Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Mind Loving Owl posted:

Mothers almost always unconditionally love their children> some of these children will be liberals> a mother's love is worthless and anti conservative.

Obviously, Mother's Day is a liberal plot to advance the gay agenda, since Mother's sounds like the plural of Mothers which implies lesbian relationships, which mean Mothers Day is a celebration of lesbians corrupting our children. All you need to do is lose the apostrophe, and we're living in a hedonistic lesbian game of house!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

FADEtoBLACK posted:

The first time I ever heard about Conservapedia was when Andy went on the Colbert Report. Steven really did a good job showing this guy acts intelligent, knows the necessary steps needed to sound intelligent, but in the end he isn't all mentally there. Plus that whole "the bible isn't conservative enough" really showed that this was all a joke about extreme denial of reality.

After watching that segment, I can no longer hate him. There's something genuinely wrong with him. He needs some kind of medical intervention. His laugh is creepy, like a machine replication of a laugh:

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/9o2lyz/andy-schlafly

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Jesus Christ on a cracker, Andy really is insane. Just on his listing of why people come to his website he's wrong on 2 out of three (only the liberal bias thing was right) and ignores a fourth; that people go there to laugh at stupidity. I mean hell, on the first two points he's making a shambles of them right there, both his accuracy and honesty suck and so does his gossip bullshit

http://www.conservapedia.com/Colbert

L the gently caress O L

quote:

His show, The Colbert Report, gained credibility by featuring Conservapedia on December 8, 2009, including an interview in his studio.
Go on :allears:

quote:

Colbert's interviews are short and almost never serious, where Colbert's character often jokes around and never to the point, making often unrelated jokes and random obvious fallacies.
:irony:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If his mother was your mother, I'd wager you'd also be batshit insane too. The "nature vs. nurture" argument is far from settled but in Andy's case I'm fine betting heavily on "nurture".

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Shbobdb posted:

If his mother was your mother, I'd wager you'd also be batshit insane too. The "nature vs. nurture" argument is far from settled but in Andy's case I'm fine betting heavily on "nurture".

I believe it. His laugh in particular really seems like something conditioned that conceals PTSD. He should start a support group with Michael Reagan.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

I believe it. His laugh in particular really seems like something conditioned that conceals PTSD. He should start a support group with Michael Reagan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxQp0oa0G98

...inevitably reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIf4HUj5BV4

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Shbobdb posted:

True, his mother's batshit too. I wonder if his "career" homeschooling kids has been affected in any meaningful way due to the "liberal agenda"

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Jack Gladney posted:

No, his gay brother should. Growing up gay is tough enough in America. I can't imagine what it would have been like in that household.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Somfin posted:

The entire idea of Biblical literalism, apart from Ussher's calculations (which were laughed out of the academy even in his era), sprang out of a fear of people teaching evolution in schools.
I'm probably not reading this right, but it's kind of the reverse: Nobody would have cared about evolution being taught in school if it wasn't for biblical literalism.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

OneEightHundred posted:

I'm probably not reading this right, but it's kind of the reverse: Nobody would have cared about evolution being taught in school if it wasn't for biblical literalism.

A bit of both. Some people were offended by the very idea of evolution and went full literalist and others were drawn to literalism for other reactionary reasons and picked up literalism as part and parcel.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfrWchX5rAU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

A bit of both. Some people were offended by the very idea of evolution and went full literalist and others were drawn to literalism for other reactionary reasons and picked up literalism as part and parcel.

Literalism was a thing that actual wars were fought about 300 years before Darwin was born. It's historical coincidence (although not *that* coincidental) that most of the streams of Protestantism in America are at the extreme end of the literalist spectrum. Evolution vs. creationism is a much less contentious issue in most of the rest of the world (and a lot of the noise about it in Britain is coming from fundamentalist Muslims, which would probably make Schafly's head explode if he didn't already have weapons-grade cognitive dissonance coping strategies).

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I wouldn't say that the wars of religion were due to literalism. Linguistic and cultural issues, as well as some theological ones like episcopalianism but not literalism. Fundamentalism is a modern movement as exists as a reaction to social and scientific developments. If you have access to academic journals, this blurb should give you some of the big names to look up. It's a fascinating journey.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

After watching that segment, I can no longer hate him. There's something genuinely wrong with him. He needs some kind of medical intervention. His laugh is creepy, like a machine replication of a laugh:

http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/9o2lyz/andy-schlafly

More than once I've heard Phyllis Schlafly be called real-life Delores Umbridge. As time goes on, the comparison gets more relevant. :gonk:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Hey guys, remember that time when Barack Obama helped his law professor write an article about applying the theory of relativity to the abortion issue? Andy does. Also, Obama was lazy in law school (it's cause he black, you see).

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

grate deceiver posted:

Also, Obama was lazy in law school (it's cause he black, you see).

quote:

The laziest president in American history, Barack Obama, is having his wife deliver his weekly address.[4]

I guessed Conservativenewsandviews.com. It was Teapartycrusaders.com. Oh well, it was 50/50.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
Yeah, you see, Obama is just a lazy friend of the family. Bush taking more vacation time than any other just means he had so much work that overloaded him.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I wasn't aware of the vacation thing with Bush. However, since he used to be the director of the cia, I imagine aworld lot of that vacation was clandestine meetings.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Not that Bush

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shbobdb posted:

I wasn't aware of the vacation thing with Bush. However, since he used to be the director of the cia, I imagine aworld lot of that vacation was clandestine meetings.

George W. Bush. Not H. W.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Who? Never heard of him.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.conservapedia.com/George_W._Bush

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I think the only one that took more time than "our master savior of the gol 'dern US of fuckin' A you poor scum euro-peasents and lazy foreig'rs George Dubya Bush" was John Adams way back around 1800.

quote:

When Bush entered office, his popularity rating was near 50%. However, after the September 11 attacks, his popularity rose significantly, reaching an all-time high of 90%.[29] Since, then, though, it declined as some of his policies have become unpopular (largely due to the media's persistently negative -- and biased -- reporting on the Iraq War and misrepresentation of his policies).

drat lie-beral media reporting negative issues on a negative war that was unneeded (yet we'll ignore the same media doing such for Clinton and his fuckups)

quote:

In 2007, Bush had an approval rating of only 24%. [31] The same poll gave the Democratic controlled Congress an approval rating of only 11%). [32]

See, those Democrats were worse because they are.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 11, 2014

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Congress always has super-low approval ratings, that's just science.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Congress always has super-low approval ratings, that's just science.

"My Congressman is awesome, but everyone else's suck rear end" x 435

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

"My Congressman is awesome, but everyone else's suck rear end" x 435

Ha, I live in a gerrymandered-as-gently caress district in Austin, so my representative is horrible Tea Party rear end in a top hat McCaul, so take that! :colbert:

Oh wait, poo poo
:smithicide:

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

VitalSigns posted:

Ha, I live in a gerrymandered-as-gently caress district in Austin, so my representative is horrible Tea Party rear end in a top hat McCaul, so take that! :colbert:

Oh wait, poo poo
:smithicide:

My former representative helped make Freedom Fries a thing, hooray.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Wait were freedom fries really a thing? Anywhere?

I remember in training on an army base, one of my friends asked for freedom fries in the dining facility and nobody got the joke. And this was in 2003 during the rampup. Did restaurants somewhere actually change their menus?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Yes. They were. So was freedom toast. Or well, replacing "French" anything with "freedom" if it was in America.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

VitalSigns posted:

I remember in training on an army base, one of my friends asked for freedom fries in the dining facility and nobody got the joke. And this was in 2003 during the rampup. Did restaurants somewhere actually change their menus?

The GOP made the Congressional cafeterias change the name on their menus. I don't know if any real restaurants followed suit.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I think you're wrong. Controlling language to remove words that offend them is what liberals do.

quote:

Politically correct restrictions on what we can say and how we say it have been imposed by leftists to restrict debate and silence opposition.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Politically_correct

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

grate deceiver posted:

Hey guys, remember that time when Barack Obama helped his law professor write an article about applying the theory of relativity to the abortion issue? Andy does. Also, Obama was lazy in law school (it's cause he black, you see).

Dear god, Andy is one of the worst public speakers ever. I'm kind of curious about his legal record though. I wonder how successful of a lawyer is he, since it doesn't seem like he's capable of making a winning argument. But who knows!

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

VitalSigns posted:

They were in my high school around the same year, though this was semi-rural Texas and only for a couple weeks, a month tops if I'm remembering it right.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

PostNouveau posted:

The GOP made the Congressional cafeterias change the name on their menus. I don't know if any real restaurants followed suit.

In Lincoln, Nebraska, there's a restaurant called "Honest Abe's Burgers and Freedom," where they cheekily call them freedom fries. Really, it fits the insane theme of the restaurant, but it's kind of dumb in 2014.

EDIT: It opened in 2012, so it's not like they just capitalized on it back during Iraq and never bothered to change it...

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 11, 2014

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Cemetry Gator posted:

Dear god, Andy is one of the worst public speakers ever. I'm kind of curious about his legal record though. I wonder how successful of a lawyer is he, since it doesn't seem like he's capable of making a winning argument. But who knows!

Well, he tried to argue (unsuccessfully) that you should be able to recall senators because George Washington once mentioned it in a letter.

http://www.poetv.com/video.php?vid=81649

Watch all 5 clips. It's amazing to see him get completely owned when he's not inside his little Conservapedia bubble.

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 11, 2014

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

mintskoal posted:

Watch all 5 clips. It's amazing to see him get completely owned when he's not inside his little Conservapedia bubble.

It's really awesome to see him up against an actual expert instead of the 'best of the public.'

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

It's really awesome to see him up against an actual expert instead of the 'best of the public.'

All I saw was a bunch of close minded activist judges refuse to acknowledge the possibility that Andy was right.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I loved the bearded judge going into a double face palm/possible headdesk while Andy's failing. You can just see him screaming in his mind "shutup moron....Shutup Moron...SHUTUP MORON!....GO loving DIE IN A GUTTER MORON!"

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

It's just painful to hear him argue, since all he has is that letter, and his only justification is "Well, it was written right after the convention!" And these guys are like "Here's all this stuff about why they gave senators a six year term, here's where they had it in the Articles of Confederation and they didn't include it in the Constitution" and he's like "But yeah, but look at this letter George Washington wrote. GEORGE WASHINGTON!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Cemetry Gator posted:

It's just painful to hear him argue, since all he has is that letter, and his only justification is "Well, it was written right after the convention!" And these guys are like "Here's all this stuff about why they gave senators a six year term, here's where they had it in the Articles of Confederation and they didn't include it in the Constitution" and he's like "But yeah, but look at this letter George Washington wrote. GEORGE WASHINGTON!"

Better than that is when Andy tries to give his masterstroke of "I searched for 'recall' in the Federalist Papers and not a single result" to which the judge then cites, off the top of his head, which of the federalist papers touch on the issue in general even if they didn't use the word recall.

It's great because it shows how all their bullshit is cargo cult constitutionalism. They never spend time engaging with the history of legal interpretations. Some nutter reads the source material and writes a bunch of bullshit based on their own insane interpretation, and then they pass it around while smugging it up over not being sheeple.

So the night before his appearance before the court he was probably really pleased with himself for doing "real" research by actually trying to find support within the Federalist Papers. Then, the next day, the judge rebukes him the same way a teacher would a student for being lazy with homework.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 12, 2014

• Locked thread