-2 are appropriately sized)

edit: WIP Nebula-class Star Destroyer

treeboy fucked around with this message at 13:29 on May 14, 2014

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
So I'm thinking of making some handy dandy lists so just for a quick reference. I encountered a few problems where the PCs figured out something I didn't ahead of me and I stumbled along trying to help them out, so I think these would help:

1) Planets. Organized by location (Core, Colonies, Mid, Outer, Unknown) and then by type (Settled/Non, Arboreal, Aquatic, Barren, Ecumenopolis, etc).
2) Races. First by human/near/non, then by position in the galaxy.
3) Ship types. It's annoying trying to come up with them on the fly. Having lists of freighters, star fighters, etc., sounds better.
4) Flora and Fauna. This might go with the planets, but I don't want any one list to be too huge.

This is a good idea or just useless planning?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Swags posted:

So I'm thinking of making some handy dandy lists so just for a quick reference. I encountered a few problems where the PCs figured out something I didn't ahead of me and I stumbled along trying to help them out, so I think these would help:

1) Planets. Organized by location (Core, Colonies, Mid, Outer, Unknown) and then by type (Settled/Non, Arboreal, Aquatic, Barren, Ecumenopolis, etc).
2) Races. First by human/near/non, then by position in the galaxy.
3) Ship types. It's annoying trying to come up with them on the fly. Having lists of freighters, star fighters, etc., sounds better.
4) Flora and Fauna. This might go with the planets, but I don't want any one list to be too huge.

This is a good idea or just useless planning?

I think that's great, if you also list what source they're in, if any.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Someone finished a Roll20 character sheet with integration with the existing diceroller :swoon:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Whelp.

Looks like both of my other two games have dried up. Someone needs to run more poo poo! Ideally an EotE game.

Degs
Mar 2, 2014

Friends invited me to a party, turned out to be a stealth Edge of the Empire game. I made a Zeltron Scoundrel. Charmin' Space Slugs for daaaaaaaays.

Seriously though, having the players roll both the good dice and the bad dice? That's loving awesome.

Druggeddwarf
Nov 9, 2011

My first attack must ALWAYS be a charge!
Hey guys, supposed someone were to say, off the top of my head, try to run an Escape from the Death Star as it makes it's way to Yavin IV game. What source materials are there out there in the expanded universe to use?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Druggeddwarf posted:

Hey guys, supposed someone were to say, off the top of my head, try to run an Escape from the Death Star as it makes it's way to Yavin IV game. What source materials are there out there in the expanded universe to use?

You can get a full set of blueprints for almost the entire station, it's pretty ridiculous. Otherwise, not really sure what else you would need.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Pick up a WestEndGames Death Star Technical Manual and you'll be good.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

alg posted:

Someone finished a Roll20 character sheet with integration with the existing diceroller :swoon:

Trip report: this thing owns. You put the difficulty dice/setback/upgrades whatever into the dice pool and click the die next to your skill. My players are all horribly lazy and this does a lot of the work for them.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

alg posted:

Trip report: this thing owns. You put the difficulty dice/setback/upgrades whatever into the dice pool and click the die next to your skill. My players are all horribly lazy and this does a lot of the work for them.

Fantasy Grounds has a nice module for this as well. I just need to try it our at some point - once the Only war campaign I'm running has ended.

mongol
Oct 11, 2005

Ronald Reagan? The actor!?
Pardon me if this has already been covered, but is there any issue combining stuff from Age of Rebellion in an Edge of the Empire campaign? I just got the AoR Beginner Box and am wondering if I should make it available to my players.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
The two games should be totally compatible with each other. The only major difference is between Duty and Obligation - but a group can easily mix the two.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

mongol posted:

Pardon me if this has already been covered, but is there any issue combining stuff from Age of Rebellion in an Edge of the Empire campaign? I just got the AoR Beginner Box and am wondering if I should make it available to my players.

The signature abilities for EotE careers don't add on to AoR specializations, if I recall. They will need to track Duty and Obligation (which is fine, since they work differently).

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Recruiting for a new game:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3637875

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
So I don't know if it was the GM or not, but act 1 of Jewel of Yavin was boring as hell.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Springfield Fatts posted:

So I don't know if it was the GM or not, but act 1 of Jewel of Yavin was boring as hell.

Were you playing online or with friends? I haven't looked at it but have been really curious... problem is I'd rather play it fresh.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Fuzz posted:

Were you playing online or with friends? I haven't looked at it but have been really curious... problem is I'd rather play it fresh.

In the flesh. I'm hoping it will be like Beyond the Rim where the payoff comes later, but ugh we just had to trudge through it and it felt tedious. Could also be the group, where no one wants to play Oceans 11 in space, we all want it to go Smokin' Aces and descend into chaos.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Fuzz posted:

Also it's caf, not coffee in SW. I'm going to start penalizing people's exp at the end of each op after this one for not staying in theme with curses and simple stuff like that. It's ruining MY immersion. :colbert:

Is there any kind of "real life" -> "star wars" translation guide for stuff like this? I'm not part of Fuzz's game but it seems like something useful to have for every star wars game.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Uploadin a 385MB zip of art for online games. PM me if you want access :ninja:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'd PM you if I had the ability to :(

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
What's the general consensus on what product to initially purchase? The Beginner box or the Core Rulebook plus dice?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

FordCQC posted:

What's the general consensus on what product to initially purchase? The Beginner box or the Core Rulebook plus dice?

How serious are you going to be about the game? Both are great products, and owning the beginner's game isn't necessarily redundant.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Not sure yet. I don't mind buying gamebooks I'll never play, I've already got more than a few that haven't never seen use. Since the beginner game is pretty cheap, maybe I'll just grab that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

FordCQC posted:

The more the people you'll play with are known to embrace new RPGs, the less the Beginner Set does for you. Even if you are RPG experts, the Beginner Set is still dice, tokens, a map, and an intro adventure. Keep in mind that since the characters are pre-gens, their advancement is limited and also pre-generated. If you want to play it much at all beyond that adventure, you will absolutely need the core book.

• Locked thread